Chat "Room" v3

If it doesn't fit elsewhere, it should go here
jumpinglizard

Post » 16 Jun 2016, 00:58

This was unexpected.

rokit

Post » 16 Jun 2016, 02:03

ye i guess this is the right moment to leave. i doubt anyone will truly miss me cos i never made mad mappacks or mods but i think i always delivered a different perspective to ur discussions.

i doubt i'll post on here again so cya

TurretBot

Post » 16 Jun 2016, 02:21

rokit wrote:i think i always delivered a different perspective to ur discussions.
well you're not wrong

also, this is my last post before something very grand happens

MagicPillow

Post » 16 Jun 2016, 03:23

oh

Mr.Q.Marx?

Post » 17 Jun 2016, 16:47

Wow. People are still here? Feels like the Game Development section of the forums went stagnant when Maurice announced SE was on hiatus. What are people talking about?

HugoBDesigner

Post » 17 Jun 2016, 17:22

E3

LightningFire

Post » 19 Jun 2016, 14:52

I didn't even post here all that often anyways, so it wouldn't do much of a difference anyways.
But I will stick around the Steam/Discord chat for who knows how long.

We all knew the forum was going to die at one point, but our group of people will stay strong for who knows how long now, and that's good enough for me.
Maurice wrote:
TurretBot wrote:I still hope Maurice can make a comeback someday, but for now I think it's best we stop prolonging the death of a forum.
To be fair, the idea behind making a forum was mostly for support of our games.
I think it's great that a community actually developed out of it, and people moving on to other platforms is not something I regret, as there's nothing to regret. It's simply nice that we were able to provide this opportunity for people to find friendships that hold this strong. I've met many great people on the Facepunch forums and have a lot of fond memories when I was active. I've moved on from FP, but that does not mean I will forget about the time.

My inactivity on this forum is mostly due to negative prior experiences with forums and me growing tired of this image I've created for myself of being rather rude and relentless, which I regret now.
I do gotta say though, for being considered "rude and relentless" by some, you and Sašo did wonders here.
It is amazing how such a great community was made, just from a group of people discovering a crossover game, and staying to talk about it.
That's not to say it hasn't happened with other games, since it definitely has. It's just great for us, you know?
If it weren't for this forums, there would be many things which would've probably never happened, people whom would've never met, friendships that wouldn't had even existed.

Like you said, there will be many things I'll never forget about the time I spent here, and that goes for many others.
All those moments were equally important to make us who we are today. Even in the forum's worst times, like the infamous mario lover, and the old Flutter Pie. I mean, we were even able to make a change to one of them, and they're now a very liked user here.
And obviously, there will be some people who either didn't get affected by any of this, or just don't care altogether.
But that's just them, since they obviously didn't see what we saw when we made the decision to stay.

I could just sit here and mention a list of things about how much these forums, and it's community have made an impact in my life as a whole.
Even the little things, since anything can change you, depending on how much importance you put into it.
-I didn't want to put this first on the list, but it's something that has been in the top of my head for a while, and that's Twatter Story. It might've looked dumb for a few people, but for those who did collaborate on it (at least for the first few chapters) can agree that it was entertaining as fuck. This also helped me into not only writing long texts like this, but it also sparked an interest in reading, especially when it's extensive.

-The way that I act right now, can be associated to here. For those who have been in the forum longer, should know I wasn't so bright, and I tried too hard to be funny. Well, that's exactly how I was in real life at the time, and it was obviously not working out. So things happened, and I changed my attitude, and that reflected to my real self too, which made me look better among my peers.

-Many of my current interests also derived from here. I mean, I probably would've never even considered watching FIM, which also links up to a lot of other experiences, both good and bad. Even though I have moved on from the show and the fandom, I still do appreciate anything related to it.

-My view on a lot of things would've probably been flawed too, if I hadn't been here. Things like homosexuals and genderfluid people would've looked bad in my eyes back then, but I've learnt to respect their decisions, mostly because they obviously aren't any different from us.

-I believe I would've never gotten into drawing either, or at least, not as early as I did. And I got Jorichi to thank for that. Not only did he serve as an inspiration to me, but he also guided me on how to do things right, and taught me a couple of things too.
I guess I could thank FIM for this too, since it was the fandom's art which got me interested.

