gotta go fast - making games for people

If it doesn't fit elsewhere, it should go here
Camewel

Post » 17 Dec 2013, 00:24

Idiot's thing for sprites inspired me to do something similar, but I can't draw, so...

CODING!!

Make a request for a simple game ("snake with more drugs!", "retro shooter galaga style game... with more drugs!") and I'll try and make it in under 5 hours. I'll post the game in .love form and the time it took me to make it. I'll be doing any art assets myself too so THAT'LL BE FUN.

Reasoning: I want to be better at getting things finished and released and not making a load of neat concepts that never get used again.

One request per person, I'll try to get one completed every day.

Something something merry christmas.

THE LIST
17/12 - Spleef - HugoBDesigner
18/12 - caress idiot's face the game - Assassin-Kiashi
19/12 - 2P Frogger - TripleXero
20/12 - math.random(pong) - Qcode
21/12 - drug runner - Flutter Skye
22/12 - Galaga w/ drugs - idiot9.0
23/12 - SeekQuest - TheSeek
24/12 - Multiplayer Smuggler - HAPPYFACES
25/12 - Galactic Scrapheap - Jorichi
Last edited by Camewel on 18 Dec 2013, 23:33, edited 4 times in total.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 17 Dec 2013, 00:47

Man, you're taking a hard work task. Are you sure you wanna do it?

Old suggestion (abandoned):
If yes, then may I ask you a game?
It'd be a small 2D puzzle game where you shoot certain walls to be pushed (something like knockback from Mari0).
Then call it PUNT 2D

If you could make that game in 2D that'd be awesome. If not, just do most of that and I'll try to finish (and do the art thing maybe).
Thank you!
EDIT:
Nevermind. I do that in Mari0 +Portal. Then what about that game where you have to break the opponent's floor? I forgot the name... Is it "spleefers"? I'm not sure. Well, that'd be awesome!
Last edited by HugoBDesigner on 17 Dec 2013, 00:51, edited 3 times in total.

TripleXero

Post » 17 Dec 2013, 00:48

Going with your retro suggestions, I think 2600 Frogger with 2P multiplayer and maybe drugs could be interesting

Camewel

Post » 17 Dec 2013, 00:53

I like the spleef idea, I might have to do some iso 3D for that, dunno if it'd work in a 2D plane (top down games with jumping :/).
PUNT seems like a very cool idea but also one that would take lots more time.
Frogger with drugs 2P also seems perfectly possible.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 17 Dec 2013, 00:56

Camewel wrote:I like the spleef idea, I might have to do some iso 3D for that, dunno if it'd work in a 2D plane (top down games with jumping :/).
PUNT seems like a very cool idea but also one that would take lots more time.
Frogger with drugs 2P also seems perfectly possible.
Forget about PUNT. That was an impulsive idea. Spleef is better as easier, which is also better :)

TheSeek

Post » 17 Dec 2013, 00:57

Are remakes of older games allowed? If so, Motocross Maniacs(Gameboy version), with a level editor.
If not, i'll keep my optional request for when i'll have a nice idea.

Camewel

Post » 17 Dec 2013, 01:01

"hey this game was cool do it again" seems a bit silly
I'd rather it was a simple old game (frogger, galaga, snake old) with a fun twist (2P, drugs) or an original idea

Qcode

Post » 17 Dec 2013, 01:02

Last edited by Qcode on 21 Oct 2021, 19:00, edited 1 time in total.

TheSeek

Post » 17 Dec 2013, 01:05

The level editor was meant to be the fun twist, but i get your point...a level editor wouldnt really add something to the game itself.

