Using Mari0 to Graduate from High School PLEASE HELP!!

Mods, guides how to use and install mods go right in here.
Gorantu

Post » 25 Apr 2012, 19:17

As the title says I am going to use this game to help me graduate from High School, I have to put together a senior project that reflects me and since I am a huge gamer I thought there would be nothing better than to design a mod for this glorious game. I personally do not have any coding or modding experience of any kind so anyone willing to help me out on this en devour would be greatly appreciated! Also any ideas to improve this project are greatly appreciated!

-A Basic outline of the project-
4 levels with 2 bonus level

replacing mari0 with student version of myself

replacing all the bad guys with teachers / principles

replacing all the power ups mushrooms, stars etc with text books or papers

1 boss at the end and after beating the boss he leaves behind my diploma for me to collect

maybe some NPC's who nag at me to hurry up and get my diploma or finish some homework etc to represent my teachers at my school

The 4 levels represent my years in high school (each level gets harder just like each year gets harder in high school)

The First bonus level I was thinking would represent my major extra curricular in school Mock Trial (basically i get to dress up and play lawyer) so if that level could include legal things like gavels, judges, wigs, attorneys, people in suits etc.

The Second Bonus level would represent the College courses I took during my senior year so the bad guys / power ups would be replaced with the schools mascot, professors and what not.

I just thought of this Idea today so it is still in its infancy, any help at all would be greatly appreciated, links, videos, articles on modding or coding all wanted and needed.

I really appreciate any and all help that I receive on this and whoever helps would have the satisfaction of helping a student further his education, thank you very much for your time!

Camewel

Post » 25 Apr 2012, 19:34

Most of this can be done just in the level editor and by swapping the sprites for the entities around. Very little actual coding would be required.

Sentinel

Post » 25 Apr 2012, 19:51

How would you submit this to your teacher? Is this like a computer class or gaming school?

Gorantu

Post » 25 Apr 2012, 21:10

Alright thanks Camewel, and Sentinel I would just have my teachers play through the levels ;), the teachers expect a lot from me at this school so im trying to do something out of the box, and it has to be entertaining so I thought i would just let them play through it

Gorantu

Post » 25 Apr 2012, 21:12

@ Camewel, for the things that cannot be done in the editor, is there any information you could provide that would head me in the right direction?

Camewel

Post » 25 Apr 2012, 21:19

Open the .love file and go into graphics. You can then edit the sprites.

Gorantu

Post » 25 Apr 2012, 21:20

Camewel wrote:Open the .love file and go into graphics. You can then edit the sprites.
Alright thank you!

Sentinel

Post » 25 Apr 2012, 21:46

I doubt that they will even play this game, you should at least provide a play through of this mod using fraps or any similar software. May I ask what school is this?

Mari0Lu1g1

Post » 26 Apr 2012, 00:19

If I where a teacher I'd take it offensively :I

Camewel

Post » 26 Apr 2012, 00:33

Offensively? How is that even possible?

RWLabs

Post » 26 Apr 2012, 01:26

I'm confused of what COUNTRY (let alone school) would give you a diploma for a mod.

Gorantu

Post » 26 Apr 2012, 02:49

I was thinking of using fraps also thanks Sentinel, I'm not getting a diploma for a mod its part of my senior project, the mod is just 1 part of it.

Sentinel

Post » 26 Apr 2012, 04:22

Before you start this project you might want to check on your teacher if you're in a good track. Make sure thats its an acceptable project and not a waste of your time.

Ok lets see here...

- Create a hat instead of replacing the whole mario sprite. you can just draw a hat and make it look like you, so you wont have to replace the whole mario spritesheet.

- um, why would you turn the baddies into your teachers? do you really want to stomp and kill them in game?

- replacing power ups into textbooks and stuff shouldnt be that hard. (I could actually help you with this one)

- You can replace princess peach into a diploma when you beat Bowser.

- NPCs shouldnt be that hard to set up. Check out Acid Trip DLC for references

- It will be much easier for you if you just combine the levels and leave out "bonus levels."

Set it up like this:

World 1-1 = Library theme
1-2 = The Courthouse
1-3 = Your favorite subject like Mathematics or Art
1-4 = Graduation theme

Gorantu

Post » 26 Apr 2012, 06:53

Sentinel wrote:Before you start this project you might want to check on your teacher if you're in a good track. Make sure thats its an acceptable project and not a waste of your time.

Ok lets see here...

- Create a hat instead of replacing the whole mario sprite. you can just draw a hat and make it look like you, so you wont have to replace the whole mario spritesheet.

- um, why would you turn the baddies into your teachers? do you really want to stomp and kill them in game?

- replacing power ups into textbooks and stuff shouldnt be that hard. (I could actually help you with this one)

- You can replace princess peach into a diploma when you beat Bowser.

- NPCs shouldnt be that hard to set up. Check out Acid Trip DLC for references

- It will be much easier for you if you just combine the levels and leave out "bonus levels."

Set it up like this:

World 1-1 = Library theme
1-2 = The Courthouse
1-3 = Your favorite subject like Mathematics or Art
1-4 = Graduation theme
Alright whatever makes it easier thanks for all your help and I know my teachers they would think it was hilarious if they got to squash teachers during the game haha!

rAALph SiC

Post » 27 Apr 2012, 07:06

this idea is rad! i'm sure there are plenty of people in this community that should be able to help you a ton.

pbalazs

Post » 27 Apr 2012, 23:36

You know what would really help you graduate?
Not playing this game any more lol.

Sky

Post » 28 Apr 2012, 01:12

pbalazs wrote:You know what would really help you graduate?
Sašo wrote:Don't post in help threads if you don't intend to help.

Camewel

Post » 28 Apr 2012, 01:27

WillWare wrote:
pbalazs wrote:You know what would really help you graduate?
Sašo wrote:Don't post in help threads if you don't intend to help.
Sašo wrote:If you see anyone breaking the rules, use the report button; it's a triangle with an exclamation mark to the right of the post. Don't make posts about someone else breaking the rules or reporting someone.
Although the whole help threads thing was mainly just to stop renhoek's incredibly dumb meme which basically just revolved around spamming and being useless. I guess it's still pretty important either way to stop people going off-topic like I'm doing right now.

PloXyZeRO

Post » 29 Apr 2012, 05:09

No modding experience? Well good luck!
I'm sure you'll graduate high school either way, but I hope you get it done. You should upload it when you're done too so we can all play it :)

Nate*Rod*

Post » 13 May 2012, 13:27

PloXyZeRO wrote:No modding experience? Well good luck!
I'm sure you'll graduate high school either way, but I hope you get it done. You should upload it when you're done too so we can all play it :)
Remember: Most of his work will be just graphics.
If you can learn the basics of programming (and with Lua, it's easy), you can go into a spare copy of Mari0 and experiment.

PloXyZeRO

Post » 13 May 2012, 20:49

I personally have known Lua for a while now (it was the first programming language I've learned! From playing Roblox in like 2007, lol), and I learned Love just so I can mod Mari0, but after seeing like 20 Lua files with 2000 line codes, it was kind of hard to find the lines I wanted to change. But maybe that's because I don't really have any motivation to make something, just for fun mostly

But maybe he'll have more motivation and be able to get what he wanted to get done...done!