Triangle Block (Request/Suggestion)

Mods, guides how to use and install mods go right in here.
JJokerDude

Post » 06 Apr 2012, 18:32

This isn't necessarily a full-fledged request, but something that could be interesting. I was just curious as to whether this would be possible enough.

The triangle block, for those of you who don't know, is a pink block from Super Mario World, which allows Mario to run up an adjacent wall at a 90º angle. When he reaches the end of the wall, he will continue running on top of the wall, and then fall when that platform ends. This idea was re-introduced using the Super Mario Advance 4 e-reader card stages, and upside-down triangle blocks were introduced.
Example here, at about 30 seconds in:

Anyway, since Mario is able to rotate (when jumping into a 180º portal on the ground and coming out of a 90º portal on a wall) maybe these blocks could be utilized somehow. Essentially, when Mario runs up one, it would alter Mario's gravity, treating the 45º block and the 90º wall like the ground, until Mario stops running. I'm not sure if I explained that well enough, but hopefully the video helps. So yeah, just a thought.

Camewel

Post » 06 Apr 2012, 18:41

I'm fairly sure it was very scripted movement when you touched these things. Doesn't sound particularly hard to implement, depends on what mood Maurice is in.

trosh

Post » 06 Apr 2012, 18:47

maurice would tell you it's way too much work for the outcome (but i wouldn't say so)
I would tell you bla bla bla it's not in the original gameplay bla bla but then people would say what about slopes what about portals baaah
saso would lock this thread lol
other than that you do realise this would require a huge rewrite of much of the game to allow mario to suddenly walk sideways / backwards. not mentioning the presence of slopes : (would the triangle be portalable ?)

LightningFire

Post » 06 Apr 2012, 18:53

I'm pretty sure Maurice said that he only puts stuff from SMB and Portal 1 and 2, nothing else. But I do think this is a great idea!

kvg

Post » 06 Apr 2012, 19:25

Portal does have inclinated surfaces :)

trosh

Post » 06 Apr 2012, 20:37

but mari0 doesn't (yet)

PloXyZeRO

Post » 06 Apr 2012, 22:51

Personally, I think Super Mario World + Portal games would be better, but of course that's never going to happen because most of the game would need to be remade. One thing that I really like about SMW over SMB is that you can pick up turtle shells. That would make for some great multiplayer, and could be sort of like the New Super Mario Bros. versus mode.

trosh

Post » 06 Apr 2012, 23:37

you can pick shells in smb3. One of the reasons people are so fond of it it seems.

renhoek

Post » 07 Apr 2012, 03:02

some people prefere smb3 to smw and vice versa,
I personally like smb3 more mainly because of it's many power ups (has the most power ups in a mario game I've ever seen)
it's many different and unique worlds,
it's beutiful level features,
every world felt very different than the last,

smw just felt like world 1 exept with different level designs.
still smw is a great game but smb3 is my fav.

On-topic
I loved these blocks in smw and when I found out they were going to be in smb3 advance I got really exited... And never got to play those levels :(

but yeah this would probably be to hard to implament,
only reason slopes were put in was because portal techniqually did have slopes.

JJokerDude

Post » 07 Apr 2012, 23:12

All valid points, although I had a feeling this wouldn't actually be implemented, because it isn't from Portal or SMB. I was just kind of curious to see how many people would be interested in such a thing. However the more I think about it, the more I think they would make things interesting.

I don't know very much about coding, let alone the coding used for this game or Super Mario World, but I imagined it would simply override Mario's gravity so that the wall beneath him would be treated like the floor. Also, I envisioned it working like a sprite (even though it's an object in SMW), so that the portals would go through it.

Very off-topic, but I think Maurice should add the ability to pick up shells using the E key, treating it like a companion cube. That should be easier, right? Plus, it's a Portal feature. Also, even MORE off-topic, no-clip mode should be a cheat.

renhoek

Post » 08 Apr 2012, 03:26

coding doesn't seem like the issue
he said he won't do slopes or online for a very long time...
it's been like a week since he said that.

PloXyZeRO

Post » 08 Apr 2012, 22:13

xXxrenhoekxXx wrote:coding doesn't seem like the issue
he said he won't do slopes or online for a very long time...
it's been like a week since he said that.
Which is kind of ironic because he has videos/pictures of both already!

There's also some code in source code that mentions servers and stuff, I'm hoping that online will be released in Mari0 1.7 (or 2.0, whatever it's called)