Criticism.

If it doesn't fit elsewhere, it should go here
User avatar
Flutter Skye
Posts: 1690
Joined: 08 Apr 2012, 17:54

Post » 24 May 2013, 08:22

I'm open to criticism.

User avatar
Shank
Posts: 225
Joined: 24 Feb 2013, 04:17

Post » 24 May 2013, 09:13

Yay! Someone else criticize me now.

User avatar
Sašo
Stabyourself.net
Posts: 1416
Joined: 06 Jan 2012, 12:07

Post » 24 May 2013, 10:37

In the BHOAY thread I made (and locked) a while ago I wanted to avoid other inputs so there would be no bad provocative posts.

So far this thread is going well, so that's nice to see.

User avatar
Mari0Maker
Posts: 1346
Joined: 07 Apr 2012, 17:10

Post » 24 May 2013, 23:34

FlutterPie wrote:I'm open to criticism.
FlutterPie: You started out not too great when you returned from being permabanned, with grammar and all, but now you've become quite fitted to this forum, with good grammar, and some more common sense. :)

Keep in mind I'm still open for criticism. :)

User avatar
copy
Posts: 417
Joined: 17 Apr 2012, 16:29

Post » 25 May 2013, 02:11

As I've been around for quite some time, I'd like to hear what some people(renhoek and camasomethin') have to say about me.
Hit me with the shit!

User avatar
TurretBot
Posts: 4529
Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 23:18

Post » 25 May 2013, 10:01

Don't do me (EDIT: I should have known =P I hate reverse psycology) because I know how that will end up already.
Sašo wrote:I'll skip the line of people i don't remember that well and just get to someone I know a bit more.
And break my own rules at the same time by quoting a post to make a point.


Turret Opera
Do you know why you're banned that often from the IRC?
Turret Opera wrote:Enter.
Shift.
CTRL.
Because of shit like this. Half assed attempts to be funny. And your portal related roleplay is horribly irritating and repetitive. It's not funny. It's NOT funny. Maybe SOMEONE finds you funny, but personally I don't.

You know what's fun? Kicking or banning you. That's what's fun.

And I can't say your performance on the forum is that much different.
And I'm sure nobody's opinion has changed since. If it did, well, then I don't think you're giving criticism anymore, now are you?
Last edited by TurretBot on 25 May 2013, 17:06, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
idiot9.0
Posts: 1707
Joined: 09 Mar 2012, 10:28

Post » 25 May 2013, 11:12

Evaluation time class! Who's ready to fail?
Trist: Though you do make some stupid posts/jokes sometimes, you're an overall good person, and you had one of the best starts on this forum as well. Pretty good.

Qcode: You're one of the best people on this forum. Rarely do I see a stupid post from you, if at all, and you're just overall helpful. Working on projects with you is also a blast.

Camewel: Again, one of the best people here. You tend to be brutal with honesty, and while I like that, you sometimes do go overboard. It gives off a rude vibe, but hey, you're being you. You also are a great coder, though I haven't seen a fully 'complete' project from you. I want to see a complete game. And I'm not counting Box Game.

HappyFaces: You are one of the more helpful ones on the forums. You'll always try to steer people in the right direction if they have a quetion. Also I remember you starting out wanting to be in the GoStabyourself mod when you first joined, but after that you became one of my more favorite members. You also just have great ideas in general.

Firaga: I know who you are.... but I can never remember where you posted. The only things I remember you for are your various pony avatars and 'The Night before Christmas' mappack you made. This isn't a bad thing, but I do wish I remembered you more.

idiot9.0: I know you! You're that asshole on the forums! You need to be a lot nicer and--- oh wait....

Costinteo: Honestly all I know about you is you're a good member. I can't recall you ever being stupid, but also can't pin you down for being exceptional. Just good. Maybe I'm remembering you from a mappack or two? I dunno.

Popcan: Not sure if you wanted to be criticized but you're okay. I can't really pin you down as memorable, as I barely see you around.

Jorichi: You are one of the best. Great artist, Great spriter, great poster, great ideas. I never see a bad post from you. The only thing I'd say about you is you tend to be too nice at times. But I can understand why. You give off that vibe that you want to solve the problems without pissing people off. It leaves a good reputation on you and makes you more likeable in the long run. Don't change a thing.

Turtley: You were the first person I ever have had to put on my foe list. That in itself is enough to say something. But for your sake, I'll explain. You are one of the worst posters this forum has ever seen. You post the same damn thing in mulitple topics multiple times, you don't read anything before you, and you've used your age as an excuse, which it's not. I could care less if you are improving honestly, as I'm probably just gonna ignore you no matter what.

Renhoek: You are one of the better ones who had a rough start IMO. From my memory you posted everywhere and I just would wait until your next ban. But you have improved drastically since then and now all I really see is helpful posts from you. Also I love that you had the X's removed from your name. They were a pain to type all the time.

Bonko: I honestly can't remember good or bad posts from you. You're just a good member I guess. I know you from the GoStabyourself mod as well though, so you must be good since I allowed you in.

