Random questions I have for staff

Stabyourself related discussion, announcements
aerhx

Post » 23 Apr 2012, 02:54

1. Why did you decide on the name "Stabyourself"? I'm curious to know. It's just a weird name, random name for a gaming "company" imo. And I use company very lightly
2. How did Maurice and Saso meet. ga...nothing
3. I believe both of you are still students, what do you want to major in, game design/web design/ect?

Sašo
Stabyourself.net

Post » 23 Apr 2012, 07:51

1) I registered the domain as a joke so it could be used with names (i.e. aerhx.stabyourself.net) so it would be INCREDIBLY FUNNY. But I never got around to doing it and at the time we were deciding about the name, the domain was week (or so?) old. We just decided to use it for that since we couldn't think of a better name (which happens a lot). We actually got an email a few days back from a father asking us to change the name. Since changing the name you're known by and is very memorable is a bad idea, that won't happen.

2) In 2009 on Facepunch studios, Gold members had a christmas card exchange - I became a Gold member due to a change which made members that were there longer than 4 years automatically gold. I decided to do something different and send over 60 of them (which were more like business letters since it was pure black text on white paper), each containing a code (same for all) that would need to be solved.To make things a bit more interesting, I also offered prizes in form of Steam games. Maurice was the first to solve it after a day or two. It took about 2 weeks (not sure about that, I'll check) before someone else solved it. We've been talking since and we've met in person for 2010 Gamescom (he invited me and then I said okay and then I drove 1000km).
And yes, the stamps and prizes ended up being a lot of money, but considering the outcome, I don't regret it one bit.

3) I have no clue. The situation for me is a bit more complicated though. Currently my highest education is wood technician (family business) and I'm in a 2. year Informatics vocational school, which is extremely broad and doesn't focus on games at all. Not that I develop them much personally.

This is also the reason why I'm the one that replies to emails.

RWLabs

Post » 24 Apr 2012, 08:16

Well, since this thread is started, I may as well ask something too...

Why do you have a worm from "Worms World Party" as your avatar?

Sašo
Stabyourself.net

Post » 24 Apr 2012, 11:03

I played WWP a lot 10 or so years back. I took the image from wwp.team17.com in November 2003 and have been using it since. I like to keep things consistent.

And speaking of consistency, I generally use the nickname Murkrow or Murk (started using short form at some point), which I chose even longer ago. As you might imagine it's also related to my interests back in the days of 56k internet connection.

trosh

Post » 06 May 2012, 11:03

so ... how old are you Sašo ? and have you worked on projects similar to stabyourself.net in the past ?

Camewel

Post » 06 May 2012, 12:01

Saso is 20. It says that in his profile.

Sašo
Stabyourself.net

Post » 06 May 2012, 12:12

trosh wrote:so ... how old are you Sašo ? and have you worked on projects similar to stabyourself.net in the past ?
I did run a fairly popular (I think it had about as much active people as this one) forum about 8 years ago, but other than that, no. I'm pretty fucking terrible at getting shit done as you can clearly see.