[MOD][1.6] Turrets (by Fakeuser) v0.6 release candidate

Mods, guides how to use and install mods go right in here.
idiot9.0

Post » 16 Apr 2012, 01:55

Pyr0saur wrote:Thanks, I don't know why Turtle95 didn't get that. :p
Anyway, I'm guessing he thought it was Maurice's design rather than mine. I don't mind that he uses it(I'm flattered, actually), as long as I get credit.
Well, from what I remember, the turret that Fakeuser is using was made by Maurice (or someone he asked, I dunno), because it was in the pack that Maurice posted on Turtle's turret thread. Either way, it looks good.

EDIT: and I was ninja'd by fakeuser, nice :P

Pyrosaur

Post » 16 Apr 2012, 02:00

fakeuser wrote:
Pyr0saur wrote:Is it a coincidence the turrets look almost exactly like my design?
Anyway, this looks pretty good. Nice job.
You won't believe it... But you should ask Maurice the same question, as turret image was provided with the initial code, so yes, he may have used yours.
Disclaimer: I did not made the graphics, as I said I am no designer. Graphics in use are in-game, provided by Maurices initial code or from some sprite database...
So do you have any problem with me using your images?

I bet some Valve guys are about to show and ask questions about sounds...
Ah, I see. In Turtle's thread, I posted my turret for him to use, and Maurice said I had the right idea. So Maurice most likely added it in with the code. Anyway, I don't have a problem with you using my turret, so go right ahead. Great mod, by the way. Are you planning on adding interaction with Bullet Bills?

fakeuser

Post » 16 Apr 2012, 02:22

Falling turrets may stomp bullet bills. Or at least should do it. Haven't tested but it's in the code. Or you mean bulletbills kill turrets? Haven't actually thought about that. So you guys... What do you want in? I'm planning faithplate use and Turtle extend with some sounds. I'm afraid you may get annoyed by them and think about making them play with some probability (e.g. 30% to say "Activated!"). How do you preffer turrets to die? Now they die with explosion (if set on fire, or get rotated too much, or when held and star is collected) and with default jump-and-fall-offscreen animation when shot, shell-ed or passed by starred mario. Also hitting the block below them want kill them, anybody has problems with that?

idiot9.0

Post » 16 Apr 2012, 02:34

I'm completely fine with how they act now. To me, it seems that if the turret dies a "Portal-esque" death, they explode, while if they die in Mario fashion, they fall off the screen. It makes them match both game styles. And yes, bullet bills should kill turrets, but I'm willing to wait on that. The "hitting blocks under turrets not kill them" thing doesn't bug me at all.

fakeuser

Post » 16 Apr 2012, 02:40

Well if I don't accidentally think of something other, maybe I will take the bulletbill thingy because have I known how easy was to make this, you would have had it with 0.3

Pyrosaur

Post » 16 Apr 2012, 02:48

Alright, here are a few suggestions:
-Cube can deflect shots from turret
-Turrets killed by bullets
-Possibly remove the blood. It doesn't really seem to fit having blood in a Mario game, especially since there's no other blood in the game.
-When turrets get rotated, have them land on the ground on their sides before blowing up. This would be closer to the game.
-Make cube knock over turrets? (maybe just because I love beating them silly with a cube)
-Make the bullets know Mario back a bit. Not only is this more like Portal, but it also makes it so you can't just run up to it and jump past it easily.
-Make turrets die if dropped from high up

fakeuser

Post » 16 Apr 2012, 03:03

Thanks for the TODO list I have some comments though
Pyr0saur wrote:Alright, here are a few suggestions:
-Turrets killed by bullets turret bullets or bulletbills?
-Possibly remove the blood. It doesn't really seem to fit having blood in a Mario game, especially since there's no other blood in the game. Yeah, I know. I have to implement a hitcounter shown below the scores maybe?
-Make turrets die if dropped from high up how do you define high?
And here's what you get in return.

