I need an opinion on a 3D pony model..

If it doesn't fit elsewhere, it should go here
Jorichi

Post » 11 May 2012, 20:49

Derpy is my practice model. I learned how to use the program while making her. I will, after this one is finished, switch back to Derpy and the base models. However, I'm going to redo them (for the biggest part) to get them to look like more like the show. I will also go as far as implementing 'Bones and Muscles' for animation purposes (not that I'm going to animate them, I just want to learn that. But while I'm at it I might as well try). But, I can't promise anything, sadly.

Jorichi

Post » 24 May 2012, 01:46

This was an experiment with textures.

I did some fixes to the polygons before doing so:
- I've given them both hair and a tail.
- I've changed Amy's position to a more dynamic one.

But it's still far from done:
The polygons still need a lot of tweaks here and there, mostly the hair and tail of both ponies. However, the holographic texture of Amy is probably there to stay after some minor fixes. I need to figure out a different color for Virtual Reality himself, blue just doesn't do it for me (suggestions are appreciated), a different color of hair locks is something I want to keep though (most likely different from what I did in the picture). Then there are the eye textures and the cutie mark of Virtual Reality (not so sure if I will actually need one for Amy) left to add.
Background stuff and such are also going to be added, after the ponies themselves are done ofcourse.

I'll get there... Eventually...

LightningFire

Post » 24 May 2012, 02:57

Lol, lyra. Also, I like how amy looks right now. Great job!

Jorichi

Post » 24 May 2012, 13:54

I think Colgate is the one that looks like him:
Left is Lyra. Right is Colgate (or however she's really called).
Still not sure to what color to recolor him though...

Jorichi

Post » 28 May 2012, 13:34

Ugh, I can keep excusing myself for double posting...
Anyways, here are the eyes for Virtual Reality:
(They will eventually get more shine and everything)

The color palette for Virtual is probably there to stay, it has some holographic/technical look.
I guess there isn't much left to do on the pony models themselves. His Cutie mark needs to get added, as well as Amy's eyes (she won't get a cutie mark, she's a hologram).
That reminds me not to forget the nostrils... if that's necessary.

I just can't draw a decent cutie mark for Virtual Reality, I was aiming for a chip or something. I'll try that again later today.
After that's done I will try out some nice textures for VR's hair and what not.
And that's basically it for the ponies themselves, I think.

Beyond that there's the scenery, lighting and rendering left to be done. I don't really have something in mind...
Opinions? Suggestions? Pointers? Go nuts.

LightningFire

Post » 28 May 2012, 23:38

That mane color does not fit him. I don't know what other color would, though.

RWLabs

Post » 29 May 2012, 00:07

Wait- this program is... Blender?

Jorichi

Post » 29 May 2012, 01:07

LightningFire wrote:That mane color does not fit him. I don't know what other color would, though.
I've been experimenting for quite a while with his colors. I really don't know what to use XD. I might need to give it some more time.
RWLabs wrote:Wait- this program is... Blender?
Nope, Autodesk Maya 2011, with several plugins.

LightningFire

Post » 17 Jun 2012, 19:28

So, any updates lately? I'm really interested to know what happens.

Jorichi

Post » 17 Jun 2012, 19:50

LightningFire wrote:So, any updates lately? I'm really interested to know what happens.
Well, quite a lot has happened actually. But nothing really significant to the model itself.

I've decided on the colour and the cutie mark (sort of) and applied them. I edited the objects a bit with different
materials and I added some simple lighting to the scene.

I've studied UV mapping and texturing a lot the past few days and it has proven to be quite difficult. For example, I added a cutie mark, but it won't render properly.
It looks good in default editing mode, but whenever I switch to High Quality or try to render the scene, it disappears and several small blurry dots appear here and there over the object-body. So these are some minor problems I have to fix first.

However I've continued on other things as well, so I could take my mind of off UV's now and then.

Like I have shown some people in the chatroom I've started to really 'study' the pony anatomy and proportions as they are done in the show.
Page 1 of Pony anatomy and porportions study.
I realized my ponies are quite far out of proportion (legs compared to rump, rump to head and head to legs), not to forget that the eyes don't cover at least 1/3rd of the side of the face. As I really want to nail it in the next model (which will be rigged and readied for animation), I'm gonna go all in on this.

I've been drawing a new mane and tail for Virtual Reality as well. I guess I could consider his default looks 'done'.
I'll post some sketches of him when they are presentable.

Kyle Prior

Post » 19 Jun 2012, 04:41

I'm looking forward to whatever you come up with. in my opinion, I can definitely say that this is one of the most awesome things ever.

samkostka

Post » 19 Jun 2012, 04:51

I agree, having been convinced to watch the show by the ponies thread, these models do the show justice. I will wait patiently for whatever results there are.
(I know these things take time, it takes me days to do things in photoshop, and that's 2d)

jasonw749

Post » 19 Jun 2012, 20:32

may i ask what plugins you have? i want to start some 3D modeling and i like the results of this program :)

Jorichi

Post » 19 Jun 2012, 20:53

NEX
StormV3
Roadkill
Maxwell Render
Glu3d

However, non of these were required to make what I have now. Besides most of these plugins are just convenient and not necessary.