The Oculus Rift

If it doesn't fit elsewhere, it should go here
HAPPYFACES

Post » 19 Jun 2013, 02:34

I'm sure as a small community dedicated to independent works and styles of play, someone has to have heard of the Oculus Rift?

A WIP-true-Virtual Reality-system. Something people have been waiting for forever.

How excited are you? What do you want to see in it? Do you think you'll buy a dev kit and see what you can do with it?

I just recently had this thought about the Rift and The DIVISION, or Destiny. Think about how flipping awesome it would be to play those games in true, latency-free, VR.

Camewel

Post » 19 Jun 2013, 02:40

It sounds pretty sexy but I really don't think it'll be as impressive as everyone makes it out to be.

Sky

Post » 19 Jun 2013, 02:44

If video games go down this route - where the majority of systems are more like this and/or the Kinect - then I'm quitting gaming.

Something about virtual reality bugs me. I don't know what it is. Maybe it's the whole "put yourself in the game" thing. Maybe it's the fact that it doesn't have buttons - I like my buttons. Maybe it's the fact that a real Bowser's Castle would make me afraid, whereas with a controller it just puts me in the zone. Maybe seeing something right in front of my eyes puts me off far more than seeing it in front of my character - I never have liked FPS games.

I just don't like it. Maybe it's just me getting old.  WE'VE NEVER DONE IT THAT WAY BEFORE 

HAPPYFACES

Post » 19 Jun 2013, 02:45

The guy behind the project has been following VR since he had the brain to do so :P It's also pretty far in development, but he's not gonna let it out to consumers until it's perfect.
But what are your apprehensions?

And the Kinect was a failure in my books. That wasn't VR, that was waving your hands around while still looking at a 2D plane. Just take some time and don't pay attention to it until it releases. It probably won't bug you so much later.

BobTheLawyer

Post » 19 Jun 2013, 02:48

Actually WillWare, being in bowser's castle would be pretty cool...

Sky

Post » 19 Jun 2013, 02:53

HAPPYFACES wrote:And the Kinect was a failure in my books. That wasn't VR, that was waving your hands around while still looking at a 2D plane. Just take some time and don't pay attention to it until it releases. It probably won't bug you so much later.
That was less me comparing the Oculus Rift to the Kinect and more an overarching rant that covers both cases. One will lead to the other in the search of "truly immersive gameplay."

TheJonyMyster

Post » 19 Jun 2013, 02:55

Why don't you just make your own console?
(Blah blah takes so much work, blah takes a degree in blah, bloohdey blah bluh)
I mean learn how, then make your own console.

Camewel

Post » 19 Jun 2013, 03:07

TheJonyMyster wrote:Why don't you just make your own console?
(Blah blah takes so much work, blah takes a degree in blah, bloohdey blah bluh)
I mean learn how, then make your own console.
You know, if people complain that people are so bad they should just make their own species instead.
(the point I'm making is that your point is shit)

TheJonyMyster

Post » 19 Jun 2013, 03:19

My point may not be perfect, but it isn't that bad.
Making a console isn't impossible, and it doesn't take as much time or is as hard as making your own species.
You're point is too exaggerated.

HAPPYFACES

Post » 19 Jun 2013, 03:28

Oh okay, WillWare. That's alright, I'm pretty sure immersive gameplay, like what the Rift hopes to deliver, won't phase out classic gaming while we're alive.

TheJonyMyster

Post » 19 Jun 2013, 03:30

And if it does, we still have computers and the games already on them, and the internet.
The gamers wont let THAT die.

Camewel

Post » 19 Jun 2013, 03:32

There will still be "retro indie games" a thousand years from now, with buttons and pixels. You don't need to worry about that.

HAPPYFACES

Post » 19 Jun 2013, 03:32

Rift is going to be like a monitor for a PC, Jony. Not a whole new system. .-.

Camewel, at that point the word "Retro" will probably have a social meaning of "from 2001".

TheJonyMyster

Post » 19 Jun 2013, 03:42

HAPPYFACES

Post » 19 Jun 2013, 03:53

I can't really tell if that face means genuine surprise, or a metric ass tonne of "No shit".

Firaga

Post » 19 Jun 2013, 03:55

Looks cool, do want because of compatibility with Half Life.

TheJonyMyster

Post » 19 Jun 2013, 03:59

HAPPYFACES wrote:I can't really tell if that face means genuine surprise, or a metric ass tonne of "No shit".
It's neither. It's this face:
D;

Bonko

Post » 19 Jun 2013, 04:54

I heard they worked amazing.
If video games took that route, I would love it. It would be awesome to be inside a video game. Only concern is the price.

TheJonyMyster

Post » 19 Jun 2013, 04:58

Maybe buttons and VR could be combined. How else are you going to move your character?

