Mari0: AP&P - Worlds 1 thru 4 (NOW with custom backgrounds!)

Mapping related threads and questions go in here!
rAALph SiC

Post » 10 Mar 2012, 05:34

This is only worlds 1 thru 4 of Mari0: Advanced Portals & Plumbers. The other half will be up as soon as they are finished.. i've just been getting bugged to put more worlds out. enjoy!

Download NOW! from Mediafire http://www.mediafire.com/mari0_ap&p_world_1 (same link for this updated pack)
****(a note in case downloading files seems confusing) the downloads are labeled DEMO for world 1, and the others, contain worlds 1 thru 4, one with custom backgrounds, one without
** credits for custom tiles and music is in 'creditsreadme.txt'
1-1
ImageImageImageImage

1-2
ImageImageImageImage

1-3
ImageImageImage

1-4
The early worlds are very SMB inspired. the later worlds more incorporate switches, lasers, blocks, etc.. let me know what you think!

cheers, rrrrAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALph
Last edited by rAALph SiC on 26 Mar 2012, 09:34, edited 14 times in total.

SpocKirk

Post » 10 Mar 2012, 05:52

Please package all the files into a .zip for easier distribution. The screens look good!

rAALph SiC

Post » 10 Mar 2012, 06:13

SpocKirk wrote:Please package all the files into a .zip for easier distribution. The screens look good!
oh shit... gimme a few

EDIT: ok RAR'd the pack and reupped to mediafire. all should be well now. and thanx

hufix123

Post » 10 Mar 2012, 08:31

GREAT MAP!

newguy

Post » 10 Mar 2012, 16:58

This may be one of the best mappacks yet. I hope it gets packaged as DLC. I really like the classic level design and how many regions are set up in a way which doesn't require portals, but proper portal use is a big help. Honestly, can't praise this pack enough and I hope the author expands it to include more worlds.

Mariop'

Post » 10 Mar 2012, 18:52

Nice map !
I like how you built your level ends (awesome castles, or the hole, it's pretty nice !)

Everything I can reproach is a lake of checkpoints at the 4th level, the Hammer Bro's killed me every time, so I would have liked a checkpoint before :3
But anyway, nice work ! :D

(Sorry for bad english, I'm French ;3)

rokit

Post » 10 Mar 2012, 18:57

dl broken

rAALph SiC

Post » 10 Mar 2012, 19:03

newguy wrote:This may be one of the best mappacks yet. I hope it gets packaged as DLC. I really like the classic level design and how many regions are set up in a way which doesn't require portals, but proper portal use is a big help. Honestly, can't praise this pack enough and I hope the author expands it to include more worlds.

Thanks a ton fellas. I'm getting guff from my online gaming guilds since i'm spending all my time in Mari0 land, But this mutant baby of a game is sweet! As I said, World 2 is complete, and the rest are under construction (not releasing unfinished products). i just want to see how the first world goes over before i add World 2, and the rest as well.

and to Mariop' - i may consider a checkpoint addition in 1-4, however, i feel since the levels are so short, and you only encounter the extra hammer bro's if you choose the wrong pipe, if i get a bunch of requests for a checkpoint i guess i'll add one, but i honestly don't feel the the SMB player should have too many problems with difficulty.

keep me posted everyone. enjoy

rAALph SiC

Post » 10 Mar 2012, 19:04

rokit boy wrote:dl broken
crap, lemme check, was working fine all day...

EDIT: seems to be DLing just fine... ?

rokit

Post » 10 Mar 2012, 19:09

It redirects me to http://urlseek20.vmn.net/search.php?typ ... &p_world_1
So it doesn't exist apparently.

newguy

Post » 10 Mar 2012, 19:11

The download is working fine for me.

rAALph SiC

Post » 10 Mar 2012, 19:13

rokit boy wrote:It redirects me to http://urlseek20.vmn.net/search.php?typ ... &p_world_1
So it doesn't exist apparently.

Weird... i'll look into it, but you seem to be the first with this issue. my link still works. sorry for the inconvenience

Mariop'

Post » 10 Mar 2012, 20:03

rAALph SiC wrote:but i honestly don't feel the the SMB player should have too many problems with difficulty.
Yes, but I haven't played SMB for a long time, and I have difficulty to play with my touchpad %D.
Anyway, no problem, You put a mushroom in a sublevel, so I could do the level every time I wanted %).

