Question about Modding

Mods, guides how to use and install mods go right in here.
MonkeyMan12

Post » 19 Apr 2012, 09:39

Will multiple mods be able to work together like say Minecraft. Example: Your playing the game and you kill a turret (Turrets by Fakeuser) and you level up (Mari0 RPG by Hylario) aswell.

Also does anyone know where i can get a good tutorial or so on making Mari0 mods?

Camewel

Post » 19 Apr 2012, 18:15

As mods are distributed in .love form, it's not possible to use them together unless the creator offers a patch version (which I bet fakeuser will be more than up for doing) and you patch it in yourself.

There is no tutorial for making Mari0 mods as such. All you need to do is download the source, decompress it and edit the lua files. You'll need to learn lua and love2d first though.

fakeuser

Post » 19 Apr 2012, 21:42

Turrets mod has a version that could be loaded with Maro Modding System already. If the RPG mod does have such a version, then yes, the mods could be run simultaneously. There is a slight chance (-> 0%) that global variables with same names are used and then one of the mods will not behave properly. However this will most likely not happen. BUT. I have the feeling that RPG mod will not be able to handle turrets like any other enemy as they are custom objects. I am not aware of it's implementation though.

What Camewel said is pretty much all that could be said. And that is exactly why two mods are not necessarily expected to run well together - there are no rules how a mod should be written.

Camewel

Post » 19 Apr 2012, 21:43

By a patch version, I mean a version that is just the new bits of code and where to put them. I heard you did minimal edits of original code so this should be easy for the end user to install.

fakeuser

Post » 19 Apr 2012, 21:49

I know what you meant. Patching is as easy as copying one folder and adding

Code: Select all

require "mods/turrets/loader"
at the right place. That is pretty much what the MMS version does too. You will agree that most of the users don't really understand what's the difference between adding that line on line 2 or line 200. That's why I advertised the ready-to-use version

Camewel

Post » 19 Apr 2012, 22:14

Did you really leave all the original files untouched? If so, I'm impressed.

Anyway, this will teach you about using Lua, and this contains all the info you will ever need on using LÖVE's functions.

fakeuser

Post » 19 Apr 2012, 22:43

Camewel wrote:Did you really leave all the original files untouched? If so, I'm impressed.
Download a fresh source copy of the game and extract it, extract the turrets folder from the latest release of the mod, add it into the new game folder (or into %appdata%/LOVE/mari0) and then add in main.lua on line 241

Code: Select all

require "turrets/loader"
to ensure yourself. Main concepts of interceptors may be found even in wikipedia. However it is an advanced move, lua is not the best language to try this for first time and Maurice didn't wrote all of his code in a interceptable fashion ;)

Edit: inclusion line added, in bold

MonkeyMan12

Post » 20 Apr 2012, 10:34

Camewel wrote:Did you really leave all the original files untouched? If so, I'm impressed.

Anyway, this will teach you about using Lua, and this contains all the info you will ever need on using LÖVE's functions.
Thank you but I was looking for a step-by-step video for beginners.

fakeuser

Post » 20 Apr 2012, 12:04

Programming is not learnt by step-by-step videos... You could however google for some tutorials http://lua-users.org/wiki/LuaTutorial