[WIP][Updated 2/12] Steampunk Edition

Mods, guides how to use and install mods go right in here.
HAPPYFACES

Post » 22 Jan 2013, 12:27

Please read Changes and stuff before downloading the mod, thank you.

Today, I am bringing you an idea I've had stuck in my head since I got Mari0.

At the time I was really big into Steampunk, not quite so much anymore, but still enough to actually follow through with this.
This is a graphical modification mainly taking from the x7 and x8 columns of the NES palette, and hitting the original SMB tileset in the face with them. Of course there are some changes here and there, some additions and such. But that's the main premise of it.
(Also it's not true 8-bit, I use more than 3 or 4 colors in each tile so... Yeah.)

I plan on turning this into a full graphical modification, changing all enemies and items into brassy, slapped together versions of themselves (So that's why it's in the MODDING section. Right? Right? AmmIright?). Of course this might never happen... So enjoy some screenshots; mappack; custom song (NOT made by me, credits are in the actual song file); and crappy, incomplete tileset while this idea is still fresh and... Middle-Victorian new.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My puzzles are preeeeetty simple... Not... Because I suck at making puzzles, but because I'm more interested in showing off the tileset.

This was the best I could do to mock up some kind of energy core... Please, hold your applause. Please.

Always thought the stairs to the flag and castles were boringly similar... Mixing it up a bit, you know?

Hold on to that box for dear life, Mario. It will save you from the nasty old men who want to... Ask for your change.

I did not use every tile in my tileset, so if you wanna check them out, go ahead and go into the level editor with them, see what you can make.

Changes and stuff:
I did not convert the custom song to .ogg format, so be careful with what you're running with Mari0.
Changed the original Overworld song to the original, non-edited version of the MP3, converted into .ogg. Most maps in the mappack don't even play the song, as one does get sick of it after a while.
Bowser is ripped straight from 0'Brothers, thank you to Baf for that, even though I did not ask him. I am sorry, I dislike the original bowser sprite, and this is just a placeholder to ease my eyes while I try to think of a design for him. (And yes, a little red hair goes a long way. Call me a simpleton, but FFFFF red hair... Do love.)
Most everything from SMB has been reskinned, the Portal skins are sadly in the same state as Bowser; not even started.
I suck at level design and puzzles... I know how to scare people though, hehe.
The last level, I got super bored and super lazy. That's why it's shit and short. I'll pick it up later, probably make more worlds and such.
I added something nice down below... Check it out when you're done reading this.
This mod includes pbalazs' Better Editor Mod. I like it. You'll like it if you don't already.

Downloads:
The original first version of the tileset and the mappack:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?3qgylms769nuqlj

The first MOD version:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?1nyvr2e8xob4o52

Please note that the following image is NOT what I called for help with in the "Gamemode Request + other mods" thread. This is it's predecessor, and the inspiration for the idea.

Simply put, this puts my HF sprite as player 2, the "Serious Game" Guy as player 3, and Chell as player 4. By going into the source file and changing folder names in "Options" and "Player" folders, you can rearrange them into whatever order you desire. Also makes it a little easier to have multiple skins for every player, if you religiously play Mari0 with other people.

The Main Menu and levelscreen images are broken after my n00bish attempts at making them display the characters, however during gameplay and the Skins tab in the options menu work fine. Also this mod DOES modify every file necessary (main.lua, mario.lua, menu.lua, and levelscreen.lua.) If Do want, then
Saint_HAPPYFACES.gives.Standalone.Multiple.Character.Mod == true

(I... Am... Tired. Have fuuun!)
Last edited by HAPPYFACES on 12 Feb 2013, 11:08, edited 8 times in total.

Superjustinbros

Post » 22 Jan 2013, 15:22

I don't intend on being rude, but shouldn't his be in Mapping?

But by all other means I'll take a look later, It looks very promising.

Legend_of_Kirby

Post » 22 Jan 2013, 15:24

Happy Faces wrote: plan on turning this into a full graphical modification, changing all enemies and items into brassy, slapped together versions of themselves (So that's why it's in the MODDING section. Right? Right? AmmIright?)

BobTheLawyer

Post » 22 Jan 2013, 15:25

But it isn't a mod yet, really...

Superjustinbros

Post » 22 Jan 2013, 17:37

Um,... I get this whenever I try to download the map pack.
Download permission denied by uploader. (0b67c2f5)

Matu_Il_Mito

Post » 22 Jan 2013, 18:33

Superjustinbros wrote:Um,... I get this whenever I try to download the map pack.
me too :\

HAPPYFACES

Post » 22 Jan 2013, 18:43

Matu_Il_Mito wrote:
Superjustinbros wrote:Um,... I get this whenever I try to download the map pack.
me too :\
Should have fixed it... I've never used RapidShare before, didn't know that I had to make the permissions public :P

Mari0Maker

Post » 22 Jan 2013, 19:46

Just use Mediafire the make it a hell of a lot easier.

HAPPYFACES

Post » 22 Jan 2013, 20:18

Mari0Maker wrote:Just use Mediafire the make it a hell of a lot easier.
I did just say Mediafire hated Google Chrome... For some odd reason, it wouldn't let me register yesterday, it'd just take me back to the introduction screen every time.

But I tried it today, problem must have been fixed. I'll have the link changed to mediafire in a sec.

Edit: And there we go. Hope that helped.

jokekid

Post » 07 Feb 2013, 21:15

making a mappack using this mappack, i'm really enjoying it, i may make a mod to make steampunk-ish enemies as well

HAPPYFACES

Post » 09 Feb 2013, 05:11

jokekid wrote:making a mappack using this mappack, i'm really enjoying it, i may make a mod to make steampunk-ish enemies as well
While I'm flattered by this, I am already working on that.
Plus a little something... But I'll save that for later.

HAPPYFACES

Post » 12 Feb 2013, 11:07

Shameless Bump of epic proportions:

Now updated with super awesome cool stuff!
Not really. All I did was what I said I would do plus something *Brick* Special.