4 Super Mario Levels with Portal Gun

Mapping related threads and questions go in here!
Yoshimitsu126

Post » 03 Sep 2014, 07:16

Version 1.6
Screen size: If your screen is 1080P, scale 2. If lower, it shouldn't matter too much.
Run / B Button: Caps Lock
Allows Mario to run with the A & D keys without holding another key down.
Jump Button: Space
Edit: Title changed in order to prevent confusion

Download the file below!
http://www.mediafire.com/download/hiduo ... owsers.zip

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JR6CKZVHPw[/youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JR6CKZVHPw
World 1-1 Walkthrough

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRSAb0K ... s4crmcVWFg[/youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRSAb0K ... s4crmcVWFg
World 1-2 Walkthrough

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Skg0lKZ-owc[/youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Skg0lKZ-owc
World 1-3 Walkthrough

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbAx29h ... s4crmcVWFg[/youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbAx29h ... s4crmcVWFg
World 1-4 Walkthrough

Planning to add final level walkthrough!

Any viewers that need help to import my map files into mari0:
1. Select Map Packs on title screen to go to the Map Packs screen.
2. At the Map Packs screen Press M to open your computer folder of mari0
3. Open mappacks in the opened mari0 folder
4. After unzipping my file, move it to the mappacks folder.
5. At the Map Pack screen find and select my map file. Will have an image in the background like the first image of this post.
6. go back to the title screen and play 1 player!

Enjoy!
Last edited by Yoshimitsu126 on 04 Sep 2014, 01:01, edited 9 times in total.

HowToEatGirafes

Post » 03 Sep 2014, 08:04

Welcome to the forums, also it's not bad but do you just shoot portals to move vertically ?

Also , If you want to put a youtube video , you can click on "youtube" when you are writing your post like this :

Yoshimitsu126

Post » 03 Sep 2014, 08:16

HowToEatGirafes wrote:Welcome to the forums, also it's not bad but do you just shoot portals to move vertically ?

Also , If you want to put a youtube video , you can click on "youtube" when you are writing your post like this :
Yeah, for this first level of my mappack you're mostly using portals to move vertically to shoot portals below walled off platforms to avoid the pits between. I thought it was an interesting gimmick that might get people to download my mappack to play the other three levels : ). The other three levels require more action and the final one is definitely interesting :-P

It was also inspired one of the test chamber in Portal 1 that required this same method. I forgot which one it was though...

And thanks for the youtube tip! I'll try it out.

Firaga

Post » 03 Sep 2014, 22:03

Welcome to the patented Firaga Mappack Rating System.
Sit back, and relax as we take a look at these levels.
1-1:
- Alright, right from the get-go, we need more time. 130 seconds isn't enough.
- Also failed 1UP placement. It isn't collidable with the coin, so you can't get one.
- Cut off water tiles hanging in midair.
- Erm... what do these down arrows mean, exactly?
- More cutoff water. And fire coming out of water.
- Randomly spewed bullet bill tiles.
- What the hell do you want me to do at this giant ?-block cent sign? These aren't even portal elements, portal elements are the cube.
- Also why did you put these random drains everywhere?
- Again, misplaced 1-UP placement. No collidable block.
- One of the Piranha plants eats through the ground.
- You know, some people aren't that good with wall-portal jumping. There are too many of these in place, remove some of these.
- Oh yeah, and don't make the levels random tiles spewed everywhere.
- Aaaaaaand then Hammer Bro spam. Great. Because everyone loves that NO WAIT. They don't.
- Misplaced Multicoin blocks.
- You only need one Bill Start. Placing more won't increase the spawn of them any quicker.
- And you place Bill Ends... just to place Bill Starts again?
- Also you don't need more than one Finish entity.

tl;dr this level is bad. The tiles get cut-off, there's no theme at all, and it all looks like a big level you just threw random stuff in, and called it "portal elements". You mean AN element, because all you've been using is the portal gun. I haven't seen any cubes. 2/10.

----------

1-2:
- More cutoff tiles.
- Piranha spam and Fish spam. Boring and stupid.
- I mean there isn't even two powerups at the end. Come on.
- Hammer bros you can't defend against because you GAVE NO POWERUPS.
- Where do the "portal elements" appear again? Because I don't see any.
- You put the Lakit End's before the Lakitus... Bravo.

1-2_1:
- More misplaced mushrooms not being able to be grabbed.
- You can't even go up the damn pipe to get out. Make sure your stuff is fixed before release.

1-2_2:
- More cutoff tiles.
- Oh theeere are the powerups!
- If you were going for Kaizo mario, no. This isn't it. Kaizo didn't need a billion enemies to be batshit insanely hard.

tl;dr Worse because the enemy spam here is fucking unreal. 1/10.

