Jumpman (ioSMB4) Development

If it doesn't fit elsewhere, it should go here
Cake

Post » 05 Jun 2014, 03:47

Image Courtesy of 102. Original:
Characters
There's Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, Wario, Toad, and Peach. All of them are planned to be playable.
Mario is average in all stats, Luigi can jump higher but has less friction, Wario can deal damage to enemies when running (at full speed on the P-Meter) but has shorter jumps, Toad can run faster but has shorter jumps, and Peach runs slower but has her 'float' ability.
Yoshi is kind of a different case altogether;
He works as he did in Yoshi's Island, as in he can eat enemies, throw eggs, ground pound, and flutter jump.
However, he can flutter jump less frequently in than Yoshi's Island, (aka less times mid-air; you can't do it nearly indefinitely.) and he can only carry 3 eggs at a time.
Not only this, but he can only use 3 of the 9 power-ups.
Essentially, he's an "Easy Mode" character but cannot completely become overpowered.
Power-ups.
As I mentioned earlier, we currently have 9 power-ups.
3 are common, 3 are semirare, and 3 are rare in another sense.
The first 3 can easily be found in ? blocks across the game. They're also the ones that Yoshi's limited to.
There's Fire Flower we all know and love, of which I don't need to explain.
There's the new Battpack which stuns nearby enemies with electricity so that you can simply walk into them to defeat them. This has limited uses, but can be refilled by coins; the reason for limited uses (which should be around 8 at the start of the level) is that you can hold it down, and continuously run and shock enemies. The range that you shock enemies will decrease over that specific usage, but will reset upon the next use. Using the battery will only last about 2-3 seconds in total, as to not make this the most overpowered power-up.
It is strictly limited to 8 uses, so use them well.
The FLUDD power-up does as it does in SMS; spraw water. However, it doesn't transform like in Sunshine. The water does deal a lot of knock back to enemies, though, so it's good for those platforms that you don't want to jump on because there's an enemy in the way.
GIFs (Animations without sheets that are probably on the unfinished / unpolished side, save a select few)
The first couple dozen attempts at spriting, of which nearly none of them will really be this finalized.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Short-Term Items:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Enemies:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Blocks:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Coins:
Image Image Image Image Image Image

Background Objects:

Misc.:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Sheets (Animations in a sheet form, only to be recompiled later for an actual engine)
The second few dozen attempts at spriting, in sheet form to make it look like I did more work
Well, most of them are in sheet form.
Veggies: Image
Randomized expressions for each one you pull out to create some variety in the game.
Note to self: add in the last 2 new veggies

Scoresheet: Image

Thwomps: Image Image Image
Golden variation creates shockwaves, and the sheet to the right of it is the thwomp's effects that were pasted over it.
Revamped animation thanks to MM102.

Thwimps: Image, and Image, a golden variation that tries to land specifically on you.

Angry Sun: Image
Note to self: make angry moon

Phanto Masks: Image Image Image
There is no difference between the recolors, except for the nightmare version on the right which will chase you, even after dropping the key.
Because honestly, it's a lot more fun to go through SMB2 without dropping the key every few seconds.

SMW Disco Light Ball: Image Image

Hourglasses: Image Image
Because stopwatches are already planned to make a reappearance from SMB2, I can't use the same thing for items that add time to the game's timer.

Unfinished Shy Guy sheet: Image
The golden masks (on the right) were originally intended to be the shy guys that you could stand on, but now it's going to be white shy guys with colored masks.
Either that, or I'll give in and edit the Yoshi's Island DS sprites.
Yeah, I'll do that.
Anyways, snifit and blank Shy Guy masks are planned as well, as the blank masked-shy guys walk off of edges.
Also note the additional masks in the lower-right area; there's Anti Guy sprites, Phanto Guy sprites, and 2 alternate masks for the plain Shy Guy.
Anti Guys would only come in one color: black. They also chase you, and even jump 2 blocks high to reach the platform you're on.
Phanto Guys would summon a Phanto when they're picked up or defeated.
Unfinished for the time being because I didn't want to go back for the fourth time to redo/add to the sprites.

Roto Discs: Image
Square version since that's what my spritesheet came with.
Demo of the roto discs, since it's hard to tell what it'll look like.

Ninjis: Image
Bottom row is the walking animation, which is referencing the rather weird way that Ninjis walked in SMB2 due to limitations.
Note to self: Publish the recolored pink version that I've recolored since this image.