P.s. Have you known bulletbills can kill your enemies only after being portalled?

Pyrosaur

Post » 16 Apr 2012, 03:16

Yes, I meant bulletbills kill turrets. And I see you did a good job on that. As for dropping turrets, I'd say 3-5 blocks high would be good. And with the hitcounter: Maybe instead of blood, make Mario darken a bit, and die when he becomes too dark? And obviously he would become light again when he stops getting hit.

EDIT: Like this: Image

Camewel

Post » 16 Apr 2012, 03:36

I really don't like the idea of turrets dying when dropped from a height, this never happened in Portal, and there are no actual heights in Mari0.

fakeuser

Post » 16 Apr 2012, 03:38

Will think about darkening Mario. Sounds acceptable but am open to another ideas too. I don't like turrets being afraid of heights too besides they look so pretty bouncing on faithplates and shooting.. Meanwhile enjoy the new Mari0 Modding System version of this mod. Feel free to experiment mixing stuff and getting mixed bugs in various mods!

Turtle95

Post » 16 Apr 2012, 03:43

Camewel wrote:I really don't like the idea of turrets dying when dropped from a height, this never happened in Portal, and there are no actual heights in Mari0.
Well, they tipped over. I added a sound earlier for when they tipped over, and they go, owowowoowow.

Also, fake, I noticed if you are behind the turret and block a bridge, it would still play the sounds I implemented.

fakeuser

Post » 16 Apr 2012, 03:48

Turtle95 wrote:
Camewel wrote:I really don't like the idea of turrets dying when dropped from a height, this never happened in Portal, and there are no actual heights in Mari0.
Well, they tipped over. I added a sound earlier for when they tipped over, and they go, owowowoowow.

Also, fake, I noticed if you are behind the turret and block a bridge, it would still play the sounds I implemented.
Sounds to me like a problem in your coding? I'm gonna check that later.. I should really do some real work these days

Turtle95

Post » 16 Apr 2012, 03:52

fakeuser wrote:
Turtle95 wrote:

Sounds to me like a problem in your coding? I'm gonna check that later.. I should really do some real work these days
I'll fix it if you want me to.

fakeuser

Post » 16 Apr 2012, 13:05

You don't really need to ask permission to fix your code

fakeuser

Post » 16 Apr 2012, 15:44

Updated to v0.4 alpha
New things - reduced hitpoints, better bullet collisions, turrets knock you back when shot... CHANCE to deflect a bullet when holding sth (e.g. cube, other turret...). Turrets use faithplates and can be knocked by cubes. You can kill them with blue gel too. Already posted some screens, now the new ones:
ImageImage
Maybe the graphic author will provide me with some better blue-gelled turrets? Darkening mario will be too much of a pain as I cannot just intercept the game_draw function... Other ideas?

P.s. Turtle's update were not included as he has some issues to fix and I didn't get the time to look at them for him.

Turtle95

Post » 16 Apr 2012, 15:52

I can make it, just wait till I get home later. :D

I actually have one from the turrets I was using.

Pyrosaur

Post » 16 Apr 2012, 21:15

Actually, when turrets get covered in gel in Portal 2, they just turn blue. So all you need is this: Image

fakeuser

Post » 16 Apr 2012, 21:27

Pyr0saur wrote:Actually, when turrets get covered in gel in Portal 2, they just turn blue. So all you need is this: Image
That's what I did... Gonna paint the arm too then
Edit did the trick. Just looks like the turret is invisible if default blue background is used
Last edited by fakeuser on 16 Apr 2012, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.

Pyrosaur

Post » 16 Apr 2012, 21:33

fakeuser wrote:
Pyr0saur wrote:Actually, when turrets get covered in gel in Portal 2, they just turn blue. So all you need is this: Image
Alright, go for it. Also, I guess the blood would be okay if we can't think of anything else. There is blood in Portal after all.

