Game Spotlights

If it doesn't fit elsewhere, it should go here
Jorichi

Post » 04 Mar 2014, 23:05

Game Spotlights
Alright people, it's time to put some games in the spotlights.
The purpose of this thread is to bring some attention to games that either fly under the radar or simply deserve some attention.
Show off a game that you like, but doesn't seem to be so popular for some reason and tell us why you like it so much and why others of this community might too.
Maybe even tell people about that soon-to-be-released indie game that you are so excited for.

Now before we all crawl up our own asses to suffocate, here are some rules:
1. Please stick to one game spotlight per post per day (per person).
2. Elaborate on the game you're spotlighting and why you think it should be brought to our attention.
3. Don't be a prick and start arguing why you think a game sucks and try to force your opinion on others. People have preferences, deal with it.
4. Please leave a link to the site of the game or where we can find it to check it out.
5. Try to refrain from posting games everyone already knows about (big announced games, well known series, etc).

Feel free to discuss the games spotlighted.

I'll start us off with this:

Tower of Guns

Tower of guns is a Bullet-Hell, Rogue-like FPS. And as some of you might now, I really enjoy a good Rogue-like or Bullet-Hell game.
It just got released today and is on a 33% discount on steam until March 11th. I pre-ordered it and got the beta with it and I must say that is was actually more fun than I expected. What seemed like quite a basic game appeared to be more intense and had more character to it than I could tell from the screenshots back then.
The levels are interesting, challenging and sometimes really overwhelming with the amount of enemies and bullets thrown at you.
When I got deeper into the game it started to throw more interesting and creative themes at me that I really enjoyed.
I think the items and amount of weapons to choose from in the game are quite limited though, so I'm not sure how long this game will keep me entertained. But the games just got released today and might still grow with the help of it's community's feedback. I certainly hope so.
I know a fair amount of you enjoy a good Rogue-like, and this one is just that little more action-packed then others out there.
I thought this might tickle your interest a bit. Still not sure if this is a game for you? Ask me and I will consider streaming it sometime.

Automatik

Post » 04 Mar 2014, 23:30

Hmm, that sound interesting.
Also, does the first rule mean that now, no one can post a game until 24 hours after you posted, or is it just you who can't?

Jorichi

Post » 04 Mar 2014, 23:38

Automatik wrote:Hmm, that sound interesting.
Also, does the first rule mean that now, no one can post a game until 24 hours after you posted, or is it just you who can't?
I meant that per person. So I couldn't post another for the next 24 hours. Although one per day would have been nice as well, I don't think people would want that.
Keeping the amount of games posted low keeps a steady pace going though. Posting everything you got in a single day wouldn't do much good.

Firaga

Post » 04 Mar 2014, 23:46

Going full-blown weeaboo.
The Lunarian's were trying to make a perfect replica of Yukari Yakumo but failed terribly and changed the Gensokyo we knew so much forever! You play as Takko, the ruined experiment, your objective is to fight against the other abominations of the new Gensokyo and try to find out what went wrong or who exactly caused this all to happen.
There's an awesome game called Takkoman Kouzetsu World(no not Taco-man, Tah-Koh-Mahn). You are a girl with no arms, however you can do a lot of cool things.
You can dash three times in any direction, and finish it with a kick, two and finish with a laser, the combo's are what makes the game fun, and with different difficulty settings, is an overall good game.

It's a bit like Megaman, as you kill bosses to gain new powerups.

You can download it here.

B-Man99

Post » 05 Mar 2014, 00:10

Tower Of Guns looks really good! It's got that clear lunch-break roguelike element that we lvoe about BOI and Spelunky, and the shooting feels a lot like Unreal Tournament, which is always a plus. Thanks for sharing Jorichi. You should definitely stream it sometime. I would definitely watch :D

