[MOD][1.6] Turrets (by Fakeuser) v0.6 release candidate

Mods, guides how to use and install mods go right in here.
fakeuser

Post » 14 Apr 2012, 05:22

General idea:
Yes, working turrets.

Features:
  • Left and right turret entity available in level editor
  • turrets are pushable and pickable
  • turrets make you bleed (replaced with darkening on demand) and take your hitpoints. Lose all of them and you die. Stay away from turrets and you regenerate them
  • big mario will first become small mario. Remeber - bigger equals easier to shoot
  • tilt them and you kill them
  • turrets die with explosion or in normal mario fashion. Depends on how you kill them
  • picked turrets will disable themselves and will not shoot... until you release them
  • Dying turrets become frenzy for a little while and shoot randomply
  • You may kill turrets in various ways: making them land on their side, emancipation grills, shoot them, fire them with laser, repulsion gel, stars, koopa shells, hit them with a block into a pit
  • Your friend - the companion cube renders you 50% imunity to bullets when held between you and the turret
  • Companion cube is solid enough defense when you hide behind it. It is however pushed by the large amount of bullets
Known issues:
  • crappy graphics. I'm not a designer so I really suck at this. Furthermore turret bullets are so tiny that I can't imagine a proper sprite for them
  • Shots get painted over menu overlay - this won't fix, as I do not want to change the original game_draw function.
  • userects are not properly defined - you may grab turrets even if you are not that near to them
  • Turret won't see you through a portal. And I'm too lazy to fix this.
  • You will not know how many hitpoints you have left... unless you use the developers console.
  • Running with orange-gel speed and facing blue gel will make you jump. I forgot to remove that part...
  • Due to unimplemented code bullets tend to harm you more when you are big and running away from turrets
Versions: Changelog:
  • 29 April 2012 - v0.6 release candidate. Skipping beta stage as there are not many bugs reported. Redesigned some lame code so now laser script doesn't force turrets to push buttons (and do who knows what else). Regeneration of all hit points is changed to 5 seconds. Some sounds have less chance to play. And that's all I think.
  • 20 April 2012 - v0.5 alpha. Mostly bugfixes that none noticed (hopefully). And some new sounds. Blood was replaced by darkening mario. Cubes now render you 50% chance to be missed by bullets (it was set to 100%). Also cubes that are not being held may be used for solid defence. They are however pushed by the bullets. Hitpoints were reduced to 50. Oh, and yes, nothing should be painted OVER the menu overlay.
  • 16 April 2012 - v0.4 alpha. A friend of mine took a peek in the bullets calculations. It's better now. Hitpoints reduced. Knocking turrets, collisions with blue gel, bulletibills kill them, faithplate jumping
  • 15 April 2012 - v0.3 alpha. New features such as shielding with lightbridges, shooting turrets with fireballs and shells, starcolliding. Some bugfixes too
  • 15 April 2012 (5:41) - second alpha. Thanks to Turtle95 sounds added and lasers now kill turrets. But only lasers and tilting... And some code redesigning
  • 14 April 2012 (6 o'clock) - first alpha released. Crappy graphics and lack of sounds but still working and shooting turrets
Credits:
  • Pyr0saur. It turns out he was the author of the turret sprites. Hooray for him and excuses for using without asking
  • Turtle95 was a true inspiration. I'm sure you often check his implementation for updates. Since the project was published Turtle95 has been of much help contributing code and resources
  • And let's hear for Maurice, the game maker. With my laziness I would have never coded this but he posted a really nice gif (in the Turtle's thread) and also posted part of the code
    Maurice wrote:I hate puzzles that involve turrets, and putting turrets in Mari0 would make people use them in their puzzles.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17466990/turretstuff.zip
How to use:
Judging by the comments some of you are still unfamiliar with using custom mods so here's a brief description. First of all you will need LOVE 0.8.0 (or later if already available). To get one consult the [https://love2d.org/]download section of love2d.org[/url]. After installing it download the mod (Releases section) - it will contain a love file. Execute it (double click on windows, love mod_name.love on linux) and that's all. Main game and mods can coexist but will share same settings and mappacks. Mods are not plugged into main game. They can however be plugged into another mods (search the forum for mod loader).

