The Docks [SE Beta 9]

Mapping related threads and questions go in here!
Wilo

Post » 18 Feb 2015, 04:17

Hi.

The levels you are about to play were made in roughly 3 hours. The tileset took forever for me though. You can use it if you want, but you'd have to give credit.
If you're wondering the levels are 100% possible for humans, and I know that because I'm 99.999% sure I'm human (or at least human enough) and able to beat these levels. Have fun, although you may be in agony and if you are I am in no way responsible. All aboard the ridiculousness train.

Inser unfunny forum joke relating to credibility and screenshots here:
These are imported from the city-state of Texas itself so of course they're big.
Download (version 1.0)

Download (version 1.1)

Download (version 1.2)

downlaod (v.1.2.1) latest
Changelog
v.1.1
-added additional music: credit to jonathan coulton and nintendo
-added an icon
-polished up levels a bit
-fixed bugs

v.1.2
-fixed more bugs
-added a new level
-added a new, impressive boss fight (to be continued .. soon)
-polished stuff up
-made backgrounds dynamic-ish
-added music
-no more endless loops
-30% more firebars
v.1.2.1
-fixed a hilarious bug that everyone would've loved that involved spooks and frightening fasts
I can sort of feel the condescending reviews now.
Last edited by Wilo on 19 Feb 2015, 05:59, edited 3 times in total.

B-Man99

Post » 18 Feb 2015, 04:28

condescending review: you forgot the t in insert

HugoBDesigner

Post » 18 Feb 2015, 05:19

So, here's my first review on a mappack, I guess...

1-1: It was pretty hard, but fun. It took me some time to realize that light tiles were portalable, and the time thing kind of scared me at first. The pipe entrance is offset by one block, which also took me a while to realize, so I thought that the tube was broken or something.

2-1: Those gap-jumps were pretty hard to get, and for some reason Steam activity (like people chatting or getting online) lagged the game, so when you started talking to me you unintentionally made the game harder. The pipe here was right, though.

3-1: It was pretty easy compared to the two previous ones. I couldn't get the 3 coin blocks. I got  the first and the last activation blocks only , which was actually the solution (or one possible solution).

4-1: It was also pretty easy, but here you've turned into a completely different level style. It was more of walking than "portaling" or "parkouring". Also, you accidentally made it loop, which made me VERY confused.

4-1_1: Played through the editor. VERY easy as well, had random fast music (dunno if you or Mari0 SE, though), and it was very short. Also, sublevels sucks, make it so you can play this on a normal world instead. I hate dying and returning to the first level :/

General: It didn't have an icon. Not a huge detail, but it gives a nice touch. The difficulty curve it totally inverse. After world 2, I was expecting things to get REALLY hard. The design is VERY simple, which is not bad, but could still be worked on a bit more. One last thing: having 3 lives only can also get a bit annoying if you die as easily as I do.

Overall grade: 8/10. Nice idea and great challenges, but needs polishing and better difficulty curves.

B-Man99

Post » 18 Feb 2015, 05:52

HugoBDesigner wrote:for some reason Steam activity (like people chatting or getting online) lagged the game
Same happened to me.
Tuesday evening is the typical server maintenance time, steam community actually usually goes down for a short period of time. Today it didn't, so maybe they're somehow connected?

Either way I digress. This was a really enjoyable mappack, provided it's actually the first time I've picked up Mari0 in months. As far as actual criticism goes I think Hugo did a great job. Thanks for sharing Wilo! :)

HugoBDesigner

Post » 18 Feb 2015, 06:25

Yeah, the last paragraph of what B-Man said stands up my opinion. It's been months since I've last touched Mari0, but I still really enjoyed it.
Just posting this in case it wasn't clear in my last post that, despite the criticism I had fun.

Also, thanks for your criticism over my criticism! I was going to criticize your criticism over my criticism, but I don't wanna cause an inception here...

Wilo

Post » 19 Feb 2015, 05:49

version 1.2 is now uploaded. have fun.

EDIT: I just realized there wa a major problem that involved me forgetting to apply conditions to an animation causing hugo to have a heart attack

HugoBDesigner

Post » 19 Feb 2015, 06:57

Criticism 2.0, engage!

1-1: It was okay. Not hard, but not piece of cake either. Medium difficulty, but nicely put together.
1-2: Was a bit hard on the start, but it was fine in the rest. And by fine I mean medium, not hard but nor easy. Also, I didn't game over on it, but I was worried that if I did, I'd have to play 1-1 again. I'll talk about lives again in the end.

2-1: Not much changed. Still a slightly harder level.

3-1: I could  skip the first platform segment with portals . Not sure if that was intentional or not. It was pretty small, but definitely clearer and better put together. I'd call this one an easy one, though.

4-1: Definitely better, and you incorporated the tileset style. Still medium, but pretty nice.

4-2: The boss is still VERY easy, but at least it is more "frightening". I can accidentally get stuck before the wall is closed for the fight. When I die, the screen stops scrolling too. The  fireballs are "killed" by the lasers (probably a problem with custom enemies) . After I defeat him,  the button that removes the walls "suggest" that I should use portals, which I can't, since they're removed from me, so the only way I could proceed was via stuck-on-wall-sliding-thingy . Also not sure if intended.

Lives in this map are useless, actually. Even if you die until game over, you can get back to the world you were through the world-selection screen. So having lives just makes it a bit more inaccessible. I'd rather if you did it infinite lives, but that's just how I feel.
Also, for anyone reading/playing/downloading, you'll need the fixed SE beta 9, otherwise it'll crash the game before the battle.
Fun little story: I was about to ask Wilo where to find the SE beta 9 fix, when I found this: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4565
I looked at the OP and thought "Is this some kind of sick joke?" and laughed at myself.

So, grade on this update: 9/10. It's a really fun mappack, but some levels are a bit short and medium. If that's what you're aiming for, go for it, but from the first version I thought you were aiming for very hard levels. If you ARE aiming for hard levels, just don't make them impossible, please.

Also, if anyone's gonna play this, TURN OFF STEAM!!! People getting online or talking to you causes lag, and lag is the worst thing you'll want on a parkour mappack :P

Mari0_Player

Post » 20 Feb 2015, 17:47

Well dang. and it was all so neat up to here...

HugoBDesigner

Post » 20 Feb 2015, 20:28

You need the fixed version of SE 9. Read my last post ;)

Qwerbey

Post » 22 Feb 2015, 03:42

Hugo has already said a lot important things, so I won't reiterate what he's already done.
Only the first level has any music. I'm sure that's caused by some glitch, judging by the two unused songs in the files.
Another problem is that the level design simply did not match the theme. It felt more like a building with a sea background than an actual dock. Just make the levels have open ceilings and it'll fit better.
I have a few gripes with 4-2 specifically. First off, I do not like the unnecessarily long hallways before and after the fight. The brazen box/button latch just seems unprofessional; you can just use an R/S Flip-Flop entity. Additionally, the animation to hold the camera is glitchy when you die, holding it where you respawn or even the boss chamber. Even worse, dying during the fight is something made very easy by the tremor before the fight. Lower the strength and it'll be fine. Lastly, it's simply too easy,  as you can just portal to the button to kill Bowser. 
To be honest, I can't really think of that many good things to say about it. It's just of average quality; all the good aspects are basically invisible.

Worth Downloading:
Unless you really want a new mappack, no. It's just okay.

Superjustinbros

Post » 26 Feb 2015, 18:35

I will say though, thank you for using the background I ripped from Batsu & Terii for this mappack.