Pyrosaur

Post » 10 Mar 2012, 21:26

Great map pack, the levels are very well-made and well thought out. I would suggest adding a few checkpoints, though, as the levels are rather long.

rAALph SiC

Post » 10 Mar 2012, 22:38

Pyr0saur wrote:Great map pack, the levels are very well-made and well thought out. I would suggest adding a few checkpoints, though, as the levels are rather long.
thanks!

ok thats 2 for checkpoints, from 42 downloads. i'll let it ride this week and see what everyone else has to say. i personally didn't think them too long, if you take the right path, but your suggestion is noted and i will add a checkpoint on a couple levels if they seem too long.

rokit

Post » 10 Mar 2012, 22:40

Can you please mirror the download?

rAALph SiC

Post » 10 Mar 2012, 23:07

rokit boy wrote:Can you please mirror the download?
MIRRORED!!! ;)

Axel

Post » 10 Mar 2012, 23:50

Very fun level, cant wait for the next one.

rAALph SiC

Post » 11 Mar 2012, 00:31

Axel wrote:Very fun level, cant wait for the next one.
thank you!

rokit

Post » 11 Mar 2012, 02:12

EPIC!

My ratings:

Fun 7/10
Challenge 8/10
Creativity 7/10
Length 9/10
Overall 31/40 well done!

rAALph SiC

Post » 11 Mar 2012, 02:30

Glad you're all enjoying it! If good things keep up, ill post world 2 within the next week.

rokit

Post » 11 Mar 2012, 17:18

I think it's better creating a wiki page for this since there is so much here and there are text limitations on the forums. Tr my tutorial for a wiki page: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=897

rAALph SiC

Post » 11 Mar 2012, 20:13

rokit boy wrote:I think it's better creating a wiki page for this since there is so much here and there are text limitations on the forums.
noted. thanx

rAALph SiC

Post » 12 Mar 2012, 11:37

page on Mari0 Wiki is up http://mari0wiki.wikkii.com/wiki/Custom ... 6_Plumbers

doesn't mean i don't want to hear from ya on here. let me know what you think so far!

*updates soon*

cheers

rAALph SiC

Post » 21 Mar 2012, 09:46

alright guys, i'm putting out Worlds 1-4 so this map pack doesnt get forgotten before all 8 worlds are tested and tweeked. i've uploaded worlds 1thru 4 to mediafire and updated the post up top. lemme know what ya think. hope you enjoy it so far! again, thanks for all the downloads of all the world 1 revisions! testers are appreciated, lemme know if you can break anything in game so i can fix

cheers

Da2Shae

Post » 22 Mar 2012, 06:50

I managed to find a warp pipe that took me to world 4. But on world 4-2 I instantly fell to my death. :/

Why ;_;

rAALph SiC

Post » 22 Mar 2012, 06:54

Da2Shae wrote:I managed to find a warp pipe that took me to world 4. But on world 4-2 I instantly fell to my death. :/

Why ;_;

im on it

edit* weird. i took that warp pipe to world 4, but for me it ended map pack.. im re blocking the warp pipe until i figure that out. bout to test the 4-2 thing, i played thru many times and that never happened. trying now

edit** i ran world four and all of 4-2 a couple times and no instant death fall. what part of the level are you in.. and did the warp pipe to world 4 work for you? it did for me at first, but now it ends my game like i said.. ill figure it out

EDIT*** ok, MY issue with the warp pipe to world 4 ending my game.. occured because i placed warp to world 4 entity on pipe before i had finished and saved world 4, fixed and re-upped to mediafire. and Da2Shae, i still cant manage to forever fall in 4-2.. anyone else having that issue?

rAALph SiC

Post » 24 Mar 2012, 08:40

over 200 total DL's of world 1 and revisions. 20 DL's of the new worlds.... soooo, you guy's enjoying them? puzzles adequate? bugs? no replies kuz it's just fine? does it suck and i should quit? ;) a LITTLE feedback could go a long way. i DO still have 4 more worlds to finish. if this map pack is not top shelf material, please let me know and i'll keep the rest to myself.

cheers

Da2Shae

Post » 25 Mar 2012, 05:03

rAALph SiC wrote:
Da2Shae wrote:I managed to find a warp pipe that took me to world 4. But on world 4-2 I instantly fell to my death. :/

Why ;_;

im on it

edit* weird. i took that warp pipe to world 4, but for me it ended map pack.. im re blocking the warp pipe until i figure that out. bout to test the 4-2 thing, i played thru many times and that never happened. trying now

edit** i ran world four and all of 4-2 a couple times and no instant death fall. what part of the level are you in.. and did the warp pipe to world 4 work for you? it did for me at first, but now it ends my game like i said.. ill figure it out

EDIT*** ok, MY issue with the warp pipe to world 4 ending my game.. occured because i placed warp to world 4 entity on pipe before i had finished and saved world 4, fixed and re-upped to mediafire. and Da2Shae, i still cant manage to forever fall in 4-2.. anyone else having that issue?
I'm going to doublecheck right quick to make sure i was referring to the right map pack. I could be confusing your map with someone else's lol

Da2Shae

Post » 25 Mar 2012, 06:11

Ignore the white blocks, I added those because I wanted to finish the map.

