A few tricks with lasers (updated! - alternating lasers)

Mapping related threads and questions go in here!
auzura

Post » 10 Mar 2012, 03:33

I really wish I could show these with video instead of just screenshots, but I just don't have the computer for it.

Found these while dicking around in the level editor, seeing what kind of stuff I can make happen.

Edit: the stuff on the right in the first few shots is a set up for a one way door that I covered here: viewtopic.php?p=9878#p9878

Invisible Lasers

Well it looks pretty normal. No lasers here.

Woah what. why did that happen?

It's because when the lasers hit the detector, they immediately turn off, which is so fast that you can't see it, but it is still there, so it can still kill you. The lasers and detectors are attached to a clock so that this repeats:

Edit: I wasn't clear, but the lasers are not constant. Only when the timer runs out. Until there is a way to have a faster timer without the lasers appearing, this is just how it is.

---

Lasers that you can launch through

And while I was testing this, I came across this:

I can't get a proper screenshot because I just don't have that kind of timing, but thanks to the constant pulse of the bridge/cube clock at the top left, the lasers turn on and off fast enough that you cannot walk through them.

However, if you go in to a falling infinite loop, and shoot a portal that launches you horizontally, you will pass through them. I tested this several times and made it every time, but I do not know if it is 100%

Edit: After some more testing, it seems you have to launch yourself in to it from the right angle, at least if you have that many lasers. If you implement this in your world, be sure to test it!

---

Timing based laser trap (alternating lasers)

This is what I was wanting to do when I did the stuff above. It suddenly dawned on me while working on something else (this keeps happening) to use a cube and a faith plate:

Each laser on the bottom is connected to an individual laser input above, with a constant laser directed at them. Using a cube and faith plate, the cube will bounce and interrupt the input, causing the corresponding laser to turn off momentarily. This can be altered as you wish, with more bouncing cubes to have faster patterns, more or less lasers, etc. The main drawback is that the cube goes through pretty quickly, so the lasers will only pulse quickly instead of staying on for a bit. This can still be used to create quite the tricky obstacle.
Last edited by auzura on 10 Mar 2012, 11:39, edited 4 times in total.

Pyrosaur

Post » 10 Mar 2012, 03:37

Cool! May come in handy.

PvtVain

Post » 10 Mar 2012, 03:37

Wow this is pretty nice to know. Thanks.

auzura

Post » 10 Mar 2012, 03:49

Thanks guys.

Made a few edits to the OP

auzura

Post » 10 Mar 2012, 11:42

Bump for update.

Really wish there was an and gate or the ability to attach multiple inputs. Would open up so much things to do.

EntranceJew

Post » 10 Mar 2012, 12:26

auzura wrote:Bump for update.

Really wish there was an and gate or the ability to attach multiple inputs. Would open up so much things to do.
Just so you're aware that this exists.

auzura

Post » 10 Mar 2012, 12:33

Yeah, but I like to work with the vanilla game. no fun if a mod just fixes it and yay. also not everyone uses mods.