-I should also thank once more, the people who bought stuff for me, mainly on Steam. I mean, it really struck me as awe-inspiring how generous those people were being to me. I mean, the most I've done for them is being there for them, and being a good friend in general. Just seeing the number of things they've bought, that's surprising by itself, including the fact I haven't done anything to make up for it.

-It also did let me have some close relationships with a number of you. But sadly, I haven't been able to keep them as strong as before, just because I'm shit like that. And they did originate for a lot of different reasons, from doing a collaboration together, to settling our differences together.

-Oh yeah, and there was a lot of collaborating here too. I wasn't part of many, but they were still there.

-It also drove me into putting more interest into other games aside Nintendo, since I would've probably only played Nintendo games by now if it weren't for that.

-In a sense, this forums also showed me how life can really be. It let me experience the worst kinds of people, the best, it let me experience how much people can change, either for bad or good.

-It also gave me an interest into making pixel art. I mean, I'm not really putting it into the test right now, but I do think I'll come back to it one day. Maybe when I'm completely confident with my drawings.

-A lot of good stories and inside jokes also originated from here.

I know there's more, but I tend to forget things. So I'll just leave it at that
So personally, I thank you for all of this.
I thank the both of you, Sašo and Maurice, for letting this happen. And I think I speak for many people when I say that.
The 4-5 years I've spent here are arguably the best I've ever spent on my entire life right now, and that's saying a lot.

Also, this might seem a bit like overreacting, but all of this doesn't lie.
As sappy as this may sound, you can't deny how much of a change this has done for many.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 19 Jun 2016, 18:43

I was going to get into the emotion train and talk about my experience around here and how the forums changed me, but I don't have plans of leaving anytime soon. Heck, I still visit the myApertureInnovations forums from time to time, and it is "technically-officially" dead. So yeah, you guys will have to put up with me for a loooooong time still.

Sašo
Stabyourself.net

Post » 19 Jun 2016, 19:02

Sappy posts remind me of I ended up actually meeting Maurice in the first place. If you go waaay back, Stabyourself.net wouldn't have existed without Garry's mod.

Of course, good memories don't have to just be old memories that stop being relevant. I appreciate you guys came and still come to Stabyourself.net, and you're always welcome back. I hope you keep it in good memory - and perhaps stick around. We're still active after all.

Jorichi

Post » 19 Jun 2016, 19:50

HugoBDesigner wrote:I was going to get into the emotion train and talk about my experience around here and how the forums changed me, but I don't have plans of leaving anytime soon. Heck, I still visit the myApertureInnovations forums from time to time, and it is "technically-officially" dead. So yeah, you guys will have to put up with me for a loooooong time still.
Welp, you got here first. I was just about to say the same. I have no interest in leaving. Not anytime soon.
It might be calm, but it's not the end. Maybe for Mari0, but not for this forum, not by a long shot... Certainly not for me...
that if Maurice would stop developing Mari0 or other games, that the content created by the community would keep things alive. Whether it was Mari0 related content or completely different games. This was mainly because there were (and still are) many creative and skilled people across various categories that all are their own thing in games.
And indeed, mock-up ideas started appearing, collaborations, teamwork or even solo projects. Though many didn't see it through to the end. A few of my own included.
Ofcourse there still are success stories to be found in Mappacks, Mods and even Games in Game Development.
So I'd like to see many more of those finished projects. I want to see people help each other out, team up, and create stuff that would make other people's jaw drop. Whether it's art, games, music or literature.
It just takes is a motivation boost (or even a helping hand if you can offer it) to those who show their projects for feedback. Bickering, snarky comments and "trying to be that forum veteran" behavior can be intimidating and demotivating to others. When you see a dying project, Instead of saying "is this dead yet?" why not poke them with a message filled with enthusiasm for their project? Help them back on track! Get involved!

I've been depressed for a while until not long ago. But I've finally managed to get out of that hole that I dug for myself. This is mainly why I haven't been showing updates on Becky. But that project is something I refuse to abandon even in my current situation. I've recently managed to pick it back up again, stronger than ever.
And if I can still be dedicated after what I've been through, then I'm pretty damn sure that any member reading this will have absolutely no problem finishing a project with help from friends on this forum all while you do something you enjoy doing.

