[CLOSED] Why are signatures diabled?

If it doesn't fit elsewhere, it should go here
JamesTheAwesomeDude

Post » 12 Dec 2012, 02:37

THREAD MOVED HERE.

Why are signatures disabled? I heard that it's because they "add nothing and clog up the page," but there's an option in the user control panel to disable seeing them. Nobody's forcing you to view signatures.

I think that the decision to view signatures should be up to the user, and not imposed by a small group of moderators. If a user feels that signatures are worthless, and DO clog up the page, then he can turn them off. Hiding them for everybody is not the way to handle it.

I wouldn't be too frustrated about this, but I made a pretty good signature for my project, and would really like it to be displayed. :(

EDIT: Hooray! They're back in!
There is an image size limit, but people (like me) who had already set up a banner signature were grandfathered in. :}
Last edited by JamesTheAwesomeDude on 12 Dec 2012, 19:06, edited 2 times in total.

BobTheLawyer

Post » 12 Dec 2012, 02:56

If someone clicks on your username, they can see it.

Saso already stated his opinion.
It isn't going to happen.

Camewel

Post » 12 Dec 2012, 03:03

It's also for guests who come to the site, and new users. They don't want signatures thrown into their faces. Also, with most of the main members being against signatures, no-one would be checking their content and all sorts on unmoderated nonsense would go on in there.

BobTheLawyer

Post » 12 Dec 2012, 03:05

I do see TheAwesomeDude's point though...
When new users come on the site and see a version of the game for the os they are on in someone's post, it makes it easier for them.

Camewel

Post » 12 Dec 2012, 03:12

Easier for them? Easier for them to what?

BobTheLawyer

Post » 12 Dec 2012, 03:14

Well, if I was looking to play Mari0 in my OS, and I walked on and saw a very talkative member wearing the banner to advertise playability of my OS, it would have been quicker than finding it alone.

JamesTheAwesomeDude

Post » 12 Dec 2012, 03:16

BobTheLawyer wrote:Well, if I was looking to play Mari0 in my OS, and I walked on and saw a very talkative member wearing the banner to advertise playability of my OS, it would have been quicker than finding it alone.
Yeah, people in that situation are actually the main reason I created the banner.

BobTheLawyer

Post » 12 Dec 2012, 03:20

... What other situation would there be to have that banner?

JamesTheAwesomeDude

Post » 12 Dec 2012, 03:22

Camewel wrote:It's also for guests who come to the site, and new users. They don't want signatures thrown into their faces. Also, with most of the main members being against signatures, no-one would be checking their content and all sorts on unmoderated nonsense would go on in there.
Well, you should at least be able to enable it via your user CP.
If I go to my control panel, and explicitly enable signature display, I don't want them to be forcibly blocked, just because a few influential users decided that they don't want to see them.

As for the new/unregistered/potential users, you could always just make them a members-only thing.

JamesTheAwesomeDude

Post » 12 Dec 2012, 03:23

BobTheLawyer wrote:... What other situation would there be to have that banner?
Not everybody that sees the banner will visit, but for everybody that sees it, there's always the possibility of word-of-mouth spread...

LightningFire

Post » 12 Dec 2012, 03:48

JamesTheAwesomeDude wrote:Why are signatures disabled? I heard that it's because they "add nothing and clog up the page," but there's an option in the user control panel to disable seeing them. Nobody's forcing you to view signatures.

I think that the decision to view signatures should be up to the user, and not imposed by a small group of moderators. If a user feels that signatures are worthless, and DO clog up the page, then he can turn them off. Hiding them for everybody is not the way to handle it.
I actually agree with this. And guests should just not be able to see signatures.

Camewel

Post » 12 Dec 2012, 04:00

JamesTheAwesomeDude wrote:
Camewel wrote:It's also for guests who come to the site, and new users. They don't want signatures thrown into their faces. Also, with most of the main members being against signatures, no-one would be checking their content and all sorts on unmoderated nonsense would go on in there.
If I go to my control panel, and explicitly enable signature display, I don't want them to be forcibly blocked, just because a few influential users decided that they don't want to see them.

As for the new/unregistered/potential users, you could always just make them a members-only thing.
Address the point you can, ignore the one you can't. Lovely debating there.
JamesTheAwesomeDude wrote:a few influential users
Saso makes every single decision. This one he made on his own with no influences.

JamesTheAwesomeDude

Post » 12 Dec 2012, 04:32

Camewel wrote:
JamesTheAwesomeDude wrote:

Address the point you can, ignore the one you can't. Lovely debating there.
What issue did I ignore?
Camewel wrote:
JamesTheAwesomeDude wrote:a few influential users
Saso makes every single decision. This one he made on his own with no influences.
Lol, that's even worse. :P

renhoek

Post » 12 Dec 2012, 09:56

I really want to see the exact same text I saw in the last post every time I see the user post.

EDIT: I am disappoint...
Last edited by renhoek on 12 Dec 2012, 13:31, edited 1 time in total.

Sašo
Stabyourself.net

Post » 12 Dec 2012, 11:37

I reenabled signatures. Temporarily. The board should tell you the dimension limitations. I may completely disable images in them so don't get too used to those.

Maurice
Stabyourself.net

Post » 12 Dec 2012, 11:41

test

JamesTheAwesomeDude

Post » 12 Dec 2012, 17:54

xXxrenhoekxXx wrote:I really want to see the exact same text I saw in the last post every time I see the user post.

EDIT: I am disappoint...
If you don't like signatures, click this, set "Display signatures" to "No," then click "Submit."

JamesTheAwesomeDude

Post » 12 Dec 2012, 18:57

Hey... this is kind of funny:

Except for xXxrenhoekxXx, the only people posting in this thread are:
* Me
* People with Pony avatars
* Moderators

Anyway, I just thought this was kind of interesting...

rokit

Post » 12 Dec 2012, 19:03

JamesTheAwesomeDude wrote:Hey... this is kind of funny:

Except for xXxrenhoekxXx, the only people posting in this thread are:
* Me
* People with Pony avatars
* Moderators

Anyway, I just thought this was kind of interesting...
Camewel and RWLabs haven't got pony avatars.

Sašo
Stabyourself.net

Post » 12 Dec 2012, 19:21

I'll take the liberty of manually minimally editing signatures that don't comply to the new rules. At least for as long as they're active.

Franpa

Post » 12 Dec 2012, 21:26

Sašo wrote:I reenabled signatures. Temporarily. The board should tell you the dimension limitations. I may completely disable images in them so don't get too used to those.
Go for it, and a limit on the number of lines of text allowed, if possible. Hate eye catching signatures and vertically tall signatures.

TheJonyMyster

Post » 16 Dec 2012, 09:19

Did Sašo turn them off already? None show up!