Turtle95

Post » 16 Apr 2012, 21:34

Pyr0saur wrote:
fakeuser wrote:
Alright, go for it. Also, I guess the blood would be okay if we can't think of anything else. There is blood in Portal after all.

It existed in Portal 1, but not 2

fakeuser

Post » 16 Apr 2012, 22:57

So.. let me explain what is the problem. Intercepting in lua is limited (as far as I know) to storing the old function, setting a new function value to it and executing the old one from within. Like

Code: Select all

local old = doSomething
doSomething = function()
    print("Hi there")
    old()
    print("Function end")
end
So I am limited to doing something before and/or after the original function, but not changing it local variables or doing something in the middle of the old function. Mario is one of the classes that are drawn in the game_draw function which, as a matter of fact is huge. So I will not copy all stuff that needs to be painted after (or before) Mario himself. So I can't darken only him. Nor can I modify his graphics. So please refrain from such ideas.

P.s. So.. I fixed the cannot-be-fixed bug - no more turret arms and shots get played over the pause menu. They are just not painted when the pause menu is open.

fakeuser

Post » 17 Apr 2012, 00:04

Added the three mappacks I know about that use turrets in the first post. Thanks jmv3597 for adding them, I should really check out your mappack.

jmv3597

Post » 17 Apr 2012, 01:02

fakeuser wrote:Added the three mappacks I know about that use turrets in the first post. Thanks jmv3597 for adding them, I should really check out your mappack.
thanks man i also have a version of my map here:viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1458 with your mod if you'd like to add it

ERich935

Post » 17 Apr 2012, 01:10

Turtle95 wrote:
ERich935 wrote:
Turtle95 wrote:Just unzip the files. Find the love file and run it if you have love 0.8.0 installed
Yeeaahh... about that... when I went to the website to download it, turns out it said the site is untrusted.
Meh. There's gotta be another way to do this then. AIM or something? I don't think anyone wants that. Hm.. Any ideas?

FYI I used to have that problem. What antivirus are you using? Some get false-positives. AVG is one of them.
I have AVG

ERich935

Post » 17 Apr 2012, 01:23

nevermind i mannaged to fix mah problem :D

12seth12

Post » 17 Apr 2012, 01:30

When you changed it so that you jump when you get to blue gel, shouldn't it be the other way around.
I tried it and basicly you jump when you're walking/running from blue to orange, but if it was the other way around, you could run fast on orange and jump (when changing from orange to blue) really far.

fakeuser

Post » 17 Apr 2012, 02:01

You are holding down the Shift key, aren't you? As I said in the first comment, it's a bug, not a feature. I can't believe I didn't remeber to delete it until now. Won't be in for next version.
P.s. If you want to enjoy the proper "reaaally far" jump, run the orange gel without holding the run button. It turns out the shift key forces mario to slow down just before colliding with the blue gel overlay

Mari0Lu1g1

Post » 17 Apr 2012, 02:06

Is it possible to make turrets move in EVERY direction?

fakeuser

Post » 17 Apr 2012, 02:16

Mari0Lu1g1 wrote:Is it possible to make turrets move in EVERY direction?
What do you mean?

jmv3597

Post » 17 Apr 2012, 02:44

fakeuser wrote:
Mari0Lu1g1 wrote:Is it possible to make turrets move in EVERY direction?
What do you mean?
i think he means one that goes both left and right by turning it while holding it

fakeuser

Post » 17 Apr 2012, 03:02

Changing the direction can be done but I don't really see why. Turrets are better killed than faced the other way. Plus they give points (or will give. Still not implemented everywhere)

Turtle95

Post » 17 Apr 2012, 03:26

fakeuser wrote:You are holding down the Shift key, aren't you? As I said in the first comment, it's a bug, not a feature. I can't believe I didn't remeber to delete it until now. Won't be in for next version.
P.s. If you want to enjoy the proper "reaaally far" jump, run the orange gel without holding the run button. It turns out the shift key forces mario to slow down just before colliding with the blue gel overlay
Maurice should fix that..

