Mario and the Intergamatically Connected, GAME-DESTROYING Glitch! (WORKING TITLE, VERY W.I.P.)

Mapping related threads and questions go in here!
imgudman4567

Post » 07 Oct 2018, 23:09

It seems like its time for me to finally come back from my slumber and actually finish this thing. But first, title card:

Mario and the Intergamatically Connected, GAME-DESTROYING Glitch! (Previously titled ...the Inter-dimensional (More Like Game-Switching)...)
(Current Version)
A mappack utilizing Alesan99's Entities which entails Mario and a story full of weird games, glitches, and maybe even a few other bits and ends.

For those that are wondering why I've been gone and why I've changed some things on my profile (mainly the age):
Alright, so in a nutshell I was never as young as I made it to be, in fact I'm quite adequate-aged. A simple misclick of the year can do wonders. Anyways, essentially I wanted to focus on other things that were very outside the realms of this forum and I didn't really think about warning anyone about it since this project wasn't going very well originally (along with my other projects.) Those are all mainly done now and I'm now fully ready to commit to something like this.
The main story for this mappack goes as follows: "Mario, during one of his walks along Sun-star Beach, discovers a glitch! He does not understand it, but it understands him all too well, already having concocted a plan to take over the Mushroom Kingdom along with what seems to be *7-9 other worlds! Will our plumber be able to save the day this time or will he fall victim to the code catastrophe that has afflicted his and many others' worlds?"

This mappack will include, most likely, *8-10 worlds, each of which will be themed by an NES title. I currently do not know what titles I want to be in this besides the first world being SMB1, so do give suggestions. This mappack will also include music from these titles along with some other music from other games (mainly for the title level and the boss battles). And of course, the tileset will be heavily custom for obvious reasons.
(NOTE: Screenshots may become obsolete as game progresses in completion.)
WORLD 1
Image Image
Image Image

WORLD 2
Image Image
WORLD 1: SMB1 (-1 Normal, -2 Underground, -3 Mushroom, -4 Castle)
WORLD 2: Kirby's Adventure
WORLD 3+: Being Planned/Figured Out
(Games Being Considered: Metal Storm)
https://files.fm/u/3hmdwk8a (WORLD 1 'Demo' / 1/8-10 Version)
https://files.fm/u/vs8mvh3m (LEVEL 2-1 'Demo' Version)
https://files.fm/u/kdzfntyw (LEVEL 2-2 'Demo' Version)
For those who are confused as to why I would even fathom posting about an idea this early, it is mainly because I've done work for it before but I scrapped that map due to its meh-ness. If I find them I will also post some of the work I had done for the previous mappack before I scrapped it. I could not find the work I did for the previous mappack. I must have been thorough when originally scrapping this thing.
Last edited by imgudman4567 on 17 Nov 2018, 06:18, edited 15 times in total.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 08 Oct 2018, 01:44

So, basically, you had an idea? Is there nothing you can show? No maps, no WIP screenshots, no plans? I mean, don't get me wrong, sounds like a pretty cool idea, but if there's nothing to be shown, and given the scope of the mappack, isn't it way too early to post? It'd be weeks, maybe months, before anything more concrete came out, if that's the case.

imgudman4567

Post » 08 Oct 2018, 01:53

HugoBDesigner wrote:So, basically, you had an idea? Is there nothing you can show? No maps, no WIP screenshots, no plans? I mean, don't get me wrong, sounds like a pretty cool idea, but if there's nothing to be shown, and given the scope of the mappack, isn't it way too early to post? It'd be weeks, maybe months, before anything more concrete came out, if that's the case.
Well I could dig through my computer files to see if I have some of the old work I did but besides that I simply wanted to inform the forums that the project itself was very much coming back. Also at some point I plan to have a sort of 'minipack' which will show off levels for a game I want to include, Kirby's Adventure. Also the old forum page does still exist, and given that 'Interdimensional' hasn't been a used word since 2016 it shouldn't be hard to find. I could link it though so people could see what this is coming from.

EDIT: added link to main post.

Britdan

Post » 08 Oct 2018, 19:45

yeeeaaah if theirs anything i have learned from my past experiences its that you shouldn't post anything before it is finished or about 95% done (and that is if you have anything concrete to show

imgudman4567

Post » 12 Oct 2018, 01:35

1-1 is complete!

If you guys want to try it out I can post the current map as it is (which will show off that the next level is gonna be an underground level, you'll notice that the levels for SMB1 are slightly reminiscent of the actual ones from it.

EDIT: 1-2 is almost done as well, so stay tuned.

imgudman4567

Post » 19 Oct 2018, 00:59

Was gone for a tad bit but I'm back and chugging along just fine.

Work on 1-3 is going just fine as well!