Mari0 Modding System version
If you use this loader, you are probably well aware how to install this mod but lets sum it up. Download the version. Make sure you have MMS loader. Extract the turrets folder from the archive to the mods folder in %APPDATA%/Love/mari0/mods. Launch MMS. Enjoy.

Maps
SO yes, it appears there are some mappacks after all
  • Turtle's mappack was the first as he was the first to start with turrets. Mappack is contained in this archive. The contained mod is outdated, so don't use it.
  • Portal 1 remake by jmv3597. Haven't tested it but has some nice reviews.
  • P0rtal the flash version remake. Again by jmv
  • Turrets showdown. This is not a real mappack but a single map I created. You will face many turrets and find various ways of killing them. Not all of them are presented though.
  • Mr.L"s trap by supermarioportal2 - judging by the screenshots a lot of enemies and stacked turrets will overwhelm you... Or you will kill them?
Last edited by fakeuser on 29 Apr 2012, 13:14, edited 16 times in total.

Lawnboy

Post » 14 Apr 2012, 05:47

Pretty good for an alpha. Me likey.

Zlmpery

Post » 14 Apr 2012, 05:51

Why not help Turtle95 with his instead of making a new topic?

Lawnboy

Post » 14 Apr 2012, 05:58

Zlmpery wrote:Why not help Turtle95 with his instead of making a new topic?
CUZ THIS IS AMERICA

Sky

Post » 14 Apr 2012, 06:24

Not necessarily.

12seth12

Post » 14 Apr 2012, 09:10

even Maurice isn't from America,

i'm from canada :3

renhoek

Post » 14 Apr 2012, 09:43

it's not the countries he not gonna help cuz
this is teh internetz it's against cyber law to help each other :P

idiot9.0

Post » 14 Apr 2012, 09:52

Very impressive. Not to be mean to Turtle or anything, but I'm far more impressed by what you've done. You actually have working turrets and everything.
My only suggestion to this is change the death explosions of the turrets. I like the explosion animation they have now, it just doesn't seem to fit in. Maybe it's just me. What I would suggest is just changing the explosion to the fire flower explosion animation, the one you see when a fireball hits a wall or enemy. To me, it would fit better. But that's just me. Do what you want with your mod, I'll be impressed either way.
Great work so far, hope you work out the bugs and stuff.

Flutter Skye

Post » 14 Apr 2012, 10:13

idiot9.0 wrote:Very impressive. Not to be mean to Turtle or anything, but I'm far more impressed by what you've done. You actually have working turrets and everything.
My only suggestion to this is change the death explosions of the turrets. I like the explosion animation they have now, it just doesn't seem to fit in. Maybe it's just me. What I would suggest is just changing the explosion to the fire flower explosion animation, the one you see when a fireball hits a wall or enemy. To me, it would fit better. But that's just me. Do what you want with your mod, I'll be impressed either way.
i aggre

fakeuser

Post » 14 Apr 2012, 12:15

Zlmpery wrote:Why not help Turtle95 with his instead of making a new topic?
No, I'm not American. Actually I was helping him with his mod this is a new implementation not based on his but only Maurice's code. His implementation is based on box extending and modifying original game files, mine is just about interceptions. The outcome may be similar but Turtle would have had to rewrite all of his code in order to do things like I see them. Benefits: this mod could be easily ported to be loaded even by your hat loader. However if Turtle gets that offended I could remove mine...
idiot9.0 wrote:You actually have working turrets and everything.
Well the trickiest part was already made by Maurice...
idiot9.0 wrote:My only suggestion to this is change the death explosions of the turrets. I like the explosion animation they have now, it just doesn't seem to fit in. Maybe it's just me.
It was just out of the question trying to assimilate another piece of Maurice's code that late in the night. Maybe in next release

