[SE 9] Project SNES: World 1 Demo

Mapping related threads and questions go in here!
Villager103

Post » 22 May 2018, 03:13

Project SNES is an SMB1 SNES-styled collab mappack created by me and iamamari0player, and we bring you this demo to showcase the first world, because why the hell not?
SNES-style graphics, tileset, enemies and music.

4 levels, each with their own theme.
Villager103[Tiles, level design]
iamamari0player[Level Design, original mappack author]
Sednaiur[Tiles, backgrounds]
Darkshon[Enemy rips]
Random Talking Bush[Ground tile template]
Jouw[Tile rips]
Toadeeboy[Background rips]
EDIT: Download is now an actual working download because people were finding it finnicky before.
Last edited by Villager103 on 23 May 2018, 00:23, edited 2 times in total.

sgwyspeedrcr

Post » 22 May 2018, 03:16

Dude been excited to play this! Thanks for the dl

Sky

Post » 22 May 2018, 04:41

• Mostly good level design, minus the quirks listed in the next section. Everything is thoughtfully placed, and when it all comes together, it really feels like Mario.
  • Excellent use of customized graphics. It certainly looks the part!
  • Pretty challenging, mostly feels fair except for a few rough patches.
  • Secrets and hidden power-ups are well-placed, though I'd like to see more of them.
  • Some of the jumps are pretty ridiculous. Why are we doing one-block-wide platforms in the first world, and why do so many of them require running leaps to platforms at the edge of the screen?
  • World 1-4 is pretty obviously rushed to get the demo out the door. The entire second half is unfair even by late-game standards and needs major re-working. At least add a checkpoint!
  • If you're gonna make it hard, add some 1-ups. Currently there's a grand total of zero.
  • Is it still a bonus room if you're required to go through it to complete the level?
  • 1-3 is probably my favorite level. The challenge is well-balanced, the bonus room is easy to see but fun to get to, and the mushroom trees look really nice.
  • Honestly this mappack would greatly benefit from having the portal gun, even if it's not used for anything. Could help the player with some of the tight platforming. Not sure why it was removed.
Overall solid, and all the problems are pretty easy to fix. Excited to see more!

Villager103

Post » 22 May 2018, 07:22

WillWare wrote:
  • Mostly good level design, minus the quirks listed in the next section. Everything is thoughtfully placed, and when it all comes together, it really feels like Mario.
  • Excellent use of customized graphics. It certainly looks the part!
  • Pretty challenging, mostly feels fair except for a few rough patches.
  • Secrets and hidden power-ups are well-placed, though I'd like to see more of them.
  • Some of the jumps are pretty ridiculous. Why are we doing one-block-wide platforms in the first world, and why do so many of them require running leaps to platforms at the edge of the screen?
  • World 1-4 is pretty obviously rushed to get the demo out the door. The entire second half is unfair even by late-game standards and needs major re-working. At least add a checkpoint!
  • If you're gonna make it hard, add some 1-ups. Currently there's a grand total of zero.
  • Is it still a bonus room if you're required to go through it to complete the level?
  • 1-3 is probably my favorite level. The challenge is well-balanced, the bonus room is easy to see but fun to get to, and the mushroom trees look really nice.
  • Honestly this mappack would greatly benefit from having the portal gun, even if it's not used for anything. Could help the player with some of the tight platforming. Not sure why it was removed.
Overall solid, and all the problems are pretty easy to fix. Excited to see more!
Thanks for the criticisms. I will admit, 1-4 is pretty rushed, it will be reworked/more refined in the final version.

Regarding the portal gun, I actually intended for the player to get the portal gun at some point in World 2, although another reason why it was omitted is because if you put a portal in the lava just right, the laser goes into the portal and can kill the player. The laser is what makes the lava kill things on contact.

MagicPillow

Post » 22 May 2018, 07:49

you can mimic the effects of lava using a combination of spikes and invisible solid blocks above them with a 1 space gap in between instead of using lasers
layed out like this:

Code: Select all

invisible block
empty space
top spikes

Qwerbey

Post » 22 May 2018, 10:14

Hot tip: with Dropbox, if you edit the url so that the last part says ?dl=1 it will download without changing the page. Like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bvngzfnrquvas ... o.zip?dl=1

Eden GT

Post » 27 May 2018, 12:35

"Game Over" and "Mappack completed" message displays the enemy counter image:

I'm pretty sure some of you have already noticed it, just pointing it out.

And, be sure to allow "breathing space" for enemies and objects. For example, I find it rather uncomfortable seeing four Podoboos over tough one-blocked wide pits (as Will pointed it out). More "diluted" levels which means by separating the individual obstacles by a tad bit would make space for the level to look illusionary longer, and allows inserting a few enemies and coins, etc. as you do so.

Villager103

Post » 27 May 2018, 13:58

Thing is, I can't actually change the game over/mappack complete screens, though i can move the image down a little.

The issues with level difficulty have been fixed and will be seen in the full version.

bingus

Post » 29 Aug 2023, 15:21

i know it's been 3 years since this came out, but how do i use the hawk door from smb2 in the AE version for other mappacks

SankeySMM2

Post » 29 Aug 2023, 16:46

Open the Mari0 AE DLC tab and open the project SNES demo. You'll find "hawkdoor" somewhere inside enemies.