Hoopsters: Image Image
Yellow and green versions move faster when you intersect their vine, like in SMB2.

Trouters: Image
No difference between versions.

SMB3 bug: Image
Renhoek wanted this to be the horizontal version of the hoopsters.
It didn't work out, but at least there's a new animation for it.

Shells: Image
Shells... the iron/grey one sinks in water.

Cobrats: Image

Mystery Box: Image
From SM3DL/SM3DW.

Warp Box: Image
From SM3DL/SM3DW.

Bouncy Things: Image
Trampolines and things.

Cheep Cheeps: Image
I feel like there's a few frames of animation missing from here, but apparently not.
Or I could do the fish-out-of-water one.
And the vertical jumping that some fish do.
Dang it.
(Yellow one is from NSMBW)
Credits
Imaginary Cake: 95% of everything (story, concept, sprites, etc)
alesan- coding
Victinistar- wasting my time concepts
Hans- cookie-related sprites mostly, as well as feedback on other sprites
MM102- pipe recolors and help with more sprites, as well as feedback
MM102 again- the awesome logo at the top of this post
Idiot9.0- undeserved praise
Last edited by Cake on 10 Jul 2015, 10:24, edited 78 times in total.

Wilo

Post » 05 Jun 2014, 04:32

If there is anything needed, I've pretty much given up my old project (Awesome Bros.) which was a if-only telling of the original SMB. Of course I have a ton of concepts, I can perfectly well see in the vision of what you want to achieve with this project, and I will standby at assistance if needed.

Cake

Post » 05 Jun 2014, 06:26

I appreciate your help, Wilo. Tell me if you have any unique enemies or level mechanics you'd like to donate.

I also have the first poll ready:

Question 1:
Image or Image?
(Quick note: I did animate electricity on those batteries, but you can't see them with this forum's background. They have the same electric animations, so have the second one's animation: imgur link.

Question 2:
Should these metal boxes (and metal caps) (ImageImageImage) be recolored to their individual characters, keep them the same, (If I were to recolor them, the boxes might look like the invisible and wing cap boxes from SM64) or choose a different way to represent metal altogether?

idiot9.0

Post » 05 Jun 2014, 08:30

#1: The Green one looks better, since the colors don't clash that much. The blue one just mixes with they yellow too much making it hard to see where one color ends.

#2: Keep the Metal Block the same color for everyone, keep the hats different like you've already done. (Since I have no idea how they show up, just make the hats pop out of the block like a normal powerup. Obvious but stating anyway)

alesan99

Post » 05 Jun 2014, 14:07

Well I'm not sure if you told anyone but I'm planning to make a demo of the game (and it's very possible that'll all do more)
I should probably start the engine. It won't take long since I already have the collision engine ready.
I'll post progress here.

Polls
1. I like the green one better

2. The colors should stay the same. You could change the crown to look like the metal(?) peach in mario kart 8.

Cake

Post » 06 Jun 2014, 01:26

I'm just noting how the third metal power-up, the one with a nightcap, isn't really being of any question.

Anyways,
idiot9.0 wrote:(Since I have no idea how they show up, just make the hats pop out of the block like a normal powerup. Obvious but stating anyway)
So the hats should appear individually? Without the metal block?
I don't plan on making the metal block physical, just a part of the power-up itself sprite itself. If it looks better without the block, I'm going to animate the hats with a shine anyway.
(The player that hits the block gets their respective hat out, although any player can collect this in multiplayer. Or that's the plan, at least.)
I also need to do that for the bricks already.

and
alesan99 wrote:Well I'm not sure if you told anyone but I'm planning to make a demo of the game (and it's very possible that'll all do more)
People were asking why I was still doing this, (as they thought I had given up) and I replied with you offering a demo- I wanted to take the opportunity, in short.

Also, since the long list of Mario (and Luigi and Peach) spriting looks difficult, I think I'm going to either get them from the Super Mario Advance versions of SMB2 and SMB3, the All-Stars versions of those games, or find someone else's online.
And I'm not going to directly take them either, as I plan on editing them for the respective power-ups I want. Not to mention that I have to redo the shading to keep everything uniform.
I also plan on taking a crack at trying to do Yoshi, depending on the outcome I might do the 5th character as well.

