GlaDos Crawler

Jorichi

Post » 31 May 2012, 13:10

Bowser got all Sciency and decided to make GlaDos mobile to aid him in his quest to get Peach and rule the world and what not, maybe there is cake involved...

The idea:
You're in a square room, a bit bigger then normal in both height and width. All surfaces are portable.

Part One:
GlaDos walks around, you should avoid the legs so you won't get crushed to death. Portal out of the way if cornered, she's not that fast.
GlaDos will throw Bomb-ombs at you, which explode after a few seconds. Either portal the path of the thrown Bomb-omb onto GlaDos or carry the Bomb-omb yourself (like a companion cube) and place it manually on GlaDos' back. The shielding part will fracture with each hit, until it finally breaks (probably 3 times).
This enrages GlaDos and will make her switch to another pattern.

Part Two:
GlaDos will spew gel all over the room. It's purple gel, allowing you to walk on walls like spiderman. However, GlaDos will use this to her advantage, she will crawl up the wall and onto the ceiling. If you go after her she will start stomping, making you fall off. GlaDos will continue to terrorize you with Bomb-ombs, Goomba's and Koopa's. She'll occasionally stomp to make the screen shake, just because it's annoying for you. Kill a koopa and make sure no Bomb-ombs are in the shell's path. Shoot it, make it go up the wall and hit GlaDos' leg. She will fall down from the ceiling, onto her back with a loud thump. Several baddies will fall out of her as she lands. including a Bomb-omb. She will kick away with her legs and jumping on her while she's upside down won't do, as the spinning blades of the crawler are quite dangerous. Pick the Bomb-omb up, walk all the way up to the ceiling and drop it onto her. She will get back up on her feet and repeat the process two more times.
After enough successful hits, smoke starts to rise from the machine. Her 'eye' turns red and part three is about to start.

Part Three: The Grand Finale
Found in this post.

Some notes:
- You rely on Bomb-ombs mostly, even though they aren't really SMB1 enemies. But, it still beats crap ass lasers.
- Bomb-ombs indicate their time left by blinking black/red or black/white. The faster they blink, the sooner they'll explode.
- The difficulty relies on the speed of GlaDos and the number and frequency she throws enemies at you.
- Maybe GlaDos will occasionally throw a mushroom in there, so there is more room for error (1/2 hit kill is just a bit too cruel if you ask me).
- Always open for suggestions. I just thought up the process after I came up with the 'crawler' -concept.
Last edited by Jorichi on 02 Jun 2012, 16:23, edited 1 time in total.

renhoek

Post » 31 May 2012, 13:48

cool idea,
small suggestion for the mushrooms
how's about the princess is being held inside (for some random reason)
and every time she gets knocked out a hatch opens for peach to quickly throw a mushroom out.

also glados looks like a plushie. :P

FaycalMenouar

Post » 31 May 2012, 15:03

nice , creating that will be hard though , if they ever decide to create it , i wish them luck

NickIAm

Post » 31 May 2012, 15:20

I like this idea

P.P.P.P.S I hate PONIES!!!!

renhoek

Post » 31 May 2012, 15:45

NickIAm wrote:P.P.P.P.S I hate PONIES!!!!
p.s. that has nothing to do with this topic,
so any ideas for phase 3 yet jorichi?

FaycalMenouar

Post » 31 May 2012, 16:13

Maybe GlaDos will occasionally throw a mushroom in there, so there is more room for error (1/2 hit kill is just a bit too cruel if you ask me).

maybe princess Peach will occasionally throw mushrooms in there ,
imagine her in a cage , you have to rescue her , and she just helps you out with mushrooms .

renhoek

Post » 31 May 2012, 16:21

sorry to burst your bubble but I already said something along the same lines as that...
I think we have a good concept on our hands here.

Jorichi

Post » 31 May 2012, 16:50

xXxrenhoekxXx wrote: so any ideas for phase 3 yet jorichi?
Not really.
Something epic would be nice. Although Mario is killed with 1 or 2 hits, it makes it hard to make something challenging and innovative. Besides, we don't want the boss to become frustrating either.