I will always try to help out if I can, that's for sure.
Ah, so sappy. Yeah the forum holds a lot of good memories for me too. Made a ton of friends through this place. Learned a lot too.
So yeah *raises glass* here's to another five years to fill with sappy memories, things to learn and friends to make!

TurretBot

Post » 19 Jun 2016, 20:35

Jorichi wrote:another five years
Getting a little ahead of yourself there Jorichi, these forums are only four years old (as far as I know).

Also, I have no intention of leaving either but it does feel really silly having the most posts.

renhoek

Post » 20 Jun 2016, 04:26

Turret the sites been around longer than 4 years, you really have to stop trying to find any excuse to try and jump down anyone's throat or just make a post for the sake of it.

Anyway while we're all being sappy here.
This forum's really changed my life, I've met so many great people through this place, I even have a game development partner now which is something I never thought would happen. I've even developed feelings for a couple users but I'll go into that some other time.

as much as I may complain about the quality of posts I have no intention of ever leaving so long as the forums are still around, and even if the forums disappear I still have some of the best friends I could ever ask for.

I hope one day we can get the community excited again, but I think everyone's just migrated to all the ircs for conversations anyway. But who knows, I got a few games coming up, maybe one day I might post one and get people at least a little more interested. :P

TurretBot

Post » 20 Jun 2016, 10:48

renhoek wrote:Turret the sites been around longer than 4 years,
But not the forums, which is obviously what he was talking about, or I'm an idiot.
renhoek wrote:you really have to stop trying to find any excuse to try and jump down anyone's throat or just make a post for the sake of it.
I'm not even doing that, but hey gotta get that Turret insult in there for the status quo.

Costinteo

Post » 20 Jun 2016, 12:10

We sharing sappy stories?

I know I don't post here anymore, haven't visited in a long time either, but I wanted you all to know that I made a lot of good friends here that I still regularly talk to. I have some great memories with y'all. I still remember Dungeons and Twatter, that one Minecraft server we had once, when we played Terraria together, when we had a skype group. So many great memories. I've made some amazing bonds over here and I appreciate all the time I have spent with you all. Although I don't really post here anymore, I come by here from time to time to check what has happened. I have no doubt that this forum has played a big part of who I am today, I've learnt a lot on here. I still remember each and every one of you and everytime I see you guys in my Steam friendlist I remember an aspect that defined you, I doubt I'll ever forget any of you.

Now something that I personally think is fascinating: I found out about Mari0 through Pewdiepie. I was thinking, if I didn't watch that video that day, if I didn't click on it, what would have happened? I would have never posted here, never met any of you. Just thinking about it scares me, it scares me to think what my life would have been without you guys.

Thanks a lot, Stabyourself community.

renhoek

Post » 20 Jun 2016, 12:59

TurretBot wrote:
renhoek wrote:Turret the sites been around longer than 4 years,
But not the forums, which is obviously what he was talking about, or I'm an idiot.
renhoek wrote:you really have to stop trying to find any excuse to try and jump down anyone's throat or just make a post for the sake of it.
I'm not even doing that, but hey gotta get that Turret insult in there for the status quo.
But I didn't insult you, I was telling you to stop being so nitpicky on other users posts and to stop trying to find excuses to respond to anything. Because from what I see you do that a lot.

if I wanted to insult you I'd have called you an asshole or something.

And no I didn't do it because "lol turret hate" I did it because you were being nitpicky and rude when people are actually trying to talk about their experiences here.
No one cared if Jorichi got the years wrong, everyone knew he didn't literally mean 5 years and you've added nothing to the discussion by bringing it up.
(people are being emotional here and I don't really want to ruin that flow here)

Flutter Skye

Post » 20 Jun 2016, 18:26

If not for this community, I would probably.. I don't really know where I would have been if not for these forums.
Thanks to everyone here, I stopped being an ignorant child with absolutely horrible English. Due to all the time I've spent here, I've meet a ton of friends, improved my English greatly as I talked with people from here, and a ton of wonderful things happened because of this place, which I can't just list as it's overhelming. I'm not leaving this place anytime soon, perhaps I am posting pretty rarely now, but I still visit this forum almost daily. It might be less active than it was a few years ago, but its still active, and I doubt it will die any time soon.
I just can't put my thoughts into words, I just don't know what to say. I've been sitting here for 4 hours, thinking.
I just want to thank everyone here, stay awesome. Thank you Maurice and Sašo for creating this wonderful place.