Kiashi: Artist extraordinaire right here! You're talented and only gonna get better. Also you're not afraid to tell people to get out of a thread, so you're up there on the brutally honest list. Other than that you're a great member.

Mr.Q.Marx: I really only know you from hanging out with you in IRC so I can't really judge your forum habits, but I haven't seen any bad posts from you so you're a good member. You also make great music, so don't stop that either.

mari0bros2: Dang I can't remember you too well. I know you're in the GoStab. mod too though, since I let you in. So you must be good as well, but I just can't remember.

TripleXero: You're a great member. Also a good modder, even if you're just beginning. The SMB+ mod is very enjoyable proof of that.

Automatik: You're the same case as Xero, though I don't know if you're a beginner. Either way your dynamic shadow mod is cool.

Hugo: You may be a newbie of sorts but you've already left a hell of a reputation in being one of the best mappers on the forums. Seriously, your mappacks are DLC worthy in my eyes. Other than that you're off to a great start here.

mindnomad: All I remember you for is being the star in the GoStab. mod. But again, since I let you in you must be good.

LightningFire: You had a bit of a rough start with your pony-loving phase. You just seemed to mention it everywhere you posted back in the day. Now though you are just a very good member here. Can't really pin any terrible posts from you.

Turtle: You're a good person. You also are a good coder. However you seem to start too many projects at once so I never see a lot completely 'finished', and I've seen some bugs in your projects that have been there from the start. You just really need to make a priorities list with your projects.

rokit boy: I remember you from the pokemon game and c0ntra games from the Game dev forum. I also remember they both failed miserably. Other than that you're okay.

Mari0Maker: All I know is you're an okay member. Other than the spring in the GoStab. mod, I can't pinpoint you as a specific type of member.

Hans: I know you've made great mappacks and great tilesets. Especially for the GoStab. mod. Other than that same as usual, great member.

BobTheLawyer: You're okay. You have modding experience so the more you practice the more you'll improve. I'll just leave it at that.

ShankYourself: Work on your posts. Improve. Because as it is right now I don't like your posts.

TheSeek: You are awesome. You always make good posts, regardless of how long between your posts there is. And you're pretty awesome to hang out in IRC, and have good ideas in general.

FlutterPie: You. You've got such a long history. But regardless you've improved quite a bit. And seeing as you're the first to come back from a permaban means you have had to improved. So good on you.

Aveond: I can't seem to remember you. Sorry, but I just don't recognize you.

Turret Opera: I'm only doing this because you asked not to. You've got a terrible sense of humor and half your jokes are stupid. However, when you do make helpful posts (and that is a rare occasion) they really are helpful. You just need to work on them terrible jokes.
And times up! Pencil's down, evaluation over. Leave your papers on my desk as you exit the class. Enjoy your weekend.

User avatar
Shank
Posts: 225
Joined: 24 Feb 2013, 04:17

Post » 25 May 2013, 12:20

I will work on my posts... but I really need to say that we have the best god darn teacher we could ever have.

User avatar
neosaneo5
Posts: 9
Joined: 02 Nov 2012, 01:10

Post » 25 May 2013, 14:03

ShankYourself.net wrote:I will work on my posts... but I really need to say that we have the best god darn teacher we could ever have.
Which (of course) is Saso Maurice.

User avatar
Costinteo
Posts: 701
Joined: 09 Mar 2013, 17:49

Post » 25 May 2013, 14:12

He meant idiot9.0

User avatar
Automatik
Posts: 1073
Joined: 20 Jul 2012, 17:54

Post » 25 May 2013, 16:21

though I don't know if you're a beginner.
Nope, I was here since, mari0's release.(Though I only made that account 20 Jul 2012, 17:54)

Most forum members are good and/or improving, so I won't repeat what Idiot said. Howered:

Turtle:
Ok, your posts are good. But:
  • Your code is sometimes strange. I remember when you had a problem with your map-saving function, in that function, you copy-pasted like 5 times the same line(to write in the file), only making minor changes to that line . Also, your "toboolean" function posted to the love2d forums, which was flawed in many ways, wasn't worth to make a topic about it(Someone even though you were just an attention whore), had a require 'conf'(Useless) at the top, and a better alternative was given some posts later(function toboolean(x) return not not x end). (Maurice isn't perfect too. And everyone can make better code over the time. I abandonned My "VV" project when I realised that my code was shit. )
  • You don't always know if something you make is good or bad.(That's why I scrapped so many projects, they weren't interesting anymore.) Turtle:Puzzles seem to have a boring gameplay(What's fun in this game? A good game idea is centered around a core concept, it's not a clusterfuck of features.) with bad and inconsistent graphics(Try to restrain to a color palette, the pixel grid and to get inspired by other games), wrapped with a "pretext" scenario(Compare "Turtle's babies were stolen! Get them back!" with The depth of something like Cave Story+).
  • Please don't put things like this in your IndieDB page. They don't give a very good idea of the game.
  • You seem to be heavily inspired by Mari0. 8-bit game with love2d, DLC and Mappack system, Hats(Useless,and at this point it's not funny anymore), forum, IRC, blog, screenshot marathon. All of that stuff is cool, but I'm sure T:P could be a better game if you were inspired by other game.
  • Btw, Turtles:Puzzles is a game where the hero is... You. Uh...
TL;DR: Be original, inspire yourself of other games, see what make them fun(maybe put them in your game) and what isn't fun(don't put them in your game) and I'm sure T:P could be a good game.
Edit: Friendlier.
Last edited by Automatik on 25 May 2013, 17:58, edited 4 times in total.