Maybe:
GlaDos stomps the ground enraged, the building starts to explode and fall apart. It opens the wall on the right side of the chamber, allowing access to the rest of the level. The camera pans to the right, quickly showing the level you need to run through for your life. There is a button at the end, which GlaDos doesn't want you to press.
She will chase you down as she throws Bomb-ombs at you, some explode on impact (destroying blocks within a small radius) others start running after you as you run to the button. Occasionally GlaDos will close in on you, at that time you need to stun her for a sec by portal-ing a walking Bomb-omb onto her, so you gain some distance.
Once the button is pressed, I have no Idea what will happen.
The final run will be plagued with red alarm lights and several smoke clouds, to make visibility a bit harder.

The reason I won't add this to the idea is because I think it's quite dull and boring.

I really like to point out this ending cinematic (if one gets added) as well:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1743
It's just funny.

Kyle Prior

Post » 02 Jun 2012, 02:51

I'm really starting to like this idea. I admit that I haven't really looked at many others, but I feel that this one should be very high on everyone's wishlists!

FaycalMenouar

Post » 02 Jun 2012, 03:18

xXxrenhoekxXx wrote:cool idea,
small suggestion for the mushrooms
how's about the princess is being held inside (formaybe princess Peach will occasionally throw mushrooms in there ,
imagine her in a cage , you have to rescue her , and she just helps you out with mushrooms . some random reason)
and every time she gets knocked out a hatch opens for peach to quickly throw a mushroom out.

also glados looks like a plushie. :P

FaycalMenouar wrote:maybe princess Peach will occasionally throw mushrooms in there ,
imagine her in a cage , you have to rescue her , and she just helps you out with mushrooms .

renhoek

Post » 02 Jun 2012, 04:21

and you're quoting that why?

FaycalMenouar

Post » 02 Jun 2012, 04:31

xXxrenhoekxXx wrote:and you're quoting that why?
becuz i had that idea first , but , nahh who gives a shit ?

renhoek

Post » 02 Jun 2012, 04:36

-_-

anyway I'm going to try and get back on topic here
I'm not sure if you thought of it but for phase 3 why not have bowser come out the top of glados to control her and spit fire at mario and such.

FaycalMenouar

Post » 02 Jun 2012, 04:43

xXxrenhoekxXx wrote:-_-

How about you replace the face that is drawn on glados's "body" , and put bowser inside of it with some controls ?

Jorichi

Post » 02 Jun 2012, 15:33

Part Three: The Grand Finale?
GlaDos stomps around in anger (or Bowser decides to blow up everything), making the ceiling collapse at once. She will start crawling up the wall, you should do the same before the floor gives in as well, just make sure you go up the other wall. There is purple gel all over the walls in the seemingly endless vertical tunnel ahead of you. GlaDos will attempt to finally kill you as a 'defective subject' (or whatever reason you prefer), so she's after the button at the top of the facility, which will trigger your inevitable death.
Chase after her through this vertical tunnel. GlaDos and Bowser have several tricks to try and make you fall down:
1. GlaDos will spray water in front of you to erase the purple gel ahead of you. Touching the normal walls will alter the gravity, thus make you fall down, so make sure you avoid touching the normal walls.
2. Bowser will pop-up now and then, throwing a Bomb-omb at you quickly after. Jump out of its way or portal it away.
3. GlaDos will switch sides rarely, if she does she could crush you. This is indicated by her slowing down for a short period and bending down, preparing for a jump. By this point there will be flying Koopa's, parts of ceiling and falling platforms you can use to switch sides. Just make sure you don't hit her as you both switch sides.
4. Bowser breathes fire. You either need to slow down, or speed up your pace to avoid it.
5. Later, after you got some hits on the Boss, there will be rubble on the walls now and then. Avoid touching them, just like normal blocks, your gravity will be lifted and you fall down.

