Map Editor Questions

Mapping related threads and questions go in here!
Caecenno

Post » 07 Mar 2012, 03:20

Okay, so I'm working on an aesthetically awesome map pack, and I've run into a few issues:

1) I don't seem to be able to make the lava an actual obstacle, it's only a non-collision tile. Running around in lava unscathed isn't exactly intimidating from a game design perspective... so is there anyway I can make my lava an actual threat? Or do I have to pull some clever shenanigans to work around this?

2) I had a long, mostly empty hall with a bunch of scattered links in various orientations, with the correct ones supposed to be turned on to reveal a legible message, however, when I tried to draw a link between the button (to be activated by out trustworthy companion cube friend), the game completely crashed. I suspect it's because of the extreme distance between the link and its button. I really don't want to just move the button closer, because that isn't as aesthetically awesome, so is there a way to actually link an entity with another that's farther than 25 tiles away?

auzura

Post » 07 Mar 2012, 03:22

To the first one, that's how it was in SMB. It was just there for looks.

Caecenno

Post » 07 Mar 2012, 03:25

How strange... I seemed to recall the lave killing you in castles if you touched it- ... I've gone and confused SMB with Syoban Action (Cat Mario)... oh goodness now I feel terrible.... Anyways, I guess I'll try and pull some shenanigans on that one.

SpocKirk

Post » 07 Mar 2012, 03:30

Caecenno wrote:How strange... I seemed to recall the lave killing you in castles if you touched it- ... I've gone and confused SMB with Syoban Action (Cat Mario)... oh goodness now I feel terrible.... Anyways, I guess I'll try and pull some shenanigans on that one.
you can just make them pits so you die anyway. I guess it depends if it works with your layout.

Caecenno

Post » 07 Mar 2012, 03:33

My bigger concern here is problem 2). Was this a one time crash, or is this just a thing the game wasn't meant to do? Because otherwise I just have to make my area kinda lame.

Maurice
Stabyourself.net

Post » 07 Mar 2012, 14:44

#2 was fixed in 1.1 or 1.2