User avatar
Qcode
Posts: 1470
Joined: 05 Feb 2012, 18:00

Post » 25 May 2013, 16:24

Automatik wrote:
though I don't know if you're a beginner.
Nope, I was here since, mari0's release.(Though I only made that account 20 Jul 2012, 17:54)
I believe he meant at coding/using love, not being a member of the forum.

User avatar
Automatik
Posts: 1073
Joined: 20 Jul 2012, 17:54

Post » 25 May 2013, 17:02

Oh, then, it must've been around august 2012.

User avatar
Trist3D
Posts: 635
Joined: 08 Jan 2013, 06:31

Post » 25 May 2013, 17:25

Automatik wrote:
though I don't know if you're a beginner.
Nope, I was here since, mari0's release.(Though I only made that account 20 Jul 2012, 17:54)

Most forum members are good and/or improving, so I won't repeat what Idiot said. Howered:

Turtle:
Ok, your posts are good. But:
  • Words
TL;DR: Be original.
That sounded a bit insulting.

I said criticise in a calm way.

Caaalm
CAAAAAALLLM

User avatar
Automatik
Posts: 1073
Joined: 20 Jul 2012, 17:54

Post » 25 May 2013, 17:34

Oh I'm sorry if I sounded mean.
Turtle is a good member.

User avatar
Trist3D
Posts: 635
Joined: 08 Jan 2013, 06:31

Post » 25 May 2013, 17:38

Automatik wrote:Oh I'm sorry if I sounded mean.
Turtle is a good member.
Just don't phrase it like you did.

Instead of, "You're a bad designer," put "You need to work on your designs, and your designing process."

Or something like that.

User avatar
Turtle95
Posts: 1246
Joined: 21 Mar 2012, 21:48

Post » 25 May 2013, 19:34

I read the 'calm' version. I do still feel insulted, only by the fact you still say I'm doing this based on/because of Mari0. Here is what I have to say:
  • I am NOT basing it on Mari0 or Mario or whatever you think at all! Do you remember that I used to make the game in Java? It is 100% and original game idea and truth be told, it was pretty shitty. I had no choice but to move the game onto LOVE 2D (and I was feeling that it would be best since the only thing I knew other than Lua was Visual Basic, which would have been bad. Really, really bad) due to the fact it wouldn't turn into a .jar (and who wants to download 100MB + 'X' MB of a game?). Then when working pretty early with QCode on the early versions of Turtle: Puzzles, I figured that maybe it would be cool to use the level editor in the better way than just being like, "hey screw off it's only for making levels for the game by the developers and nothing else." Not many games come with the option to do something like this, so I decided to do it. Furthermore, the hats idea came from, well, Hatninja. I'm not trying to put it off on him, but I think it's quite fun adding hats in the game. Although not too many. That's why I added 'custom hat loading'. The graphics scenario has changed quite a bit since you last saw it though. I'd say it's more consistent now because not only the Turtle's sprites are not 8-bit, they are much more colorful and aesthetically pleasing to the eyes to go along with the rest of the graphics. Although one issue IS the font, I will admit. It's an 8-bit looking font, and I am open to suggestions on fonts. Also, the hats are not unlocked immediately. There's the Turtle Store in-game where you can buy the hats and other in-game content from getting Turtle Coins which are gained from unlocking various Achievements.
I hope this does not come off as rude, and if it does, I'm sorry. It's just this is the truth, and I hate being told that I'm doing something similar to something else because of what you said.

User avatar
HansAgain
Posts: 1099
Joined: 03 Feb 2012, 18:51

Post » 25 May 2013, 19:44

Hey! I'm still waiting for be critized.

User avatar
Trist3D
Posts: 635
Joined: 08 Jan 2013, 06:31

Post » 25 May 2013, 19:47

Hans1998 wrote:Hey! I'm still waiting for be critized.
You're impatient.
Done.