Edit: I just remembered - main reason for introducing explosions is that I need to get rid of turret corpses somehow. It would be pretty strange for it just to fall offscreen if it just fell on its side. In fact it would be awkward to see it fall off screen if it did not collide with Mario (or sth). Ideas?

idiot9.0

Post » 14 Apr 2012, 12:37

fakeuser wrote:I just remembered - main reason for introducing explosions is that I need to get rid of turret corpses somehow. It would be pretty strange for it just to fall offscreen if it just fell on its side. In fact it would be awkward to see it fall off screen if it did not collide with Mario (or sth). Ideas?
Well, what I was thinking is just replacing the explosion you have now with the explosion that happens when a fireball hits an enemy or wall. Kinda like this:
This way the explosion looks, you know, Mario-y. Plus the corpse goes away. Win-win.
Anyway, that's my suggestion.

Camewel

Post » 14 Apr 2012, 12:59

Mario has way too many hitpoints. I can replace the goomba at the start of 1-1 with a turret and walk over to it before it kills me.

NEoNoxD

Post » 14 Apr 2012, 13:06

idiot9.0 wrote:Very impressive. Not to be mean to Turtle or anything, but I'm far more impressed by what you've done. You actually have working turrets and everything.
lol, he just used maurice's turtle code which is written to help turtle and fakeuser stole his idea instead of helping turtle..
No, I'm not American. Actually I was helping him with his mod this is a new implementation not based on his but only Maurice's code. His implementation is based on box extending and modifying original game files, mine is just about interceptions. The outcome may be similar but Turtle would have had to rewrite all of his code in order to do things like I see them. Benefits: this mod could be easily ported to be loaded even by your hat loader. However if Turtle gets that offended I could remove mine...
okay, then i read this and tought for a moment :D

trosh

Post » 14 Apr 2012, 13:09

I like idiot's animation though it could be made nicer, maybe with falling parts like when you break a brick in smb.
There's something kinda wrong with the collisions with bullets : running away from the turret makes get shot waaay more than when running towards the turret.

idiot9.0

Post » 14 Apr 2012, 13:11

NEoNoxD wrote:lol, he just used maurice's turtle code which is written to help turtle and fakeuser stole his idea instead of helping turtle..
Well, the way I see it after reading turtle's thread about his version, Maurice was trying to help, and turtle was either a) ignoring it, or b) trying to overcomplicate things. Fakeuser did the right thing by using the code Maurice made, and actually making it work. No offense here, but Turtle could've just done what fakeuser has.

NEoNoxD

Post » 14 Apr 2012, 13:13

i edited my comment, and added "del" tag to that sentence, and so, yes, fakeuser did it right.

Camewel

Post » 14 Apr 2012, 13:21

trosh wrote:I like idiot's animation though it could be made nicer, maybe with falling parts like when you break a brick in smb.
There's something kinda wrong with the collisions with bullets : running away from the turret makes get shot waaay more than when running towards the turret.
Well then don't flee from battle.
I'm fairly sure the real reason this happens is that the bullets can go through Mario very easily, I don't think he checked for tunnelling.

jmv3597

Post » 14 Apr 2012, 14:49

i think to go through a portal you only need to extend the traceline of the turrets vision but maybe i'm wrong. i'm not that good at coding

Maurice
Stabyourself.net

Post » 14 Apr 2012, 14:54

You'd have to change the traceline function (or recursively call it as long as the returned cox, coy is a portal block) to allow bullets to go through portals.

fakeuser

Post » 14 Apr 2012, 15:18

idiot9.0 wrote: Well, what I was thinking is just replacing the explosion you have now with the explosion that happens when a fireball hits an enemy or wall. Kinda like this:
Didn't think about that but like the idea. I'll have to investigate original code to see how it's done.
Camewel wrote:Mario has way too many hitpoints. I can replace the goomba at the start of 1-1 with a turret and walk over to it before it kills me.
They are not that many if you are right near to a frenzy turret or when you are big. This is caused by *see below*
trosh wrote: There's something kinda wrong with the collisions with bullets : running away from the turret makes get shot waaay more than when running towards the turret.
As for now only aabb collisions are checked (because I was in a rush to release before go to sleep). So all Portal players know the laws of physics - your relative speed is smaller when you are running away, so aabb has a higher probability chance. I am going to fix it soon.
Maurice wrote:You'd have to change the traceline function (or recursively call it as long as the returned cox, coy is a portal block) to allow bullets to go through portals.
I like the recursion idea. It will however lead to more complicated graphics still not impossible. I believe extending the traceline function is your work, as it's in the original game files. Anyway, I didn't get to understand what cox stands for and what is the main difference between it and x