Anyway I finished world 4-1, and I saw the animation that took me into the warp pipe that went to world 4-2.

Basically, I would just keep spawning there at the green pipe in mid air and fall down. The enemies were there but no platforms were showing up really.
Sorry for getting back to you so late.

I also noticed the green pipes on world 4-1 that had the pirana plant coming out were missing. Its as if the plants were coming out of thin air. I hope I didn't corrupt the file in any way. I'll just download the updated version.

The map pack so far is great though, perhaps you should add a few portal levels though. Maybe mix in a mario-like level, just with more portal blocks.

EDIT: Just read the rest of the OP, I now realize that you ARE adding portal levels.

EDIT2: A couple tips about uploading.
Make sure that the download link is to the download of the ACTUAL map pack. Don't give us a link to a list of stuff you uploaded on mediafire. Just give us the link to what we're supposed to download.
Also be sure to place all your files in a folder, THEN put the folder in a .rar file. When I extracted the files from the .rar, they were all scattered across my downloads folder. So just make sure they are put into a folder to make things easier.
Last edited by Da2Shae on 25 Mar 2012, 09:00, edited 1 time in total.

rAALph SiC

Post » 25 Mar 2012, 06:32

it's a missing tileset file.. reupping

edit* all fixed and re-upped to mediafire. sorry about that. i was wondering what had happened. i looked at the screen shot and siad: "that's not my 4-2", but when i look at 4-2 on my version, its a custom tile map (credits in readme), i made sure its in this new version. thanks for actually getting back to me.. its the only way we can make shit better

rAALph SiC

Post » 25 Mar 2012, 06:58

Da2Shae wrote:
Make sure that the download link is to the download of the ACTUAL map pack. Don't give us a link to a list of stuff you uploaded on mediafire. Just give us the link to what we're supposed to download.
Also be sure to place all your files in a folder, THEN put the folder in a .rar file. When I extracted the files from the .rar, they were all scattered across my downloads folder. So just make sure they are put into a folder to make things easier.

1. if this is to me specifically, the link is directly to DL page. There are many pages redirected to the same link so it would be unwise to change it and limit its access. 2. i put the files back in a folder for you, but i could've sworn i was told to do as i had, so that the user downloading could just extract the zipped files to a specified folder, which i thought was common practice. sorry if it was difficult. if you don't want your zip files to extract all over, you must select extract to specified folder ;)

cheers

Da2Shae

Post » 25 Mar 2012, 07:04

rAALph SiC wrote:
Da2Shae wrote:

1. if this is to me specifically, the link is directly to DL page. There are many pages redirected to the same link so it would be unwise to change it and limit its access. 2. i put the files back in a folder for you, but i could've sworn i was told to do as i had, so that the user downloading could just extract the zipped files to a specified folder, which i thought was common practice. sorry if it was difficult. if you don't want your zip files to extract all over, you must select extract to specified folder ;)

cheers
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?4xcvhy9vsvbp62o
1. Just paste THAT into your original post so they'll know what to download.

2. My rar unarchiver "UnRarX" (For the mac) automatically extracts anything in the rar folder into the downloads folder instead of a specific folder of our choosing. (Some programs do that)

Da2Shae

Post » 25 Mar 2012, 07:05

Da2Shae wrote:
rAALph SiC wrote:
Da2Shae wrote:

cheers
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?4xcvhy9vsvbp62o
1. Just paste THAT into your original post so they'll know what to download.

2. My rar unarchiver "UnRarX" (For the mac) automatically extracts anything in the rar folder into the downloads folder instead of a specific folder of our choosing. (Some programs do that) So putting it all in a folder before you zip/rar it, would help out a lot of people. Anyway, your map files need to be in a folder ANYWAY in order for the game to read it in the mappack section, that way its contents can be separated from the other mappacks.

rAALph SiC

Post » 25 Mar 2012, 07:18

1. No. most people on here know what they want to download. no offense, plus, they can just click your link if they get lost ;)

2. sorry bout your mac issues, and i stuck the files into a folder an rezipped and reupped just for you!

all is good with the world

Da2Shae

Post » 25 Mar 2012, 08:01

rAALph SiC wrote:1. No. most people on here know what they want to download. no offense, plus, they can just click your link if they get lost ;)

2. sorry bout your mac issues, and i stuck the files into a folder an rezipped and reupped just for you!

all is good with the world
Thanks, I'm playing through it all again right now. You may wanna work on your portal puzzles.

I was able to set a portal under the door in level 2-4 and do a glitch jump through the door.

I'll post more as I go along. Also thanks for all those well hidden coin/life blocks!

rAALph SiC

Post » 25 Mar 2012, 08:21

Da2Shae wrote: Thanks, I'm playing through it all again right now. You may wanna work on your portal puzzles.

I was able to set a portal under the door in level 2-4 and do a glitch jump through the door.

