Death note

If it doesn't fit elsewhere, it should go here
popcan12

Post » 01 Aug 2012, 02:57

Death note is about Light Yagami who get's killed by his own shinigami  and his friend. Light and his shinigami Ryuk , well, just Light kill a bunch of criminals in the hope of a new world.
Here's the basic image:

Does anyone else watch death note?  Who's your favourite Character, mine's L. 

LightningFire

Post » 01 Aug 2012, 03:30

I've seen a few episodes. It's boring. Also, why does everyone like L so much?

Sakura1221

Post » 01 Aug 2012, 03:37

Like 2 or 3 times...
My favorita character is also L! Love the way he etas sweets all the time and the way he eats :D
And LF has seen it because I'm always begging him to watch it.

popcan12

Post » 01 Aug 2012, 03:38

Because he's like the most intelligent person on the show. Plus, he's funny too.

TheSeek

Post » 01 Aug 2012, 04:41

popcan12 wrote:Death note is about Light Yagami who get's killed by his own shinigami  and his friend. Light and his shinigami Ryuk , well, just Light kill a bunch of criminals in the hope of a new world.
[/sp]
wow, such a short and misleading description...
anyway, i whatched it 2 times, and loved it, it goes far beyond the typical shōnen manga/anime with the usual fight between good and evil with a hero always fighting for his world and nice causes. It shows and faces a big doubt about what is actually right or wrong, about who should survive with his own ideals, yet including funny moments and characters like a good shōnen should do.
I think it gets a bit less interesting after  L's death , cuz Near and Mello, basically being the 2 parts of L's personality, are too extreme in their actions and personalities, making the whole thing unbalanced and foregone... L balanced every aspect of the anime. 
fav char: L, cuz he  understood Light was Kira basically right ater they met for the first time, but kept on investigating showing he was intrigued by the "fight" agains Light to see what moves Light would do and who will win more than he wanted justice, and considerating L always want justice above all, it makes the whole thing interesting. 

...i wrote too much....

RWLabs

Post » 01 Aug 2012, 04:46

I never watched the show and didn't understand anything you said in the first post. I don't know what any of the Japanese words mean and I don't know why some parent named his kid after an alphabet. The title of the video link that you gave me makes me suspect that it's hentai, though. (Sorry, I'm paranoid about hentais after running into one that pretty much raped my sanity.)

thunderfapper

Post » 01 Aug 2012, 04:48

My favorite character is also L, He didn't deserve to  DIE .
But the series is awesome and I love it, Have all the books, including 13.

popcan12

Post » 01 Aug 2012, 04:50

It's not Hentai goddamnit! They never get nude, and they kill bunch of people! If you want proof it's not hentai, watch the Relight:

RWLabs

Post » 01 Aug 2012, 04:55

Yes, because I'd watch a video that I suspect is hentai to confirm that it's not hentai.

TheSeek

Post » 01 Aug 2012, 05:34

RWLabs wrote:and I don't know why some parent named his kid after an alphabet.
LOL
actually his real name is not L, it's Eru(エル), but the english transcription for エル is El, so since its pronunciation is the same as the L letter, he's called L.
RWLabs wrote:The title of the video link that you gave me makes me suspect that it's hentai, though. (Sorry, I'm paranoid about hentais after running into one that pretty much raped my sanity.)
RWLabs wrote:Yes, because I'd watch a video that I suspect is hentai to confirm that it's not hentai.
Think about this: in my country it was aired 3 times, 1st time at 9pm(prime time), 2nd and 3rd time at 3:30pm...you think they'd transmit an hentai right in the prime time and in the middle of the day so kids could watch it?
Also, its a shōnen(Dragon Ball, Naruto, Hokuto no Ken, Slam Dunk...they're all shōnen), and if you want a real yet brief description of it...a guy find a note, on the first page there is a rule list, the first rule says "The human whose name is written in this note shall die"...let the slaughter begin.

popcan12

Post » 01 Aug 2012, 17:37

Well, if you want to go on by facts, his real name is actually  L Lawliet .

samkostka

Post » 01 Aug 2012, 18:45

Death Note is pretty good. I like Gurren Lagann better though.

popcan12

Post » 01 Aug 2012, 19:03

Gurren Lagann, does that have  Killing  too?

TheSeek

Post » 01 Aug 2012, 19:31

popcan12 wrote:Well, if you want to go on by facts, his real name is actually  L Lawliet .
wanna fight about it? ok, let's fight...lol
Everything about his name depends on what name you want to consider...if you consider him as a person and his name as in his original English name(since L is born in London), then yes, his name is  L Lawliet .
But if you consider him as a charachter in a manga and on a larger view which include the japanese pronounciation of english words, and the fact that a japanese manga charachter is considered japanese even if his person in the story comes from another country, then the thing is a bit more complicated...
Death Note is a Japanese manga/anime, therefore the original names are japanese.
The original name of L is  "ローライト エル"  and it reads  Rōraito Eru .
Japanese people can't pronounce the letter R in a proper way and they pronounce it like the letter L, and to add more, many japanese words, especially the ones that forms names, lose the last letter in the pronunciation if it is a vowel, so  Rōraito Eru  it's actually pronounced  Lōlait El . To reinforce this thesis, the translation of his last name( ローライト/Rōraito ) is " Low-Light ", and  "Rōraito"  and " Low-Light " have the same pronounciation in japanese(just to mention, Light Yagami japanese name is ライト/Raito, same writing and pronounciation of the 2nd part of L last name, which reinforce even more the " Low-Light " thesis).
This can be reduced in " Lawlite " to be his english last name cuz of its similarity with the word  ローライト/Rōraito , and the same argument can be applied to his 1st name: his original japanese name is  エル/Eru , it reads  El , so its english derivated name(cuz of the sound similarity) is  L .
So, to sum it up,  L Lawliet  is his english name, derivated from the japanese pronounciation of his original name,  Lōlait El , so his real 1st name is  El , not  L .

