The Super Mario Topic

If it doesn't fit elsewhere, it should go here
Cake

Post » 23 Feb 2014, 03:24

I want a topic that'll stay awhile that's actually about a specific topic.
So I picked a broad topic, with something that everyone's experienced (and probably came here partially for)

So, let me start off.
I'm one of the younger gamers here that had the first 3D Mario game being Super Mario Sunshine. I absolutely love it, still to this day. I don't get how people love Super Mario 64 more, other than in a minor notice of it being their first games.

Vakema123

Post » 23 Feb 2014, 15:52

imaginary cake wrote: I absolutely love it, still to this day. I don't get how people love Super Mario 64 more, other than in a minor notice of it being their first games.
This has always bothered me, that most people like the earlier one first, no matter the quality of the sequel/successor. I do not know whether Sunshine is superior to 64 or not, I have never played either, but the nostalgia filter thing bothers me every time somebody claims the earlier was better for whatever transparent reason. An example of this is when me and my brother watched Pacific Rim, and he did not like it because it was too close to Evangelion. That was his only reason, because it was 'copying' Evangelion.

But anyway, back on topic. I have very little experience with Mario as a whole, in fact this holds true for most Nintendo games, other than Pikmin and Metroid. Although I do have an unfinished copy of Super Paper Mario I borrowed, so I have to get to playing that.

B-Man99

Post » 25 Feb 2014, 06:21

Super Mario 64 is, in my opinion, really fun, replayable, addicting, and filled with tons of stuff (so it doesn't get old).
It may not be the best game ever but it's one of the best to me, and all of things that you hear critics use to descibe a perfect game; Super Mario 64 holds a lot more ground than it would even need to.
Fun fact, it also inspired Gabe Newell.
It was used to make Super Mario 74, but I could talk forever about how great that is.
You can drop a baby penguin off a cliff in front of the mother's eyes after taunting her.
Super Mario 64: the game; the masterpiece; the legend
The penguin-trauma-initiating simulator

As for the entire Mario series I could talk a lot about it, but I don't really feel the need to. Franchises don't make much sense to me sometimes unless they're made by the same people with the same vision, which honestly can't happen for a AAA company and a household name with such a large extent and with so many high points and low points Hotel Mario
If you want I can explain how I feel about some of the other games in the series (Super Paper Mario and Bowser's Inside Story are my other favorites if you notice my avatars) but i don't know how many people are interested in this thread anyways.

renhoek

Post » 25 Feb 2014, 06:37

I preferred paper mario to mario 64.

B-Man99

Post » 25 Feb 2014, 06:54

I think more than anything it depends on what kind of gameplay people prefer.

Cake

Post » 25 Feb 2014, 07:02

Got ninja'd twice.

I personally find that Super Mario Sunshine was an even better game. It was largely different from what people were used to, but it's a solid game nonetheless. I mean, punching and short-distance attack were never really my type of style, but Super Mario Sunshine's FLUDD was really fun. All I want to see is a sequel, remake or SOMETHING that brings back SMS in some way. I mean, you could fight a giant mecha bowser with water missiles, dive into a deep, sunken city, platform under some of the best Mario music of all time, and so on.

A game's sales does tell whether a game was successful or not, but it doesn't tell the quality. Super Mario Sunshine had a different play style from the rest of the market, so it didn't fit in. I love it for being different, but others consider it the worst Mario game out there.

I did happen to find a really interesting article though on what NIntendo's been doing with their 3D Mario games.
http://www.dromble.com/2013/09/21/ninte ... -3d-mario/

And to be honest, it makes me all the more less excited for the next 3D Mario game. (unless it was Sunshine 2) Even if they did make a Sunshine 2, something tells me that it would be much more linear than the original, akin to what happened to Luigi's Mansion and Dark Moon. I love to explore and mess around sometimes, and I really need those options if a 3D platformer would appeal to me.
I mean, the next best thing Nintendo could do is make a open-world Zelda-type Mario for me. It wouldn't even need FLUDD, just to be something new that we haven't seen before.

