Logic gates and a few shenanigans (unfinished WIP)

Mapping related threads and questions go in here!
TiagoTiago

Post » 10 Mar 2012, 12:09

I made this 'cause i wanted to see if i could figure out how to do it (and if Mari0 would let me), and 'cause perhaps this might be useful for serious mapmakers;

The first level shows the AND, the OR and the XOR gates (i think pretty much all other gates can be achieved by using the inverter tile on the output and/or the inputs and combining multiple gates); almost no polish whatsoever was applied to this; and there are probably better ways to do it.

On the second level i just went a bit "freehand"; first "room" has an "airlock"; second room has sequenced doors you must go thru fast or it's gonna rain goombas on ya; then there is this place where the goombas trigger their own doom, by walking over a toggle switch enough times, when they're done setting up their doom the vertical lightbridge stopping you from going will be switched off (watch your head though, somtimes not all goombas are gone by that time ); and finally a place where i started to experiment with making a programmable display, long story short, it started lagging the game even with just a single hardcoded character, and it was way too much work to get even just the proof of concept to work at all, dunno if i'll ever finish that.

You're not supposed to use portals, there is no time or lifes limit, this was mostly just to get a working proof of concept to show to people so they can implement the techniques in levels that are meant to be more game like; if anyone does find this interesting/usefull/etc at all of course.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/35770047/Logic% ... nigans.zip (my first time using Dropbox to share files in this manner, please lemme know if somthing goes wrong)
Last edited by TiagoTiago on 10 Mar 2012, 12:28, edited 3 times in total.

auzura

Post » 10 Mar 2012, 12:20

not sure if you zipped it right, as when I opened it, it just displayed the contents.

made my own folder and am checking it out now

TiagoTiago

Post » 10 Mar 2012, 12:24

Oh yeah, i forgot to zip the folder instead of just the files; creating a new folder in the right place and extracting the contents of the zip should suffice i believe.

DiamondPhoenix

Post » 10 Mar 2012, 12:26

Wow! thats some nice work here!
2-1 had some slowdown for me.

Cant wait for the complete mappack!

auzura

Post » 10 Mar 2012, 12:32

Well damn. I thought I was being all smart like with my stuff.

For the or, are the lasers activating that input from the side?

Didn't know that was a thing. Not sure if intentional or not. But I will use this.

auzura

Post » 10 Mar 2012, 12:41

And I didn't think about using doors to slow down the process. Man I feel dumb.
Thanks for the info dude.

TiagoTiago

Post » 10 Mar 2012, 12:42

auzura wrote:Well damn. I thought I was being all smart like with my stuff.

For the or, are the lasers activating that input from the side?

Didn't know that was a thing. Not sure if intentional or not. But I will use this.
At first i stumbled on the fact lasers go thru the detectors, that made me curious and i found out the sensors don't care about the direction of the lasers as long as they go thru the tile you place the sensor on; so in some spots i picked specific orientations of the sensor for aesthetic purposes or simply to keep it easier to see what was where.