Edit:
ImageImageImage

In the preview, they had a delay from each other and it looked really cool.
I'm going to work on something else, though.

Cake

Post » 06 Jun 2014, 20:53

(The bubbles again aren't visible because of the blog background...)
I made a skull potion, a more powerful version of the fire flower turning you into a dry bones- like form. It also gives you invulnerabilities to fire, and being smashed isn't a problem. (Not the off-screen smashing, though...)
Basically an ultimate castle power-up.
And then it looks a little off to me... I'll go make a different version and create another poll for it plus some, as only Idiot and alesan have voted so far.

Edit:
I didn't spend time animating this one, but I will if it's voted.

Edit Edit:
Now that I look at it, nothing's really different.
So nevermind for now, I'm going to add more frames to the animation of the second one, since it's the one I prefer.
Last edited by Cake on 06 Jun 2014, 21:30, edited 2 times in total.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 06 Jun 2014, 20:58

imaginary cake wrote: AImage
(The bubbles again aren't visible because of the blog background...)
I made a skull potion, a more powerful version of the fire flower turning you into a dry bones- like form. It also gives you invulnerabilities to fire, and being smashed isn't a problem. (Not the off-screen smashing, though...)
Basically an ultimate castle power-up.
And then it looks a little off to me... I'll go make a different version and create another poll for it plus some, as only Idiot and alesan have voted so far.
There, "fixed"...

Nice looking, Cake!

Cake

Post » 06 Jun 2014, 21:51

Thanks for the "fixing", although I didn't animate any bubbles on this one so far:
Although I still don't know what's missing.
I'm going to go look up potion animations now.

Edit:
It yeilded this:
Anyways, in reply to Idiot, I'll keep the old one then.
And then I'll go off to what I posted earlier with all those 'plans'.
Last edited by Cake on 06 Jun 2014, 22:04, edited 1 time in total.

idiot9.0

Post » 06 Jun 2014, 21:55

Honestly the first one had it almost spot on with the potion animation. I liked that one a lot. The liquid's constantly moving and you can see a few bubbles. It's good.

Cake

Post » 07 Jun 2014, 02:36

I found some old IOSMB4 drawings and updated them slightly.

Because I have power-saving mode on my 3DS on, the colors are less bright.
So when I upload them to a normal computer, they appear super-neon.
Oh well.

Edit:
ImageImage
Some water bottle refreshments for Mario, when he has FLUDD, since water pools are probably going to be scarce.
(They turned out a lot better than I thought they would!)

Edit:
How should I animate a hard hat?
It's yet another power-up, but spinning is kind of a bland animation. Well, when you overuse it like in Super Mario Galaxy.

Cake

Post » 07 Jun 2014, 04:30

Well, I'm going to double-post (again) (and not because of keeping the topic active, because of actual updates) and show off the POW block I just did:
ImageImage
I decided to create some variations of the gold one for another poll:
A: Image (White POW text)
B: Image (Flashing white and light yellow POW text)
C: Image (Light yellow text)
Yeah, in the end it probably wouldn't make a difference, but this kind of thing (polling for the best options) stacks up over time.
It's the small details that count.
(Also: There are differences between blue, gold, and red: Blue is a single-hit static block, red can be carried, and gold regenerates over time. Gold also collects any coins on-screen.)
Anyways,

I have a new poll.

Question 1:
Which gold POW block do you prefer? Should it be able to be picked up?

Question 2:
How should I animate a miner's hat without spinning it?
Reference:
Question 3:
Should the hat include a gas mask? (The abilities of the miner hat include having a headlight for dark areas and being able to throw sticks of dynamite / bombs.)

Question 4:
Any ideas for a collectible, besides star/blue/red/purple/comet coins? How many should appear in a single level?

Question 5:
Should world-specific objects bee unlocked in the level editor upon completion of the world? Collection of all of the collectibles in the world? Or should they all be available from the start? (If they're all available from the start, they could / will contain spoilers.) (If not, I want a function of the collectibles other than unlocking another bonus areas and worlds.)

