[WIP] [SE] Think With Portals.

Mapping related threads and questions go in here!
RadDevVan

Post » 06 Aug 2014, 08:02

this heading image counts as a Screenshot

So far it's not very Impressive but soon I hope it will be! I do need some help so if you want to be apart of the Map pack Development!

Map Pack Development Team application Form
Skype name (Input Steam Name if you don't have Skype and clarify if it's a skype or steam name):
Role in Development (Music, Tilesets, ECT):
What is the Cake?:
If you want daily Updates check out the blog i've made (as of writing this, no posts)
http://mari0twp.tumblr.com/

No download is set and no release is set but once there is there will be a Notification

Thanks for Intrest.
Last edited by RadDevVan on 08 Aug 2014, 09:36, edited 2 times in total.

HowToEatGirafes

Post » 06 Aug 2014, 10:56

RadDevVan wrote:What is the Cake?:
A LIE.

Anyway good luck on designing your levels and welcome to the forums !

Villager103

Post » 06 Aug 2014, 14:08

Cool! By the way, here are some suggestions.
Don't use only one kind of nonportalable tile or it makes the chamber look like shit.
Use the indication lights and powerlines, link them to the power source, and done.
Keep logic gates invisible, and don't visually hook them up with powerlines.
Try using a custom tileset! I have one on the Tileset Repositorium.
Decorate your chamber! Add observation rooms, pneumatic diversity vents, custom backgrounds and cameras! (my tilseset has the cameras)
Add style! Is the chamber overgrown? Is GLaDOS reconstructing it? Is it in Old Aperture?
Make the maps very atmospheric! Add detailed backgrounds, tiles and custom music! Maybe edit some ambiance into the music! If the chamber is overgrown, add bird and cricket sounds. In the Old Aperture chambers? Add sounds of decaying metal, debris hitting the ground, and rocks splashing into water!
Don't make puzzles too easy, hard or obvious.
Don't add inconsistent difficulty. It sucks when a mappack is hard at the start, and easy at the end.
Try to add story!
Make the player have no portalgun at the start, and give the player the single gun, and later, the dual gun. Maybe mix it up a bit! Why not make the player start out with the orange portal?
Make the theme of the chamber match the test elements. If the theme is Old Aperture, the chamber NEEDS gel. Otherwise, the chamber won't be true to the Portal universe.
Try to reintroduce some of the same chambers that were seen before in the mappack, but with modifications to make it harder. Maybe you could add a dilapidated version of a chamber earlier in the mappack, but take advantage of the fact that the test is broken, and do things like make the exit door malfunction and not open, or break an emancipation grill, or even entirely BREAK a test chamber, but leave some elements still working, and add another way to solve the chamber, so you can take an old puzzle, and turn it into a completely new chamber.

If you follow at least 3 or 4 of these, then I could see this becoming the next 0'Brothers.

RadDevVan

Post » 07 Aug 2014, 05:23

Villager103 wrote:Cool! By the way, here are some suggestions.
Don't use only one kind of nonportalable tile or it makes the chamber look like shit.
Use the indication lights and powerlines, link them to the power source, and done.
Keep logic gates invisible, and don't visually hook them up with powerlines.
Try using a custom tileset! I have one on the Tileset Repositorium.
Decorate your chamber! Add observation rooms, pneumatic diversity vents, custom backgrounds and cameras! (my tilseset has the cameras)
Add style! Is the chamber overgrown? Is GLaDOS reconstructing it? Is it in Old Aperture?
Make the maps very atmospheric! Add detailed backgrounds, tiles and custom music! Maybe edit some ambiance into the music! If the chamber is overgrown, add bird and cricket sounds. In the Old Aperture chambers? Add sounds of decaying metal, debris hitting the ground, and rocks splashing into water!
Don't make puzzles too easy, hard or obvious.
Don't add inconsistent difficulty. It sucks when a mappack is hard at the start, and easy at the end.
Try to add story!
Make the player have no portalgun at the start, and give the player the single gun, and later, the dual gun. Maybe mix it up a bit! Why not make the player start out with the orange portal?
Make the theme of the chamber match the test elements. If the theme is Old Aperture, the chamber NEEDS gel. Otherwise, the chamber won't be true to the Portal universe.
Try to reintroduce some of the same chambers that were seen before in the mappack, but with modifications to make it harder. Maybe you could add a dilapidated version of a chamber earlier in the mappack, but take advantage of the fact that the test is broken, and do things like make the exit door malfunction and not open, or break an emancipation grill, or even entirely BREAK a test chamber, but leave some elements still working, and add another way to solve the chamber, so you can take an old puzzle, and turn it into a completely new chamber.

If you follow at least 3 or 4 of these, then I could see this becoming the next 0'Brothers.
Alright. But I Suck when it comes to consistentcy in Difficulty but i'll try and the Text Boxes don't work right for me, all they do is Show up and a Name shows up, thats it but i do want to have a story, I'll figure it out sooner or later.

Edit 8/7/14: What makes you think this takes place in Aperture Science?