Camewel
Posts: 2996
Joined: 02 Feb 2012, 21:32

Post » 25 May 2013, 19:58

Turtle95 wrote:I read the 'calm' version. I do still feel insulted, only by the fact you still say I'm doing this based on/because of Mari0. Here is what I have to say:

-words-

I hope this does not come off as rude, and if it does, I'm sorry. It's just this is the truth, and I hate being told that I'm doing something similar to something else because of what you said.
Honestly, I agree with pretty much everything Automatik said about you. You don't seem to know what you're doing a lot of the time (using BBCode to make your entire spoiler also a list and then not actually listing anything?). Also, you can't make a long insulted post in response to someone finding flaws in you and only address some of the issues. You shrugged off the claim that is was based on Mari0 by providing flawed reasons for some of the similarities. It's not a 100% original game idea, as that would mean everything about it was original, when many puzzle platformers have been made before, and many games have starred turtles before. Saying the hats idea came from someone else on the forum doesn't mean it wasn't originally from Mari0. There were many things you totally overlooked, like why you have a devblog containing a screenshot marathon, your own forum and IRC, whether or not the game was actually fun or just a cluster of features...

You need to think out things more. That's my criticism of you for this topic. You're clearly a smart guy, but you rush into things too quickly without properly planning it, meaning you're not properly equipped for what you need to do.

User avatar
HansAgain
Posts: 1099
Joined: 03 Feb 2012, 18:51

Post » 25 May 2013, 21:05

Trist3D wrote:
Hans1998 wrote:Hey! I'm still waiting for be critized.
You're impatient.
Done.
Oh good!
Thanks!

User avatar
Automatik
Posts: 1073
Joined: 20 Jul 2012, 17:54

Post » 25 May 2013, 21:13

Turtle95 wrote:I am NOT basing it on Mari0 or Mario or whatever you think at all! You are still being inspired by Mari0.
Do you remember that I used to make the game in Java? It is 100% and original game idea and truth be told, it was pretty shitty. The problem isn't the idea.(Ok, "A turtle who solves puzzles" would raise the question "which kinds of puzzle?". What make your puzzles as interesting as Portal's or AntiChamber without being as "boring work" as Sokoban?)

I had no choice but to move the game onto LOVE 2D (and I was feeling that it would be best since the only thing I knew other than Lua was Visual Basic, which would have been bad. Really, really bad) due to the fact it wouldn't turn into a .jar (and who wants to download 100MB + 'X' MB of a game?). Right,but I'm sure that part of your decision of switching to Love2d was because It's the most used engine here. I'm not criticizing that, I'm saying that you seemed inspired by mari0 and mostly mari0.

Then when working pretty early with QCode on the early versions of Turtle: Puzzles, I figured that maybe it would be cool to use the level editor in the better way than just being like, "hey screw off it's only for making levels for the game by the developers and nothing else." Not many games come with the option to do something like this, so I decided to do it. I didn't talk about or criticized a level editor here.

Furthermore, the hats idea came from, well, Hatninja. I'm not trying to put it off on him, but I think it's quite fun adding hats in the game. Hats themselves aren't fun, IMO.
Although not too many. That's why I added 'custom hat loading'. The graphics (and the ?)scenario has changed quite a bit since you last saw it though. So, can the whole scenario be exprimed in more than 2 lines? No? Then it won't be the game's strong point. I'd say it's more consistent now because not only the Turtle's sprites are not 8-bit, they are much more colorful and aesthetically pleasing to the eyes to go along with the rest of the graphics.But are they consistent? The graphics are still bad. You can't make a game look good with only one tile
Although one issue IS the font, I will admit. It's an 8-bit looking font, and I am open to suggestions on fonts. It's not the only issue. But if you want a better font, you can:1.draw it yourself, and use a imagefont 2.Take a font where uppercases and lowercase chars look different.
Also, the hats are not unlocked immediately. Never said that hats being available from the start was bad.
There's the Turtle Store in-game where you can buy the hats and other in-game content from getting Turtle Coins which are gained from unlocking various Achievements. Btw, what's the point of a store?
And finally, if you don't want your game to be compared to mari0, then put more things that aren't in mari0.
Even if you don't want it to be a copy of mari0, it still look inspired by mari0. But I understand that you don't want to make it like that.(You said on steam that you were going for a gui that don't look like SMB's gui.)

User avatar
rokit
Posts: 2095
Joined: 03 Feb 2012, 00:47

Post » 26 May 2013, 01:28

Automatik wrote: restrain to a color palette
sorry but this made me really angry. what's the point of restricting colors for the sake of restricting colors?
i don't find any of the graphics out of place really because colors are colors and in the real life we see most of them and yet i haven't found anyone complain about how other colors should contrast others or whatever.
rocks are grey because if there is a gray lump people say "oh hey that's a rock". you shouldn't make it yellow or something because that's the color of the wallpaper.
Automatik wrote: Be original
t:p inspired by mari0?
1. i see lack of portals
2. really just how original is a portal game? (apart from portal and portal 2)
3. just because it uses the same engine doesn't mean it's inspired by it.
surely concepts are the same. but does that mean that every 2d platformer with a level editor is mari0 inspired?

i'll edit this with something more when i'm really bothered to.

Camewel
Posts: 2996
Joined: 02 Feb 2012, 21:32

Post » 26 May 2013, 01:46

Rokit boy, you seem to have a serious misunderstanding about pretty much everything going on here.

