[Mari0 1.6 Mappack] NESari0 (v0.2)

Mapping related threads and questions go in here!
Rikifive

Post » 05 May 2014, 21:21

NESari0
Version 0.2
For Mari0 1.6
INTRODUCTION
In this mappack you travel through various NES games. It surely can bring back some good memories!

LIST OF GAMES INCLUDED IN MAPPACK
WORLD 1. "Big Nose The Caveman" - DONE
WORLD 2. "Chip 'n' Dale Rescue Rangers 2" - DONE
WORLD 3. "Contra" - DONE
WORLD 4. "Fantastic Adventures of Dizzy" - 50%
WORLD 5. "Duck Tales" - 0%
WORLD 6. "Wacky Races" & "PD Fighting" - 0%
WORLD 7. "Hino To Ri" - 0%
WORLD 8. "Castlevania 2 - Simon's quest" - 0%

SCREENSHOTS
< http://imgur.com/a/CKZRl >
DOWNLOAD
Click here to download NESari0 v0.2

/!\ WARNING
This mappack uses a mod, that allows to use more than one custom music. To ensure the mappack has everything it needs preserved, the mod is included in my pack. For instructions look into "README" file.

the mod in question: "Multiple custom music"
created by: worldpeace
thread: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2161

As warned by the author of the mod in the thread, due to lots of custom music in my mappack, the game can go BLACK SCREEN for about 10 seconds at the beginning, because the game loads all the soundtracks at once.
This is "normal" and happens only once. The game works normally afterwards.

THAT'S ALL! HAVE FUN WITH THAT! \:D/

NOTICE
This project is currently abandoned.
Last edited by Rikifive on 05 Jan 2022, 06:21, edited 59 times in total.

Mari0Maker

Post » 05 May 2014, 22:25

Wow, this is looking amazing! I'm very impressed!
I don't have any suggestions at all, just keep working on this, because it's looking great!

Superjustinbros

Post » 05 May 2014, 23:55

There is need to be more than one custom music
If you're making the mappack in SE, you can actually use more than just one music. Make sure they're both in the same folder but titled differently. You can also put "-f" before the .mp3 or .ogg filename tag, and it will play the "fast" version when the timer reaches 100.

Also, I don't mean to be a nuisance, but why Contra? There are other platformer titles that I think could deserve better recognition, especially considering how mainstream and well known Contra is. Big Nose the Caveman isn't that well known (being an unlicensed title), and even for a sequel to an iconic Disney-branded title, Chip 'n' Dale 2 doesn't have as much fame as it's predecessor. Fantastic Adventures of Dizzy (at least outside Europe) and The Little Mermaid are very uncommon, even with the later being a movie tie-in, but DuckTales 2 and Castlevania are huge among NES collectors.

If you want a series of more obscure platformers that could make good Mari0 worlds, I could showcase this.
http://i.imgur.com/9QUU3z7.jpg

Sorry if this post came off as a bit harsh; the current worlds (especially Big Nose) look amazing, and I wish you the best of luck with this mappack.

Rikifive

Post » 14 Jun 2015, 01:18

Hello everybody, sorry for the huge delay etc. I didn't have time for anything.
I abandoned this project, but I decided to post here my demo, because I don't want to waste my work.
This demo has 3 fully finished worlds and a half of 4th.
I don't know if I'm gonna finish this, but for now I'm busy with other projects.
Please read the README file for instructions, since this mappack uses MOD, which I've included in my mappack.
There is the download link, hope you'll like it! ;)
LINK UPDATED AND MOVED TO THE FIRST POST OF THIS THREAD.

H A V E _ F U N !
Last edited by Rikifive on 18 Jan 2020, 01:37, edited 2 times in total.

Rikifive

Post » 15 Jun 2015, 16:23

Changed mappack name from "Gamemix 2" to "NESari0" to fit name to the content better.
Also updated the download link, I hope everything works, if not - let me know.
Last edited by Rikifive on 18 Jan 2020, 01:38, edited 1 time in total.

Superjustinbros

Post » 19 Jun 2015, 18:10

I applaud you for doing a few lesser-known NES titles in this mappack.

Rikifive

Post » 22 Jun 2015, 00:31

Superjustinbros wrote:If you're making the mappack in SE, you can actually use more than just one music. Make sure they're both in the same folder but titled differently. You can also put "-f" before the .mp3 or .ogg filename tag, and it will play the "fast" version when the timer reaches 100.
*Sorry about replying that late*
I tried using SE, but it was broken as balls, I encountered many crashes and that was overall just weird. I'll stick with the 1.6 version.

Also, as you suggested I planned to make these worlds in this mappack:
> Wacky races - I LOVED THAT GAME! Completed MANY times. :D
> Hi no Tori - That game was awesome! I also completed that game many times. :D
> PD fighting - I remember that silly game from my childhood. I enjoyed that very much. :P
Thanks for that screenshot. I played many games and I don't remember many of them - you reminded me some good titles and they are "less known". ;)
But, sadly I've abandoned that project... At least for now, I'm planning to get back to it someday... As for now, I'm busy with another project (game).

Rikifive

Post » 15 Jul 2015, 18:01

Good news! (probably)
I decided to finish that project, but I have one question - Does that game (Mari0 1.6) supports looped music? (I tried with ogg, but it didn't work)
I'm wondering, if I should make that in Mari0 SE, but last time I tried, it was just horrible (It kept throwing errors at me and was bugged as balls). What is your opinion? Is it easy to convert work from 1.6 to SE and continue doing mappack?
Any help appreciated.