And you know, Nintendo should really stop trying to chase those people who get 'lost' in a 3D Mario game, because it's highly unlikely that they'll ever pick one up. Yes, the Mario fanbase was split when Super Mario 64 came out, but it will never get fixed because people prefer different play styles. I'd really like for them to keep their 2D and 3D games separate, because they really appeal to different people.
It's like trying to make someone who's played Call of Duties all their life try to play Contra. It's just not happening.

Super Mario 64 was a bold experiment that determined the fate of 3D games forever. Super Mario Sunshine also tried something drastically new, but it just didn't appeal to the audiences. Super Mario Galaxy was the last bold experiment, and it was a huge success. Then the sequel came out, and then Super Mario Galaxy minus the gravity aspect. Then THAT got a sequel. Nintendo became afraid to experiment, to try something new. And that's the irony of stuff like Yoshi's 'New' Island, or a 'New' Super Mario Bros game. (excluding the original)

And they do experiment and do well in other games, but it's their big series that they become afraid of 'ruining'.

I want the Nintendo from 2005 back...

idiot9.0

Post » 25 Feb 2014, 07:30

It's all about Mario's Time Machine, bitches. Commence Long Post in spoiler.
Outside of the sports, party, and kart games, I tend to like most if not all Mario games. They're just so great to play and you could just sit down for hours without getting bored.

I have to say that I enjoyed Mario 64 a fair bit more than Sunshine, but that's only because of a few things: Difficulty spikes and Blue coins, both a problem with Sunshine. Difficulty it's normally fine but then you get those hard as balls missions, like the Bowser Mech (I died a fair bit on that when I was younger) and the entrance to the final battle with Bowser (Boat on lava surrounded by pillars and one hit on the boat sinks you = frustration and many deaths). And the Blue coins were just a chore to find. It's not worth getting 120 shines in that game, but overall it's fun. However Mario 64 was near perfection when it came out and my little heart played that to completion. There was never a moment I was frustrated. Sunshine is great but Mario 64 just got everything right.

Now Mario Galaxy is another great game. It gave me almost the same exact feelings as Mario 64 gave me. Just pure wonder and excitement. If it wasn't for some of the Prankster comets being complete dicks of a mission it'd tie with Mario 64 as the best 3D Mario in my opinion. I haven't played Galaxy 2 yet so I can't give it a fair rating but it seriously just looks like an expansion pack. I'd probably enjoy it but I'm considering it store-bought DLC for now.

I liked 3D land too but it did start showing Nintendo's safe-play choices in a few spots. It's not a completely bad thing but I do want them to experiment more. 3D World, though again I haven't played it, showed some hope of experimentation (Cat Suit comes to mind. Yes it's a power-up but at least it's new and exciting. 3D Land brought next to no new powerups. Boomerang suit, oh boy haven't seen that in some shape and form before). Also New Super Mario Bros. was a great game, and NSMBWii was even better. But again, safe plays by Nintendo bring us NSMB2 and NSMBU. Again, not bad but nothing really "new". At least U brought again a new power-up. (I haven't played NSMBU either. I don't own a Wii U yet okay?)

Now the Paper Mario Series I could go on all day about. Paper Mario was great, Thousand Year Door was Phenomenal and easily one of my favorite Marios and games in general, and Super Paper Mario was different but still great. However Sticker Star was an experiment that I didn't quite enjoy as much. I liked what I played but I couldn't get far into it. It just lost my interest. Again it's a safe play by Nintendo story-wise with Bowser eating I MEAN kidnapping Peach but gameplay did experiment and while I didn't enjoy it, it does show a glimpse of hope.
TL;DR I enjoy the Mario series, I prefer SM64 over Sunshine but for good reasons and not nostalgia, Paper Mario series is a great series, Galaxy is fun, and Nintendo is taking some small steps to getting better games IMO but you never know.