Wilo

Post » 20 Jun 2016, 19:58

this community is okay

MF064DD

Post » 21 Jun 2016, 06:08

Edit: I had something to say but now I'm too embarrassed to say it. I feel that I don't deserve to say anything because after all, I'm 1) not actually that much apart of the community. And 2) I'm too new to say anything that counts.

Please ignore and pretend this isn't here.
Last edited by MF064DD on 21 Jun 2016, 07:18, edited 2 times in total.

constachugga

Post » 21 Jun 2016, 06:34

I draw the way I do because I tried repeatedly copying Jorichi showing me how to make things not terrible
(whereapon it started mutating into its own thing)

I should remake that image..

Sašo
Stabyourself.net

Post » 21 Jun 2016, 16:02

Mariofan064 wrote:Edit: I had something to say but now I'm too embarrassed to say it. I feel that I don't deserve to say anything because after all, I'm 1) not actually that much apart of the community. And 2) I'm too new to say anything that counts.

Please ignore and pretend this isn't here.
I will now hate you until you post it again, mister over-2-years

MF064DD

Post » 21 Jun 2016, 16:41

Sašo wrote: I will now hate you until you post it again, mister over-2-years
I said I've only been here for two years, not over. But ok thankfully I write everything I say in Google Keep first.
With everyone sharing how much their life was influenced by the forums, I should probably tell you my story:

My life hasn't been affected much at all, and I'm pretty sure I would be pretty much the same person today if I didn't create an account 2 years ago. and then again no one cares what a 2014 member has to say so ahhh whatever

<3

Alright, I'll admit something. You guys have helped me grow characteristically and socially. That's it really. Maybe you guys aren't the most positive influence on a person's life, but it's helped me cope with being a teenager (because that's how all you guys act. Like a group of circle-jerky teenagers. Actually, there's only like 4 or so people that aren't younger than 18).

Like one of you guys said earlier, you will always be in my memories, and hopefully you guys will do the same. Maybe I won't be in your fix of stys memorabilia, and that's fine. I've never made important contributions, and haven't been all that active until 7-8 months ago.

ugh now I feel like I'm just rambling. Tldr it turns out you guys aren't assholes.
renhoek wrote: And no I didn't do it because "lol turret hate" I did it because you were being nitpicky and rude when people are actually trying to talk about their experiences here. No one cared if Jorichi got the years wrong, everyone knew he didn't literally mean 5 years and you've added nothing to the discussion by bringing it up.
I think that's just what Turret does. He doesn't mean anything he says out of spite, people (and especially you) should know that.
Last edited by MF064DD on 21 Jun 2016, 19:48, edited 1 time in total.

alesan99

Post » 21 Jun 2016, 17:09

I feel like I should say something... uhh
I've been here for a little over 3 years and it's kinda sad to see the amount of activity lowering but I've had a lot of fun here.
I joined because of a Mari0 map pack I wanted to show and I ended up staying for all the awesome creations this community had to offer.
Two of the big things that happened here were how Mari0 made me interested in programming and how I met a lot of awesome people, and that I'm thankful for.
I've been moving on to other stuff but I still go here to see what's happening.
I won't be leaving anytime soon but if anyone wants to stay in contact I have some links under my avatar.

So yeah, thanks ya'll.

Turtle95

Post » 21 Jun 2016, 19:56

Hey guys,

I noticed how everyone had been posting about how much they've come to a conclusion with the community or have slowed down on posting and the like. I'd also like to share my thoughts. Having not posted for a while, I'll share my thoughts with you guys.

