[MODS] T-Junctions, Upside-Down Plants, Water, Red Plants

Mods, guides how to use and install mods go right in here.
EntranceJew

Post » 12 Mar 2012, 09:07

Oh boy, it's a thread. I made this mostly to demonstrate what I have done so far and I do plan to add download links to the individual modded files soon but I need to clean up the code a little bit more. Think of this thread as a showcase slash to-do list. Most mods here are going to be using Mari0MS over yonder. You will need this in order to make my mods work.

• Done
    • Red Piranha Plants (Download) Image1 - These guys that are much faster than normal ones and they only refuse to pop back up if mario is standing above or under them. I also fixed a bug with Super Mario Brothers 1 where the very stem (1 row of pixels at the base) of the piranha plant doesn't expose itself as it was supposed to. This is considered a "bug" because all other versions of super mario brothers shows the plant stem. The hitbox was not re-sized but I do have to account for the extra pixel on the bottom. Red variant also debuted in Lost Levels. Combined with this I fixed a bug where mario would end up getting hurt by a piranha plant that was inside something.
    • Upside-down Piranha Plants (Download: See Above) Image1 - Piranha plant, how'd you get up there? An enemy from SMB: Lost Levels (smb2j). Not released yet because between their addition and resizing the piranha sprite I need to fix mario's collision detection on the undersides of piranha plants.
  • Working On
    • Groundlight T-Junctions - Added lights going off in two different directions so that branching light routes can exist. Nothing complex, just standard old lights. I'm also going to be adding basically every variant available on a 9x9 grid that would make sense. To prevent these from taking up too much room I'm going to make their alternate sprites available through their rightclick value.
    • Water Gel - It required fixing up the code that determines if gel can paint a surface to exclude cases where there's a portal atop a surface. It's not done yet because that's still imperfect.
  • Planned
    • Gel Residue - I want to change the gel system to have a bit of resistance to change, that is, give each gel tile a bit of "health" that would require being struck several times over a period of time before being painted a new color.
    • Wet Surfaces - I would like to make walls that resist getting painted indefinitely, this would be independent from the normal water gel that washes a surface because it would be pretty bad to be able to coat the entire level with something that could make it unwinnable.
    • Editor Hotkeys - Mostly F1-4 being a shortcut to open a particular tab in the editor, because having to click it each time is a drag.
    • Editor Right-click Value Permanence - Intended to make it so that the rightclick value of something is defined when the editor is open to enable it to be painted.
    • Triggers - Detects mario's presence within the block, sends signal to entity. Useful for making scripted events or making player gate rooms like in portal 2's co-op.
    • Reworked Input System - Necessary for multiple-input systems to function properly. Also, a delay is necessary between signaling a value to itself to prevent a stack overflow.
    • Additional Faithplate Orientations - For launching mario off walls without using blue gel, or from the ceiling if one were so inclined.
      • Adjustable launch velocities through input/output values, make launch angle dependent upon discrepancy between imparted x/y and the launch time dependent upon the magnitude of the velocity.
    • Input/Output Labels - To allow for having multiple input/output channels, combining this with sending signals that don't simply consist of "on" or "off". Imagine being able to control the launch x/y with an entity that dynamically changes its output based on its input.
    • Reworked Existing Entities - Being able to trigger a mushroom-in-block entity to respawn a mushroom inside it and things of the like.
    • Customizable Objects - You know how when you select that one specific portal tile it builds a whole square? That, except you change what is what. Would require a "select" tool to incorporate it in-game.
Last edited by EntranceJew on 17 Mar 2012, 13:02, edited 1 time in total.

EntranceJew

Post » 17 Mar 2012, 13:02

Oh my goodness, I added upside-down piranha plants and their slightly faster variant to the done stack and there's even a download.

Zlmpery

Post » 17 Mar 2012, 20:09

Well, It is pretty awesome of you to make upside-down piranhas and whatnot. However, you should make you topic design a little more eye-catching. Although it is very organized, people won't want to download it because they would actually have to "read the text."

Try using the img tags so people will immediately notices something you've changed. Put downloads on the next line, increased in size. Use font color if you have to.

All in all, you did a good job on these mods. Unfortunately, people don't like "walls of text."

Cake

Post » 25 Apr 2012, 04:02

Looks like a good mod, but when I dropped it into my mods folder, it did the bluescreen... oh well, not much reason for my mappack anyway.

Superjustinbros

Post » 25 Apr 2012, 12:05

I only wish these great mods could just be put into a future version of Mari0 period without having to download these mods, since half the time they don't work otherwise.