When I heard "not so popular" I immediately thought of one of my all time favorite games, which was also one of the first steam games I ever got. I have over 50 hours of it online, and I must have at least 100 given the fact that I had no internet access for over 6 months. It's called Colour Bind (not to be confused with "Colour Blind"), and it's a really nice indie title. The heart of the game is a 2D puzzle platformer, where the main gameplay concept is that your gravity depends on what color you are. Everything else plays off that. Lasers change what color you are, you may have objects floating around that are being pulled in different directions, and you could even come across combinations of colors, and simply no color at all. I won't spoil everything though. Something that makes the game stand out is the fact that you control a 2 dimensional, 2 wheeled car, so your platforming isn't simple jumps and running. This may be a bit frustrating at times, but you get used to it. The platforming is much more fun than most platformers I have played, due to the unique way of dealing with gravity, and puzzles that use simple elements along with really tricky ideas make it extremely challenging sometimes, but it totally pays off. There is a large variety of levels you will come across, as the campaign has many levels (if you include coop and the "secret" level set) and there are just way too many possibilities. The game has a level editor, widening things up even more. I've made several levels, and I think the game could really use some more creative minds; I believe the workshop has only 50 levels in total. That's probably why I instantly thought of this game, because it really isn't that popular, despite having a concept wildly unique and executing it, in my opinion, to near perfection. There are basically two types of Colour Bind players. One group of people play it for 20 minutes, can't stand the controls, and write a negative review without going far enough into the game. Every single person I've seen with over an hour on Colour Bind has over 50. It's that kind of game. You get hooked, and it seems like there are always times to beat, achievements to grab, leaderboards to compete with, and puzzles to make yourself. Everyone who has played coop with me loves it too.

tl:dr I couldn't recommend any game any more than I do this one.

pros:
Unique color-based gravity system
Many levels filled with variety and both puzzles AND platforming
Achievements and leaderboards always have you striving for something once you get hooked
Neat ambient music which also interacts based on color
Coop mode and also bonus levels
Level editor and steam workshop
Addicting and fun, according to most people that I've seen play it

cons:
"TOO HARD THIS IS WAY TOO HARD WHY WOULD SOMEONE EVEN MAKE A LEVEL THIS EVIL" -My 9 year old nephew and probably my 12-year-old self at one point or another
Takes a while to get used to the controls, this I will admit

"Only slightly less perfect than Portal 2 and Cave Story"/10

Cake

Post » 05 Mar 2014, 01:26

I think if there's a game that needs some attention, it's Pikmin 2.

This may be a Nintendo franchise, but it's not well-known and the only connections that most people make with it are via Olimar, the protagonist of the 1st 2 games, being playable in Brawl.

I haven't exactly heard negative reviews about it, (nor really any reviews other that 'it's my favorite game' online) but it's an old game that's almost a decade old.
And then they released it for the Wii at a shocking price of $20: [link]http://pikmin2.nintendo.com/[/link]

I've rewritten this post several times trying to explain what Pikmin is. I just can't do it.
[link]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pikmin_2[/link]
And then people will be less likely to read it, but whatever.

But I mean, the game is fantastic. i find myself completing it over and over again at lest 3 times a year; it's addictive.
A lot of the fun of the game is trying to do things faster, and breaking the records that you set in the game.

There's just so much strategy involved in the multitasking; the game is plain amazing.

I didn't do this very well but oh well

renhoek

Post » 05 Mar 2014, 03:03

Imaginary cake no offence but Pikmin is no an underrated series,
I can guarantee you more people know about Pikmin 2 then a game like Tower of guns,
for example.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/gamecube/pikmin-2
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/tower-of-guns

B-Man99

Post » 05 Mar 2014, 03:24

Heh
The closest thing to being reviewed by a popular review company for Colour Bind was that Machinima reviewed it, and I compeltely disagree with even the good stuff they said about the game
"The gravity fluctuating gameplay combined with simple platforming make for devilishly difficult levels that only hardcore puzzle fans need apply for"
This just gets me mad. Hardcore puzzle fans are definitely relevant to a sentence about platforming. Ugh.

How is Pikmin underrated? I loved that game, and I had heard of it before I was even that into videogames, mainly because my "friend" (basically the one that hated me the least) really liked it growing up. Never stopped talking about it. Spent like 6 whole months as a young kid insisting he was actually a pikmin in disguise. I don't know how Okay I'm gonna shut up before I start recalling all of the terrible, embarrassing, and just downright stupid memories from elementary school... NO MAKE IT STOP

I wish I still had the game so I could see if it's as good as I remember it
Too bad the disc broke before I could even finish it

Cake

Post » 05 Mar 2014, 07:24

Hm.