When I first came to this community it had been because back in high school I was learning Java (Junior year). I'd heard about Mari0 due to a friend telling me about it if memory serves. I googled it and found Stabyourself. I quickly jumped into this community for the sake of being on the same hype train as everyone else to wait for the release of Mari0. Once that day came all was happy and everyone cheered as Maurice had created something amazing that the forum--no the whole world would enjoy. Okay that was kind of exaggerated, but it did spread outside the forums nonetheless.

Once v1.6 came about I decided the make a mod as had many others. This was the first step towards me further understanding how programming works. At the time in Senior year of high school, I'd moved on from modding Mari0 to making my own games in Lua with Love.

Looking back at all those years is nostalgic and reminds me that perhaps I'd never be the same person I have become. Not just because of the coding, who gives a crud? It's really that all of you guys that I still talk to help me and just chat on Steam or Discord nowadays that I've also interacted with on the forums. You guys helped shape me into a better person overall. To Maurice and Saso: I would like to thank you all for this wonderful forum full of memories and people I won't forget. I won't be posting most likely anymore (or if I do, it'll be super rare like the others) but if you want to get a hold of me, please feel free to find me on Steam or Twitter. Not sure if I have those linked in my profile. Here's those links down below in the even they're not linked:

https://twitter.com/TurtleP95
http://steamcommunity.com/id/TurtleP/

I've moved on to better things like many of you, so I wish you guys the best! I'll hopefully see you all around somewhere on the internet. If you wish to private message me anything please go ahead I won't mind it. I'll answer as soon as I can.

~ TurtleP

TurretBot

Post » 21 Jun 2016, 21:48

Mariofan064 wrote:Google Keep
???

MF064DD

Post » 21 Jun 2016, 21:59

TurretBot wrote:???
Google Keep is Google's version of a Notes app. http://keep.google.com

MagicPillow

Post » 22 Jun 2016, 05:53

i guess you guys are cool and all

Defiant Shout

Post » 24 Jun 2016, 23:23

I wish I had a sappy story. Hah.

I came for iOSMB4 once Cake decided to go forward with publishing his ideas. I didn't really know or care about Stabyourself or its games for quite a bit. I tried Mari0 a bit after joining and never really got into it.

I met some pretty cool people here whilst I lingered within the twatter section, and got some props and a little help with my art. It's really the only reason I stay, since I've got no real attachments to projects or anything based here, but it's been cool to make so many friends.

I don't think I'll be leaving yet, but with the decline in (productive) members, I might just break ties for the sake of finding commitment somewhere I can actually do stuff and better relate to people's struggles in their trade. The future is unclear, but it's been cool to meet y'all so far. Thanks for being chill people.

Mr.Q.Marx?

Post » 27 Jun 2016, 15:42

Right then.
I originally found the site when my friend was playing Not Tetris and it was such a mind blowing experience I had to download like all the games available.
I came to the forums mostly for the Mari0 mappacks. It was great seeing what people thought of to do and ways they changed up the Mario formula.
I wanted to get better at pixel art so when SE was getting planned I made an eager thread where I did some title art for it.
Honestly the amount of SE anticipation threads by n00bs wound even me up so it probably was a bit silly making a new one but it was cool having people who were forum famous at the time commenting and critiquing things without many being too blunt.
It was pretty cool to end up doing projects with some of them.
I've seen a great deal of talent on these forums.
It's been great seeing what everyone's done and although I know I lurked way more than I posted, it's still been a great time being here.

Hatopher YeaH!

Post » 27 Jun 2016, 18:23

Ho hi guys

espioner

Post » 27 Jun 2016, 18:35

ho hi and awesome picture what are you make this picture?

MF064DD

Post » 28 Jun 2016, 00:52

espioner wrote:ho hi and awesome picture what are you make this picture?
What pictures?

HugoBDesigner

Post » 28 Jun 2016, 01:09

I think he meant the avatar from the new user.

MF064DD

Post » 28 Jun 2016, 05:53

HugoBDesigner wrote:I think he meant the avatar from the new user.
Oh, my bad. Whoops.

EDIT: Anyway, welcome to the forums Hatopher YeaH!. If you'd like more and haven't seen the Discord Server, there's always that.

