[V2.B.8 3-5-12] TCTBN - Test Chambers To Be Named

Mapping related threads and questions go in here!
TDTwix

Post » 05 Mar 2012, 02:23

'Kay, so. This is my first level I've made in mari0. Ever. I couldn't come up with a name, so I named it what I've named it until I know what to name it as.
The only level I've put in here is kinda short, but there's about 3 jumps in it that are some pretty huge bitches to complete and there's some quick timing involved as well, plus at least some thinking required if you don't play many puzzle games or anything.
I'm planning on making more levels, but I'm too lazy. Maybe I'll stop procrastinating some other time.
Anyways, yeah. Here, enjoy: I'M OUTDATED DON'T CLICK ME :C

UPDATE! SECOND CHAMBER THING. ALSO FIXED ELEVATOR IN THE FIRST CHAMBER.
DHAWNLOOD

Known stuff that happens that pisses me off as much as you:
-Sometimes the box in chamber 2 stops working. I have no clue why or how to fix it, it seems at random.
-If you jump too high, the superlasers will make your game bluescreen and spit LUA errors at you. So don't even think about cheating, buckaroo.
-Same as above, but at random too. Only happened once to me, so you should be fine.
Last edited by TDTwix on 06 Mar 2012, 03:22, edited 2 times in total.

Filio

Post » 05 Mar 2012, 02:56

This is actually a pretty nice level. It seems to focus on platforming a lot more than other levels, but actually gets you to think it through.

Only thing is that you should put the elevator 6 blocks away from the flag so Mario disappears and the game says that you beat it instead of having to restart Mari0. So basically move the elevator two blocks back.

Ophiuchus

Post » 05 Mar 2012, 02:59

Map itself looks neat, even though it's only one level to complete.
The puzzle(s) are made for spicy gamers and for myself, I was struggling a bit on the last one with the duo laser, but got it on the second try.
Might say it's one of a few out here that are somewhat "challenging".

Overal, I tried like 2-3 times but then got it done.

This project got a nice future for sure if you keep up with those kind of ideas.
... whilst, I really like the idea to exploit the hitbox of mario onto the last puzzle, props to you.

TDTwix

Post » 05 Mar 2012, 03:07

Filio wrote:This is actually a pretty nice level. It seems to focus on platforming a lot more than other levels, but actually gets you to think it through.

Only thing is that you should put the elevator 6 blocks away from the flag so Mario disappears and the game says that you beat it instead of having to restart Mari0. So basically move the elevator two blocks back.
Thanks. I'll fix that sometime soon, supposed to be doing my homework now. I tested it as when I got to the flag and then I saved it, I didn't know that you had to restart it like that. Sorry.
Ophiuchus wrote:Map itself looks neat, even though it's only one level to complete.
The puzzle(s) are made for spicy gamers and for myself, I was struggling a bit on the last one with the duo laser, but got it on the second try.
Might say it's one of a few out here that are somewhat "challenging".

Overal, I tried like 2-3 times but then got it done.

This project got a nice future for sure if you keep up with those kind of ideas.
... whilst, I really like the idea to exploit the hitbox of mario onto the last puzzle, props to you.
Thanks to you too. I was aiming for a challenging level. The first part I was going to build onto more, but I couldn't really find anything I could do with it, so I separated it from the laser part. I wanted it to be a puzzle where you had to open up the second laser somehow, and I did, but then I thought "oh, let's use the extra box for something too." so I added a button and some more lasers to kill you just for fun.
Originally, I actually had one more block of portal surface to make the jump easier since I originally thought it was impossible, but I made it over there while I was testing and so I took it away to torture you some more.
I'm not sure if I'm going to start going towards just "I'm an ass who likes killing you" kind of puzzle or if I'll keep going with the "what am I supposed to do oh I get it now" way.

Ophiuchus

Post » 05 Mar 2012, 03:24

TDTwix wrote:Thanks to you too. I was aiming for a challenging level. The first part I was going to build onto more, but I couldn't really find anything I could do with it, so I separated it from the laser part. I wanted it to be a puzzle where you had to open up the second laser somehow, and I did, but then I thought "oh, let's use the extra box for something too." so I added a button and some more lasers to kill you just for fun.
Originally, I actually had one more block of portal surface to make the jump easier since I originally thought it was impossible, but I made it over there while I was testing and so I took it away to torture you some more.
I'm not sure if I'm going to start going towards just "I'm an ass who likes killing you" kind of puzzle or if I'll keep going with the "what am I supposed to do oh I get it now" way.
Well, I guess I like the first idea with "I'm an ass who likes killing you" more.
It seperates the artistical (I saw people now working with custom tilesets and working on remaking other Mario games) fact of Mari0 and also adds a factor which is different to those "artistic challenging" maps, in whom you think for like 5 seconds to beat the puzzle.

I don't know but you may add something in your future maps which consist in running back and forth to open the goal, with the superb killing options, it sure would flip people out.
And as an global excuse: "It is possible but you might never had played Hardcore Mario Bros. before".

Go with that and good luck with your future projects.

Btw. in Portal 1/2 there are some test chambers where you can simply cheat the whole system and find out several shortcuts.
I'm sure that your map also can be exploited like that, haha just don't worry that you made it too hard to beat, there will always be a second option or a thought process that'll beat your system.

TDTwix

Post » 06 Mar 2012, 03:20

Update. Fixed stuff.

Eeyup.