Footstep Sound System

Mapping related threads and questions go in here!
WilliamFrog

Post » 21 Jan 2021, 01:14

Nobody asked, but nobody had to...
Footstep Sound System
Yes I know the video is on Aidan's channel, I don't have a youtube so he kindly posted it for me. Thx :)
Anyway, just a couple days ago I was inspired to make a footstep sound system by a suggestion bot post. I probably put too much effort into it, but maybe someone will use it eventually. It actually has two components required to function: the enemies themselves and a compatible character. Any character can be made compatible by adding a property called "footstepcycle" to their config, as seen below:
image.png
image.png (28.92 KiB) Viewed 5997 times
Basically it consists of groups of two arrays, arranged by powerup form (The second row is for form 0, which is unused). The first array has two numbers, which are the numbers of the two walk frames that should play footstep sounds when they display. For characters with simple one-step walk cycles, they should be the same value. The second array has the names of the sound enemies associated with that form. One of them will be randomly chosen to spawn every time a step is taken. Your character can have their own sound enemies for custom sounds, but it supports built in sounds too.

I created a demonstration character for use with footstep sounds, found at the bottom of the post. I highly recommend making your own characters compatible, should anyone decide to use this in their mappack. It's actually not very distracting, dare I say it increases the immersion, though you might want them a bit quieter than the demo character. It's also fully multiplayer compatible, although make sure to separate the players before applying the footstep sounds, or else it may not work properly.

Made for Alesan's Entities V13b, not confirmed to work in any other versions. Both files are required for this to work, unless you have another compatible character. Place the custom enemy files in the enemies folder of your mappack, and place the animation in your mappack's animations folder. The custom enemy must then be placed within the levels you wish to have step sounds in. It looks like a speaker. The character must be placed in the characters folder, and then selected from the options menu in-game. This is not a mod. All step sounds in the character are from Super Mario 3D World.
Footstep Sounds.zip
(4.68 KiB) Downloaded 372 times
footstep mario.zip
(292 KiB) Downloaded 387 times