Mari0Maker

Post » 07 Jun 2014, 04:58

imaginary cake wrote:Well, I'm going to double-post (again) (and not because of keeping the topic active, because of actual updates) and show off the POW block I just did:
ImageImage
I decided to create some variations of the gold one for another poll:
A: Image (White POW text)
B: Image (Flashing white and light yellow POW text)
C: Image (Light yellow text)
Yeah, in the end it probably wouldn't make a difference, but this kind of thing (polling for the best options) stacks up over time.
It's the small details that count.
(Also: There are differences between blue, gold, and red: Blue is a single-hit static block, red can be carried, and gold regenerates over time. Gold also collects any coins on-screen.)
Anyways,

I have a new poll.

Question 1:
Which gold POW block do you prefer? Should it be able to be picked up?

Question 2:
How should I animate a miner's hat without spinning it?
Reference:
Question 3:
Should the hat include a gas mask? (The abilities of the miner hat include having a headlight for dark areas and being able to throw sticks of dynamite / bombs.)

Question 4:
Any ideas for a collectible, besides star/blue/red/purple/comet coins? How many should appear in a single level?

Question 5:
Should world-specific objects bee unlocked in the level editor upon completion of the world? Collection of all of the collectibles in the world? Or should they all be available from the start? (If they're all available from the start, they could / will contain spoilers.) (If not, I want a function of the collectibles other than unlocking another bonus areas and worlds.)
Question 1: I think it should be C, to stay with the gold theme of it.

Question 2: I really don't know on this one. Maybe try making a version where it spins, and then improvise from there?

Question 3: No, as I really don't see a point in this. It just wouldn't fit at all. And, instead of sticks of dynamite, just make it bombs, as this is what I believe Nintendo would do. ;)

Question 4: Maybe make some major collectable in each world, with there being three of them in each world? As for how much in a single level, I say just one, whereas the major collectable, there could be of course three of them per world.

Question 5: Yes, as it may spoiler the game otherwise. Yes again. No, not available from the start, it would make the player not fully care about the actual game. For unlocking them, um... maybe have that be the major collectable? I'm once again not sure about this one.

I would also try reanimating the bottled water, to be honest. It doesn't really look like they're spinning to me. :S

Cake

Post » 07 Jun 2014, 07:03

Mari0Maker wrote: Question 3: No, as I really don't see a point in this. It just wouldn't fit at all. And, instead of sticks of dynamite, just make it bombs, as this is what I believe Nintendo would do. ;)
Just a random thought, as I was looking up miner's hats on Google images and I saw one with a gas mask. That's also part of the reason why I ask these questions.
Mari0Maker wrote: I would also try reanimating the bottled water, to be honest. It doesn't really look like they're spinning to me. :S
The large one is undeniably spinning, but I do admit the smaller one could use some work.
It's circular, though and that's hard to animate in a spinning fashion.
But at least it should be more identifiable in water-type environments, with the animation.

Also:
Bomb Bit.

When it blows up, it'll shoot you a block or two away.
They should be really annoying on small platforms.

idiot9.0

Post » 07 Jun 2014, 07:32

Q1/ I honestly prefer A. I like the white text more than the others.

Q2/ Not all powerups need to be animated you know. Look at the All-Stars version of SMB3, the tanooki, frog, and hammer suits didn't animate when they came out of blocks. However, if you want it animated, make the helmet's light flash on and off.

Q3/ Unless you plan on utilizing gas somewhere in the game, don't include the mask. It's unnecessary.

Q4/ One idea is make a little golden statue of some stage element from the world. EX: If it's a dessert based world, a golden cake. Or maybe just statues of Mario characters, like Mario, Peach, Luigi, Toad, etc. etc.
Make them appear once in a level, and only a few times a world. Maybe have the level indicate if there's a statue after it's beaten.

Q5/ I like Maker's suggestion with having the collectible from Q4 be what unlocks it. You could also just make a shop and use the coins you collect in the game, normal or star, to purchase the tiles for use.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 07 Jun 2014, 13:29

1. I prefer A, it seems a lot "cleaner". The light yellow seems so "dirty" sometimes...
2. Maybe flickering the light going out of it a bit?
3. Sure, it'd look awesome too!
4. Maybe a different PUP, like a freezing fireballs one...
5. I think they should be unlockable per world. This way it's not like "Hey, I'll open this game to make some levels and then exit". You're not forcing anyone to play the game to USE the editor, but let them play the game to get extra things ;)

Vakema123

Post » 07 Jun 2014, 19:41

This isn't an answer to any poll, but rather just a suggestion.
Make the coins worth something. Something other than just 1-ups, or points, or collectibles. Something that makes you treasure them.