I'll post more as I go along. Also thanks for all those well hidden coin/life blocks!
replaced smb castle blocks under doors in 2-4 with non-portalable blocks (that and on other spot are the only places where that could occur, i checked. Didn't catch that when testing, was too worried about making not too difficult early puzzles and must've spaced on the door blocks. fix and will re-up in a few minutes. and thanx. i've been looking for more people to try to break shit for a while, seems everyone's been too busy here lol)

i tried to make up for platform challenges and reward puzzle success with plenty of goodies, plus i had to think harder about hidden stuff since when i first made all those levels i spaced the invisible block... and i also noticed there is a level that, if you die after a certain point, you can revisit one part and score lives forever if you take the time

Da2Shae

Post » 25 Mar 2012, 08:36

rAALph SiC wrote:
Da2Shae wrote: Thanks, I'm playing through it all again right now. You may wanna work on your portal puzzles.

replaced smb castle blocks under doors in 2-4 with non-portalable blocks (that and on other spot are the only places where that could occur, i checked. Didn't catch that when testing, was too worried about making not too difficult early puzzles and must've spaced on the door blocks. fix and will re-up in a few minutes. and thanx. i've been looking for more people to try to break shit for a while, seems everyone's been too busy here lol)

i tried to make up for platform challenges and reward puzzle success with plenty of goodies, plus i had to think harder about hidden stuff since when i first made all those levels i spaced the invisible block... and i also noticed there is a level that, if you die after a certain point, you can revisit one part and score lives forever if you take the time
Oh wow thats a lot of changes. Good job on level 4, that **** looks great! Loving the minecraft tilesets. I NOPE'd my way through the moving platform part of world 4-3 and just took the easy route rather than using the other moving platforms, there needs to be a checkpoint after this part as well just in case we die doing that puzzle. I think world 4-1 needs a checkpoint somewhere. Possibly after that first usable warp pipe if it isin't too close to the end of the level.
The portal puzzle in 4-3 is lacking music, although it could be a glitch on my end.

EDIT: I'm stuck on the puzzle part of 4-3.
I used the blue lazer to jump on the walkway above the walking goomba, and i hit the switch above the right side of the red lazer. It activated a timer above the companion cube spawn but it doesn't spawn at all. The timer just goes out. I dunno if its a part of the challenge or not. If I get stumped I'm gonna call it a night lol.

EDIT2: Nevermind i realized it opened the door to the goomba chamber. I'll keep the rest of the puzzle a secret.
Last edited by Da2Shae on 25 Mar 2012, 08:48, edited 2 times in total.

rAALph SiC

Post » 25 Mar 2012, 08:45

my custom music is quiet compared to the in game tracks because i shrank them so much as to avoid making the map pack too large, which is unfortunate since the songs are fitting to the theme. plus they ended up smaller that most of the SMB tracks anyway. and there is already a checkpoint in 4-3. hopefully it spawns you correctly.

Da2Shae

Post » 25 Mar 2012, 08:53

Alright I beat 4-3, I'm on the repeating part of 4-4. If you die there, mario spawns in the ground. Also the bullet bills didn't spawn until after I died. :/

EDIT: After I die on that part, I see a set of bullet bills and lava JUST as I spawn, then I appear in the maze. Might be a game related glitch that happens if you place a checkpoint in the maze. Not too sure.

rAALph SiC

Post » 25 Mar 2012, 09:04

Da2Shae wrote:Alright I beat 4-3, I'm on the repeating part of 4-4. If you die there, mario spawns in the ground. Also the bullet bills didn't spawn until after I died. :/

EDIT: After I die on that part, I see a set of bullet bills and lava JUST as I spawn, then I appear in the maze. Might be a game related glitch that happens if you place a checkpoint in the maze. Not too sure.
i moved checkpoint further from maze end and closer to pipes. i'm not sure if that's completely my fault, but hopefully the fix helps

rAALph SiC

Post » 27 Mar 2012, 22:55

fixed an issue in world 4-2. If you died in forest section, since the main level was an intermission, when you respawned, forest background would load as portal background. for now, i just made intermission part of level playable. no more background issue if you die.

updated link in OP

rAALph SiC

Post » 21 Jun 2012, 22:29

<taps on mic> ... is this thing on???

RWLabs

Post » 21 Jun 2012, 23:00

Next time, let the thread die or use the bump button instead of giving Saso a good reason to ban you.

newguy

Post » 27 Jun 2012, 22:29

I really like this mappack. It's very inventive and has a good combination of Mario style puzzles and Portal puzzles.

There appears to be a bug in level 4-4. If I die near the end then the game respawns me right over a fireball, so I immediately die again (and again and again). Otherwise it's been a really good experience.

rokit

Post » 28 Jun 2012, 17:19

I remember this now, this is the first custom mappack I played! I don't regret it!