Maurice
Stabyourself.net

Post » 14 Apr 2012, 15:31

cox and coy are the tile coordinates of the found block, x and y are the exact point (Either in screen or block coordinates, I forgot)

Turtle95

Post » 14 Apr 2012, 15:43

I'll edit your files for the sounds if you would like. And the graphics. And them dying from lasers. Just lemme know :)

Wow I was an inspiration. Thx.

EDIT: I PM'd fakeuser an update with sounds, but since he isn't here yet, I'll join up with him in making turrets the best mod!

http://www.mediafire.com/?nsf9iu99j99ayge

This contains the mod with updates, such as sound and dying from emancipation grills and lasers. It also has a small mappack you guys will enjoy.

Mari0Lu1g1

Post » 14 Apr 2012, 18:53

How do you use it? Can't find it in entities...

Turtle95

Post » 14 Apr 2012, 18:58

Mari0Lu1g1 wrote:How do you use it? Can't find it in entities...
It should be there. Look near the bottom of the rows. The bottom area.

Also fix:

http://www.mediafire.com/?4u46156hfudx8i8

I will add GLaDOS but only if you guys reaaaally want her to speak. It'd be a new entity and all.

DjShadFox

Post » 14 Apr 2012, 21:17

Turtle95 wrote:

Also fix:

I will add GLaDOS but only if you guys reaaaally want her to speak. It'd be a new entity and all.
I don't know, what you did with mod, but now turrets looks awful. It's strange, because in archive all sprites are perfect 0_o

Maybe, you made mistake with x and y?

Turtle95

Post » 14 Apr 2012, 21:40

DjShadFox wrote:
Turtle95 wrote:

Also fix:

I don't know, what you did with mod, but now turrets looks awful. It's strange, because in archive all sprites are perfect 0_o

The height has to be fixed is all. Not sure if me or fakeuser will do that. It's up to him I think.

ERich935

Post » 15 Apr 2012, 00:27

I have no idea how to load mods onto Mari0 at all so could you post a link to a tutorial on how to do so? It would be appreciated.

Turtle95

Post » 15 Apr 2012, 01:06

Just unzip the files. Find the love file and run it if you have love 0.8.0 installed

fakeuser

Post » 15 Apr 2012, 01:29

Turtle95 wrote:
DjShadFox wrote: I don't know, what you did with mod, but now turrets looks awful. It's strange, because in archive all sprites are perfect 0_o
The height has to be fixed is all. Not sure if me or fakeuser will do that. It's up to him I think.
You guys really don't have some eggs to smash? Turtle changed the graphics, I like Maurice's better. I'm going to examine Turtle's code and plug it into mine, then update first post (e.g. thanks to him turrets will be set on fire and killed by lasers). This however requires some redesigning as Turtle likes modding the original files and I change that to interceptions.
ERich935 wrote:I have no idea how to load mods onto Mari0 at all so could you post a link to a tutorial on how to do so? It would be appreciated.
First post updated. Check there for brief instructions (if you haven't already figured out what to do yourself)

Lone Wolf

Post » 15 Apr 2012, 03:05

Hey turtle, the turret says "Target Aquired" when Mario goes OUT of sight.