Cake

Post » 07 Jun 2014, 20:34

Yeah, I've been wanting to do that for awhile.
I don't want a shop necessarily, though.
It doesn't quite fit the Mario series. (Especially with all those Toad Houses...)
(Well, shops do make sense. Just in the RPGs, though.)

On a side note...

*cough*

Mirrored versions are so that you don't have items facing away from you.
I'm also planning on left-scrolling levels as well, as it's a simple yet powerful level mechanic.

and then a gas maskless helmet that I did last night and forgot to upload.

and then a 1-up

Edit again:

and again:

and again again:
Last edited by Cake on 07 Jun 2014, 22:30, edited 1 time in total.

Wilo

Post » 07 Jun 2014, 22:18

I think a plausible idea would be to have gas zones that will normally kill the player in a set amount of time unless they had a gas mask/metal/bone etc.
Perhaps the gas can be a foreground in the form of a haze, not only making it hard to see, but allowing the player to know they're in a zone.
And fog, too. Just so you can't see very well. Maybe a propeller or something could clear it.

Cake

Post » 08 Jun 2014, 22:33

Neither of those were planned, but they sound like good ideas of sorts.
While I'm not having the propeller mushroom, I want to add the rocket Nozzle for FLUDD- now that I look at it, they're nearly identical, with the exception of one running on a limiting water supply + some more timing is involved.
I've decided to vote no on the gas mask, however.
The bone / metal power-ups will do.

Edit:
Image Image
These two gemstones have been a concept for a long time, and they're how you get the more powerful power-ups above the Fire Flower, Battpack, and FLUDD.

But in order to explain how they work, let me classify all of the power-ups first:
Tier 0 is where Mario is in his small or mini forms; a single hit can result in a lost life.
Tier 1 is where Mario is in his super form, representative by the Super Mushroom.
Tier 2 is where all of the common power-ups lay, like the Fire Flower, Ice Flower, and Super Leaf are. They're commonly found in ? blocks.
Tier 3 is where more rare and powerful power-ups are; they're found in Toad houses throughout the serise. These power-ups can also be more powerful than existing T2 ones, like the Tanooki suit over the Super Leaf, or the Penguin Suit over the Ice Flower. They can be found in ? blocks, but are rare and are found like this only in a few levels.
Stars and Mega Mushrooms lie outside of this, because they don't really change Mario's after-form- like Yoshi, or Lakitu's cloud for example.

I've gone and created more powerful versions of IOSMB4's T2 power-ups, of which are the Fire Flower, Battpack, and FLUDD.
The more powerful versions are the Skull Potion, Metal Cap, and Hover Nozzle respectively.

Those power-ups may be found in ? blocks from time to time, in Toad Houses, or can be made with the Emerald gemstone; you create the power-ups by collecting the gemstone between two of the same T2 power-ups, or a T2 power-up and a Mushroom. If you are hit after collecting the gemstone, (but before the second T2 power-up / mushroom) the process will be canceled. You won't take damage, though.

The same process applies to the Sapphire, but instead with 2 different T2 power-ups; in doing so, you 'combine' them and create something else.
Like the Magic Paintbrush, (from SMS) Hardy Hat, or Rocket/Dash Nozzles for FLUDD.

If you collect two gemstone consecutively, you will earn extra lives instead of another power-up; 3 lives for two Emeralds, 5 lives for a Emerald + Sapphire combo, and 7 lives for two Sapphires.
These gemstones will also carry over from the previous level, and onto the world map, where you can manage them on the inventory screen and do it manually.

These gemstones appear in hidden ? blocks, or during a storm* on a level- they will not re-appear for the playtime of 5 other levels.

You can also collect two T2 power-ups (or a T2 power-up with a mushroom) with the sapphire to get the more powerful version of that T2 power-up along with an extra life.

*Storms appear as darkened Lakitu's clouds over levels, and only appear in world exposed to the sky. They move around like Hammer Bros on the world map, and when you play a level that the storm cloud is over, it will be raining in that level. The friction will also be lower.

Questions?
Suggestions?

Edit:
Image Image Image Image Image
Two Shy Guy variants, two chests, (for Toad houses) and a red coin from SMS.
I was really hoping someone would say something about the gemstones, but nope.

Wilo

Post » 08 Jun 2014, 22:57

Wait, how do levels end?
Is there a flagpole? A starblock?