TheSeek

Post » 19 Jun 2013, 05:54

I'm not impressed, not even a bit...don't get me wrong, i'm sure the experience it might give once it's completed could be awesome, but...is not like is something new, it is basically what the SegaScope 3-D and Famicom 3D System were already in 1987, except being made with modern technologes(light-weighted materials, bigger resolution/HD, motion sensors, and so on), really nothing different...a simple "evolution" of an old and alredy made idea.
The exact same thing happened with 3D cinemas...most people praised it as a new and revolutionary thing, but actually the 3D cinema was born back in the 20's(yes, over 90 years ago), and used the same basic technologies used in modern 3D cinema, shutter glasses and polarization glasses...the 3D we have now is a simple evolution of what it was 90 years ago, nothing new.

HAPPYFACES

Post » 19 Jun 2013, 06:49

Well of course it's nothing new, but the evolution of something old is definitely something to be impressed by. I mean, it tracks your head movements. No matter how small that one little evolution is, it makes a big difference in how the game is played.
What you said is basically saying that you wouldn't be impressed by a car's build, where it's sleeker, faster, more impressive than it's last build, if you were a car enthusiast that is. Something is telling me you have a bleak outlook on a lot of things, Seek :/

Not to seem like I'm pressing you to like it. I just think your reason for not liking it is weird.

Assasin-Kiashi

Post » 19 Jun 2013, 10:13

MARI0 WITH OCULUS RIFT WOULD BE SO MUCH BETTER//shot

Mr.Q.Marx?

Post » 19 Jun 2013, 13:05

I made a VR system that tracked your head movements around 5 years ago. I made it out of a wiimote strapped to my head. Easy.
I used a dancemat to give strange gliding movements. It was like how I fly in my dreams.
I attached a set of video goggles as a monitor. I set it to red and cyan settings so it would be 3-D.
It's not exactly hard to do VR.

Sašo
Stabyourself.net

Post » 19 Jun 2013, 17:18

TheSeek wrote:I'm not impressed, not even a bit...don't get me wrong, i'm sure the experience it might give once it's completed could be awesome, but...is not like is something new, it is basically what the SegaScope 3-D and Famicom 3D System were already in 1987, except being made with modern technologes(light-weighted materials, bigger resolution/HD, motion sensors, and so on), really nothing different...a simple "evolution" of an old and alredy made idea.
The exact same thing happened with 3D cinemas...most people praised it as a new and revolutionary thing, but actually the 3D cinema was born back in the 20's(yes, over 90 years ago), and used the same basic technologies used in modern 3D cinema, shutter glasses and polarization glasses...the 3D we have now is a simple evolution of what it was 90 years ago, nothing new.
Screen latency was always an issue. Yes, the whole thing is nothing new, but nobody it's claiming it to be. But it is a revolution because it finally arrived and it will be available at a relatively low price.

TheSeek

Post » 19 Jun 2013, 20:26

HAPPYFACES wrote: What you said is basically saying that you wouldn't be impressed by a car's build, where it's sleeker, faster, more impressive than it's last build, if you were a car enthusiast that is.
Uh...yes. Cuz to me there is nothing to be impressed with if a newer version of something is better than the previous version...for it to be better is expected. When something new comes out(new as in if someone thinks to realize, and actually realizes, something no one ever thought about), if a newer version of something greatly exceed the expectations, when a game pushes a system beyond what its limit were thought to be, then I'm impressed. This Oculus RIft is, to me, what I would expect for VR visors to be nowadays with nowadays technologies, nothing more, hence im not impressed.
Sašo wrote: Screen latency was always an issue. Yes, the whole thing is nothing new, but nobody it's claiming it to be. But it is a revolution because it finally arrived and it will be available at a relatively low price.
The last sentence of my answer to HAPPYFACES kinda answers this too, i guess.

Anyway, i want to remark that im not saying i dont like it or that it's not awesome, but simply that im not impressed by it.

Camewel

Post » 19 Jun 2013, 20:46

So what you're saying is that idea guys who make "new and cool" glitchy messes are awesome and people who actually do things slowly and right are losers.

HAPPYFACES

Post » 19 Jun 2013, 20:59

I'm still trying to wrap my head around your reasons. You know all that stuff you said were made years ago? The Virtual Boy, etc. Those were made... YEARS ago, redundancy intended. When the technology was flawed and extremely expensive. Yes, it's been around for decades. But only now has it been so cheap and consumer friendly, that it should be something to be excited about. Your lack of impression astonishes me, to be honest. You don't have to be impressed by the technology itself, but the mere fact someone who's been following VR since he was little is actually trying to create something better than the stuff that was sold years ago, that's something to be impressed by.