Firstly, a colour palette for sprites is good, because it gives the game a consistant feel. Have you noticed that many of the best spriters on the forums (idiot, jorichi) often have a line of colours to the side of their sprites? That's the palette they're using, and they're using it because they know palettes make sprites look nice.

Also, your arguments for T:P not being inspired by Mari0 are all shit.
1) It was never about portals
2) This is entirely irrelevant and inaccurate too because there are no other good 2D Portal games
3) That implies something more like 'based upon it'.
You also totally ignored every single point that Automatik made about it being related to Mari0.

My criticism for you is stop being dumb.

User avatar
rokit
Posts: 2095
Joined: 03 Feb 2012, 00:47

Post » 26 May 2013, 01:53

Camewel wrote:Rokit boy, you seem to have a serious misunderstanding about pretty much everything going on here.

Firstly, a colour palette for sprites is good, because it gives the game a consistant feel. Have you noticed that many of the best spriters on the forums (idiot, jorichi) often have a line of colours to the side of their sprites? That's the palette they're using, and they're using it because they know palettes make sprites look nice.
Camewel wrote:
Automatik wrote:If we ever need a color palette:Image
I never really liked the idea of restricting colours for the sake of restricting colours.
that's exactly where i got it from. so uh. yeah.
Camewel wrote: Also, your arguments for T:P not being inspired by Mari0 are all shit.
1) It was never about portals
2) This is entirely irrelevant and inaccurate too because there are no other good 2D Portal games
3) That implies something more like 'based upon it'.
You also totally ignored every single point that Automatik made about it being related to Mari0.
i can't really be bothered to comment on this because my first point i feel is really good and i don't want to ruin it.
Camewel wrote: My criticism for you is stop being dumb.
no

User avatar
idiot9.0
Posts: 1707
Joined: 09 Mar 2012, 10:28

Post » 26 May 2013, 02:05

Alright, few things:
-T: P uses elements that Mari0 has, such as a level editor and hats. They also look similar to one another. Though it might not be inspired by Mari0, given those factors people will compare it to it no matter what.
-Color Palettes are good, as restricting the amount of colors you use can help everything blend together nicely and make it pretty. But if you choose not to use them they by all means use as many colors as you want. It's how you use colors that matter, not the amount.
(Unless you're going for an old school console look, which in that case you better be using correct palettes.)
-Stop being stupids, you're derailing a perfectly good thread. If you want to argue, PMs are a thing.

User avatar
renhoek
Posts: 4545
Joined: 11 Feb 2012, 10:04

Post » 26 May 2013, 03:10

idiot9.0 for best internet guy 2013 - forever
Edit: well since people were wanting me to delete this post within mere minutes (not kidding) I have no choice but to criticize idioit9.0

please excuse any stupidity
You seem to be one of the best people on the forum (just above Jorichi no offense Jorichi it's just idiots has really helped me out in the past) the only thing I can think of that's bad about you is how easily angered you can be (which is understandable) but overall you've always been very helpful and an amazing spriter.
Last edited by renhoek on 26 May 2013, 03:34, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Trist3D
Posts: 635
Joined: 08 Jan 2013, 06:31

Post » 26 May 2013, 03:19

renhoek wrote:idiot9.0 for best internet guy 2013 - forever
You better be using that to point out that you have no critiques about him.
If not, get that outta my thread.


Side note: I'm gonna add a new rule/ guideline due to this:
rokit boy wrote:
Camewel wrote:
Camewel wrote: My criticism for you is stop being dumb.
no

User avatar
Assasin-Kiashi
Posts: 643
Joined: 07 May 2012, 10:21

Post » 27 May 2013, 10:07

Qcode wrote: Kiashi
You're a great spriter, but I think everyone knows that by now. Seem willing to contribute to all the good projects, so that's nice. I don't see too many of your posts around, but when I do it's nice.
Response: Nothing
Thanks! Your coding in gostab and pretty much everything you've coded I've always noticed is not only good but functional, and don't often have bugs, which I'm pretty sure takes skill.
idiot9.0 wrote: Kiashi: Artist extraordinaire right here! You're talented and only gonna get better. Also you're not afraid to tell people to get out of a thread, so you're up there on the brutally honest list. Other than that you're a great member.
Again, thanks a lot! getting better is certainly something I intend to do, and agree I am brutally honest, but also I try to make sure I'm polite and kind to people who deserve it while doing so, which I hope I'm succeeding in doing.

User avatar
WillWare
Posts: 1234
Joined: 08 Mar 2012, 04:35

Post » 28 May 2013, 01:36

I haven't been around much for a while, but if you remember me, I'd love some criticism.
...It'd be interesting to see if it matches up with the occasional criticism I've gotten for my conversational habits...

