mari0: Random Edition

Mapping related threads and questions go in here!
Snake_Hugger

Post » 09 Nov 2014, 23:02

Hi! Welcome to mari0: Randomness Edition! Here's what to expect!
~New Music and Images!
~Random Stuff!
~A new block!
~Perfect for both the expert and the n00b! Each level is a different skill level! (Mostly easy)
And more!!!!!!

The link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/dtndi ... pack_2.zip

Notice: Something happened when I was playing where you couldn't play certain worlds. Hopefully I fixed it.

11/9/14- finished game.

HowToEatGirafes

Post » 09 Nov 2014, 23:45

You may want to add screenshEDIToEDITts , for people to see what they're downloading , the suspenseisgood butmaybe too much ... You should add more information . But anyway , Welcome to the forums , hope you stay and like it !

Snake_Hugger wrote:11/9/14- finished game.
WAKE UP AMERICA!
Last edited by HowToEatGirafes on 11 Nov 2014, 12:05, edited 1 time in total.

Mari0_Player

Post » 10 Nov 2014, 02:47

Well. That was certainly...
unique... Image
there's a difference between funny and stupid though...

Qwerbey

Post » 10 Nov 2014, 21:04

Your Post:
Not only did you neglect to post screenshots, you also neglected to say what version of Mari0 this is for (1.6, by the way).
2/10

The Actual Mappack:
I couldn't really think highly of a mappack with "random" in the name, especially one where the folder isn't renamed. It's incredibly monotonous as well as annoying, and not even in a funny way. I was actually going to make a mappack somewhat like this, but, well, there's a reason I stopped.

Level By Level Analysis:
World 1:
1-1: That one block wide tube is just annoying.
1-2: Non-indicative pipes are just bad. Also, your custom music is kind of neat at first, but quickly becomes annoying.
1-3: This level is just awful; your only obstacle is literally just the time limit.
1-4: There's not really much to say about this one.

World 2:
2-1: That custom tile is really annoying.
2-2: Hey, the mappack's easy enough already, we don't need free lives too.

The Rest:
3-1: You seriously forgot to warp to the next world.
4-1: I'm not even sure this counts as a level.
5-1: You managed to combine the worst aspects of the previous two levels.
6-1: So you have a background for this but you don't use it? I guess it wouldn't really change anything; you just go down a toilet. Also, same problem as 3-1.
7-1: It's just a bumpy road; there is no challenge. Again, no warping.
8-1: This level is so bad, I don't even know how to articulate it; it's just a flagpole with a time limit of 1400.
Worth Downloading:
No. Hell no.
Last edited by Qwerbey on 22 Feb 2015, 04:58, edited 1 time in total.

HowToEatGirafes

Post » 11 Nov 2014, 12:34

WHY ?? why did i clicked this button ?

Your mappack , My thoughts
1-1 : Ok ... it's a maze underwater
1-2 : Hey ! How funny if i wouldn't indicate pipes so people will die again and again in the same ugly level !
1-3 : This level is bad , plain , and useless
1-4 : Glad there's a warpzone so i can go up to world 8 and finish the mappack !

2-1 : Amazing face is now Annoying
2-2 : ... A 1up grinder ... so original

3-1 : Easy

4-1 : Shitty

5-1 : Easy AND Shitty

6-1 : Shitty (toilet joke)

7-1 : This isn't even a level , you just made a quick path with shaking your mouse ... Also Easy

8-1 : Easy and FINALLY the end !
Rating : -3/20 With annoying music , ugly backgrounds , tile overuse and mappack that was made in less than 20 min .

MM102

Post » 12 Nov 2014, 03:05

stop posting reviews with scores like "-3/10" I doubt its the shittiest mappack on this site, granted it may not be the best but stop treating it like its worse than small pox.

OrbitalBlueprint

Post » 12 Nov 2014, 17:32

MM102 wrote:stop posting reviews with scores like "-3/10" I doubt its the shittiest mappack on this site, granted it may not be the best but stop treating it like its worse than small pox.
Literally Hitler

Automatik

Post » 12 Nov 2014, 21:47

MM102 wrote:stop posting reviews with scores like "-3/10" I doubt its the shittiest mappack on this site, granted it may not be the best but stop treating it like its worse than small pox.
I think the -3/10 was a joke. It was still very bad, and I wouldn't give it more than 2/10.
There is "tried to make a mappack but made enemy spam because I'm bad at level design" and "didn't even try to make a good mappack" ; And this mappack is definitely in the 2nd category.
Btw, I'm going to load and complete that review draft I first wrote earlier when the mappack just came out, but then I didn't have enough time to finish it. So that's what I'm going to do:
This mappack is bad. For a "random" mappack, you don't use a lot of tiles. The music is some weird thing composed of window error sounds that doesn't fit any mood, and could as well be replaced with the star music. The levels themselves don't give any interesting challenge.(No, figuring out where you put your pipes or if there is even a pipe is not an interesting challenge.) Also you left a lot of white space in these levels for some reason.

1-1 : Ugly, boring. You just walk through a maze.
The first level is going to be the first impression from the player with the mappack. You should polish it a lot.
1-1_2(Why not _1, btw? Not that it matter, was just wondering.) : Oh, so I have to portal-climb to get to the flag... Which is a floating flag btw for some reason.
Show that you put work in your mappack : Add decorations like bushes, clouds, mountains, etc...

