SMB78

Mapping related threads and questions go in here!
udwy7dhe

Post » 28 Feb 2022, 14:37

Well this is like the FUTUREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Of mario I Made 2 custom Enemies the rest is Just The default
SMB78.rar
Yes YES
(41.34 KiB) Downloaded 211 times
seeee.PNG
seeee.PNG (6.01 KiB) Viewed 2188 times
icon.PNG
icon.PNG (15.92 KiB) Viewed 2188 times
eeee.PNG
eeee.PNG (405 Bytes) Viewed 2188 times

WilliamFrog

Post » 28 Feb 2022, 23:23

I tried your mappack and...
It's very bad, and here's why:
1. The levels have no thought put into them. There's no theming, There are random bosses everywhere for no reason, and enemy and powerup choice is completely random.
- Why is Ludwig in the open field at the end of 1-2? Why are there rocky wrenches in 3-1? Why are there invisible bill blasters in midair there? Why does 1-1 have a skinny mushroom and a blue shell? If the answer to any of these is "because I felt like it", then you're doing it wrong.

2. The structure of the levels is poor. Maybe the ground is completely flat and there are bricks at random heights, or it's just full of enemies. 1-1 randomly becomes a flavorless cloud level in the second half, entirely devoid of anything interesting.
- Good Mario levels are carefully thought out, setpieces aren't designed on a whim because something just "sounded cool"
- The length is also incredibly sporadic, ranging from single screens to full length levels. Good levels are usually designed around specific mechanics which are expanded upon as the level goes on. If there's not enough material to make it a consistent length, then you need a new idea.

3. It is lacking polish. All the levels use the same set of tiles, there's no music, pipes are on the wrong blocks, returning from a bonus room restarts the level, bill blasters are placed randomly in midair, it's just a very rough experience.
- You can't even beat it because one of the pipes goes to the wrong place

BlooKidandPoppy

Post » 16 Feb 2023, 18:17

WilliamFrog wrote:
28 Feb 2022, 23:23
1. The levels have no thought put into them. There's no theming, There are random bosses everywhere for no reason, and enemy and powerup choice is completely random.
- Why is Ludwig in the open field at the end of 1-2? Why are there rocky wrenches in 3-1? Why are there invisible bill blasters in midair there? Why does 1-1 have a skinny mushroom and a blue shell? If the answer to any of these is "because I felt like it", then you're doing it wrong.

2. The structure of the levels is poor. Maybe the ground is completely flat and there are bricks at random heights, or it's just full of enemies. 1-1 randomly becomes a flavorless cloud level in the second half, entirely devoid of anything interesting.
- Good Mario levels are carefully thought out, setpieces aren't designed on a whim because something just "sounded cool"
- The length is also incredibly sporadic, ranging from single screens to full length levels. Good levels are usually designed around specific mechanics which are expanded upon as the level goes on. If there's not enough material to make it a consistent length, then you need a new idea.

3. It is lacking polish. All the levels use the same set of tiles, there's no music, pipes are on the wrong blocks, returning from a bonus room restarts the level, bill blasters are placed randomly in midair, it's just a very rough experience.
I have to agree with you WilliamFrog. This map pack is cringe..

SankeySMM2

Post » 16 Feb 2023, 18:53

BlooKidandPoppy wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 18:17
WilliamFrog wrote:

Man, I'm on your side

BlooKidandPoppy

Post » 17 Feb 2023, 00:23

SankeySMM2 wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 18:53
BlooKidandPoppy wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 18:17
WilliamFrog wrote:

Man, I'm on your side
Respect!

Gameboi64

Post » 27 Mar 2023, 06:49

I know to not bump old threads but . . . Jesus! I'm a relatively new mappack maker, but I know not to make stuff like this!