Map Contest #6

Mapping related threads and questions go in here!
MagicPillow

Post » 18 Jul 2018, 09:23

Hiya. Here's the rules as per usual:
-If you want to participate, just make a set of levels, and submit it here, it has to follow the rules of the contest that you're participating in.
-There will be a theme for each contest, an objective, a key word, a style, you get me.
-For each contest the organizer can choose one version of Mari0 (1.6, an SE beta, a mod) for everyone to work with, and if people will be allowed to use a custom tileset, work with the tiles in the game, or maybe give a specific tileset.

[If you think we can add more general rules, feel free to suggest them]
I made a slight adjustment by removing the "1 world max" limit. not that anyone will make more than 1 world, but why not give em the opportunity.
This contest's theme is: Gimmick Your goal this time around will be to make a mappack with some sort of gimmick. Interpret that how you will. I look forward to seeing what people come up with.

Your version this time will be Beta 9 Bugfixes (or anything compatible with that).

Submissions will be due August 5, which will give you about 2 and a half weeks. Don't worry too much about the time zone difference; I'll leave submissions open for a day or two to allow for any last-minute stuff.

Good luck!

Cerulean AL

Post » 20 Jul 2018, 02:10

Awesome, I can't wait to work on this! Also, good Idea with the Time Zones. One question though. Can each Level have a Gimmick, or does it have to be one Gimmick for the whole Mappack?

MagicPillow

Post » 20 Jul 2018, 05:30

MagicPillow wrote:Interpret that how you will.
I make it intentionally vague so people can do whatever they feel makes for a better map. It's up to you.

Mari0_Player

Post » 22 Jul 2018, 05:46

Alright, I think I might be doing something for this. Not much yet, but if I keep it up I'll have at least three levels by the deadline.

Am I allowed to get some feedback on my map before submitting it to the contest?

MagicPillow

Post » 22 Jul 2018, 07:21

sure why not

Cerulean AL

Post » 28 Jul 2018, 08:10

MagicPillow wrote:I make it intentionally vague so people can do whatever they feel makes for a better map. It's up to you.
Great! I can't wait!

Mari0_Player

Post » 28 Jul 2018, 15:47

Mr.L's Thunder wrote:
MagicPillow wrote:I make it intentionally vague so people can do whatever they feel makes for a better map. It's up to you.
Great! I can't wait!
The contest started ten days ago.

MagicPillow

Post » 30 Jul 2018, 03:57

There is now 1 week remaining until the contest ends. It's not too late to start a map if you haven't yet. Good luck everyone!

Cerulean AL

Post » 30 Jul 2018, 05:57

Mari0_Player wrote: The contest started ten days ago.
I know, but at the time, I didn't start, so I was referring to making my Mappack when I said that I couldn't wait.

Cerulean AL

Post » 05 Aug 2018, 04:18

Unfortunately, my Entry will most likely only consist of 2 complete Levels. I might be able to get a 3rd Level in there, but that will most likely be it. I've been working really hard on my Entry for this Contest, as I really thought about everything I made in the First two Levels (That I might add are both almost complete at this point), so just keep that in mind if my Entry is less than 4 Levels. On the bright side, my Entry is very difficult in a fair and challenging way and will probably take a while to complete, which will probably make up for a 2 Level Entry.

Cerulean AL

Post » 05 Aug 2018, 06:41

My Entry is unfortunately only 2 Levels long, yet they are worth a try, especially for Players seeking a fair and difficult Challenge. For now, my Entry is just a Demo that I'd like to elaborate on more later on. For now, I think it's good. Due to it only being a Demo, I don't have an Official name for it, nor a good Icon. The Folder for the Mappack is named "Project Z-L", while the in-game name for the Mappack is "Mappack Contest 6".
"Bowser has contained Mario in his own tracks! When Bowser sets a laser trap made to contain Mario in a single area, Mario must find his way out by trying to get to Teleportation Pads that the Moronic Koopa King left behind to hopefully escape his Trap!"

This is a Demo of a very difficult Puzzle Mappack as well as my Entry in the 6th Mappack Contest. As such, both levels have their own gimmicks.
The Temporary Icon for the Mappack

Screenshot of the Mappack in action
"Afterglow"- by "Reaktor Productions"

Mari0_Player

Post » 05 Aug 2018, 07:43

I was called out on my bs graphics & level design over the styscord when I tried to post screenshots, so my map is probably not going to be finished for another month or two while I iron out all of the flaws that currently exist.
(Yeah, basically dropping out.)

Cerulean AL

Post » 05 Aug 2018, 08:55

That's too bad man. I can't wait to see what you come up with though.

MagicPillow

Post » 06 Aug 2018, 04:00

Submissions will close 24 hours from now. Get your maps in if you haven't yet!

Cerulean AL

Post » 07 Aug 2018, 00:35

Oh boy! I Can't wait!

MagicPillow

Post » 07 Aug 2018, 11:44

Normally this would be the voting phase, but since there was only 1 submission...

Mr.L's Thunder is the winner!

HugoBDesigner

Post » 07 Aug 2018, 17:56

I think we should try a different approach to these contests. Every contest we get less and less submissions, and I think it's either that most active members have been too busy with other stuff to participate (I know I have), or the restrictions are hard/not interesting to keep up with (maybe too short of a time frame? Maybe themes are too complex or too boring?)

Perhaps we could try making it more accessible. One way is to lower the barrier of entry: maybe instead of a mappack, we request a single level or a couple levels at most? Maybe we could provide people with some assets (like a tileset) so they have something they can use to make their maps more quickly? Maybe the themes could be simpler and easier to work with or grasp (make a Mario/Portal-themed map, or a castle-themed level, or a lunar base puzzle, etc).

Maybe that way, even I could stop coming up with excuses for not participating :P

Cerulean AL

Post » 07 Aug 2018, 19:03

I really like that idea! It's too bad I didn't get any competition though. At least I got something that I could build off of though, thanks to this Contest! Did anyone here try my Mappack?

MagicPillow

Post » 08 Aug 2018, 00:39

I tried it, but couldn't get past one of the platforms in 1-1 (it kept despawning, making it impossible to return left).
Other than that I enjoyed it, and thought it was an interesting concept.

Cerulean AL

Post » 08 Aug 2018, 01:40

Thank You! Also, I think I know which part you're talking about. Try to get on the other platform connected to it so it doesn't fall when you go on the other one. That is if you're willing to try again.

Britdan

Post » 20 Jan 2019, 18:33

HugoBDesigner wrote:I think we should try a different approach to these contests. Every contest we get less and less submissions, and I think it's either that most active members have been too busy with other stuff to participate (I know I have), or the restrictions are hard/not interesting to keep up with (maybe too short of a time frame? Maybe themes are too complex or too boring?)

Perhaps we could try making it more accessible. One way is to lower the barrier of entry: maybe instead of a mappack, we request a single level or a couple levels at most? Maybe we could provide people with some assets (like a tileset) so they have something they can use to make their maps more quickly? Maybe the themes could be simpler and easier to work with or grasp (make a Mario/Portal-themed map, or a castle-themed level, or a lunar base puzzle, etc).

Maybe that way, even I could stop coming up with excuses for not participating :P
i honestly think that the next contests time should be chosen by a group of the people that want to do it and so this way it isn't a surprise right in the middle of whatever they could be working on and be on for a month or two rather than a week or two. just sayin?