Fix the Remember Me keys

Stabyourself related discussion, announcements
Wary

Post » 04 Feb 2015, 03:07

(sorry for the white space, I can't use Pinta right now for proper cutting)
(also I don't give a shit that you see my IP address so don't point that out)
(yes it's a canadian IP address, still don't point that out)

So the board now uses Remember Me keys which helps with authentication methods.
However the website constantly switches between an IPv4 and and IPv6 connection which completely fucks up the point of using Remember Me (switching the connection methods essentially logs me out)

If it's possible, can we go back to the old cookie-based Remember Me method?

B-Man99

Post » 04 Feb 2015, 03:11

Weird. I don't have that issue.

Sašo
Stabyourself.net

Post » 04 Feb 2015, 11:37

Remember me does use cookies. How else would it distinguish from users even?
One thing that it does is check users by IP as well. However I won't be turning default security features down just because you have a corner case of switching IPs for whatever reason (which is entirely the fault on your end, not on the server).

B-Man99 wrote:Weird. I don't have that issue.
I would imagine it's because you don't even have IPv6 or or any sort of weird-ass address switching.

Wary

Post » 04 Feb 2015, 14:06

Sašo wrote:Remember me does use cookies. How else would it distinguish from users even?
One thing that it does is check users by IP as well. However I won't be turning default security features down just because you have a corner case of switching IPs for whatever reason (which is entirely the fault on your end, not on the server).

B-Man99 wrote:Weird. I don't have that issue.
I would imagine it's because you don't even have IPv6 or or any sort of weird-ass address switching.
I don't switch IPs.
My router (or ISP, whoever controls the IPv6 availability) allows IPv4 and IPv6 connections, and if a website supports IPv6 connections then my router, by default, will use IPv6. However, it seems that the forums/stys website "switches" between IPv4 and IPv6 connections for whatever reason.

Sašo
Stabyourself.net

Post » 04 Feb 2015, 16:56

DNS records are stored in the same place and if you request the IPv6 address, the server will return the IPv6 address, and you will use the IPv6 address.

The router doesn't decide if it uses IPv6, the computer does. For the router IPv4 and IPv6 are more or less completely different connections.

You either lose IPv6 connectivity at the start of the session meaning you never use the DNS record associated with IPv6 or your computer just decides not to use it. Or due to faster response time it sometimes gets IPv6 records first and then it uses that.

But it is not a problem with the forum since the records don't change and both connections are always either online or offline at the same time.

Wary

Post » 05 Feb 2015, 00:15

Alright, thanks anyway.
This won't ever get fixed, I think.