Turtle95

Post » 15 Apr 2012, 03:44

fakeuser wrote:
Turtle95 wrote:
DjShadFox wrote: I don't know, what you did with mod, but now turrets looks awful. It's strange, because in archive all sprites are perfect 0_o
You guys really don't have some eggs to smash? Turtle changed the graphics, I like Maurice's better. I'm going to examine Turtle's code and plug it into mine, then update first post (e.g. thanks to him turrets will be set on fire and killed by lasers). This however requires some redesigning as Turtle likes modding the original files and I change that to interceptions.
ERich935 wrote:I have no idea how to load mods onto Mari0 at all so could you post a link to a tutorial on how to do so? It would be appreciated.
First post updated. Check there for brief instructions (if you haven't already figured out what to do yourself)
Sorry. The fire sprites only worked with my current sprites. :/

fakeuser

Post » 15 Apr 2012, 04:49

Turtle95 wrote: Sorry. The fire sprites only worked with my current sprites. :/
Yeah, I noticed that. Fixed with overlaying flames. I'm sure nobody will like them.

Updated to 0.2 alpha
Most (if not all) of what Turtle sent me is in there. Interesting things for you are sounds and laserdeath. You may download the new update from the link in the first post or from http://www.mediafire.com/?guc4e8et6xp3yjf Feel free to comment how annoyed are you and which sounds of. I stumbled into a glitch that makes turrets repeat "Shutting down" with no "Target aquired" but could not reproduce it. And no, no updates on bullet collisions with Mario.

Edit: link was broken
Last edited by fakeuser on 15 Apr 2012, 05:03, edited 1 time in total.

jmv3597

Post » 15 Apr 2012, 04:58

fakeuser wrote:Yeah, I noticed that. Fixed with overlaying flames. I'm sure nobody will like them.

Updated to 0.2 alpha
Most (if not all) of what Turtle sent me is in there. Interesting things for you are sounds and laserdeath. You may download the new update from the link in the first post or from http://www.mediafire.com/?guc4e8et6xp3yjfv Feel free to comment how annoyed are you and which sounds of. I stumbled into a glitch that makes turrets repeat "Shutting down" with no "Target aquired" but could not reproduce it. And no, no updates on bullet collisions with Mario.
download link is broken

fakeuser

Post » 15 Apr 2012, 05:04

jmv3597 wrote: download link is broken
Sorry about that. Should be fine now?

jmv3597

Post » 15 Apr 2012, 05:13

fakeuser wrote:
jmv3597 wrote: download link is broken
Sorry about that. Should be fine now?
yeah its fixed. thanks!

EDIT: will you eventually add, where if you drop them from a certain height they die?

billyboy802

Post » 15 Apr 2012, 08:48

Turrets shoot and see through light bridges... fix able?

fakeuser

Post » 15 Apr 2012, 15:06

Implemented, had some minor bugs. Will be in for next release
Also turrets will be pushed by lightbridges just like mario and boxes.

fakeuser

Post » 15 Apr 2012, 19:17

jmv3597 wrote:EDIT: will you eventually add, where if you drop them from a certain height they die?
Just saw that. Well it's easy to make them die if they are falling. Anyway I don't want to do that - if the turret lands on its feet it should not die. What you should ask for is extending the game physics so objects get rotated when held by mario or while falling. However this is out of this mod goals

12seth12

Post » 15 Apr 2012, 19:39

Maybe you could make it so that if you push the turret into a wall, you push it over or something >_<
Just a thought.

Turtle95

Post » 15 Apr 2012, 19:44

If it's OK fakeuser, I'll try to do turrets seeing another die. I also tried thinking about that lightbridge idea XD

Turtle95

Post » 15 Apr 2012, 20:02

Lone Wolf wrote:Hey turtle, the turret says "Target Aquired" when Mario goes OUT of sight.
Yea, I think he fixed that in 0.2 alpha--I should check.

