Pacman DX Championship Edition Maps?

synchron

Post » 13 Jan 2013, 04:33

is it possible to have the maps from DX CE made for Not pacman? those are challenging maps so more pellet action :D

Automatik

Post » 13 Jan 2013, 12:55

No since, unlike mari0, there is currently no way to have custom maps in not pacman.

Mr.Q.Marx?

Post » 14 Jan 2013, 17:34

I'm going to go ahead and say it IS possible. First you need to download the source code. Change the mapsize and warp points. Then change the map. It's alot harder than in mari0 and you can only have one map but you can do it if you feel like all the mods are worth it.

RabidJellyfish

Post » 16 Jan 2013, 08:39

Mr.Q.Marx? wrote:I'm going to go ahead and say it IS possible. First you need to download the source code. Change the mapsize and warp points. Then change the map. It's alot harder than in mari0 and you can only have one map but you can do it if you feel like all the mods are worth it.
I feel like it'd be possible for someone on these forums with enough programming experience to throw together a map editor. Maybe if you unzipped the code and had a program that could read and write directly to the lua files. Maybe a GUI where you could load in an image (draw the walls in paint or something) and draw in the collision boxes, pellets, and other objects on top of the image. Then it would take the positions of all the things you made and rewrite it into the code.

It seems simple enough. A little time consuming, but simple enough.

Hm, maybe this'll be a little project for me before I go back to school. Although I could use some help, since I don't really know lua.

Superjustinbros

Post » 16 Jan 2013, 14:41

If maybe I could help, I can donate map tiles. I did a load of custom/edited Pac-Man stuff (including putting together some rater unknown Pac-Man mazes) a while back; I can share it if anyone's interested.

Automatik

Post » 16 Jan 2013, 14:48

RabidJellyfish wrote:I feel like it'd be possible for someone on these forums with enough programming experience to throw together a map editor. Maybe if you unzipped the code and had a program that could read and write directly to the lua files. Maybe a GUI where you could load in an image (draw the walls in paint or something) and draw in the collision boxes, pellets, and other objects on top of the image. Then it would take the positions of all the things you made and rewrite it into the code.
Funny, but I'm currently doing a level editor, which save levels as json files, draw automatically the collision boxes (so that you don't need to provide an image), support pellets (even out of the level area!), start point of pacman and of the ghosts.

Legend_of_Kirby

Post » 16 Jan 2013, 15:17

LEVEL EDITOR? Yippee! More Stuff for the forums!

Superjustinbros

Post » 17 Jan 2013, 03:53

So Automatik, how exactly does this level editor work? Is it an external application or something that works within Not Pac-Man?
Anyways I may finally have use for this after all:
http://i.imgur.com/C8Vht.png
Linked because it's a mighty big image.

Bonko

Post » 17 Jan 2013, 04:11

Whoa, where'd ya get all that?
Also, if Automatik suceeds, mappacks and tilesets would be made. Yay!

Automatik

Post » 17 Jan 2013, 20:12

Superjustinbros wrote:So Automatik, how exactly does this level editor work? Is it an external application or something that works within Not Pac-Man?
Within Not Pacman.
The main menu now have "classic", "custom level", "editor" and "options" .
The code of the "classic" mode is still there (normal.lua), but I copypasted that file into a "custom.lua", and made the appropriate changes.
When using "custom level" you have a list of the levels contained in a maps/ folder. When using "editor", well...
Superjustinbros wrote: Anyways I may finally have use for this after all:
http://i.imgur.com/C8Vht.png
That made me think, I need to implement custom wall & pellets colors.
Bonko wrote:Also, if Automatik suceeds, mappacks and tilesets would be made. Yay!
Nope.
- There is no "mappacks" support currently, only individual maps.
- It's not using a tile system. You make rectangles, and the game display it fancily.

kevansevans

Post » 17 Jan 2013, 20:41

@Automatik

Quick question. Will these custom maps be have any form of limit? IE, you're bound to a certain maze size, or number of boxes.

Also, quick suggestion, a symmetry setting. Where you draw a box, and it will draw it symmetrically on the other side to make things look nice and perfect. Along with that, an X/Y axis toggle. I ask for this because all the maze's I've see have never been symmetric on just the X axis, it's either Y alone, or X and Y.

Automatik

Post » 17 Jan 2013, 20:50

-No, It's unlimited.
-Why not.

BobTheLawyer

Post » 17 Jan 2013, 21:52

Would it be easy to mod the graphics of the maps?

If it would require it's own game anyways...

Automatik

Post » 18 Jan 2013, 16:48

No, it don't require it's own game.
And no, because it don't use a .png to draw the level. But I will permit custom walls color.

RabidJellyfish

Post » 18 Jan 2013, 18:31

Automatik wrote:No, it don't require it's own game.
And no, because it don't use a .png to draw the level. But I will permit custom walls color.
Something you may want to think about is how the high score table is going to handle multiple levels. I noticed when I played the x8 mod that even though it was a mod, my high scores were all carried over from the original game. Maybe you'll want to add high score tables for custom levels.

Camewel

Post » 18 Jan 2013, 18:45

RabidJellyfish wrote:
Something you may want to think about is how the high score table is going to handle multiple levels. I noticed when I played the x8 mod that even though it was a mod, my high scores were all carried over from the original game. Maybe you'll want to add high score tables for custom levels.
That was just SJB being too lazy to change the save location of the game.

Superjustinbros

Post » 18 Jan 2013, 21:17

Camewel wrote:
RabidJellyfish wrote:
That was just SJB being too lazy to change the save location of the game.
...Or maybe because I know nothing about programing? I just used Bob's mod as a template and just replaced every instance of a 4 I found that was a 3 in vanilla NPM with an 8, and added on four extra slots to what image files are used so the game read the sprites of the four ghosts. Besides, Bob's Four-Ghost mod didn't change where or how the high-scores were changed, and that was in particular the mod I used to get the scores you saw on Bonko's high score thread.

Qcode

Post » 19 Jan 2013, 05:33

Last edited by Qcode on 21 Oct 2021, 09:03, edited 1 time in total.

Automatik

Post » 19 Jan 2013, 11:37

He can also go to main.lua and change every "highscoreA" (with the quotation marks) to "highscoreB" .

Code: Select all

function loadhighscores()
	if love.filesystem.exists("highscoreB") then
		local s = love.filesystem.read("highscoreB"):split("#")

Code: Select all

function savehighscoresA()
    --stuff
	love.filesystem.write("highscoreB", s)
end