NES Corruption Appreciation Thread

If it doesn't fit elsewhere, it should go here
Firaga

Post » 26 Jun 2013, 07:33

Every time you get dust in that damn cartridge, stuff is going to happen to your game. Weird stuff.
This is a thread honoring every ROM, glitchy and wrecked. Every single one. Feel free to post video's and such related! (Just don't go overboard, and if your going to, use the spoiler tags).

Here are some recommended tools if you want to try it yourself:
  • - Jnes - Nes Emulator (Windows)
    - Nestopia - Nes Emulator (Mac)
    - CORRUPT - Nes Rom Corrupter
(Note : Some .dll's might be missing for CORRUPT, I might put a download up shortly with all the files in it)

Corrupting ROM's using CORRUPT
Ignore the toolbar at the top, your probably not going to need it, be prepared to reset the machine after making slight adjustments, because it's going to crash. A lot.

List of things and what you should do with them:
  • Top Area:
    Change Directory To ==== What directory your going to be using ROM's from.
    Run Emulator ==== Self Explanatory. It doesn't matter what emulator you use (automatically set to Nesticle).
    Corrupt This ROM ==== Again, self explanatory, what ROM your going to be 'experimenting' on.
    Create This ==== Automatically set to 'CORRUPT.nes'. This is the corrupt file it will save and load. When applying new setting to it, it will erase the old one, and put in the next.

Range:
    - Range/Start ==== This is where the corrupter will start corrupting game data. You usually set this at $0, the beginning of a file, but can be raised as much as you want. You can also add/subtract to both categories, or add/subtract to them separately.
    - Range/End ==== This is where the corrupter stops corrupting game data. The corrupter will not let the game run if the End is lower than the Start. For best results, keep the End far away from the Start.
    - Range/Change_Range_By ==== Keep this at $250.
    - Auto-End ==== Automatically sets the End to the Start.

Which Bytes:
    - Change ALL Bytes ==== Using this is like going full retard. Never go full retard, and never choose this option. It wipes all the memory from the range you have chosen, and replaces it all randomly.
    - Every _____th Byte ==== What Bytes in the range it will corrupt (Keep this at around 500~3000 for best results).
    - Bytes 0 After Byte and Mask ________ ==== I honestly have no idea what this does, as I've always found 'Every _____th Byte' much easier.

Action:
    - Shift Right _ Bytes ==== Shifts the current corrupted Byte to the next available free byte.
    - Corrupt Bytes with Random Bytes ==== Randomly replaces the corrupted data with random garbage within the range. Anything could happen.
    - Corrupt Bytes with Byte Range __ to __ ==== Replaces only certain values within the range. I use this constantly, because it's easy to use.
    - Corrupt Bytes with Looping Sequence __________ ==== Again, I have no idea what this does. Anyone knows, help would be appreciated.
    - Add ___ To Byte ==== Adds numbers to bytes to change the data slightly.

Bottom Area:
    - Go ==== Do you really have to ask?
    - Auto ==== Never got this fucker to work, but if anything, I would think that it automatically runs if any changes are made.

It does not affect the original ROM, it creates a backup and corrupts the copy.
Last edited by Firaga on 27 Jun 2013, 02:18, edited 4 times in total.

TheJonyMyster

Post » 26 Jun 2013, 08:07

I'll post images later, but on Nestopia, you save states as separate files from the game.
When you load states from different games, the game usually crashes.
But Loz and Smb + DH seem to work fine with it. But it causes cool graphical errors (especially in duck hunt)

Mari0Maker

Post » 26 Jun 2013, 17:56

I'll have to try this out sometime. :)
You should also note that Nestopia can be used on Windows too.

Automatik

Post » 26 Jun 2013, 22:32

Super matrix bros.
Sometimes, mario will swim, and release small bubbles, and big bubbles(Which are actually the graphics for floating sky-platforms)
I got that with my own corrupter made in python.(I won't release that yet, because some outputted ROMs just won't work.)

Firaga

Post » 27 Jun 2013, 01:49

Megaman 3

Would you be surprised that this game actually worked fine, and was just a little graphically (and musically) bugged?
Music a little messed up, moving the cursor causes the game to hang itself, and sustain the last note played (if one was currently playing).
Ninja Gaiden

Collecting anything hangs the machine, makes you a pink rectangle, and freezes the background with garbage data (also happens when enemies are loaded onto the screen), though every letter and/or number seems to coincide with a certain tile.

BobTheLawyer

Post » 27 Jun 2013, 03:42

Automatik wrote:http://i.imgur.com/OjwhQfq.png
Super matrix bros.
Sometimes, mario will swim, and release small bubbles, and big bubbles(Which are actually the graphics for floating sky-platforms)
I got that with my own corrupter made in python.(I won't release that yet, because some outputted ROMs just won't work.)
Can you just give me the .rom for SMB?

Mari0Maker

Post » 27 Jun 2013, 03:55

BobTheLawyer wrote:
Automatik wrote:http://i.imgur.com/OjwhQfq.png
Super matrix bros.
Can you just give me the .rom for SMB?
Look it up yourself. It's sort of illegal to talk about getting ROMs and ISOs.

TheJonyMyster

Post » 27 Jun 2013, 04:01

Only if you don't have the game.

Mari0Maker

Post » 27 Jun 2013, 04:07

TheJonyMyster wrote:Only if you don't have the game.
If you have the game and console/handheld, it's legal to download it.
You still can't discuss it on the forums, though. Now lets not get this thread derailed.

Camewel

Post » 27 Jun 2013, 05:33

It's never legal to download ROMs/ISOs. It's honestly pretty dubious to rip them at all.

BobTheLawyer

Post » 27 Jun 2013, 13:39

http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp#download_rom
I just wanted Automatik's corrupted version.
It is just as much the same to regular SMB as Mari0 is to SMB

Automatik

Post » 27 Jun 2013, 13:46

The thing is that nothing happen when you press start. The main menu is unresponsive.
Edit, on another Corruption, I got that music : https://www.dropbox.com/s/b3utfyr9jmnze ... mMusic.mp3
I also wanted to record a video, but RecordMyDesktop don't seem compliant.

Mari0Maker

Post » 27 Jun 2013, 17:21

Automatik wrote:The thing is that nothing happen when you press start. The main menu is unresponsive.
Edit, on another Corruption, I got that music : https://www.dropbox.com/s/b3utfyr9jmnze ... mMusic.mp3
I also wanted to record a video, but RecordMyDesktop don't seem compliant.
Try using Microsoft Expression 4 Screen Capture. It works really well.
Of course I can't use it though ever since I screwed with my audio driver.

Automatik

Post » 27 Jun 2013, 17:25

Try using Microsoft Expression 4 Screen Capture. It works really well.
I'm on linux.
Also, I just solved that problem: I had to set the "Audio Peripheric" to "pulse".

popcan12

Post » 06 Feb 2014, 02:29

I know this isn't NES related, but it is a corruption I did (with the vinesauce rom corrupter).