Stay tuned as always.

UPDATE: 1-3 is now going to be not only a mushroom platform world, but also a water world! (i.e. one section will be mushroom platforms and the other an underwater level. As an FYI this is because while designing the mushroom platforms I realized that the level needed a tad more variety, hence water!)

And as per the 4th level of the NES SMB1, it will be castle! (And possibly airship?)

imgudman4567

Post » 27 Oct 2018, 19:20

Before I forget, screenie from 1-2!

Also 1-3 is done with 1-4 already being worked on.

(Sorry once again for the gap, some busy work IRL had me slightly tied on time.)

Qwerbey

Post » 27 Oct 2018, 22:17

Hang on, shouldn't it be "Interludically"?

imgudman4567

Post » 27 Oct 2018, 23:07

QwertymanO07 wrote:Hang on, shouldn't it be "Interludically"?
While I'm unsure if Interludically is a real word, I can infer that it is also a play on words like Intergamatically is. But no, Intergamatically is what I chose. Interludically is nice sounding though, so perhaps I may change it to that at some point. Currently though I'll keep the current title for ease.

Qwerbey

Post » 27 Oct 2018, 23:37

No words are real; they're all made up at some point. In this case, I'm basing it off of Latin roots; "inter-", between; "ludo", game; and "-ic" and "-ally" to make it into an adverb.

imgudman4567

Post » 28 Oct 2018, 00:21

QwertymanO07 wrote:No words are real; they're all made up at some point. In this case, I'm basing it off of Latin roots; "inter-", between; "ludo", game; and "-ic" and "-ally" to make it into an adverb.
Fair point.

On a seperate note though,
World 1 is complete! Of course, this doesn't mean I won't do minor changes in the future if I feel like doing so, but for now I'm proud of it. At some point later today I'll have it downloadable and ready to play.

imgudman4567

Post » 28 Oct 2018, 02:47

WORLD 1 'Demo' is here!

Download it here! (If any of you know a better way to host files please tell me!)

Any critique/criticism/suggestions are welcome! The main post will now also be getting a Downloads collapse for the curious people that may be interested in past versions.

Work on WORLD 2 will be commenced shortly, which also leads me to remind you all that YOU can suggest NES games to be used for future worlds!
I hope you enjoy what is currently made (or say that you don't in a respectable manner)!

Qwerbey

Post » 28 Oct 2018, 02:51

I'd go with Metal Storm, using purple gel.

imgudman4567

Post » 28 Oct 2018, 03:27

QwertymanO07 wrote:I'd go with Metal Storm, using purple gel.
Definitely being considered, as I can make it work with the big variants of the enemies. Also looks like a good game in general. I'll have to watch some gameplay though to make sure it can work, though of course the purple gel can account for the upside-down aspect I've seen in screenshots.

Britdan

Post » 30 Oct 2018, 14:42

imgudman4567 wrote:WORLD 1 'Demo' is here!

Download it here! (If any of you know a better way to host files please tell me!)

Any critique/criticism/suggestions are welcome! The main post will now also be getting a Downloads collapse for the curious people that may be interested in past versions.

Work on WORLD 2 will be commenced shortly, which also leads me to remind you all that YOU can suggest NES games to be used for future worlds!
I hope you enjoy what is currently made (or say that you don't in a respectable manner)!
very nise.

imgudman4567

Post » 04 Nov 2018, 06:28

Alright fellas, here's a little status update as to the work on 2-1:

HOO BOY is it oddly satisfying!

Due to the way I am constructing the levels, mainly as slightly perfected versions of the levels based on (2-1 being KA's 1-1 and 2-2 through 4 being planned), seeing the level part complete is pretty nice. Of course, it is a very much work in progress sorta thing. Currently I have noticed that the structure of KA's levels makes it very short as Mario, so I may elongate levels by having them be multiple levels from the game in one. Of course once 2-1 is done I'll most likely post a beta with that one level without any extending to see what you all decide is best. Until then, I plan to get some screenshots up for the level with reskinned enemies when that time comes, so stay tuned as always!

EDIT: Nearly forgot to mention the obvious fact that these next worlds oncoming along with this current one will be made slower than the 1st due to the nature that not only are custom tiles a matter but enemy edits are also now a thing!

imgudman4567

Post » 04 Nov 2018, 21:59

Alright boys, 2-1 Demo Edition of this mappack is complete for the most part!

Download it here!

Image Image

If you happen to play this, please do tell me if you like the shortness of the level or if you'd like the level to be extended as I am actually unsure which I want to implement since short levels could also mean World 2 could be more than 4 levels long with the 'drawback' of the levels being pretty short. Of course, I could extend the levels and still have there be more than 4 but I'm not sure if that would work. Anyways I hope you enjoy what has been made for this level and as always stay tuned!