1-2: Ugly, and no way to actually get to the flag. Also, what's that 3rd pipe, and how do you access it ? (Spoiler : you can't. It's oriented to the right and there is no ground in front of it.)
Only add stuff that actually have a purpose for your mappack. It has to serve gameplay, eye-candy or story, and not just look like it does. Otherwise you confuse and frustrate the player
1-2_1: Okay, there is an hidden pipe on the goomba cage??(Just found it out via the editor) That's just bullshit, how can you guess it? Also too much useless space
Don't obfuscate challenges for no reason.
1-2_2: Unremarkable. Again, no challenge. Also you used two pipe color for the pipe.
Your levels should also have a reason to be. At least some challenge or some story element. Otherwise it doesn't entertainme the player.
1-2_4(??): Ok, I see you have managed to master the wonderful art of backgrounds... Next time, use an actual background, that isn't just a tiled image of Ness with a ugly white border underneath it. Also, again, how do you guess that you have to use that [?] block as a pipe?

1-2_5: No challenge. At least you had the thoughtfulness of having an actual flag bar, even if it's too high compared to the initial height of the flag.
1-3: Empty level. I know that the time limit is the challenge, but all you have to do is to press D+run. Even for 1-1, this is too easy. Either you don't know about the timelimit and you die because you took your time(not likely, since the music is faster.), or you know about it, and then the level is pretty much already solved.

1-4: Use pipes for your warp-zone. It doesn't make sense to have to press down while being on a [?] block .
2-1: You put solid bricks everywhere except where it make sense(as ground).
2-2: Use pipe for pipe-related stuff.
A level's graphics is the unifying theory of a rationalized space and a game engine. The level's look is grounded in reality, inspired by the study of art and game-design, yet technologically advanced and open to imagination and magic.

Tiles and backgrounds of the level provide visual cues that are grounded in reality. The use of familiar graphical attributes helps players quickly understand affordances. Yet the flexibility of Mari0 creates new affordances that supercede those in the physical world, without breaking the rules of physics.

The fundamentals of light, surface, and movement are key to conveying how tiles stay, interact, and exist in space and in relation to each other. Realistic lighting shows seams, divides space, and indicates moving parts.

Also I totally didn't copy this from the Material Design's presentation page. What I mean is that your level should visually make sense. It doesn't make sense to have Ness backgrounds and Awesome-face tiles, or to have to enter [?] blocks and goomba cages to continue.

2-3: 1-Up spam. Putting something like this entirely remove the point of lifes. What's the reason you want to switch from limited lifes to practically unlimited lifes?
Give power-ups to the player when you think they will need them.
3-1: No flagbar, no challenge, ugly castle.
4-1: No challenge in this level. Also don't use your custom music when it doesn't make sense. (But then your music doesn't make sense.)
The music should help and compliment the gameplay.
5-1: No point to that level. Once again, you just have to press D. At least put an enemy or something!
6-1: Ok, so we go down the toilet. Not the best joke you could come up with. (Once again, mostly useless level, and you have to guess that yes, you have to go down the toilet.)
6-1_1:... For an instant win...
7-1: No challenge. You literally just drew a line in the editor and though it was worth releasing.
8-1: That flagpole-behind-a-hole is an acceptable ending for 8-1.

Rating : 1/10
My RNG is better than yours.

Look, I know it's a random mappack. It's the theme of the mappack. Sure.
But :
  • "Random" isn't a good theme. Either you try actually make it random (As in "018977023186941531081940318964163" random.), and then the level design, aesthetic will overall be not very good. Or you just make it random (As in "banana waffles and other foods" random.), and then the mappack is not very funny since random humor doesn't make sense. (But as long as the mappack is fun...) So "random" is not a good theme. But here, you basically made a lazy mappack then called it random, which bring me to the next point :
  • The goal of a mappack is to be played. So make a mappack you want to play. you shouldn't make/publish a mappack that you do not want to play, because it will never be good. And your mappack was clearly not designed to be fun for the player. It might be fun(ny) for you, alright then, but in that case, there is no need to publish the mappack.

B-Man99

Post » 12 Nov 2014, 22:00

HowToEatGirafes wrote:WHY ?? why did i clicked this button ?
What about why did you write such a bad score when your review is actually worse than the mappack ever could be.

There's this thing called constructive criticism. You should try that. It's where you elaborate on what you do and don't like to help someone instead of detail-less not-at-all-useful-in-any-way insults. ("Easy. Shitty." "Easy. Shitty." Do you understand why the creator might not be able to improve himself given that to work on?!?)

Oh and @Snake_Hugger - Auto's review is probably what you should focus your attention on. I hate to see these threads go to shit and lose potential just because reviewers don't think things through.

My apologies by the way for the delayed response and not actually playing the mappack. Usually I promise to try out mappacks after using up the thread to concern myself with its minor topics, but with MM102 and Auto's reviews I doubt I can contribute much more and I'm not missing much.

MM102

Post » 12 Nov 2014, 22:28

The review was mostly negative and not constructive way either which kinda ticks me off. A lot of bad mappacks have that jokingly bad score and a review already and I feel like it doesn't add anything but "It sucks".