Multiplayer/Singleplayer Boss Battle

Master Allison

Post » 16 Aug 2012, 08:57

Suppose the boss battle is fought between the duplicate (multiplayer) marios?
In which, after defeating Bowser, the other player characters meet GLaDOS, whom snidely points out that they cannot possibly share Peach. The other player characters are then tasked to fight one another, as GlaDOS indiscriminately drops koopa shells, stars, mobility gls, amd insults in order to "help".
*All the while, as the players fight, the geograpghy of the battlefield changes*
Floor panels tremble and fall, enemies are dropped from excursion funnels

When one player remains, (whether due to the game already being set on singleplayer, or from being the survivor of the melee) they are given one final choice...
a suspicious chocolate cake (which sits upon a crystal pedastal) or princess peach (who is behind a newly revealed door)...

Choose the cake as your reward:
Princess Peach appears from behind the door, very distraught!
She gives one terse indictment as the screen fades to black,
"You should not have done that! (Zelda Reference)"

Choose the princess behind the door:
Mario knocks on the door...
*knock,* *knock*
but to the player's suprise toad answers, (Mario jumps back in suprise) and shares a couple of moments of silence interrupted by Peach:
"Toad, who is it?"
Another couple of moments are spent as the screen fades to black and Toad says to Mario (rather embarressed),
"Sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
*The door slams shut and Toad disappears within*

In both cases, GlaDOS laughs at the trouble that has been wrought...

idiot9.0

Post » 16 Aug 2012, 09:33

First, welcome to the forums. Hope you stay longer than many other people have.
Second, I like your boss battle idea, but it seems to be focused mainly on multiplayer. I didn't spot any kind of battle after Bowser for just single player, so it seems like it'd lead right to your 'Choose the door' scenario. I would suggest, for those playing single player, adding a fight against some clones of Mario, so it's similar to the multiplayer battle.
Also with the endings, I like the 'Choose a door' scenario. Just some things about each:
Master Allison wrote:Choose the cake as your reward:
Princess Peach appears from behind the door, very distraught!
She gives one terse indictment as the screen fades to black,
"You should not have done that! (Zelda Reference)"
I had to look this reference up (It's a reference to a Creepypasta around Majora's Mask, for anyone who's too lazy to look it up), and I'm not too sure if many people will get this reference. I think she should say something else, maybe another quote that's more recognizable, but I like this ending idea overall.
Master Allison wrote:Choose the princess behind the door:
Mario knocks on the door...
*knock,* *knock*
but to the player's suprise toad answers, (Mario jumps back in suprise) and shares a couple of moments of silence interrupted by Peach:
"Toad, who is it?"
Another couple of moments are spent as the screen fades to black and Toad says to Mario (rather embarressed),
"Sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
*The door slams shut and Toad disappears within*
This one is kinda dark, but I like it. The "princess in another castle" joke just fits in to this ending. (Might want to make it a bit more PG though. Mario game, after all.)

Overall, a good idea... however, I think it's been said in this thread that Maurice was just gonna be making his own ending instead. Not to bash this idea, because it is pretty good.

Master Allison

Post » 16 Aug 2012, 11:11

Thank you very much for your review,
I felt from the beginning that my boss battle was lacking, however, I opted for austerity...
A boss battle against other mario players would be much simpler to implement, then one against GlaDOS, Wheatley, or Bowser directly. Yet, with my idea, perhaps it could be a set up to such a final boss fight.. Sometime before GlaDOS offers you the decision between the Cake or Princess, and immeadiately after the multiplayer battle?

I liked the idea of multiplayer boss battle, mainly because it would be the fufillment of her objective throughout the cooperative levels in Portal 2:
Discord between Atlas and P-body...
And the endings were intended to be rightfully sadistic, when you realize that GLaDOS offers them to you. Maybe, their could be a hidden Third Choice in which you negate both options and attack GLaDOS. Rather than fight in the multiplayer boss battle or make a decision post-battle, one may find the real ending to Mari0 by denying GLaDOS victory.

yay899

Post » 26 Aug 2012, 00:34

I think this is great. Maybe you could make a mod? Then everyone wins.

Master Allison

Post » 26 Aug 2012, 05:42

Well, I do not exactly have any of the programming knowledge needed to design something like this...
however, it would be nice to see it implemented...
*sigh*

victorymonster

Post » 30 Aug 2012, 09:18

how about Glawser which is pretty much bowser but with the controls of lasers fireballs that kind of stuff but no axe at the end to kill him but you have to kill him with lasers

cattycat2012

Post » 19 Sep 2012, 02:09

that is a very good idea i wish i was that creative i have the lack of creativity i have a little bit but not as much as you do