P.S.: the whole thing about his name being a single letter is, of course, something connected to the Wammy's House habit to give single letters nicknames to their orphans...Mello being M, Near being N, the guy that  committed suicide  being A, and  Beyond Birthday being B 

FaycalMenouar

Post » 01 Aug 2012, 20:05

i'm 21 , and i would rather watch pokemon , i used to love manga and anime , like naruto , initial D now i t's like a i lost the " apetite"

samkostka

Post » 01 Aug 2012, 21:09

No, Gurren Lagann is about a boy who finds a mecha, and using it along with other mechas his teammates have stolen to rid the world of beastmen and the Spiral King, who has been forcing humans to live underground.

popcan12

Post » 01 Aug 2012, 22:43

Desert Punk is another anime you guys should watch

thunderfapper

Post » 09 Jul 2013, 18:28

And Black Cat is good!
I also I like L because some people, including me, think I look like him.

popcan12

Post » 09 Jul 2013, 18:32

wanna fight about it? ok, let's fight...lol
Everything about his name depends on what name you want to consider...if you consider him as a person and his name as in his original English name(since L is born in London), then yes, his name is L Lawliet .
But if you consider him as a charachter in a manga and on a larger view which include the japanese pronounciation of english words, and the fact that a japanese manga charachter is considered japanese even if his person in the story comes from another country, then the thing is a bit more complicated...
Death Note is a Japanese manga/anime, therefore the original names are japanese.
The original name of L is "ローライト エル" and it reads Rōraito Eru .
Japanese people can't pronounce the letter R in a proper way and they pronounce it like the letter L, and to add more, many japanese words, especially the ones that forms names, lose the last letter in the pronunciation if it is a vowel, so Rōraito Eru it's actually pronounced Lōlait El . To reinforce this thesis, the translation of his last name( ローライト/Rōraito ) is " Low-Light ", and "Rōraito" and " Low-Light " have the same pronounciation in japanese(just to mention, Light Yagami japanese name is ライト/Raito, same writing and pronounciation of the 2nd part of L last name, which reinforce even more the " Low-Light " thesis).
This can be reduced in " Lawlite " to be his english last name cuz of its similarity with the word ローライト/Rōraito , and the same argument can be applied to his 1st name: his original japanese name is エル/Eru , it reads El , so its english derivated name(cuz of the sound similarity) is L .
So, to sum it up, L Lawliet is his english name, derivated from the japanese pronounciation of his original name, Lōlait El , so his real 1st name is El , not L .

P.S.: the whole thing about his name being a single letter is, of course, something connected to the Wammy's House habit to give single letters nicknames to their orphans...Mello being M, Near being N, the guy that committed suicide being A, and Beyond Birthday being B 
Techincally TheSeeker, it says his name is  L Lawiet in the how to read.

TheSeek

Post » 09 Jul 2013, 21:25

popcan12 wrote: Techincally TheSeek, it says his name is  L Lawiet in the how to read.
I never said it wasnt.
Probably my explanation didnt convey what i actually meant:  L Lawliet  it's his name and no one's doubting that, but...why is he called like that(especially since both the name and the surname doesnt actually exist in English)? My explanation is about that, the origin of his name, the real meaning of it.
If you know Dragon Ball Z i can give an example of what i mean: the charachter Broly is called like that cuz Akira Toriyama named all the Saiyans after vegetables making puns of them, in this case Broccoli became Broly(ブロリー/Burorī). In the manga/anime his name is Broly, and not Broccoli.
 El Lōlait(with the meaning of "Low-Light", in contrast with "Light" Yagami  =  L Lawliet  in the same way as Broccoli = Broly.

Shadowlord

Post » 10 Jul 2013, 00:09

popcan12 wrote:It's not Hentai goddamnit! They never get nude, and they kill bunch of people! If you want proof it's not hentai, watch the Relight:
youtube wrote:"Death Note Relight - Vision..." This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by 株式会社バップ.
Did anyone else notice this?!?!?

B-Man99

Post » 30 Sep 2014, 02:54

Because there haven't been enough threads revived already

I just finished the last episode, and man was Death note an amazing experience. Overall I loved the series. It was enjoyable, complex, and unique... you can tell it was well made too. The whole psychological mind battle thing is such an interesting theme to surround the idea with. I'm a bit overwhelmed by the ending at the moment... it's like my thoughts still can't take everything in now that it's all over. Quite the resonating effect.