Mod request - Better gel cannon

Mods, guides how to use and install mods go right in here.
Ganondalf

Post » 09 Jun 2012, 20:04

I've made a map pack that can only be beaten with the Gel cannon, but right now there's a lot of fighting you have to do with the engine to get the gel to go where you want it to go because of a few problems with the way it was coded. I don't know love, so I'm not exactly sure how to fix these things, but if someone who's been fooling around with modding this game already knows how to fix these things I'd greatly appreciate it. If you don't feel like helping me out, but at least knows where the code related to these things is, I could try to give it a shot myself.

Here's the map pack I made if you want to see what I'm talking about you can see the topic here.

Actual problems with the gel cannon that I'd like to fix:

- The spawn point for the gel is a little too low on Mario's sprite, so shooting gel down off a ledge it very difficult unless you jump.
- The velocity of the gel isn't affected by the velocity of Mario, so when moving fast, Mario can get to places before the gel that he's shooting out in front of him does.

Just extra stuff that I'd like to add to the mod if I can:
- If this is going to be a mod anyway, it'd be nice to have the gel cannon automatically enabled whenever you go to play this map so people don't have to go change a bunch of settings to play the map.
- A custom sprite for the gun so it doesn't just look like a portal gun shooting gel out of itself
- (not really needed) change the power (the distance the gel will shoot out of the gun) of the gel cannon with the middle mouse button scroll thing.

Ganondalf

Post » 11 Jun 2012, 22:42

Does no one know where the code related to the gel cannon is? If I could at least have a hint here, I might be able to figure it out myself.

Maurice
Stabyourself.net

Post » 11 Jun 2012, 23:12

game.lua, search for "--gelcannon", and mario.lua function mario:shootgel

Ganondalf

Post » 12 Jun 2012, 00:48

Thanks Maurice.