Cat Mario

If it doesn't fit elsewhere, it should go here
Sandwich

Post » 10 Feb 2012, 06:59

http://www.pimpmynintendo.com/games/cat-mario/
You can download on this site. And it's not in English(the game). Good Luck.
This game is cruel.

Raicuparta

Post » 10 Feb 2012, 16:14

I remember this game, it's actually really fun. Kinda evil, but not nearly as much as games like I Wanna be The Guy, so it actually gives you a chance to have fun.

byrono

Post » 10 Feb 2012, 20:18

This game was like hell.

Pyrosaur

Post » 10 Feb 2012, 21:14

Is it actually possible to complete the first level?

tesselode

Post » 10 Feb 2012, 23:24

I remember this too. It's awesome. And hilarious.

Sandwich

Post » 11 Feb 2012, 03:25

Pyr0saur wrote:Is it actually possible to complete the first level?
Yes. There are 4 levels in total. If you somehow made it to the flag in the first level, you have to jump OVER the flag.

Twilight Sparkle

Post » 11 Feb 2012, 17:24

Oh, dongs.exe. That's a good game.

renhoek

Post » 26 Feb 2012, 15:00

I remember this I learnt more about game design and when I think about it

the design is terrible you should never build a game based on memorisation...
tell me is it really fun to do something like this
(guys a start point death points where you die)
-O
/-\
/-\--------------death point
----------------------------------------------

-O
/-\
/-\---------------------death point

-O
/-\
/-\------------------------------death point

-O
/-\
/-\------------------------------------------death point
------------------------------------------------------------------------

-O
/-\
/-\---------------------------------------------------------death point
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-O
/-\

-O
/-\

-O
/-\

-O
/-\

-O
/-\
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-O
/-\

-O
/-\

-O
/-\

-O
/-\

-O
/-\

also
If I recall there's a hack that replaces mario with boon (basically mario as a cat)
in a super mario world hack called V.I.P it's japanese and is hard...

Bonjour

Post » 26 Feb 2012, 15:01

I've seen this on a video.. got to try it now !

Raicuparta

Post » 26 Feb 2012, 15:33

xXxrenhoekxXx, this kind of game has a design that would normally be a terrible idea, but it's made on purpose. Many other games take this approach, punishing the players for something they couldn't possible predict, like (spoiler alert, I guess), the killer clouds or platforms that suddenly fall when you touch them. It's like a whole genre of punishing games, they are so hard that it's funny. The thing is, if this happened in, lets say, the original Super Mario Bros. once in the middle of the game, like if all of a sudden the floor collapses and you die, it would be a really bad thing. But games like this "Cat Mario" that revolve around the concept of deceiving the player actually make you start doubting everything you think you know about games.
I've seen a lot of flash games that do this well, but I think the most popular case is "I wanna be the guy", uses the same unpredictable traps but is much, much more frustrating. I don't know anyone that has ever finished it.

renhoek

Post » 26 Feb 2012, 15:48

Raicuparta wrote:xXxrenhoekxXx, this kind of game has a design that would normally be a terrible idea, but it's made on purpose. Many other games take this approach, punishing the players for something they couldn't possible predict, like (spoiler alert, I guess), the killer clouds or platforms that suddenly fall when you touch them. It's like a whole genre of punishing games, they are so hard that it's funny. The thing is, if this happened in, lets say, the original Super Mario Bros. once in the middle of the game, like if all of a sudden the floor collapses and you die, it would be a really bad thing. But games like this "Cat Mario" that revolve around the concept of deceiving the player actually make you start doubting everything you think you know about games.
I've seen a lot of flash games that do this well, but I think the most popular case is "I wanna be the guy", uses the same unpredictable traps but is much, much more frustrating. I don't know anyone that has ever finished it.
you're right I should have taken into consideration that it was the theme of the game and should not have taken it so seriously...

EDIT: sorry forgot I was meant to say I was talking about iwbtg EDIT2: from this point on EDIT3: got to stop EDIT4: rushing EDIT:5: .

I have a friend who beat it and he's not as big on games as I am...

also people have made fangames of iwbtg
like i wanna be the fangame
and the heart breaker of em all...

i wanna be the boshy
possibly the hard-

oh I'm sorry I'm going of track oh and don't let your curiosity get you
or else you'll end up like me!!!