EDIT: So perhaps I may be making a poll for seeing what you guys prefer. If this happens I'll give it a few days at most to get the best results, but if not then I'll let people's opinions roll out while possibly either starting work on World 3 early or simply prepping for it.

imgudman4567

Post » 10 Nov 2018, 22:11

Sorry that it took a tad longer than it should have (work stuff mostly kept me from doing stuff), but I'm now ready to present the poll.
It's a simple sorta 'which style do you prefer' thing just to see what the general consensus is. Keep in mind that the outcome, while it will have effect on my choice, may not be the actual way it goes.

Cast your vote here!

Meanwhile, I shall be prepping for the rest of World 2 along with World 3. Just another reminder that suggestions for worlds are welcome!

Qwerbey

Post » 10 Nov 2018, 22:17

I figure you should have more levels, because each one gives a point to suspend.

imgudman4567

Post » 16 Nov 2018, 01:38

How ironic!

While the voting certainly isn't much it seems to show that people want both kinds of level. While I reckon a day more should be good for best results, I think a mix of both styles is best as represented.

(Keep in mind the image used here will of course be outdated at some point.)

Britdan

Post » 16 Nov 2018, 11:11

Now I'm not saying I want you to make them but if you do plan to make a Minecraft or Mario maker style world I have updated tilepacks for the both that are up for grabs and a ton of portal style tilepacks, let me know if you need one.

imgudman4567

Post » 16 Nov 2018, 23:40

aidanTP wrote:Now I'm not saying I want you to make them but if you do plan to make a Minecraft or Mario maker style world I have updated tilepacks for the both that are up for grabs and a ton of portal style tilepacks, let me know if you need one.
I do not plan making worlds for these two games mainly due to them not being NES games (though SMM assets are used in the SMB World), but thank you for telling me.

(Gonna also use this post to announce that I am indeed going for the "Mix" choice for the level style for World 2, so stay tuned for that!)

Qwerbey

Post » 16 Nov 2018, 23:57

Wouldn't that make the world really short, then?

imgudman4567

Post » 17 Nov 2018, 00:11

QwertymanO07 wrote:Wouldn't that make the world really short, then?
Indeed it would, but I'm going to compensate for this by giving the world a normal-esque 5th level that is entirely custom (just with Kirby's Adventure tilesets) and possibly worlds in the future with more levels. I think that the 5th level would be good compensation though, so there is no need to worry.

imgudman4567

Post » 17 Nov 2018, 06:14

The 2-2 Demo is here!

Download it here!

(Just a heads up, the button and button-blocks are still SMB-style due to them not being theme-specific.)

imgudman4567

Post » 25 Nov 2018, 02:42

Sorry for the lack of updates as of late, the Thanksgiving season has made me quite the busy bee. I'm fairly certain I'll also be busy for a bit more, a few weeks at the least, so sorry to those who wished for updates to come out of this sooner. I'll work on this whenever I get the chance though!

Britdan

Post » 15 Jan 2019, 01:04

R.I.P imgudman4567
edit: he was resurrected
Last edited by Britdan on 19 Jan 2019, 19:16, edited 1 time in total.

imgudman4567

Post » 19 Jan 2019, 04:07

Guess who's back!...

Back again!...

O.K. but in all seriousness, I'm finally back from my sort of extended thingy I was on for a little while, and I'm ready to get truckin' on this bad boy!

Note that of course progress isn't going to be too immediate (most likely) so this was not an entirely progress update but rather a note of my recurrence and a lil' spoiler for 2-5 (and no, my PFP isn't it this game besides that little intro room in 1-1).

masterminer176

Post » 19 Jan 2019, 05:40

Maybe for one of the worlds you could try FEZ?
It might be a challenge considering the endless amount of colors it has for being a (relatively) modern game.

imgudman4567

Post » 19 Jan 2019, 19:10

masterminer176 wrote:Maybe for one of the worlds you could try FEZ?
It might be a challenge considering the endless amount of colors it has for being a (relatively) modern game.
With the theme that I'm going with in this mappack (a.k.a. Mario travelling through NES games) I want to only use said NES games. Of course I'll most likely use some NES game that is abstract as FEZ since even with its limitations some neat games were made on it.

masterminer176

Post » 19 Jan 2019, 19:30

imgudman4567 wrote: Image

(...the button and button-blocks are still SMB-style due to them not being theme-specific.)
You could just re-texture each color to be a different theme (Red = Kirby, Blue = Metal Storm, etc.) And you could also make it a big switch, considering they are of a larger variety in the Kirby games.
Image Image
Just put these as the custom sprite under the names "bigblocktogglebutton" and "buttonblock", or put them in the "custom" folder of the mappack as .png files as the same names.
imgudman4567 wrote:
masterminer176 wrote:Maybe for one of the worlds you could try FEZ?
With the theme that I'm going with in this mappack (a.k.a. Mario travelling through NES games) I want to only use said NES games. Of course I'll most likely use some NES game that is abstract as FEZ since even with its limitations some neat games were made on it.
Makes sense then. So note to self: modern games are off the list (Unless they are specifically made for NES)
Last edited by masterminer176 on 19 Jan 2019, 19:59, edited 1 time in total.