It's by no means different, but it's so much better. Maybe the way you're wording yourself is causing this headache of mine, I'm just having a difficult time trying to place your attitude. Is it like, you're indifferent? Are you disgusted? Or perhaps feeling like "Agh, not another one"?
Mr.Q.Marx? wrote:I made a VR system that tracked your head movements around 5 years ago. I made it out of a wiimote strapped to my head. Easy.
I used a dancemat to give strange gliding movements. It was like how I fly in my dreams.
I attached a set of video goggles as a monitor. I set it to red and cyan settings so it would be 3-D.
It's not exactly hard to do VR.
I lol'd, but that's not very consumer friendly eh? That's DIY. People are too lazy for DIY.

TheSeek

Post » 19 Jun 2013, 22:30

Camewel wrote:So what you're saying is that idea guys who make "new and cool" glitchy messes are awesome and people who actually do things slowly and right are losers.
What? I didnt say a thing about the people being awesome or losers and my point is absolutley not that. Also, saying that old 3d glasses system were "glitchy messes" is kind of dumb. The SegaScope 3-D was spectacular, it wasnt a "glitchy mess", it was the best that 80's technology could offer, exactly how the Ocular RIft is the best nowadays technology can offer. Saying they were "glitchy messes" is like saying old NES graphics are "glitchy messes" just cuz they're old...they were the best that the 80's technology could offer, exactly how Ps3/4 XBOX360/One graphics are the best nowadays technology can offer(yes, repeating the same sentnce on purpose to prove my point).
HAPPYFACES wrote:I'm still trying to wrap my head around your reasons. You know all that stuff you said were made years ago? The Virtual Boy, etc. Those were made... YEARS ago, redundancy intended. When the technology was flawed and extremely expensive. Yes, it's been around for decades. But only now has it been so cheap and consumer friendly, that it should be something to be excited about. Your lack of impression astonishes me, to be honest. You don't have to be impressed by the technology itself, but the mere fact someone who's been following VR since he was little is actually trying to create something better than the stuff that was sold years ago, that's something to be impressed by.

It's by no means different, but it's so much better. Maybe the way you're wording yourself is causing this headache of mine, I'm just having a difficult time trying to place your attitude. Is it like, you're indifferent? Are you disgusted? Or perhaps feeling like "Agh, not another one"?
My answer to the first part is basically the same i gave to Camewel.
About the second part...Am i indifferent? No. Do i like it? Yes, it's awesome. Simply im not impressed.
It's hard to explain...maybe with an example: Street Fighter 2 and Street Fighter 4, SF2 on the SNES/arcades and SF4 on PC/X360/PS3/arcades, SF4 has better graphics, it's in 3D, it's HD, it is better than SF2 in every single technical aspect, but the game itself it is better? Nope it's not, it's the same identical game, just more characters and(relatively) moves, nothing else. This meand that I do like SF4, but im not impressed by it just cuz it looks better, cuz it's the same game snce 1991. Same with MGS 1, 2, and 3, 2 looked better than 1, 3 looked better than 2 and 1, i loved all of them, yet im not impressed by 2 or 3 cuz they were the exact same game of 1 with essentially no great game improvements.

Camewel

Post » 19 Jun 2013, 22:33

So what you're saying is that significant advancements in technology aren't actually impressive?

Automatik

Post » 19 Jun 2013, 22:34

Camewel wrote:So what you're saying is that significant advancements in technology aren't actually impressive?
If they didn't overcome big technical challenges, then no.

TheSeek

Post » 19 Jun 2013, 22:55

Camewel wrote:So what you're saying is that significant advancements in technology aren't actually impressive?
1st, i didnt say it is not impressive on an absolute level, i said that I am not impressed, it didnt impress ME.
2nd, if significant advancements in technology did nothing but improve already existing ideas, concepts and devices, then no, they're not impressive at all to me. If, thanks to said advancements, new ideas, concept and devices could be created and developed, then yes, they'd be impressive to me.

HAPPYFACES

Post » 13 Jul 2013, 01:31

Okay, I see now. Well, if you like it to an extent, I'd say follow it's development. Maybe it will present something groundbreaking that will impress you. You never know, as it is still in the development stage.

Super cool EDIT:

I think this might explain what has been on my mind, Seek.
Yes, VR started way back, but everyone got sick of the fact they couldn't actually do anything about it. The Rift is bringing it back with a fresh perspective and better tech.
Please watch the entirety of it :3

Bonko

Post » 13 Jul 2013, 02:45

Now I fully believe that the Oculus Rift is the future of entertainment.
TV shows, games, exploration, so many possibilities.

thunderfapper

Post » 13 Sep 2013, 00:53

I'm going to get the Dev kit for christmas (I'm paying $100, and each of my parents are paying $100) And boy am I excited! =D