Twilight Sparkle

Post » 27 Feb 2012, 23:20

Raicuparta wrote:xXxrenhoekxXx, this kind of game has a design that would normally be a terrible idea, but it's made on purpose. Many other games take this approach, punishing the players for something they couldn't possible predict, like (spoiler alert, I guess), the killer clouds or platforms that suddenly fall when you touch them. It's like a whole genre of punishing games, they are so hard that it's funny. The thing is, if this happened in, lets say, the original Super Mario Bros. once in the middle of the game, like if all of a sudden the floor collapses and you die, it would be a really bad thing. But games like this "Cat Mario" that revolve around the concept of deceiving the player actually make you start doubting everything you think you know about games.
I've seen at least one IWBTG Let's Play that completed it (and made it look ridiculously easy).

I'm kind of in the same boat, though, that memorization/guide dang it games aren't that fun to me (as they're a kind of artificial difficulty), although at some points they make pretty good puzzle games. For instance, I would consider SMB a difficult platformer that is actually pretty fun to play, whereas IWBTG and dongs.exe would be an exercise in frustration.

Camewel

Post » 27 Feb 2012, 23:35

The point of really hard games isn't to annoy you. It's an extreme challenge, that if you manage to beat, whatever that requires, feels like such a triumph.
By the way, when I first played any of these games, I always laughed at the random things that killed me. More fun that way.

Lexsym

Post » 27 Feb 2012, 23:59

Always make sure you get the star in the second level. First level clouds give you bonus points.

Twilight Sparkle

Post » 28 Feb 2012, 05:57

Camewel wrote:The point of really hard games isn't to annoy you. It's an extreme challenge, that if you manage to beat, whatever that requires, feels like such a triumph.
By the way, when I first played any of these games, I always laughed at the random things that killed me. More fun that way.
I don't find them challenging, just tedious. You can make a game that is hard without making random seemingly-harmless things kill you.

Pyrosaur

Post » 28 Feb 2012, 06:19

I can't get over the goddamn flag.

jktomas

Post » 28 Feb 2012, 14:36

How do you jump over the flag? I tried 27 times and it didn't work?

renhoek

Post » 28 Feb 2012, 14:37

I used to play this all the time and beat it every time... even made mods... oh and if you guys are having trouble jumping over the flag look up a walkthrough

oh and
pointless post is pointless
EDIT: OOOH that flag I thought you meant a checkpoint or something yah it's a bitch to jump over but all I can tell you is to run and jump just as you're about to fall... no strategy really just luck... oh and don't scroll the flag of screen else ya gonna have to commit suicide :3

Camewel

Post » 28 Feb 2012, 18:55

The flag is a pixel-perfect jump. It's not too hard, just twitch your timing until you get it.

jktomas

Post » 29 Feb 2012, 00:02

Camewel wrote:The flag is a pixel-perfect jump. It's not too hard, just twitch your timing until you get it.
Well, I gave up. It seemed pointless finishing the game anyway. Pointless like the life itself.........................

RWLabs

Post » 29 Feb 2012, 08:13

Beat this game pretty long ago...

Did you know there's a minus world for this too? Press (oh how ironic,) "0" at the main screen.

renhoek

Post » 29 Feb 2012, 11:23

RWLabs wrote:Did you know there's a minus world for this too? Press (oh how ironic,) "0" at the main screen.
wow sounds fun.
EDIT: gotta start paying attention to my spelling -_-

VeeeBoi

Post » 13 Apr 2013, 03:09

I played this game, it's really hard. Haha but a whole lot of fun :)
Link to my vid below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw-pXmqQSUE

HansAgain

Post » 13 Apr 2013, 03:23

VeeeBoi wrote:I played this game, it's really hard. Haha but a whole lot of fun :)
Link to my vid below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw-pXmqQSUE
Congrats, you bumped a one-year-old thread in your first post.

annarodR

Post » 05 Nov 2013, 09:27

OMG I pay this game almost 2 days and can't even complete the first level :@

TurretBot

Post » 06 Nov 2013, 03:47

Is this a thread about Super Mario 3D World's new powerup?

I LÖVE LUA

Post » 05 Mar 2014, 15:28

I finished that game.

Proof :