Flutter Skye

Post » 17 Dec 2013, 01:06

Maybe a game,where you are box and need to jump in good time, to jump on the circles. With Drugs, it would be to easy then. http://i.imgur.com/1WAQt29.png

Camewel

Post » 17 Dec 2013, 01:12

Qcode wrote:Pong with unpredictable ball physics+whatever else you think would make it more silly.
math.random(pong) sounds good
Flutter Skye wrote:Maybe a game,where you are box and need to jump in good time, to jump on the circles. With Drugs, it would be to easy then. http://i.imgur.com/1WAQt29.png
I'm thinking impossible game meets bit-trip runner meets drugs

ucenna

Post » 17 Dec 2013, 01:21

What about donkey kong with triggerable gravity inversion?

Camewel

Post » 17 Dec 2013, 01:36

I don't see how that would be fun

ucenna

Post » 17 Dec 2013, 02:01

Yeah, it probably wouldn't be. I was just thinking about upside down donkey kong and I thought of that. Maybe I can come up with something better.

idiot9.0

Post » 17 Dec 2013, 02:05

Tiny Dinosaur in the Desert. Make it happen. I'll be graphics guy.
I'm kind of wanting to see that Galaga with Drugs game. But I'm really expecting some weird but fun stuff from this.

TheSeek

Post » 17 Dec 2013, 02:12

Commodore 64 arcade/simple-dungeon style game:
- kinda top-down perspective(jrpg style)
- single screen levels(no scrolling), 20wx15h tiles or similar size
- simple back and forth movements enemie,s each with different speed(fixed movement along a specified lenght straight path)
- collect all gold in each level to open door to next level
- touch an an enemy and you die, back to start of the level you died in, keep the gold(s) you already collected in said level
- limited lifes(5?)

player movement would be like once you move in a direction, you cant stop unless you move in another direction(or if you hit a wallof course), and pushing a direction key for a short time(almost tapping it) moves you normally, keeping it pressed for longer time(1 sec, maybe less) will make you "run".
This, along with the enemies having back and forth movements with different speeds, should create a decent difficulty to reach the golds to unlock the exit to the next level.
With a level editor, and the ability to add/modify enemies(adding custom simple sprites, and choosing their path and speed).

this will probably be rejected
Man I suck at explaining stuff

Camewel

Post » 17 Dec 2013, 02:16

idiot9.0 wrote:Tiny Dinosaur in the Desert. Make it happen. I'll be graphics guy.
I'm kind of wanting to see that Galaga with Drugs game. But I'm really expecting some weird but fun stuff from this.
I was considering going back to that actually but I have about 4 projects that I'm considering going back to so don't get your hopes too high
I already have some ideas for Galaga with Drugs (anyone got any good puns?) so I'll add that to the list.
TheSeek wrote:Commodore 64 arcade/simple-dungeon style game:
- kinda top-down perspective(jrpg style)
- single screen levels(no scrolling), 20wx15h tiles or similar size
- simple back and forth movements enemie,s each with different speed(fixed movement along a specified lenght straight path)
- collect all gold in each level to open door to next level
- touch an an enemy and you die, back to start of the level you died in, keep the gold(s) you already collected in said level
- limited lifes(5?)

player movement would be like once you move in a direction, you cant stop unless you move in another direction(or if you hit a wallof course), and pushing a direction key for a short time(almost tapping it) moves you normally, keeping it pressed for longer time(1 sec, maybe less) will make you "run".
This, along with the enemies having back and forth movements with different speeds, should create a decent difficulty to reach the golds to unlock the exit to the next level.
With a level editor, and the ability to add/modify enemies(adding custom simple sprites, and choosing their path and speed).
this looks really complex at first but then I realised you were just being super detailed and it looked alright. I'll add it to the list

popcan12

Post » 17 Dec 2013, 02:19

Can you make a game similar to Revenge of the sunfish?

Camewel

Post » 17 Dec 2013, 02:21

Camewel wrote:"hey this game was cool do it again" seems a bit silly
plus I can't find any info on what this game actually entails

ucenna

Post » 17 Dec 2013, 02:22

I'd say "Not Snake". But I think snake is stupid (unless you count nibbler, that one's awesome.) That and notting snake isn't really adding much.