----------

1-3:
- Holy spam batman! Seriously tone down your enemies.
- Isn't this supposed to be... underwater? Why are the fish flying mid-air?
- AND YOU CAN'T EVEN RUN FROM THE BULLETS FAST ENOUGH!... Or you wouldn't be able to if they actually WORKED PROPERLY.
- Bullet bills spawn in mid-air.
- Big unavoidable wave of fish. If you lost your firepower here, just give up.
- BLOOPERS ARE AWFUL IF THERE'S MORE THAN ONE OR TWO AT A TIME.

1-3_1:
- Don't enter the castle correctly.

tl;dr it's better, but far from spam-less. Also it's boring. 3/10

----------

1-4:
- Unavoidable fish. So basically if you lost the firepower, you are instantly dead. You don't get to try again.
- Bullet bills from midair instead of the LAUNCHERS. You know, the things Bullets are supposed to be shot out of?
- The usual spam.
- Also you put a flag... just so you couldn't get it? Makes sense.

tl;dr level completely unplayable because of the fish at the start. 1/10 no effort was made.
tl;dr the tl;dr's, it's a bad enemy-spam ridden mappack willed with all kinds of misplaced mushrooms and various other things, bad tile diarrhea, and overall, a bad time. Hell, there weren't even any portal elements, except for the portal gun, which is false. No cubes, no faithplates, you get nothing of the sort. I have to give it a 2/10, just plain awful.
Last edited by Firaga on 03 Sep 2014, 22:17, edited 1 time in total.

B-Man99

Post » 03 Sep 2014, 22:16

Obligatory don't take it too harshly she's never given more than a 3

Wait
What
Firaga your skills are slipping
Is this simultaneously 2/10 and 1/10 you rated it twice

Firaga

Post » 03 Sep 2014, 22:18

B-Man99 wrote:Obligatory don't take it too harshly she's never given more than a 3

Wait
What
Firaga your skills are slipping
Is this simultaneously 2/10 and 1/10 you rated it twice
No I didn't.
The 1/10 was for the LEVEL not the whole pack.

HowToEatGirafes

Post » 03 Sep 2014, 22:27

No , his note at the pack is 1,75/10

Superjustinbros

Post » 03 Sep 2014, 23:08

Yoshi, judging by how you typed the OP it seems like you think no one here knows how to map our controls or install map packs.

Second, one big thing I have to mention is this: Playtest your map packs. If you can't beat them or have significant troubles in doing so, go back and tone down the difficulty. Everything that Firaga said would sum up my opinions of this mappack.

Yoshimitsu126

Post » 03 Sep 2014, 23:13

Firaga wrote:Welcome to the patented Firaga Mappack Rating System.
Sit back, and relax as we take a look at these levels.
1-1:
- Alright, right from the get-go, we need more time. 130 seconds isn't enough.
- Also failed 1UP placement. It isn't collidable with the coin, so you can't get one.
- Cut off water tiles hanging in midair.
- Erm... what do these down arrows mean, exactly?
- More cutoff water. And fire coming out of water.
- Randomly spewed bullet bill tiles.
- What the hell do you want me to do at this giant ?-block cent sign? These aren't even portal elements, portal elements are the cube.
- Also why did you put these random drains everywhere?
- Again, misplaced 1-UP placement. No collidable block.
- One of the Piranha plants eats through the ground.
- You know, some people aren't that good with wall-portal jumping. There are too many of these in place, remove some of these.
- Oh yeah, and don't make the levels random tiles spewed everywhere.
- Aaaaaaand then Hammer Bro spam. Great. Because everyone loves that NO WAIT. They don't.
- Misplaced Multicoin blocks.
- You only need one Bill Start. Placing more won't increase the spawn of them any quicker.
- And you place Bill Ends... just to place Bill Starts again?
- Also you don't need more than one Finish entity.

tl;dr this level is bad. The tiles get cut-off, there's no theme at all, and it all looks like a big level you just threw random stuff in, and called it "portal elements". You mean AN element, because all you've been using is the portal gun. I haven't seen any cubes. 2/10.

----------

1-2:
- More cutoff tiles.
- Piranha spam and Fish spam. Boring and stupid.
- I mean there isn't even two powerups at the end. Come on.
- Hammer bros you can't defend against because you GAVE NO POWERUPS.
- Where do the "portal elements" appear again? Because I don't see any.
- You put the Lakit End's before the Lakitus... Bravo.

1-2_1:
- More misplaced mushrooms not being able to be grabbed.
- You can't even go up the damn pipe to get out. Make sure your stuff is fixed before release.