User avatar
Mari0Maker
Posts: 1346
Joined: 07 Apr 2012, 17:10

Post » 28 May 2013, 03:49

WillWare: You are a all around great user. You make good posts, make good mappacks and tilesets, and you are smart. :)

User avatar
HansAgain
Posts: 1099
Joined: 03 Feb 2012, 18:51

Post » 28 May 2013, 04:17

Ok, please can someone criticize me?
And, i'm not good to criticize anything, for me all can be good or bad, and between those adjetives there aren't more adjetives.

thunderfapper
Posts: 566
Joined: 03 Feb 2012, 06:35

Post » 28 May 2013, 06:00

Uhh.. I haven't been here for awhile.. but if you want to.. go ahead and criticize me.

User avatar
Hatninja
Posts: 479
Joined: 03 Feb 2012, 18:42

Post » 29 May 2013, 00:06

boy i need to be more active, i missed an entirely good thread
anyways, i would love to hear criticism about me if its not too late

HAPPYFACES
Posts: 521
Joined: 02 Jun 2012, 03:40

Post » 29 May 2013, 05:43

Updated my post in the first page all the way up to Hatninja. Enjoy.

User avatar
Shank
Posts: 225
Joined: 24 Feb 2013, 04:17

Post » 29 May 2013, 07:55

HAPPYFACES wrote:I would like to know how I come off as in my posts, if anyone has anything to say.
Gonna do this only from what I've seen, not gonna go into post histories.

Camewel:
A guy with a no-shit attitude, much like Idiot9.0. I think you and I could have some great debates If I had the bawlz (Or patience) to stand up to what you say, but then again I agree with a lot of things you say anyways. Also, commit to projects. Even if your code was made to be effective, not readable, I'd love to play and dive in to the code of your projects. Oh, only have a lil' somethin' bad to say, even though it's very hypocritical of me to say so; try to keep your irritation of other people off the board. I know I did this with Turtley when he first came, and there's no excuse for it. It causes nothing but problems, even if people back you up. (Still feel sorry about using ADHD as an insult. :c)

Qcode:
A contributor with ideas of gold, ALSO like Idiot. (Making him seem like a framework here, but hey, he's the closest example I can give, really :P). Your (And many other coder's) contributions to the Modding section of Mari0 and game development section have inspired a lot of my background projects (that will never see the light of day), so yeah; inspirational. Also you kept the Quad-hatted duck alive, which I assume is a community in-joke that was made long before I joined. Helpful, indifferent. I have a feeling you're slightly privileged IRL, but of course, my feelings have a 90% chance of being wrong.

Trist3D:
You remind me a lot of my brother, except a lot more random. And on occasion a little more stupid. But hey, you're only human. Yeah that's all I got .3.

BobtheLawyer:
 /)*(\  I really can't say much but, You're a cool guy as far as I know.

Firaga:
 /)*(\  I really can't say much about you either. I think you frequent Twatter more than any other subforum? Ahhh I dunno. The fact that the posts I've mostly seen from you are usually compliments on good works in Mari0 maps or mods puts you in green imo. You aren't getting banned anytime soon. Also; Excited for whatever it is that Square Enix is coming up with in E3? :3

Idiot9.0:
No crap will be taken from this guy, much like Idi-... Yeah. As the "leader" of the GSYS mod in the Mari0 subforum, I think you have some experience with leading in some other areas, however insignificant a community mod might be to you. If you applied your mind to coding, you'd probably be phenomenal. No kidding. But it seems you have some other things in life going on that grant your attention more than the desire to learn LOVE's OOP, right? Makes sense. Oh, might also wanna let up on the n00bs. They don't know any better, much like how Jony and Turret began. But they've become better and are actually good community members if you excuse any lapses. It could be the same for the other n00bs too! (Again, being a damn hypocrite. Faaaaaack.)

Costinteo:
You make sense. I don't know how that means anything but yeah; you make sense. Maybe you have some sense no one else has? Something about you says, "Hey, I've got sense. Of something." That confuses me. I'm sorry, I'll shut up now. Just take it as a compliment .-.

popcan12:
Sometimes I wonder who you even are, but then I remember, "oh yeah, he's Popcan12." It's probably the avatar doing something to my head. But anyways, you're nice? Like, I can't remember you ever getting banned or anything. It's kinda like Firaga.

Jorichi:
 /)*(\  I want to taste that soda that's flavored like you. In other words; you're really creative and nice. Dungeons and Twatter? Priceless. Sundae Scoops? I never would have thought of that. Scrappers? Amazing idea, love steampunk-esque things and scavenging.If I had joined this community earlier and didn't feel so insignificant, I would have immediately found a friend in you.

Turtley:
At some point in the past, in this exact post, I would have said "GTFO". But I can acknowledge that you're trying to improve, and I'm willing to take back some of the things I've said to you. But I'm still leery. You're still in that little kid stage. You might want to wait a couple more months, or years, then come back. I just absolutely loathe being actively ignored. My brother does it all the fucking time and it gets on my nerves. Just, please remember that, because other people might not like it as well. This isn't a community where things are being posted constantly like social websites. Each post holds someone's opinion or input on each particular thread, and you NEED to pay attention to them. Or else you're going to miss something important and start posting random crap that hardly pertains to the topic!
No tl;dr here. Read it dammit.