EDIT:

Turrets shouldn't target you when on fire am I right? Done.

fakeuser

Post » 15 Apr 2012, 22:55

Turtle95 wrote: Turrets shouldn't target you when on fire am I right? Done.
Absolutely right

12seth12 wrote:Maybe you could make it so that if you push the turret into a wall, you push it over or something >_<
Just a thought.
I didn't quite get your thought

Updated to v0.3 alpha
Changes:
  • Lightbridges now push turrets like boxes and cover you when shooted at
  • Hit the brick below a turret and it will bounce like a mushroom. It will not die. On purpose
  • It is so pointless to allow somebody to shoot fireballs at turrets but now the kill them
  • sliding koopa shells kill turrets
  • shot animation replaced with default mario jump-off-screen animation. Explosions only when turret was set on fire and when collecting a star with a turret picked up
  • "target aquired" and "shutting down" sounds are with (almost) equal levels
  • shot turrets give points now (200)
  • bugfix - now you can't go through solid walls... unless you use a base game glitch
  • redone part of the bullet's collision code so now it looks better. Still not perfect. Maybe Camewel was right and hitpoints should be reduced
  • now deleting unneeded objects from game table. I guess nobody noticed that they were flooded with dead bullets or turrets...
What I forgot - turrets will use faithplates (I hope. Haven't looked at the code)
You may grab the new version from http://www.mediafire.com/?xk68k7dyukstqr4

ERich935

Post » 15 Apr 2012, 23:49

Turtle95 wrote:Just unzip the files. Find the love file and run it if you have love 0.8.0 installed
Yeeaahh... about that... when I went to the website to download it, turns out it said the site is untrusted.

jmv3597

Post » 16 Apr 2012, 00:10

ERich935 wrote:Yeeaahh... about that... when I went to the website to download it, turns out it said the site is untrusted.
what do you mean, mediafire? every person here pretty much uses it. its relatively safe

trosh

Post » 16 Apr 2012, 00:11

what ? mediafire ? everyone uses that. It doesn't mean it's trusted and anyone could upload anything, but you can trust us. And as long as it's a .love file there's no possible harm (at the worst a .love file could go in a loop and clog your memory forcing you to restart your pc but that's it no harm).
EDIT :
+ 93 % ranking on WebOfTrust http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/www.mediafire.com
+ 63rd most visited site on the web according to Alexa http://www.alexa.com/search?q=www.mediafire.com
Last edited by trosh on 16 Apr 2012, 00:14, edited 1 time in total.

Turtle95

Post » 16 Apr 2012, 00:13

ERich935 wrote:
Turtle95 wrote:Just unzip the files. Find the love file and run it if you have love 0.8.0 installed
Yeeaahh... about that... when I went to the website to download it, turns out it said the site is untrusted.
Meh. There's gotta be another way to do this then. AIM or something? I don't think anyone wants that. Hm.. Any ideas?

FYI I used to have that problem. What antivirus are you using? Some get false-positives. AVG is one of them.

Pyrosaur

Post » 16 Apr 2012, 01:30

Is it a coincidence the turrets look almost exactly like my design?
Anyway, this looks pretty good. Nice job.

idiot9.0

Post » 16 Apr 2012, 01:41

Pyr0saur wrote:Is it a coincidence the turrets look almost exactly like my design?
*whispers* it's because yours was good and fit in with the mario theme, unlike the rest of them.
Besides, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :P

Pyrosaur

Post » 16 Apr 2012, 01:51

idiot9.0 wrote:
Pyr0saur wrote:Is it a coincidence the turrets look almost exactly like my design?
*whispers* it's because yours was good and fit in with the mario theme, unlike the rest of them.
Besides, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :P
Thanks, I don't know why Turtle95 didn't get that. :p
Anyway, I'm guessing he thought it was Maurice's design rather than mine. I don't mind that he uses it(I'm flattered, actually), as long as I get credit.

fakeuser

Post » 16 Apr 2012, 01:54

You won't believe it... But you should ask Maurice the same question, as turret image was provided with the initial code, so yes, he may have used yours.
Disclaimer: I did not made the graphics, as I said I am no designer. Graphics in use are in-game, provided by Maurices initial code or from some sprite database...
So do you have any problem with me using your images?

I bet some Valve guys are about to show and ask questions about sounds...

Edit: There, you are in the credits section (;
Last edited by fakeuser on 16 Apr 2012, 01:58, edited 1 time in total.