I could go on for days.

B-Man99

Post » 25 Feb 2014, 07:41

@imaginary: That explains my feeling about the franchise as a whole completely and perfectly you know.
Wow!
Super Mario Sunshine was always a great game to me, I just liked the style and gameplay of SM64 a little more
So yeah imaginary cake I really don't know how else to add to that
One note though
imaginary cake wrote:I'd really like for them to keep their 2D and 3D games separate, because they really appeal to different people.
Except for Super Paper Mario. I honestly think that 2.5D thing worked really well given the Paper Mario history and how well the game was put together anyway.
Again, experimentation ;)

@idiot: Thanks for bumping me and making like half of my entire original post redundant. Well said.
I loved Super Mario Galaxy in the same sense as Super Mario 64, with the non-linearity and the simple perfection, but I didn't get a kick out of the platforming like I did in Super Mario 64, so I still like SM64 a little better. I could definitely see the influences though, which made me very happy to say the least.

Whether or not I enjoy party/sports games always depends on who I'm playing with, so I'd be a terrible judge of those types of offshoots.

Anyone here into Fortune Street? I love the game but Mario feels so out of place I can't really explain it. Probably because of the gameplay and the fact that it's a Dragon Quest branch-off? I don't know. Either way, it's a fantastic game in my opinion, but I just wanted to say that I really don't consider it part of the Mario franchise so I'm not really mentioning it.

Flutter Skye

Post » 25 Feb 2014, 10:21

I should stop playing 5 games at once, and finally collect the last 19 Power Stars in SMG2.
Also why does everyone think Bouldergeist is hard? I beat him on my first run without taking damage.

Cake

Post » 25 Feb 2014, 16:27

I love bouldergeist.
He's the best enemy that came out of Super Mario Galaxy.

Firaga

Post » 25 Feb 2014, 16:43

Mario, Mario, Mario. Where should I start.

Mario is a great character, added with the fact he's in some of my favorite games makes him flooping awesome. Even though I prefer Luigi, Mario's still a badass. One of my favorite games from the series, Super Paper Mario was a damn masterpiece, it was an RPG, but unlike the other games, wasn't turn-based, more of a platformer than anything. I love great platformers like Mario, Fez, Megaman, and many more.

Nintendo does seem to be taking the easy route, not doign anything too drastic to the franchise. I'm the kind of person that likes being rewarded as I go along, like in Terraria, you build new better armor and you feel like you're progressing and you feel good about yourself when you do so. Which is probably the reason Super Paper Mario is one of my favorites, you're leveling up, getting new pixl's and characters, and overall having a great time.

Sticker Star was horrible, it was the only Paper Mario game that made me grind to get to the next area.Some of the ideas in the game are cool, but after I grinded, I really wanted to stop playing. I want to feel like I'm using strategy to defeat the enemy, not because 'oh my strength is higher than his'. I want to feel like I actually used my brain to figure out how to win, not just leveling up until I can destroy the boss in one hit with a Power Bounce or something.

Personally, on what idiot said, I'm more Sunshine > SM64. Sunshine brought a cool awesome gadget that made you feel all powerful with the simplest of liquids water. Yes, I can agree the boating section in Corona Mountain made me  [too much rage] , but besides that, the game is a great addition to the series, and I would love to see Mario go on another adventure with the Flash Liquidising Ultra Dousing Device (yes I still remember that).

Mario is a great series overall. Though, even though Nintendo made a wrong move with the WiiU by making it seem like it was an addition to the Wii, looking at it's recent low sales, Nintendo and Mario brothers are going to live on, because they are a good company. They bring great games to us, with A Link Between Worlds being my favorite game from them. Mario will definately be around for a while, and I hope they stay well into my 20s.

tl;dr mario is a sexy beast and will be around for a long time unless Nintendo royaly foops up or something.

HansAgain

Post » 25 Feb 2014, 17:16

Mario is the best character in videogames, END.