Renhoek:
Some things were said about you earlier, and for the most part I agree with them, however I was not here during your first moments on SYS. So all I can say is you're a good person, and luck to you and your future endeavors.

Bonko:
I love your name. Why? Don't ask please. Just the little kid in me that wants to say it all the time when I see it. Great poster, in the GSYS mod so Idiot saw good things in you so yeah :P

Assassin-Kiashi:
An artist worthy of the title "Badass". Badass Assassin-Kiashi. Hell yeah. I've browsed your deviations, and all are exemplary, but as an artist myself, I know that you know that I know there's always room for improvement. To become "The Greatest" Isn't enough. Shoot farther than the moon, because that's a limit. Also I still absolutely despise myself for using a condition you have as an insult. I'm so insensitive...

Mr.Q.Marx?:
Sometimes I think you're an enigma. That your existence is omnipresent, but benevolent and encouraging in mannerism. Like Maurice! You're a great guy, in English :P

mari0bros2:
Why does your username sound like you were trying to advertise a new mod? You made it into GSYS, as the flying fireball if I remember correctly. So Idiot found something about you positive. Sorry, but I'm a little indifferent to you :/ So nothing positive or negative to say. I think you post compliments on mods a lot.

TripleXero:
Your submission to GSYS and your previous avatars remind me a lot about a guy who's really just... There. Kinda like how I was in school; smiling, but not really mingling with a lot of people. Sitting in the back and enjoying the show. Also got a feeling you may have tried football at some point. But, again, my feelings 90% of the time are wrong. For attempting to mod an original SMB from Mari0, you've got props. You're well on your way to being another badass in the field of coding here on SYS.

Automatik:
You seem a bit of an older poster here. Around the 20-25 range. You have English as a second language, so I've always wondered. What's your primary language? Another coder, and a good one too. I think something you made inspired something from me as well... Hard to place, gonna have to dig up the older topics in Mari0, I remember it was there.

mindnomad:
Indifference. Sorry, but you made it into GSYS, probably because that lil' guy you have there is like... Perfect for the star.

LightningFire:
 /)*(\  From what I've gathered, you got off on a rocky start. Somebody said you didn't stop posting ponies? Or was that someone else? Am I crazy? But around the time I joined you seemed to be better. I'unno. Truth is, when I signed up, I actually forgot about this place for like a week, remembered, then came back and started reading topics and stuff. I tapered off a bit until I finally decided to post. The community mod enabled my activity, and I didn't say anything till I had something to contribu-
I'm sorry, we're criticizing you in this part. You were the first aaaaa I saw here, at which point my attention was directed to the "Ponies" thread. Soooo, thanks for letting me know that there's next to no haters here :P.

Turtle95:
Thank you. You're a cool guy, and I'm still immensely grateful for the character selector. I began getting a feel for LOVE's API because of your code. Before, all I really knew how to do in terms of coding was changing variables in GMod's lua files. What you've made helped me get a better idea of what LOVE can do, and in succession, more of what lua can do. (I tried "How to Code in Lua", but pppt... It was immensely boring.) So, you're helpful, and you make cool things :P

rokit boy:
Ignoring what I just saw in "Chat Room", all I got from you is a guy who likes to code, and has a large indifference himself to most of everything else in SYS. Buuuuut, yeah. First impressions .-.. You've got golden ideas. But like Camewel; commit to them.

TheJonyMyster:
Well, I mentioned something about you earlier. That was that you've also had a rocky start, but have improved over time. But that's for the others to say, otherwise, you can be funny at times, and you like to give advice on some things :P

Mari0Maker:
I'm having a hard time trying to think of ANYTHING about you, except of course the GSYS mod. But something tells me you have good in you, and not just because of the mod.
Oh that's right, your first mappack I assume? I'm not gonna check but If I can scrounge up the memory, you got mixed reviews on it. Probably different from what I remember, but that's just me and my forgetful mind. So you entered with a mappack, not the best choice imho. So many people do it and a lot of them are put down for it, but I think you've managed to solidify your position here. Whatever you work on; keep working hard if you really want to.

Hans1998:
Here you go; Criticism. Patience is definitely key, even though yet again I'm being a god damn hypocrite because my patience runs short sometimes and without warning. Mkay, so you've made some pretty good mappacks, but I haven't tried them out myself. Too many to try, so little time. Also hung up on what I wanna work on :P. In quality of posts, I think you're nice and have things to say that are definitely contributing to other's work.

ShankYourself.net:
Change your name. For gods sake get Saso and give him your new name because your current one hurts my eyes.

TheSeek:
I'm seeking. You're an overall good person, and make awesome content. But where are you most of the time?

FlutterPie:
Fabled Perma-Ban survivor of old, a grizzled veteran of immaturity and solitude. That's all I got XD You haven't posted much since I've become active really.