Camewel

Post » 17 Dec 2013, 02:22

http://snayke.net/
(it's actually really fun would recommend trying the demo)

TheSeek

Post » 17 Dec 2013, 02:30

Camewel wrote: this looks really complex at first but then I realised you were just being super detailed and it looked alright. I'll add it to the list
That's cool, thanks.
Also, if i can add something i forgot(even tho it might sound obvious): you collect gold by simply stepping on the tile it is on.

Cake

Post » 17 Dec 2013, 03:36

You people reply fast to these things.

You should make Mari0 SE.

5 hours is a short time to make a game.
So I'm not going to suggest anything too complex.
A simple game where someone else tries to drop pills into your mouth while on drugs.

Ex. The screen is distorted into an S, and it sort of works like pinball to some sort

But there are no flippers.

Camewel

Post » 17 Dec 2013, 03:39

imaginary cake wrote:5 hours is a short time to make a game.
So I'm not going to suggest anything too complex.
A simple game where someone else tries to drop pills into your mouth while on drugs.

Ex. The screen is distorted into an S, and it sort of works like pinball to some sort

But there are no flippers.
5 hours is indeed a short time, hence "gotta go fast"
that idea is too simple, it doesn't sound fun, and it'd take around 2 hours (ish) to make

Cake

Post » 17 Dec 2013, 07:18

True.

Maybe you can do something like space invaders, but on a polar screen.
You know, you move right and end up going in a circle.
And you can be protecting a planet or something
And there could be power-ups drugs in it
And you could be shooting rabid avatars

TripleXero

Post » 17 Dec 2013, 09:31

Assasin-Kiashi

Post » 17 Dec 2013, 10:56

Caress Idiot9.0's face: The Game

renhoek

Post » 17 Dec 2013, 11:13

How about a game where you're sitting at a computer and you have to press a button whenever a bad message (message could be red to signify bad) to smack you're head on the desk, and press a different button when a good message pops up and you just hug the screen.

Call it stabyourself.net forum in game form.
Also Kiashi I think you're developing a problem.

Camewel

Post » 17 Dec 2013, 11:37

imaginary cake wrote:Maybe you can do something like space invaders, but on a polar screen.
You know, you move right and end up going in a circle.
And you can be protecting a planet or something
And there could be power-ups drugs in it
And you could be shooting rabid avatars
fairly sure this has been done before a lot
not sure why I'd remake something just to add "rabid avatars" (???)
Assasin-Kiashi wrote:Caress Idiot9.0's face: The Game
renhoek wrote:How about a game where you're sitting at a computer and you have to press a button whenever a bad message (message could be red to signify bad) to smack you're head on the desk, and press a different button when a good message pops up and you just hug the screen.

Call it stabyourself.net forum in game form.
Also Kiashi I think you're developing a problem.
sounds like a lot of art and about 5 minutes coding
if it's an awesome problem is it really a problem

Jackostar10000

Post » 17 Dec 2013, 12:08

A game where obsticles fly across the gorund from left and right. and you need to jump with timing so you dont get hit. look up New super mario bros U mission where you dodge the fire bros. but you can move left and right. then you score is how long you last

Camewel

Post » 17 Dec 2013, 12:49

Jackostar10000 wrote:A game where obsticles fly across the gorund from left and right. and you need to jump with timing so you dont get hit. look up New super mario bros U mission where you dodge the fire bros. but you can move left and right. then you score is how long you last
Flutter Skye wrote:Maybe a game,where you are box and need to jump in good time, to jump on the circles. With Drugs, it would be to easy then. http://i.imgur.com/1WAQt29.png
oh

HAPPYFACES

Post » 17 Dec 2013, 22:15

Maybe a game about trading boxes full of 2P games in a world where 2P games are illegal. Almost like GTA: Chinatown Wars, but without the GTA part. Or the Chinatown part.

also2pgamesisaeuphamismfordrugs. It'll send a great message; don't do 2P games kids.