When Bowser decides to throw a bomb-omb at you you get the chance to hit GlaDos. Some Bomb-ombs won't explode on impact, just as before. Use those walking bomb-ombs to portal them underneath GlaDos to hit her.
NOTE: Make sure you portal a little ahead for two reasons: 1. the bomb-omb needs time to walk into your first portal. And 2. The Bomb-omb needs time to land on GlaDos herself.
When GlaDos is hit she gets stunned for a short period of time. Bowser will be hanging out of her back, huffing and puffing. During this moment, quickly portal to the other side and take your awesome, Italian, plumberish jumping powers out on Bowser's face. Make your way back quickly before GlaDos wakes up again and repeats the process.

Once enough hits have been placed on both GlaDos and Bowser; GlaDos will start exploding, with Bowser on her back.
Que ending.

I bet this will be quite hard to code and sprite. But I think it will be quite worth the effort.
What do you guys think?

Some idea's I had but didn't add:
- Aerial Faith plates to switch sides quicker.
- GlaDos (or Bowser) will sometimes activate a Light Bridge or a Laser, to gain some distance. (GlaDos will be slower then you).
- Maybe Peach escaped after part 2 for this reason: Peach will have 3 buttons to launch you back up with an aerial faith plate (basically giving you 3 lives for this round as you are easily killed by one mistake/misstep).

renhoek

Post » 02 Jun 2012, 15:44

wow that last part sounds like fun,
probably one of the best ideas I've heard so far,
you've got my vote... Even though they aren't tallied.

renhoek

Post » 04 Jun 2012, 08:44

I made this last night... I have no idea why but since it's a concept of phase one in your boss I guess I'll leave it here.

Jorichi

Post » 04 Jun 2012, 14:35

xXxrenhoekxXx wrote:I made this last night... I have no idea why but since it's a concept of phase one in your boss I guess I'll leave it here.
>awesome gif<
That's a nice explanation of phase one indeed. That should clear things up. Awesome job xXxrenhoekxXx!

TurretBot

Post » 20 Jun 2012, 03:16

You got my vote.
Except in stage 3 GLaDOS should fly and you have to hit her with whatever and you can bounce on her to switch to the other side.

Jorichi

Post » 20 Jun 2012, 14:36

Turret Opera wrote:You got my vote.
Except in stage 3 GLaDOS should fly and you have to hit her with whatever and you can bounce on her to switch to the other side.
It kind of ruins the concept of having a crawler. But she could 'fly' as she switches sides or prepares for certain attacks. And thus at that moment allowing you to switch sides by jumping on her. That's an idea I like.
Or it could even be the Fourth Stage of the fight, where she's all beaten up and smoking, her legs not working anymore so she discards her legs and uses Bowser's flying clown face thingamajig to chase you for the last part. But it might just make it all a bit too long, so I'm not sure about this. I like the idea though.

Flutter Skye

Post » 20 Jun 2012, 16:23

That's the best boss battle

idiot9.0

Post » 21 Jun 2012, 05:02

This boss fight's actually one of my favorites out of all the ideas. If there was voting, it'd most likely get my vote.
Also, I got bored and decided to sprite this thing based on the picture. It sucks, but here it is:
(The GlaDos head-piece thing was kinda half-assed. )
Last edited by idiot9.0 on 21 Jun 2012, 12:39, edited 1 time in total.

renhoek

Post » 21 Jun 2012, 10:01

that looks amazing dude...
Why do creators always see their good work as shit?

idiot9.0

Post » 21 Jun 2012, 10:08

xXxrenhoekxXx wrote: Why do creators always see their good work as shit?
They do it so people will feel pity, making them see it as good and forcing compliments out.
I dunno why I do honestly, it's probably because I see other awesome things and compare mine to theirs, then see mine as amateurish or something.
Either that or I'm just a pessimist when it comes to making sprites.

freakstorm101

Post » 22 Jun 2012, 08:57

This idea is by far the BEST!!!!

Flutter Skye

Post » 22 Jun 2012, 13:38

this must be *cough* the GLaDOS fight of SE