Sašo:
I'm gonna stay on the safe side and leave this to the professionals while I go hide behind that tree over there.

aveond:
All I know about you is some awesome content, and helpful posts. Sooooo. Hi o3o.

Turret Opera:
Refer to "TheJonyMyster" Because I'm getting lazy and it's pretty much the same for you guys. Sorry to lump you in a corner, but There were just so many people to type things for.

Neosaneo5:
Who are you?

WillWare:
You've made some interesting things. I think I've tried something of yours, but the files are long gone by now. A good poster, a creative person. You're green! Even though you're blue... Agh.

ThunderFlipper:
~700 Posts since this edit. But I know absolutely jack shit about you. But I guess you're okay? Not sure.

hatninja:
WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE AND WHY ARE YO- Nevermind. I think I remember some good posts from you, sooooo... Yeh. Good .3.
My name IS an eyesore, 'eh? I wonder if Sašo would change it for me.

HAPPYFACES
Posts: 521
Joined: 02 Jun 2012, 03:40

Post » 29 May 2013, 08:36

It comes off as a sad Japanese rip-off of Stabyourself. Like the PolyStation to PlayStation. Sorry, just my opinion.

User avatar
Shank
Posts: 225
Joined: 24 Feb 2013, 04:17

Post » 29 May 2013, 08:57

I'm Mongolian, close enough? I bought a PolyStation and gave it to some poor kids.

HAPPYFACES
Posts: 521
Joined: 02 Jun 2012, 03:40

Post » 29 May 2013, 09:02

You see this palm? It's going to go straight to my face.
Of course you don't.
So let me give you the closest visual representation I can of it
*Palm to the face*

Look, I'm sorry I'm a little nitpicky, okay? Just... Why would you make that name in the first place?

User avatar
Shank
Posts: 225
Joined: 24 Feb 2013, 04:17

Post » 29 May 2013, 09:12

Don't worry about saying sorry, I don't really think before acting.

HAPPYFACES
Posts: 521
Joined: 02 Jun 2012, 03:40

Post » 29 May 2013, 09:18

Oh my. You're going to need to work on that then.
Anyways, yes the name is an eyesore to me. Mainly because of the "First Impression" thing. It was like you were mocking SYS with the least bit of sarcasm possible.

User avatar
HansAgain
Posts: 1099
Joined: 03 Feb 2012, 18:51

Post » 29 May 2013, 22:33

Thanks for the criticism. I really enjoyed reading it.
it's the only thing that occurred to me to write

User avatar
Costinteo
Posts: 701
Joined: 09 Mar 2013, 17:49

Post » 29 May 2013, 22:40

Sorry for not replying...
I was surprised that nobody thinks anything bad about me. For some reason I thought you guys considered me somekind of spammer (or random posts guy) :(
This is a huge relief. :D

Thanks a lot!

User avatar
Shank
Posts: 225
Joined: 24 Feb 2013, 04:17

Post » 30 May 2013, 02:24

HAPPYFACES wrote:Oh my. You're going to need to work on that then.
Anyways, yes the name is an eyesore to me. Mainly because of the "First Impression" thing. It was like you were mocking SYS with the least bit of sarcasm possible.
Wait, what first impression thing? Is it a post that I screwed up or is it just your first impression of me.

Camewel
Posts: 2996
Joined: 02 Feb 2012, 21:32

Post » 30 May 2013, 02:33

Your name gives you a bad first impression. People see a name like that and instantly distrust it. You're a better guy than that impression, so you might want to ask the Sašonator to change your name.

User avatar
HansAgain
Posts: 1099
Joined: 03 Feb 2012, 18:51

Post » 30 May 2013, 02:39

Camewel wrote:Your name gives you a bad first impression. People see a name like that and instantly distrust it. You're a better guy than that impression, so you might want to ask the Sašonator to change your name.
What does "shank" mean?, i searched it and all i found was this:
Image

Google Translator only say that is something like stem, and since it's not a verb, i can't see the bad image that it gives him.
Last edited by HansAgain on 30 May 2013, 02:56, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Qcode
Posts: 1470
Joined: 05 Feb 2012, 18:00

Post » 30 May 2013, 02:40

It's a homemade knife.

User avatar
HansAgain
Posts: 1099
Joined: 03 Feb 2012, 18:51

Post » 30 May 2013, 03:00

Qcode wrote:It's a homemade knife.
Sooo....
since it's not a verb he looks like a stupid,
ooor...
looks like he is desesperate to stab himself and looks like a psicho.
If those aren't the reasons, i don't know.

Camewel
Posts: 2996
Joined: 02 Feb 2012, 21:32

Post » 30 May 2013, 03:03

It's a bad impression because it's a bad parody of stabyourself.net
It means people see his name and instantly think "oh bad jokes guy here".

User avatar
Shadowlord
Posts: 268
Joined: 30 Nov 2012, 20:15

Post » 30 May 2013, 03:36

I would like to criticize
WaryLouka
for killing the shame chamber. I used to get a good laugh out of it. No more >_<