Oh damn, the title of this page gave me a great idea. A real hedgehog going through the first Sonic stage. I don't know how that would go, but something tells me the dying would be hilarious.

Camewel

Post » 17 Dec 2013, 23:21

Well, the spleef game is "done" after roughly four hours. It was honestly a very ambitious thing to try and do in only 5 hours, and considering that, it turned out quite well.

DOWNLOAD

GAMEPLAY:
Hold the grenade button down to charge your throw.
Press the grenade/rocket button again to make it explode.

CONTROLS:
Player 1
Up - up arrow
Down - down arrow
Left - left arrow
Right - right arrow
Jump - [
Push - ]
Grenade - '
Rocket - \

Player 2
Up - w
Down - s
Left - a
Right - d
Jump - Space
Push - z
Grenade - x
Rocket - c

Player 3
Up - t
Down - g
Left - f
Right - h
Jump - v
Push - b
Grenade - r
Rocket - y

Player 4
Up - i
Down - k
Left - j
Right - l
Jump - n
Push - m
Grenade - comma
Rocket - full stop

I might go back to this on a later day if one of the games is easy to make (add gamepad support, options menu, better collisions, etc).
ENJOY (if possible)

popcan12

Post » 18 Dec 2013, 00:21

Okay, since my last request was way unspecific, could I ask you to make this?

A game where you move along the x and y plane and you jump endlessly into the sky by jumping onto blocks on the right. Oh, and if you go left, something special happens that changes your perspective on life.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 18 Dec 2013, 03:54

Wow! The spleef game was awesome! Really, good work!
Now I just have to find someone else to play with me :(

Jorichi

Post » 18 Dec 2013, 12:28

I can't remember how this came to mind, but this sounds like a fun game to me:
Also, I don't know if it's easy/hard to do, so it's up to you. It might be way over that 5 hour limit.
So it's your call.

Galactic Scrapheap: (or something like that, idk)
It's a very arcade-like game with a twist. Actually inspired by an ancient game I can't find the name of.
You're a spaceship with two main abilities:
Fly around freely like in asteroids or connect to the edge of the map (you will be able to move along the edges all the way around) (perhaps use spacebar to snap on and off the edges?).
Hitting the walls in free movement will make you simply bump off.
The Mouse cursor is used to aim (direction of flight (maybe WASD is better) and fire for free flying and just direction of fire for 'on rail').
Left mouse button to shoot lasers and right mouse button to launch heat seeking missiles, which occasionally drop from enemies, while in free flying mode.

Now here's the gimmick: Whenever you kill a normal enemy, they explode into a bunch of 'pixels' or pieces of debris. These pixels or debris scatter until they hit a wall. Once they hit the wall they become part of it. And the more enemies you kill, the more the wall clutters up with pixels n' stuff. The play area becomes more and more crowded and the 'on rail' mode will follow the outer line of the cluttered pixels.
In 'on rail' mode of the ship though, you can mine away this junk. With left mouse button you can still shoot normally and with right mouse button you can mine it out of your way.
Enemies keep spawning, so choose wisely between mining and fighting.
Your score is the amount of debris cleared instead of enemies killed.

Here's some more indepth ideas if you want to:
(mostly fun for adding in later I guess)
There could be different kinds of enemies:
- Enemies that follow you, enemies that shoot at you from a distance, enemies that try to keep away from you line of sight.
- Enemies that don't explode and cause debris, but crash in their entirety and become part of the walls.
- Enemies that explode when they hit the wall, helping you a little when you mine (but if you get to close to the explosion will hurt you).
- Enemies that are 'on rail' and shoot at you or even try to dump debris on you walls.
- Enemies that aren't killed by your shots, but instead get pushed by them until they hit the wall.
Most of these abilities can be mixed to make it interesting.