Story of my life and Mario:
Super Mario Bros. was one of the first Nintendo games i played, i loved it, and i played it a lot of times, even a hacked version of it, Moon Mario, i was like 5. Then my uncle bought a SNES and i discovered Super Mario World, since the best game i played until then was SMB, i almost die from the excitement. Sadly my uncle never let me play it.
Time passed, my parents bought me a PS1 and then a PS2 (all chipped), it had a SNES emulator disc to play SNES games, i desesperately looked for Super Mario World, and i didn't find it, then i found it with the name "SMW". I still love it.
I played all the Super Mario All Stars Collection and Yoshi Island (i LOVE this game), also Super Mario RPG. I've never played Super Mario Sunshine or Super Mario 64, maybe one day i will play it.
I think Mari0 is the best thing that could happen to Mario.
It feels good giving a new appearance to Mario and Luigi, if I had not found this game, perhaps i had never made a Pato map and found my awesome spriting skills.
EDIT: Also 900 posts. YAY!

Cake

Post » 28 Feb 2014, 01:35

Mario Kart is some of the best online play that Nintendo has.
Being patient for Mario Kart 8 is hard.

Cake

Post » 03 Mar 2014, 02:58

Did I mention that:
It's rumored that MK8 will have a track editor, according to NewEgg's product description?
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/rumor- ... 0-6417886/
Something tells me though that this isn't as full-fledged as we think it is; like something that just modifies your side of the internet play, along the lines of editing banners or scenery in the track.

But I mean, they did list a Wii U remake of Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon a few months ago.

Hey, at least there'll be a solid Nintendo Direct in the next 2 weeks either dealing with Luigi's year ending or something big for Mario Kart.

One more thing:
Last edited by Cake on 12 Mar 2014, 04:34, edited 1 time in total.

Think_with_Coins

Post » 08 Mar 2014, 11:41

imaginary cake wrote:
All I want to see is a sequel, remake or SOMETHING that brings back SMS in some way.

Do you know Super Mario 63? Its a Mix of Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine.
It has an level Editor and Secrets. It also has Quality.
Heres a Link to the Site of the Creator

Edit: Yes, Its laggy on some PC´s
Last edited by Think_with_Coins on 09 Mar 2014, 09:28, edited 1 time in total.

Cake

Post » 09 Mar 2014, 00:35

I've seen that before, but it was as laggy as crap on the computer I was using.

I've played it in full speed, but overall the game doesn't interest me too much anymore.
(You can only explore in so many directions in 2D)

Cake

Post » 12 Mar 2014, 04:49

Gah I want to talk about Mario Kart 8.
No one else I know wants to.

So, character predictions?
Retro Course predictions?
DLC? (aka old tracks to buy or characters?)
Any other special announcements relating to it?
(Ex. NewEgg's Track Editor special items, (since we haven't seen any new ones) and unfortunately not Double Dash?)
Last edited by Cake on 12 Mar 2014, 06:41, edited 1 time in total.

Sky

Post » 12 Mar 2014, 06:04

I would love to see Toad's Turnpike return as a retro course. I loved the atmosphere in that level.

Also http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/700050-mario-kart-8

Sunset_Moth

Post » 18 Mar 2014, 22:48

Think_with_Coins wrote:
imaginary cake wrote:
All I want to see is a sequel, remake or SOMETHING that brings back SMS in some way.

Do you know Super Mario 63? Its a Mix of Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine.
It has an level Editor and Secrets. It also has Quality.
Heres a Link to the Site of the Creator

Edit: Yes, Its laggy on some PC´s
I've played it before, a ton.
Krrsshkt. Krrshkt. KRRRRRRRRSHKT
Also, I remember getting to like key 3... But after that I got a virus from somewhere and couldn't get rid of it. And then I transferred my save file.
I'm playing it again.
I played it in:
I don't even know how back it was the first time
4th grade
6 or 7th grade
Late, late, late 2013

Krrssssssshkt. (That sound glitch... MAN.)