Sentinel

Post » 17 Apr 2012, 05:38

Is it ok if I replace the turret (graphics) when I use this mod? My turret is 16x16 and Im just wondering if it will cause bugs if I replace the default graphics.

fakeuser

Post » 17 Apr 2012, 15:11

Turtle95 wrote: Maurice should fix that..
Or I just didn't have a good enough look at the code. Either way this is irrelevant to a turrets mod.
Sentinel wrote:Is it ok if I replace the turret (graphics) when I use this mod? My turret is 16x16 and Im just wondering if it will cause bugs if I replace the default graphics.
We are an open source community, you may give it a try. You should however be aware of the fact that different sprite may lead to improper drawing of the arm (you should change it too) and overlaying fires. It could also brake the userect (if I had fixed it) meaning you will be grabbing the turret from distances you shouldn't or will not grab it from distances you should

Turtle95

Post » 17 Apr 2012, 20:48

fakeuser wrote:
Turtle95 wrote: Maurice should fix that..
Or I just didn't have a good enough look at the code. Either way this is irrelevant to a turrets mod.
Sentinel wrote:Is it ok if I replace the turret (graphics) when I use this mod? My turret is 16x16 and Im just wondering if it will cause bugs if I replace the default graphics.
We are an open source community, you may give it a try. You should however be aware of the fact that different sprite may lead to improper drawing of the arm (you should change it too) and overlaying fires. It could also brake the userect (if I had fixed it) meaning you will be grabbing the turret from distances you shouldn't or will not grab it from distances you should
BTW the sounds overlap regardless the % I use for playChanceSound. Am I doing something wrong?

fakeuser

Post » 18 Apr 2012, 00:42

Turtle95 wrote: BTW the sounds overlap regardless the % I use for playChanceSound. Am I doing something wrong?
Yes, indeed. As I said numerous times, the chancePlay function plays a sound with a given chance (like 30%). It however does not check whether a sound is playing (and it should not). And I also told you to add a elseif statement in the other function (playTurretSound) to check your logic.
Please send developer questions in pm. I'm sure topic readers don't really care about the developing process so let's leave it for user comments, reviews, bug submissions, updates and "what should/shouldn't be in" questions

Turtle95

Post » 18 Apr 2012, 03:39

fakeuser wrote:
Turtle95 wrote: BTW the sounds overlap regardless the % I use for playChanceSound. Am I doing something wrong?
Yes, indeed. As I said numerous times, the chancePlay function plays a sound with a given chance (like 30%). It however does not check whether a sound is playing (and it should not). And I also told you to add a elseif statement in the other function (playTurretSound) to check your logic.
Please send developer questions in pm. I'm sure topic readers don't really care about the developing process so let's leave it for user comments, reviews, bug submissions, updates and "what should/shouldn't be in" questions
Sorry. I was at school not thinking at the time XD

NEoNoxD

Post » 18 Apr 2012, 13:24

fakeuser wrote:
if he posts developer comments here, there is a bigger chance to get help, because there is more people, they see more than one :D and by the way i like seeing the process of developing a mod

NEoNoxD

Post » 18 Apr 2012, 13:29

Pyr0saur wrote:Yes, I meant bulletbills kill turrets. And I see you did a good job on that. As for dropping turrets, I'd say 3-5 blocks high would be good. And with the hitcounter: Maybe instead of blood, make Mario darken a bit, and die when he becomes too dark? And obviously he would become light again when he stops getting hit.

i like this idea it better fits in the game but its just ONE sprite, you should make an overlay that makes mario darker during the animation because if he moves the animation plays and if you get a shot mario have to get dark in the middle of the running sprite

sorry for grammar, i hope you understood what im saying

Pyrosaur

Post » 18 Apr 2012, 15:28

NEoNoxD wrote:
Pyr0saur wrote:Yes, I meant bulletbills kill turrets. And I see you did a good job on that. As for dropping turrets, I'd say 3-5 blocks high would be good. And with the hitcounter: Maybe instead of blood, make Mario darken a bit, and die when he becomes too dark? And obviously he would become light again when he stops getting hit.

i like this idea it better fits in the game but its just ONE sprite, you should make an overlay that makes mario darker during the animation because if he moves the animation plays and if you get a shot mario have to get dark in the middle of the running sprite

sorry for grammar, i hope you understood what im saying
I wasn't planning on it being just one sprite. That was just a demonstration of the animation.

