Kount Kong

Pelord

Post » 04 May 2012, 04:00

This is somewhat related to the idea I used in my mappack. Kount Kong is the character in my avatar. The concept behind him being in the game would be that he was a hidden Aperture experiment from the 80's. A bunch of Toads started searching for an abandoned salt mine, found the Aperture Labs, and accidentally awaken him when Bowser and his minions invade the mine. The Kount goes crazy, takes control of Bowser, and traps the Toads and the princess inside his own series of Test Chambers, leading all the way up to space.

The battle starts out where Kount Kong has Bowser under his control. This part isn't anything special, just the normal Bowser entity with hammers and fire. Kount Kong will be in an enclosed room, throwing fireballs as well, but these will work like Bullet Bills (just won't be able to stomp them). The objective here would be to send the bullet fireball back into the Kount, making him open the door to the axe. Bowser is defeated, but then the battle with the Kount begins.

Kount Kong teleports around the room, behaving similarly to Dracula from various Castlevania games. He has three attacks, the 'bullet' fireball (Hellfire), the 'shell' fireball which works similar to a Koopa/Beetle shell (Dark Inferno), and the Fire Pillar/Podoboo attack. The image shows all three, but he would never use both Hellfire and Dark Inferno in the same pass (he should only combine the Podoboo attack with another attack after taking some damage). To damage the Kount, a Hellfire or Dark Inferno needs to be redirected into the Kount's weak point, his head. Since the Kount teleports around the room, just redirecting a fireball to hit him won't always hit if it takes too long to reach him. Hellfire travels straight through the portal like a bullet bill would, where the Dark Inferno will bounce and travel in the direction it was moving as it goes through a portal. Also, Dark Inferno will disappear after a few seconds after bouncing around. Lasers along the wall should also toggle on/off to block attacks (or alternatively, have available portalable surfaces change throughout) depending on the Kount's location, amount of successful hits, and/or attack being used.

After an unspecified amount of hits (probably 5 or 6), Kount Kong transforms into the 'Cookie Monster' Kong. The battle area changes as well. Kong will be on the upper level, with Mario on the bottom with a hole in the center. Kong will move back and forth on the upper floor, throwing barrels down at Mario. The barrels will roll along the floor when they hit it. Mario will need to redirect the barrels to drop on Kong's head. Just like the previous fireballs, the direction the barrel is moving will slightly direct what direction they will fall. Portals can be fired through the bridge Kong is standing on, but Mario can not physically pass through it (I just used the Bowser bridge in the image for a lack of anything better at the time). There should also be some kind of barrier (as simple as a laser, possibly. Or some kind of power bomb attack.) to keep Mario from accessing or surviving on the upper floor (the red line is mostly a placeholder). Barrels that are redirected to the upper floor, but hit the bridge instead of Kong, will be destroyed. A fire pillar attack (the Podoboo's are mostly a placeholder) will keep Mario from camping to one side of the room for too long (the fire would not be instant, you would have time to react and move out of the way). Upon defeat, Kong falls off the bridge and into the bottomless void, where he will be doomed to be pecked by birds.

This would probably go without saying (or maybe not), but the battles would be timed. Mostly to continue the 'Deadly Neurotoxin' trend in Portal bosses.

I'm also thinking about somewhat of a 'reward' for those who reach the boss with Fire Flower power, the ability to stun the Kount with fireballs (they could also be used as normal against Bowser, obviously).

Yeah, it's not GLaDOS, and it's a bit random, but it is somewhat Mario related. If anything, maybe GLaDOS could appear at the very end to actually toss Kong off the bridge and into the hole?
Last edited by Pelord on 04 May 2012, 11:17, edited 1 time in total.

Mari0Lu1g1

Post » 04 May 2012, 04:10

So many good ideas...

Pelord

Post » 04 May 2012, 11:31

Made a few minor edits above, but also wanted to add:

It might end up being a bit excessive, but I was also thinking of yet another form of the boss, based off of the final Dracula from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, which would be similar to the final boss of Donkey Kong for Game Boy. I think three (well, 2 and a half) forms would be more than sufficient, though. Also still need to think how to utilize portals, but I'm thinking on requiring more defensive maneuvering to dodge wide ranged attacks.