Power ups:
- Power mining: A rare drop form certain enemies that will let the player have very fast mining for a short amount of time.
- Shield: a temporary shield that will protect you from enemy fire.
- Heat seeking lasers: For a short amount of time the LMB ability becomes auto-targeting.

Perhaps power-ups, instead of being randomly dropped, can be bought with debris/pixels, aka your score.
You could also add things like "Clear screen of enemies", "Clear screen of debris" and other things.
Ofcourse they all have their downsides, the main being it will decrease your score a lot.

When mining it can happen that you disconnect some of the debris from the walls, small parts will evaporate and big parts will fly around until they hit the wall again.
It would be cool if certain enemies could get hit/crushed by these big pieces.
Sorry for the long ass description, I know you asked for short ones.
This all might just be too much for just 5 hours of coding though. But it can always be a neat little project afterwards, it's up to you.
If you want I could make sprites for it afterwards.

Assasin-Kiashi

Post » 18 Dec 2013, 13:17

renhoek wrote:Also Kiashi I think you're developing a problem.[/del]
Theres no problem ren. If you want, we could caress faces together. If you want to. o u o

Camewel

Post » 18 Dec 2013, 15:10

popcan, 5 hours, not 5 minutes
jorichi, 5 hours, not 5 weeks I'll see what I can do

Camewel

Post » 18 Dec 2013, 23:32

CARESS IDIOT'S FACE THE GAME

Use space to raise Kiashi's hand, and release space to stroke idiot's beautiful face.
Longer strokes are more points.
Be careful, if you raise Kiashi's hand too much, you'll start to lose points.
You only have 60 seconds before idiot notices and you have to run away.
I got a score of 4273 try and beat it lol.

Assasin-Kiashi

Post » 19 Dec 2013, 00:40

oh my god this is amazing.

TheSeek

Post » 19 Dec 2013, 00:46

Camewel wrote: I got a score of 4273 try and beat it lol.
4352, once you know when to stop is not extremely hard.
Also, i vote this for Best Game of 2014, $5000 donation on Kickstarter/10

A suggestion in general for all of these small games: a way to restart without closing and re-opening them would be cool.

Camewel

Post » 19 Dec 2013, 02:15

new feature: press R to reset

Code: Select all

function love.keypressed(k)
if k == "r" then
love.load()
end
end
Assasin-Kiashi wrote:oh my god this is amazing.
You're amazing welcome

also 4360 is my current best and that's not even nearly optimal

TurretBot

Post » 19 Dec 2013, 22:57

arkanoid/pong vs space invaders

either you have to hit the invaders with the arkanoid paddle
or
it's a vs game and you have to hit the ship with the ball or shoot the paddle(?) if your the ship

Camewel

Post » 20 Dec 2013, 01:09

I might skip frogger because it's a dumb game and it's hard to make it fun especially when everything is a god damn box I'm not an artist :(
also turret that's been done before so many times

BobTheLawyer

Post » 20 Dec 2013, 01:29

All you gotta do is google.

Camewel

Post » 20 Dec 2013, 01:32

I can't look at that frog sprite for more than 12 seconds without wanting to cry
also part of the point of this is that I don't steal random stuff from the internet
also also that was only one of about 7 problems

TurretBot

Post » 20 Dec 2013, 02:43

Camewel wrote:also turret that's been done before so many times
note to self use google
god im an idiot...

Mr.Q.Marx?

Post » 24 Dec 2013, 19:01

Played around with some of the graphics on the Idiot Stroking game. You might like it?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l5xw0901qi488 ... 0GAME.love
Looking forward to playing more of these, really liking it. Feels like an advent calendar of minigames.

EDIT: my best is 2444 by the way.

Think_with_Coins

Post » 07 Mar 2014, 13:48

Superleetprogrammer

just with more programming

Camewel

Post » 07 Mar 2014, 19:29

Done, next?