NEoNoxD

Post » 18 Apr 2012, 16:27

Pyr0saur wrote:I wasn't planning on it being just one sprite. That was just a demonstration of the animation.
i think an overlay would be better, because you wont need to remake all the mario sprites

Camewel

Post » 18 Apr 2012, 16:29

In LOVE, you can easily darken sprites when drawing them.

rokit

Post » 18 Apr 2012, 17:51

Camewel wrote:In LOVE, you can easily darken sprites when drawing them.
It might darken the transparent, too.

Pyrosaur

Post » 18 Apr 2012, 18:09

rokit boy wrote:
I don't think transparency can be darkened.

rokit

Post » 18 Apr 2012, 18:27

Pyr0saur wrote:
rokit boy wrote:
If you wan't to make a square darker you put a black square on top of it, make it invisible and slide the transparency down a little bit every second or so. It also works if you have a transparent background.

trosh

Post » 18 Apr 2012, 18:47

yeah but if the square is just transparent it doesn't darken (I don't see your point lol)

Camewel

Post » 18 Apr 2012, 19:00

rokit boy wrote:
Pyr0saur wrote:
rokit boy wrote:It might darken the transparent, too.
If you wan't to make a square darker you put a black square on top of it, make it invisible and slide the transparency down a little bit every second or so. It also works if you have a transparent background.
The entire point of that post is so that you don't have to draw a square on it because you would have to make different shapes for all the different animations you really don't get it do you.

rokit

Post » 18 Apr 2012, 20:30

Camewel wrote:
rokit boy wrote:
Pyr0saur wrote: I don't think transparency can be darkened.
The entire point of that post is so that you don't have to draw a square on it because you would have to make different shapes for all the different animations you really don't get it do you.
I tried to darken a square in love2d... took the transparency too.

fakeuser

Post » 18 Apr 2012, 21:11

NEoNoxD wrote: if he posts developer comments here, there is a bigger chance to get help, because there is more people, they see more than one :D and by the way i like seeing the process of developing a mod
So how exactly are you supposed to give him a better answer about function written by myself? I don't see Maurice write posts like "damn... I forgot what this function does and don't care to read the comment above it. What am I doing wrong?". Besides you free to track process of creating, just take a look at the published code and the changelog.
rokit boy wrote: I tried to darken a square in love2d... took the transparency too.
Then you've done something wrong. Turret's arm has transparent background that is not darkened when drawn.

-------------

So.. you guys I think you didn't quite get what's the darkening problem. Mario sprites are drawn in the middle of a huge function. I am not willing to change the original file. I do not want to just replace it runtime (as it is most likely to be changed SOMEWHERE) in the next release and I can't really intercept it (do sth before and/or after the original function). For those of you who don't know, mario:draw is not invoked. Even if it was, mario sprites are already drawn by other function. That's why I do not want to implement this idea

P.s. should check what collecting a star does to the sprites. Maybe there is a workaround but don't bet on that

Edit: So.. it appears that there is a way to change mario colors just like starcolors. You will get lucky for next release!

Camewel

Post » 18 Apr 2012, 23:23

rokit boy wrote:
Camewel wrote:
rokit boy wrote:If you wan't to make a square darker you put a black square on top of it, make it invisible and slide the transparency down a little bit every second or so. It also works if you have a transparent background.
I tried to darken a square in love2d... took the transparency too.
The problem with what you've done is so obviously apparent that I want to leave you to work it out for yourself.