Cake

Post » 09 Jun 2014, 03:27

I'm planning on a type of gate.
It's simple, stands like the SMW gate with a ring on it, and the ring flashes colors- get it on the right color, and you win a small minigame to get a single item.
No, no live rewards. That's part of the reason why I get 600 lives in SM3DL without even trying.

Anyways, I'm planning on hiding all of these subtle character references throughout the game.
Just people that you meet when inspecting something (like a shadow in this case) in one of the dozen populated levels we have.

HansAgain

Post » 09 Jun 2014, 03:45

imaginary cake wrote:...inspecting something...
Will it be a key to do that?(like "e" in any VALVE game)

Cake

Post » 09 Jun 2014, 03:53

Whatever key I assign to talking to background characters as well, probably along the lines of X.
I'm planning on a keyboard config as follows:
Left hand: Left Shift, Z, X, C, and Space.
Right hand: Arrow keys.
Shift is to run, space to jump, arrows to move, C to 'inspect' (likely to also perform the SMW spin jump), Z for item inventory and X for FLUDD or power-up functions that don't apply to the run button.
I believe in re-assigning the keys, but the one I described is the one I use for SMBX. I like it.
I'm also not a fan of moving fingers to other keys when playing, mostly for important functions that you'll want to use. I'll probably have each move be able to be assigned separate.

Defiant Shout

Post » 09 Jun 2014, 04:35

imaginary cake wrote:Whatever key I assign to talking to background characters as well, probably along the lines of X.
I'm planning on a keyboard config as follows:
Left hand: Left Shift, Z, X, C, and Space.
Right hand: Arrow keys.
Shift is to run, space to jump, arrows to move, C to 'inspect' (likely to also perform the SMW spin jump), Z for item inventory and X for FLUDD or power-up functions that don't apply to the run button.
I believe in re-assigning the keys, but the one I described is the one I use for SMBX. I like it.
I'm also not a fan of moving fingers to other keys when playing, mostly for important functions that you'll want to use. I'll probably have each move be able to be assigned separate.
I believe you should customize controls to how you like (If that's what you said or not), and since I don't want people having to figure out they have to change it, it should be something you configure the 1st time you open the game just so you can set it to something you're comfortable with (maybe even let mouse buttons be configurable). On another note, we will need a tutorial where when it tells you how to do stuff, and it lists the name of the key(s) you selected to do a function.

Cake

Post » 09 Jun 2014, 04:59

No.
No tutorials.
Instruction manual? Sure.
But tutorials need to be seamless, introduce the new concept, and not feel like the standard tutorial at all. Like the hidden one in SMW.
That's a good tutorial, essentially.
I guess we do have tutorials, though, and there are ones for the T3 power-ups...

MM102

Post » 09 Jun 2014, 06:20

this seams like a pretty cool project, mind if I help out? I see you haven't worked on any tilesets yet and have been more focused on power ups and game concepts, so it could be nice to have another artist to speed things up :3

Wilo

Post » 09 Jun 2014, 06:24

What coding language are you planning to use for all of this? It would be good to know quickly so I can learn the language and be able to help code.

Defiant Shout

Post » 09 Jun 2014, 07:16

MM102 wrote:this seams like a pretty cool project, mind if I help out? I see you haven't worked on any tilesets yet and have been more focused on power ups and game concepts, so it could be nice to have another artist to speed things up :3
We have, actually, worked out some tilesets. A VERY long time ago. And yes it will be helpful since I suck at making Gif files so much.
WiloKing wrote:What coding language are you planning to use for all of this? It would be good to know quickly so I can learn the language and be able to help code.
I believe Cake wants it in Lua, LÖVE, although neither of us can code in it. I really wish he chose something easier and more general like Java, but whatever.

Cake

Post » 09 Jun 2014, 07:24

Ninja'd.
MM102 wrote:this seams like a pretty cool project, mind if I help out? I see you haven't worked on any tilesets yet and have been more focused on power ups and game concepts, so it could be nice to have another artist to speed things up :3
I actually did tile sets a year ago, on the old thread to a degree.

As I remember, I did some Toy Box, Autumn Grass, Casino, and Tick Tock Clock tiles. However, I need to redo the shading on them since it's changed some.

