[Tutorial] Compiling the .love files to .exe or .app

Mods, guides how to use and install mods go right in here.
jmv3597

Post » 19 Mar 2012, 23:46

If you downloaded a .love file mod and you want it to be a .exe then folow these steps:

1) Download LOVE 0.8: go to the bottom of https://love2d.org/builds/ and download love. Be sure to check if you need to downlaod the x86 or x64 version
2) Copy the love file to the same directory you extract LOVE to.
3) Open command prompt and go to the directory where it is stored by typing "cd /d <directory where the files are>"
4) Execute the following command: "copy /B love.exe+<name of .love> <target name (.exe)>"

If any these steps are worded weird or don't make sense then just ask.'

MAC
As of 0.6.1, it is now easier to create ready-to-distribute stand-alone Love games by following these steps:

First create a copy of the löve.app
Right-click (Control+Click if you have one button) to bring up the contextual menu and select "Show Package Contents"
Navigate to Contents/Resources/. There should be two .icns files in there. Copy your already prepared .love file into Resources.
That's all you need to do to make an executable OS X Love game. Follow the next few steps if you wish to make it more your own... If you notice when you launch the game, the Dock icon is still the default löve icon and the title is "love". If you wish to change this, all you need is a small amount of computer knowledge and the right tools. A text editor, or the OS X Property List Editor.app which comes with the Developers tools on the install disc. You can use either, but the PLE is easier to understand. The file you need to modify is the info.plist file located in the Contents folder. Once opened in PLE, you will see a list of "properties". You only need to change a couple: (Make sure to double-click the "Value" column and not the "Key".

Bundle identifier - Make this something like com.yourcompany.whatever
Bundle name - Changes the title in the Dock
Bundle OS Type code
Bundle creator OS Type code - Make these unique so .love files don't open with your game
Icon file - Optionally if you wish to make your icon a different file name. You could just replace the icon itself if you wanted to without renaming it though

Sorry if Mac one doesnt work i cant test it as I use windows.
Last edited by jmv3597 on 12 Apr 2012, 01:48, edited 5 times in total.

rokit

Post » 19 Mar 2012, 23:49

This, is, useless. I can name you 5 more threads on the LOVE forums.
No, not everybody is on windows x86, this makes it even more useless.
This tutorial is useless because it doesn't hurt to download LOVE yourself, so you can just run the love file.

jmv3597

Post » 19 Mar 2012, 23:51

rokit boy wrote:This, is, useless. I can name you 5 more threads on the LOVE forums.
This tutorial is useless because it doesn't hurt to download LOVE yourself, so you can just run the love file.

This is mainly for if you want to have a modded .exe so you can use it other computers that do not have love

Camewel

Post » 19 Mar 2012, 23:52

Shut up rokit boy.
This isn't useless at all, just because a tutorial exists elsewhere, doesn't hurt to post it here.
And if you hadn't noticed, pretty much all .exe downloads of love files use windows x86.

rokit

Post » 19 Mar 2012, 23:53

jmv3597 wrote:
rokit boy wrote:This, is, useless. I can name you 5 more threads on the LOVE forums.

This is mainly for if you want to have a modded .exe so you can use it other computers that do not have love
Well technically, they can just download LOVE. It doesn't sting like when a bee sings you in the middle finger. Ouch, that happened to me recently, but some ice did the trick.

On topic:
Change the download, not everybody is on windows.

jmv3597

Post » 19 Mar 2012, 23:54

rokit boy wrote:
jmv3597 wrote:

Well technically, they can just download LOVE. It doesn't sting like when a bee sings you in the middle finger. Ouch, that happened to me recently, but some ice did the trick.

On topic:
Change the download, not everybody is on windows.
okay sorry should i just put the builds page up?

Camewel

Post » 19 Mar 2012, 23:55

rokit boy wrote:Change the download, not everybody is on windows.
[Tutorial] Compiling the .love files if you want a .exe
if you want a .exe
.exe
Come on rokit boy

jmv3597

Post » 19 Mar 2012, 23:57

Camewel wrote:
rokit boy wrote:Change the download, not everybody is on windows.
[Tutorial] Compiling the .love files if you want a .exe
if you want a .exe
.exe
Come on rokit boy
i didnt even realize seriously listen to camelwel i said .exe so it obviously is for windows but i will add a x64 love downlaod

rokit

Post » 20 Mar 2012, 00:00

As in to make this tutorial useful, add a tutorial so you can compile it to .app or anything else, lots of people on these forums are using mac or linux or any other UNIX like system.

Camewel

Post » 20 Mar 2012, 00:02

The linux download is just the source, and the mac one requires a totally different tutorial that jmv probably knows nothing about.

trosh

Post » 20 Mar 2012, 00:04

well these people mostly understood how to install love-unstable or the strange mac app things and don't need your tutorials. I repeat, love is the "main" way of running mari0; the executable is just for windows users who aren't capable of looking around for another program and who just want to click double click click everywhere.

jmv3597

Post » 20 Mar 2012, 00:12

rokit boy wrote:As in to make this tutorial useful, add a tutorial so you can compile it to .app or anything else, lots of people on these forums are using mac or linux or any other UNIX like system.
sorry but i have no idea how to do that as i use windows

if you use on of those you search for yourself. sorry.

jmv3597

Post » 24 Mar 2012, 04:21

rokit boy wrote:As in to make this tutorial useful, add a tutorial so you can compile it to .app or anything else, lots of people on these forums are using mac or linux or any other UNIX like system.

OK i added how to compile to .app i think but i cant test it so have fun!

PloXyZeRO

Post » 12 Apr 2012, 07:00

Is it possible to compile mac/linux files on Windows?
I'm almost positive you could compile Windows/Mac files from linux though :P

trosh

Post » 12 Apr 2012, 13:22

argghh, stop using "compile" everywhere :P if you have a valid source code you can compile it anywhere.
you can use wine to run executable windows files on *NIX, don't know about the opposite.

Qcode

Post » 15 Apr 2012, 05:35