1-2_2:
- More cutoff tiles.
- Oh theeere are the powerups!
- If you were going for Kaizo mario, no. This isn't it. Kaizo didn't need a billion enemies to be batshit insanely hard.

tl;dr Worse because the enemy spam here is fucking unreal. 1/10.

----------

1-3:
- Holy spam batman! Seriously tone down your enemies.
- Isn't this supposed to be... underwater? Why are the fish flying mid-air?
- AND YOU CAN'T EVEN RUN FROM THE BULLETS FAST ENOUGH!... Or you wouldn't be able to if they actually WORKED PROPERLY.
- Bullet bills spawn in mid-air.
- Big unavoidable wave of fish. If you lost your firepower here, just give up.
- BLOOPERS ARE AWFUL IF THERE'S MORE THAN ONE OR TWO AT A TIME.

1-3_1:
- Don't enter the castle correctly.

tl;dr it's better, but far from spam-less. Also it's boring. 3/10

----------

1-4:
- Unavoidable fish. So basically if you lost the firepower, you are instantly dead. You don't get to try again.
- Bullet bills from midair instead of the LAUNCHERS. You know, the things Bullets are supposed to be shot out of?
- The usual spam.
- Also you put a flag... just so you couldn't get it? Makes sense.

tl;dr level completely unplayable because of the fish at the start. 1/10 no effort was made.
tl;dr the tl;dr's, it's a bad enemy-spam ridden mappack willed with all kinds of misplaced mushrooms and various other things, bad tile diarrhea, and overall, a bad time. Hell, there weren't even any portal elements, except for the portal gun, which is false. No cubes, no faithplates, you get nothing of the sort. I have to give it a 2/10, just plain awful.
I guess my level design were pretty questionable. XD

I respect your opinion and will not try to change your feelings about my level design but I'll explain why I did certain things if you're curious.

1 - 1 concerns:
The time is a little short, but if you know what you're doing, this level is actually pretty short as well. The idea is to launch Mario high in the air and shoot portals at other blocks below.

The arrows and the 2 column of coins helped guide the player where to shoot the portal. If you need an idea, watch my video in the first post.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JR6CKZVHPw

In my opinion, Portal element require more than cube. it also requires flinging and manipulating the environment to get over areas you couldn't without the use of the gun. But if this isn't the common view point of Portal then I'll retract my opinion.

I agree the Lakitus are pretty silly. I did want them to arrive at the end of the game as they appeared to make them look like creepers. Also, they were prevalent in world 1-4. I tried to make the player see the connection between these two levels.

1-2:
First off, I have crummy knowledge on how the pipe works as you can see in the video. Used the arrows to help clue the player. But its understandable if its too cryptic.

There are power-ups in this level, but its hidden. If you're walk/run to the left of the white pipe below the coins in the check mark formation, you go into a sublevel.

You can defeat the hammer bros by placing a portal at the brick behind them. You have to aim a little bit because the indent to reach it is small. Then create the second portal to the edge next to the Koopa walking to the hammer bros. If you kick its shell, it will come back to hit the hammer bro by entering the portals.
Here's my playthrough of 1-2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRSAb0K ... s4crmcVWFg

1-3:
The bullets are supposed to be a pain, but there's a pattern to how they spawn. They don't spawn at the same place, but they all appear in one column or small avoidable burst. I'll upload a video of the level. But again, you might not have like this level design and that's perfectly fine.

The fish are avoidable. If you create one random portal and wait for the fish to pass it, you can swim left, make a portal there, enter, and exit the first portal. The fish will still swim to the left of the level.

Bloopers again can be avoided by placing the right portals. Again, I'll put a video up if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Skg0lKZ-owc
World 1-3 Walkthrough

1 - 4:
Fish can be avoided if you put a portal on the ceiling beyond them and a portal below you at the start of the level. It' is a little unfair that the fish may be too close at the start though.

Bullets spawning randomly suck, but again, they appear at one column at a time. If you time it right, you can avoid them. And the part where there's koopas, fish, and bullet bills, you can use portals on the ground to get rid of the flying koopas. That way you can focus on passing the fish and bullet bills.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbAx29h ... s4crmcVWFg

I'm sad to hear this wasn't as great as I thought it was but I hope i could explain some of my questionable level designs. I designed them to be cryptic and seemingly impossible, but I may have gone overboard. And I definitely should make a few thing run better (pipes and exit castle animation). I appreciate your review and will take account of your advice in the future.

TurretBot

Post » 10 Sep 2014, 06:28

B-Man99 wrote:Obligatory don't take it too harshly she's never given more than a 3
Incorrect, she gave Saulo a 2000.