How to install Mods on Mac?

Mods, guides how to use and install mods go right in here.
SuperScourge

Post » 21 Mar 2013, 01:05

Okay I'm new to using Love engine and I've downloaded it now how do I install this mod? - viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2503 and I have no idea on how to install or use it I wanna mod my current Mari0 so I have 16-bit styled all the way and I could build a special Level Pack that uses this SNES mod I would love to play with.

I've tried my main home library folder's application support and just see Settings and mappacks in the folder.

Qcode

Post » 21 Mar 2013, 01:06

Last edited by Qcode on 21 Oct 2021, 17:18, edited 1 time in total.

SuperScourge

Post » 21 Mar 2013, 01:39

Qcode wrote:Go to this thread viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3083#whatmod
I've already seen it but I can't figure out if this is a minor problem within' the SNES one I like to use..oh well. - it doesn't say how to mod on the mac version for which I know where it goes at least.

Qcode

Post » 21 Mar 2013, 02:37

Last edited by Qcode on 21 Oct 2021, 17:18, edited 1 time in total.

SuperScourge

Post » 21 Mar 2013, 02:46

Qcode wrote:Go to the love webpage. Download the file entitled love 0.8.0 for mac os x. Extract that zip file, move the application wherever you want to. Then double click the .love file of the snes mod.
I could also use the the original Mari0 too and make it SNES Styled and it will work so I'm gonna do it!

Superjustinbros

Post » 21 Mar 2013, 06:48

Make sure you compress all the files inside the folder containing your mod and not the folder itself, then re-name it [filename].love and it can run in LOVE.

A bit of a heads up, the downloadable source for Mari0 is missing the exclamation point in the text.png file, but it's present in all other downloads available. Otherwise, good luck!

SuperScourge

Post » 22 Mar 2013, 00:58

Superjustinbros wrote:Make sure you compress all the files inside the folder containing your mod and not the folder itself, then re-name it [filename].love and it can run in LOVE.

A bit of a heads up, the downloadable source for Mari0 is missing the exclamation point in the text.png file, but it's present in all other downloads available. Otherwise, good luck!
I would love to reuse the original 1.6 release of Mari0 but when I use that same folder and zip it it and then renamed .zip into .love and put it on the app it says that main.lau needs be on top or something

Error

Boot.lua:335: No Code to run
Your game might be packaged incorrectly
Make sure main.lua is at the top level of the zip

Trackback

[C]: in function 'error'
[C]: in function 'xpcall'

How do I properly zip this if I wanted to use the source file or the main actual file from but when I have it unzipped and just add .love to it's folder and run it it works just fine.

Qcode

Post » 22 Mar 2013, 01:00

Last edited by Qcode on 21 Oct 2021, 17:17, edited 1 time in total.

SuperScourge

Post » 22 Mar 2013, 01:53

Qcode wrote:
SuperScourge wrote: I would love to reuse the original 1.6 release of Mari0 but when I use that same folder and zip it it and then renamed .zip into .love and put it on the app it says that main.lau needs be on top or something
How do I properly zip this if I wanted to use the source file or the main actual file from but when I have it unzipped and just add .love to it's folder and run it it works just fine.
SJB already answered your question.
Superjustinbros wrote:Make sure you compress all the files inside the folder containing your mod and not the folder itself, then re-name it [filename].love and it can run in LOVE.
I tried it even when I made my own folder with the copied stuff and compressed it and renamed it to .love and it doesn't boot up I'm not familiar with using Terminal to Zip it up to .love which I have trouble to make it zipped with it

Nevermind I found out by this love wiki that I must compress the main files into a .zip and then rename it to .love as stated here

In both cases, there has to be a file called main.lua in the startup path or .love zipfile. This file will be loaded when LÖVE starts. If this file is missing, LÖVE will not recognize the folder or .love file as game, and it will complain about a wrongly packaged game. A frequently made mistake is zipping the folder rather than its contents. This stems from very old practice (because when you unzip a folder you don't want it to splash out all over your current directory), but for LÖVE doing that doesn't make sense: you need to zip the game folder's contents only, to get a correct .love.

Qcode

Post » 22 Mar 2013, 02:02

Last edited by Qcode on 21 Oct 2021, 17:17, edited 1 time in total.

SuperScourge

Post » 22 Mar 2013, 02:21

Qcode wrote:Here, I've taken screenshots to help you.
First you should have this, simply files and folders.
Select all the files using Command-A
Hit compress 80 (may be more if you add files) items
Find the "archive.zip" file that should show up in the folder
Then finally, change .zip to .love
I figured it out I looked onto the page on how to make one by reading the wiki that said it so I'm good now.