stop playing video games

If it doesn't fit elsewhere, it should go here
jollyzaa

Post » 19 Jun 2013, 12:53

What age should someone stop playing video games? I am 26 and sometimes I miss playing video games. I quit because I felt that I should live in reality, get a girlfriend, and grow up. Sometimes I play on the weekends if I am alone or don't have any work. I don't know why but whenever I buy a new game I get these feel guilty about it because of the loser stigma of a gamer.
Last edited by jollyzaa on 20 Jun 2013, 12:30, edited 1 time in total.

Flutter Skye

Post » 19 Jun 2013, 12:57

First, welcome to the forums , we hope you stay . Second, this doesn't have anything with technical support, you could make a thread in the twatter section or in the Chat Room.

TheJonyMyster

Post » 19 Jun 2013, 14:27

Never.

Automatik

Post » 19 Jun 2013, 14:37

There is no reason to stop playing video games when you grow up. Obviously, you have less free time, you have to work, etc, but that don't mean you should feel guilt from playing a video game.

TheJonyMyster

Post » 19 Jun 2013, 14:40

Yeah. Why would playing a video game make you a loser?
Seriously, I know it's only a question, but you can't just go to a forum for people who play video games and say playin video games makes you a loser.

Jorichi

Post » 19 Jun 2013, 15:03

Games are entertainment. A good time-waster, escape from reality. I've seen more 30+ guys play videogames (even the kiddy ones) than I have seen the age-appropriate kids play them.
Some people let games consume their lives, but really... what are those points, lives or kills really worth?
You'll find a nice balance sooner or later. Everyone does.

Camewel

Post » 19 Jun 2013, 15:04

jollyzaa wrote:whenever I buy a new game I get these feel guilty about it because of the loser stigma of a gamer.
This honestly sounds more like you have actual mental scarring, maybe from being bullied or something? You shouldn't feel guilt from social stuff when you're doing something on your own.

Jorichi

Post » 19 Jun 2013, 15:09

Camewel wrote:
jollyzaa wrote:whenever I buy a new game I get these feel guilty about it because of the loser stigma of a gamer.
This honestly sounds more like you have actual mental scarring, maybe from being bullied or something? You shouldn't feel guilt from social stuff when you're doing something on your own.
The only kind of 'guilt' I feel when buying a games is not completing the last game I bought... Or spending more money than I planned.

Gamers being losers is very old. Being a Gamer or a 'Nerd' seems to be quite 'in' these days.
(Yes, I should know. One of my good friends is one of those 'reputation snobs'.)
Might just be a local thing though.

Mr.Q.Marx?

Post » 19 Jun 2013, 15:18

As someone who tours playing chiptune, I should point out, being in touch with your geeky side is totally in right now.
You go to the cinema, see a comic book hero. I don't know anyone that hasn't at least played CoD. Minecraft (a MMO with retro graphics) is being sold to everyone from the ages of 6 to their grave. Not to mention my entire family having a game or two on the Wii. Now is a great time indeed.

Automatik

Post » 19 Jun 2013, 15:45

Mr.Q.Marx? wrote:Minecraft (a MMO with retro graphics)
Uh.
Mr.Q.Marx? wrote:I should point out, being in touch with your geeky side is totally in right now.
The word "geek" has lost his meaning nowadays. It should mean "Passioned about something[Usually computers]" but not directly "Gamer".
Wikipedia wrote:The word geek is a slang term for odd or non-mainstream people, with different connotations ranging from "a computer expert or enthusiast" to "a person heavily interested in a hobby", with a general pejorative meaning of "a peculiar or otherwise dislikable person, esp[ecially] one who is perceived to be overly intellectual".

Mr.Q.Marx?

Post » 19 Jun 2013, 17:32

I knew the one time I forgot to read though my post twice before posting would come back to bite me.

By geek I'm of course using the modern meaning of having a strong fondness of a medium but with less social abnormallities than nerd.
Are we really going to enforce archaic meanings onto words that simply just do not have those conitations anymore?
If I say 'gay' there is unlikely to be anyone arguing that it means 'happy' because that is simply not the case now.

I admit that I may have been incorrect about the genre Minecraft. My point was mostly that when everyone's playing games and watching comic book movies then there shouldn't still be such a stigma.
However as they said in Victorian English: I believe the rest of the text is Oll Korrect.

Camewel

Post » 19 Jun 2013, 17:42

Pretty much everyone has something they're geeky about. "Geek" has just come to mean "tech geek". Words can change much more than this.