Britdan

Post » 19 Jan 2019, 19:40

only NES games... have you seen this one! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFX401vvKTQ

imgudman4567

Post » 19 Jan 2019, 19:42

masterminer176 wrote:
imgudman4567 wrote: Image

(...the button and button-blocks are still SMB-style due to them not being theme-specific.)
You could just re-texture each color to be a different theme (Red = Kirby, Blue = Metal Storm, etc.) And you could also make it a big switch, considering they are of a larger variety in the Kirby games.)
I would do that but there is a slight problem: the current level for the Kirby's Adventure world I'm working on is actually going to make use of two different colored switches, so instead of re-texturing them I like to think of them as an artifact from Mario's world that was carried over by the unnamed villian (or some other actually good reason to have it be looking like that.)

EDIT to respond to Aidan:
Aidan wrote:only NES games... have you seen this one! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFX401vvKTQ
I have! However, due to the way that that game works (small sprites for the characters and enemies to make room for the larger boss sprites and etc.), I most likely won't be putting this in. Of course that can change but for the moment it's not in the cards.

Qwerbey

Post » 19 Jan 2019, 22:36

Ya gotta do Super Bat Puncher

imgudman4567

Post » 19 Jan 2019, 22:50

QwertymanO07 wrote:Ya gotta do Super Bat Puncher
Looked at it and it is a possibility, though since it's a demo and the sprites don't seem to be readily available it'll be a tad hard to pull off if it is chosen.

masterminer176

Post » 19 Jan 2019, 23:26

imgudman4567 wrote:EDIT to respond to Aidan:
Aidan wrote:only NES games... have you seen this one! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFX401vvKTQ
I have! However, due to the way that that game works (small sprites for the characters and enemies to make room for the larger boss sprites and etc.), I most likely won't be putting this in. Of course that can change but for the moment it's not in the cards.
(That game's really cool!) Isn't this being made for Alesan's entities? Just use the mini mushroom!

imgudman4567

Post » 20 Jan 2019, 21:12

masterminer176 wrote:(That game's really cool!) Isn't this being made for Alesan's entities? Just use the mini mushroom!
That'd work if say also the enemies could be mini, but to my knowledge if there even is any the only small enemy is the microgoomba which, if you'd ask me, wouldn't exactly make playing levels modeled after the Micro Mages levels too interesting. Of course I haven't played it myself since i don't even think it's publicly available yet anyways, so who knows? For now though it's not in the cards.

masterminer176

Post » 20 Jan 2019, 21:34

imgudman4567 wrote:
masterminer176 wrote:(That game's really cool!) Isn't this being made for Alesan's entities? Just use the mini mushroom!
That'd work if say also the enemies could be mini, but to my knowledge if there even is any the only small enemy is the microgoomba which, if you'd ask me, wouldn't exactly make playing levels modeled after the Micro Mages levels too interesting. Of course I haven't played it myself since i don't even think it's publicly available yet anyways, so who knows? For now though it's not in the cards.
Make your own enemies, you can make the size different so long as it's a multiple of .75

imgudman4567

Post » 20 Jan 2019, 22:01

masterminer176 wrote:Make your own enemies, you can make the size different so long as it's a multiple of .75
I'd love to make my own enemies but I honestly have little to no experience with .lua and such so it's not possible for me to. And even then I'm most likely going to find other games such that I won't need to include Micro Mages, so I don't see much of an issue.

masterminer176

Post » 20 Jan 2019, 22:07

imgudman4567 wrote:
masterminer176 wrote:Make your own enemies, you can make the size different so long as it's a multiple of .75
I'd love to make my own enemies but I honestly have little to no experience with .lua and such so it's not possible for me to. And even then I'm most likely going to find other games such that I won't need to include Micro Mages, so I don't see much of an issue.
Just copy someone else's as a base and change the size!
And here's some documentation to help out: https://web.archive.org/web/20150622050 ... nemies.php
And there's people at the enemy repositorium who can help you out!

Qwerbey

Post » 20 Jan 2019, 22:38

Enemies are made with JSON, and it's mostly just a list of values.

Britdan

Post » 20 Jan 2019, 22:41

imgudman4567 wrote:
i can give it a shot if you really want me to