Cake

Post » 02 Jul 2016, 15:54

I really thought that we would get to page 100 then say our goodbyes, but I guess I was wrong.

Anyways, I don't want to keep beating the dead horse with sappy stories, but this was a great place to learn not to be stupid. And meet buddies.

If anyone's wondering about Project Jumpman, which is 3 years old now, it's still being developed. It will never cease to be; it's just that most of it is private now, mostly populated by MFGG members. If anyone's interested in participating, shoot me a PM over Discord- you'll find me in the userlist of the stabyourself Discord.

Fun fact: I originally came here to complain about bugs in Mari0. Back then, I didn't know how to download images using right click + "save image as..."

Anyways, I guess I have one more post to make before I delete the bookmark for this site. It's something that I really should have posted a long time ago- over a year ago- and I think it's the best way to wrap things up on my end.

TurretBot

Post » 02 Jul 2016, 17:33

if your next post has anything to do with beating the dead horse i swear

Wilo

Post » 02 Jul 2016, 18:55

quick we need to get to page 100
uh
zelda breath of the wild looks really good and what they showed at e3 was only 2 percent of the game so it's safe to say it will be great

MagicPillow

Post » 04 Jul 2016, 03:42

wait guys ur not actually supposed to leave who will i share my memes with?

Technochips

Post » 04 Jul 2016, 04:45

me

TurretBot

Post » 04 Jul 2016, 08:58

me

Wilo

Post » 04 Jul 2016, 17:39

and so with one swift move the chat room was turned into a forum game

MF064DD

Post » 05 Jul 2016, 17:30

MagicPillow wrote:wait guys ur not actually supposed to leave who will i share my memes with?

Share your memes with http://www.memes.com!

Funniest meme pictures, create the best memes!
Memes.com is guaranteed to make you laugh with our funny pictures, images, and funny memes. Upload or browse images and share them with your friends.

This post is sponsored by Audible.com. Enter code VILLAGER for a 30 day free trial.

That, or share them with the rest of the active users on here.

TurretBot

Post » 05 Jul 2016, 21:54

Mariofan064 wrote:Enter code VILLAGER for a 30 day free trial.
Enter code SPORTZ!! for a 60 day free trial!

MagicPillow

Post » 06 Jul 2016, 04:52

Wait! Guys!
The forum is dying because it...
...stabbed itself

Cake

Post » 07 Jul 2016, 04:41

TurretBot wrote:if your next post has anything to do with beating the dead horse i swear
It really has been fun, guys.
Way back in spring break 2015, I was hoping to make an actual group drawing. I obviously didn't finish, but I've always kept it on me.
Some faces might be blank because I never found the right expression- I apologize if anyone's not included or not finished.
Anyways, it really has been fun. I've rooted myself firmly in other communities at this point, but I wouldn't be able to get there without you guys. I wouldn't know how to behave in the internet with you guys, and I wouldn't know how to have a good time online without you either.

I'll stick around the discord group as long as I can, but this is where I part ways with these forums... forever. It certainly has been an experience!

Ciao!

Wilo

Post » 07 Jul 2016, 07:09

the more people leave the less shitposting there will be

TurretBot

Post » 07 Jul 2016, 07:10

Cake wrote:
TurretBot wrote:if your next post has anything to do with beating the dead horse i swear
It really has been fun, guys.
fuck

Maurice
Stabyourself.net

Post » 08 Jul 2016, 17:10

Sometimes we get Facebook messages.
http://i.imgur.com/C1jyihR.png

Technochips

Post » 08 Jul 2016, 17:30

MAURICE HAS SPOKEN AGAIN
pretty sure he never went to the forums and ignored the news on it

MF064DD

Post » 08 Jul 2016, 17:51

Maurice wrote:Sometimes we get Facebook messages.
"What do you mean a project that I liked isn't creativity fun for you anymore? What do you think you are, Human? Pfft, well I'm not playing the games that you've created for free any more! That'll show you! *insert angry emoticon here*."

Qcode

Post » 08 Jul 2016, 18:38

Maurice wrote:Sometimes we get Facebook messages.
I think the best part about this is they wait an hour and 11 minutes before fully committing to sending an angry emoticon.