I can't seem to find anyone who likes Pikmin other than myself, and it seems as if no one's ever heard of it.
Except my dad, as he's the only one who I've had a serious Pikmin conversation with.

But in all, I guess I forgot to separate unheard of and underrated.

Lesson learned.

So I guess I haven't really played any underrated games yet.

Automatik

Post » 05 Mar 2014, 10:56

Assault Cube
It's just a multiplayer FPS. But it's free, it weight only 50 MB, don't require a powerful PC, and the gameplay is simple(5 guns + pistol + knife + grenades). And it's fun.
There is 26 default maps, 12 game modes, singleplayer(with bots), a level editor, and you can edit the level cooperatively in multiplayer.

Cons: It don't support singleplayer *TF(I guess it's because the bots don't know how to take the flag), or controllers. The animations are bad . And the fullscreen mode resize the whole screen if you aren't playing at the native resolution.

Jorichi

Post » 10 Mar 2014, 10:57

Yume Nikki
Yume Nikki is a game that is more of an experience than an actual game.
Explore various realms of dreams and experience "WTF?!" moments over and over.
When Yume Nikki came to the media's attention, I heard about it for roughly a week and then never heard about it again.
I strongly encourage you all to give it a try. It's completely free so there is no price-tag stopping you.
Just try to emerge yourself into the game and it's weirdness and explore.

ImageImage
ImageImage

renhoek

Post » 10 Mar 2014, 11:55

I did see someone I'm subscibed to do a video on Yumme Nikki Quite recently.

I want to know what was with the only two enemies in the game (I call them enemies since you have to avoid them and if they catch you, you have to reset so deal with it.) It's just so weird that they're the only real threats in there.

Jorichi

Post » 20 Mar 2014, 19:21

One Duck
Can't get enough of that satisfying squeek that those rubber duckies give? Always wanted to be locked up in a room with a single light, white walls and a single rubber ducky to toss around?
You're in luck! Here's a game that gives you all of that!
I'm not gonna spoil anything for you. It's a free browser game made with unity.
Tell me how many bounces you got before caving in to insanity.

B-Man99

Post » 21 Mar 2014, 04:33

Gateways is a really fun metroidvania puzzle game, expanding upon "portal gun" concepts with things like size changing, gravity changing, and even time travelling.
I had a blast playing it, and you can get so much out of it with the workshop content and stuff.
Definitely something to try out given that it's REALLY cheap. I'm honestly quite surprised this hasn't been checked out as much for how good it is.
Some of the puzzles are harder than hell though. Especially once you get further in and deal with more and more concepts all at the same time :)

renhoek

Post » 22 Mar 2014, 05:30

Simon the sorcerer if you have an android device they had a 20th anniversary edition released recently that I recommend. If you're interested in this I strongly recommend looking into the sequel too.
Don't disregard this as a generic point and click game there's a lot of British wit and charm in this.
The game stars a teenager called Simon (voiced by Chris Barrie who you may recognize from Red Dwarf) who stumbles into another dimension after looking into a book he found in his attic. From there he has to find a way back home... Oh and also the realm he's in is in danger or something like that.
the game's a point and click adventure and as such you will need to get everything that's not nailed down to the ground, and the interface is similar to games such as Monkey island, but the strong point is definitely the humor of the game as there's many situations that are just hilarious to watch and listen to.

The game got a sequel about a year later that was just as fun to play as the first and then after several years the series was going to have a proper sequel in 2D but unfortunately the team had to go for 3D since that's what was hot at the time and had to re do everything and so the quality of the game suffered (though I hear the dialogue was still good.)
if you thought the series died after the third installment you'd be wrong. The series had a fourth installment around 2006 and it's latest installment was released in 2010 both of which returned to how the originals played but unfortunately the dialogue and humor was no where as good as the originals. But I'm at least happy to see this series hasn't died like most games from that era.

I'm honestly surprised no one talks about this game as much as games like most other point and clicks.