But yeah, it would be great if you could create backgrounds to levels or something, since it's a far bigger space than I've ever managed. There's that, and then I've noticed that you generally use dimmer colors, something perfect for backgrounds.
If you don't want to help with the sexy parallax scrolling, then I'd suggest making tile sets. Specifically from this image, as there's a lot more to it.
Yeah, it's unfinished. I'm 98% done, and yet I don't finish.
WiloKing wrote:What coding language are you planning to use for all of this? It would be good to know quickly so I can learn the language and be able to help code.
At first it was C++, but I swapped it all over to Love soon thereafter.
It was supposed to be like that, but no coding was ever done until alesan approached me about a demo, of which I presume is in Lua/Love2D.

But yeah, I'd go with Lua/Love2D.

Also: I have no shortage of concepts.

Defiant Shout

Post » 09 Jun 2014, 07:28

imaginary cake wrote:Ninja'd.
I actually did tile sets a year ago, on the old thread to a degree.

As I remember, I did some Toy Box, Autumn Grass, Casino, and Tick Tock Clock tiles. However, I need to redo the shading on them since it's changed some.

But yeah, it would be great if you could create backgrounds to levels or something, since it's a far bigger space than I've ever managed. There's that, and then I've noticed that you generally use dimmer colors, something perfect for backgrounds.
If you don't want to help with the sexy parallax scrolling, then I'd suggest making tile sets. Specifically from this image, as there's a lot more to it.
Yeah, it's unfinished. I'm 98% done, and yet I don't finish.
At first it was C++, but I swapped it all over to Love soon thereafter.
It was supposed to be like that, but no coding was ever done until alesan approached me about a demo, of which I presume is in Lua/Love2D.

But yeah, I'd go with Lua/Love2D.

Also: I have no shortage of concepts.
I finished prior to you by like... 10 minutes xD

Also, as you can tell, we're stuck in the concepts stage because of lack of experience in coding and other ares, not because of a lack of concepts. We have plenty of those.

Vakema123

Post » 09 Jun 2014, 11:51

imaginary cake wrote: But tutorials need to be seamless, introduce the new concept, and not feel like the standard tutorial at all. Like the hidden one in SMW.
That's a good tutorial, essentially..
Things like this are game design at it's best. It has to be intuitive, or else the player feels like the game is looking down on them. No one likes having to be told what to do.

Cake

Post » 09 Jun 2014, 16:41

victinistar wrote: Also, as you can tell, we're stuck in the concepts stage because of lack of experience in coding and other ares, not because of a lack of concepts. We have plenty of those.
Can you stop saying that?
If we were stuck in the concept stage, then I wouldn't be doing all this art.
I think it's the fact that you're stuck in the concept stage. Not me. I've been doing sprites pretty much everyday when I get home, and it's paying off.

Defiant Shout

Post » 10 Jun 2014, 01:17

imaginary cake wrote:
victinistar wrote: Also, as you can tell, we're stuck in the concepts stage because of lack of experience in coding and other ares, not because of a lack of concepts. We have plenty of those.
Can you stop saying that?
If we were stuck in the concept stage, then I wouldn't be doing all this art.
I think it's the fact that you're stuck in the concept stage. Not me. I've been doing sprites pretty much everyday when I get home, and it's paying off.
Consider this: What have we done regarding anything but PICTURES. Pretty much NOTHING. So yea. Concept stage is what it is.

Cake

Post » 10 Jun 2014, 01:29

Code is being done. We both know this.

Besides, art is a VERY major part of the game.
And it doesn't matter what stage the game's in, what matters is how it's put together at this part.

Defiant Shout

Post » 10 Jun 2014, 02:03

imaginary cake wrote:Code is being done. We both know this.
One person. And not the whole game. Part of it.
imaginary cake wrote:Besides, art is a VERY major part of the game.
And it doesn't matter what stage the game's in, what matters is how it's put together at this part.
Exactly. So quit whining about what I'm saying. You literally just put ammo against yourself.

Cake

Post » 10 Jun 2014, 02:17

Stop acting like you're winning a pointless argument.
You read my quote wrong as well.
I don't care what you call it, it's not a concept stage. This is starting to be a real game now, with art, code, music, and story. And yes, I don't tell you about half these things becuase you either don't care or seemingly don't listen, or you argue about pointless things like this.
Please shut up so that we can get back to showing off progress and making polls.

alesan99

Post » 10 Jun 2014, 02:50

Some progress on the engine
* Map loading
* tiles
* player
* physics

My physics work, but they don't work like I want them to.

Cake

Post » 10 Jun 2014, 05:31

Well, I hope you can get them as close to SMB3 as possible.

Edit: Image

Defiant Shout

Post » 11 Jun 2014, 03:20

It's pretty close to the Luigi physics in the regard of high and float jumping, along with frictionless ground movement in smb2.

And I argue because you don't tell me things or say anything about anything then say you did. I don't like friends lying to friends. It's obnoxious that I have to argue for you to say what happens in the progression of stuff. I literally had to argue with you to figure out this topic existed. Tell me shit and I'll stop arguing. Simple as that.

Also, I thought it was going to be smb2 physics in regard to characters. Regardless, good luck on your progression. I wish I knew how to do this.

Cake

Post » 11 Jun 2014, 03:30

I'm more or less favoring the games where the character's movements are the most iconic:
Yoshi, in Yoshi's Island, can flutter jump. The ground pound may be revoked, though. Even then, he can still lay eggs. He can't access T3 power-ups, though, because that's overpowered.
Mario is just like how he's always been.
Luigi jumps higher, has less friction, but the float for him is minimal. He isn't as accessible when he's floating everywhere. His power-ups also differ slightly.
Peach controls like how she did in SMB2. Her power-ups will also differ a lot more from Luigi's.
The 5th character will probably have Toad's movements, plus more power-up changes.
And that's all that I really have, off of the top of my head.

alesan99

Post » 11 Jun 2014, 03:49

victinistar wrote:It's pretty close to the Luigi physics in the regard of high and float jumping, along with frictionless ground movement in smb2.
It won't stay like that though.

I wasn't talking the friction, speed, gravity i was talking about the collision.
I can easily change some variables to make the player heavier and faster.
In the gif I just put some random values.

Cake

Post » 13 Jun 2014, 01:54

Bubble blocks.
Stepping off of them will make them burst.

Edit:
Image Image
Just some recolors for today since I don't really have that much time to create something new.
I'm almost at 2 lines of art!

Notes to self:
Edit the Shy Guy's hood, make it look like it's actually bouncing.
Make the emerald an amber and make it fill the block.
Vivian lacks shading on the chest when in the "down" position. (Don't take that as a sexual joke.)
Make the gold coin spin faster.
Make it more evident that the leaces are moving in the Fire Flower
Fix FLUDD.
Animate Brick Block.
Make sure that everything has uniform shading.
Make the 1-UP less bright.
Add more frames to the Bob-omb.
Make the Hardy Hat animate slower.
Animate the chests...?
Uniform the bubble block's animation.
One more thing:
Expect a drawing of some poses of some of the costumes for Mario tomorrow, I've been enjoying drawing them.

HansAgain

Post » 13 Jun 2014, 02:22

Since you are not on Steam now:
I wanted it to have a pretty good texture, if you want to add some holes on the cake, just copy/paste the currently ones.
I know Cake Land won't have only slopes, i will do plain horizontal surfaces.

Cake

Post » 14 Jun 2014, 04:46

*cough*
Power-up costume designs for Mario.
I meant to include more costumes and more poses, but there's another time and place for that.
Expect Peach next.

Defiant Shout

Post » 14 Jun 2014, 06:21

imaginary cake wrote:*cough*
Power-up costume designs for Mario.
I meant to include more costumes and more poses, but there's another time and place for that.
Expect Peach next.
I suggested that Mario be wearing khakis just so the F.L.U.D.D. costume would be more aesthetically pleasing. Anyone agree/disagree?

Cake

Post » 14 Jun 2014, 06:31

You don't need to quote everything.
Especially when I make a big-a## post.

Edit:
It's time to celebrate, I made it to two lines of art!
Last edited by Cake on 14 Jun 2014, 06:43, edited 1 time in total.

Wilo

Post » 14 Jun 2014, 06:41

i've always wanted to rage about that
there is no need to quote the post right above.
thank you cake. now i don't have to do that.

Defiant Shout

Post » 14 Jun 2014, 21:53

I used to not, but sometimes my posts are onesentence and I like to have more than just one. So I quote.

Automatik

Post » 14 Jun 2014, 22:03

Well, still, don't quote unless it's actually useful. One sentence posts are ok as long as they add to the conversation.