Superjustinbros

Post » 25 Jul 2015, 01:01

If you crap out the "starting" part of a music, you can make it do a proper loop.

Rikifive

Post » 25 Jul 2015, 10:10

Yeah, that's always a workaround, but the beginnings are also kinda important. I'll see what I can do later...

Qwerbey

Post » 26 Jul 2015, 10:19

If you use SE, you can make an animation that first plays the opening, then switches the music to the loop.

Rikifive

Post » 26 Jul 2015, 10:33

That's the point,is it easy to convert work into SE?
What version of SE is the best *not bugged*? Because I saw few versions of it... I tried using SE once, but it was bugged and kept throwing errors at me.

Any advice is appreciated.
Last edited by Rikifive on 18 Jan 2020, 01:39, edited 1 time in total.

Qwerbey

Post » 26 Jul 2015, 11:08

Beta 8, which can be found here; however, the mappack converter converts to Beta 9, which, after getting a few fixes, isn't too bad.

Rikifive

Post » 27 Jul 2015, 11:26

Do I need something else to run that?
SE doesn't have its own EXE file? < that's bad.

Technochips

Post » 27 Jul 2015, 12:12

you just need to install LOVE

Rikifive

Post » 27 Jul 2015, 14:38

OK I tried, and didn't like it. (same as before)

Is it just me or this game runs terribly? It says 100FPS but in real everything is laggy when scrolling map.
Also the game crashed when I entered "Options" . . . rip kek
The game not having its own exe file is an inconvenience, not everyone is willing to install 3rd party stuff just to run a game.

Thank you for suggestions and help, but I think I'll stick to the 1.6 version. As much as I would like to have vertical scrolling maps and fullscreen mode, I'll refuse on that one, because of these issues.
Last edited by Rikifive on 18 Jan 2020, 01:42, edited 1 time in total.

TurretBot

Post » 27 Jul 2015, 16:34

try using this
also, don't bother with your old data in SE (other than maps), I assume this screwed up your options

Rikifive

Post » 27 Jul 2015, 17:31

It's not crashing only upon entering options, but it also crashes in game. Try level 5-3 in original Mario mappack and it'll crash in the middle. (I crashed that game 5 times in the exact same place)
I can't even take a screenshot, because it takes 'blank' screenshots.
And still... the map scrolling is really choppy. :c

I'll go with the 1.6 version, unless some of the SE versions will run properly.
Last edited by Rikifive on 18 Jan 2020, 01:43, edited 1 time in total.

Superjustinbros

Post » 28 Jul 2015, 22:47

Do you have any "Beetle_Half" entities in the mappack? For some reason Maurice removed them in SE, thus crashing any mappack the instant one comes into view.

Rikifive

Post » 29 Jul 2015, 11:07

That happened in the original SMB mappack on level 5-3. I think that was caused by oscillating platform.
But still... Only the *scrolling smoothness* makes me don't want to use SE. It's really annoying. It has 100 FPS, but it's not smooth... Really weird thing...

Rikifive

Post » 05 Jun 2016, 01:50

I have bad news I guess.

This mappack is abandoned and most likely I'll be not working on it anymore.
Why? That's because I'm working on many other projects (games) and I don't have time for this one. Maybe one day...
Last edited by Rikifive on 18 Jan 2020, 01:44, edited 1 time in total.

imgudman4567

Post » 12 Jun 2016, 01:25

Rikifive wrote:I have good and bad news.

I'll start with the bad one:
This mappack is abandoned and most likely I'll be not working on it anymore.
Why? That's because I'm working on many other projects (games) and I don't have time for this one.
...So does that mean I can do this idea my self? If it does... LORD IT'LL BE MY NEXT PROJECT.

Rikifive

Post » 18 Jun 2016, 18:11

imgudman4567 wrote: ...So does that mean I can do this idea my self? If it does... LORD IT'LL BE MY NEXT PROJECT.
Well ~ Actually this idea will be continued in my own game.
But yes, you can make a mappack based on that idea.

Or if you want, we can talk about collaboration ~ where you'd receive a permission to continue this project.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also I've updated the download link with the very recent version of the game. It includes my very last seconds of development.

I'm pretty sure it would be against the rules, to post updates of the game not made in Mari0, but if that actually would be allowed, then I could post updates of the game, that I'm working on (the one, where that project ['NESari0'] went).

imgudman4567

Post » 19 Jun 2016, 04:05

Rikifive wrote:
imgudman4567 wrote: ...So does that mean I can do this idea my self? If it does... LORD IT'LL BE MY NEXT PROJECT.
Well ~ Actually this idea will be continued in my own game.
But yes, you can make a mappack based on that idea.

Or if you want, we can talk about collaboration ~ where you'd receive a permission to continue this project.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also I've updated the download link with the very recent version of the game. It includes my very last seconds of development.

I'm pretty sure it would be against the rules, to post updates of the game not made in Mari0, but if that actually would be allowed, then I could post updates of the game, that I'm working on (the one, where that project ['NESari0'] went).
Ok. I'll just make a mappack based on the idea of Mario going through games. o need for me to continue someone else's. works.

Rikifive

Post » 25 Jun 2016, 19:16

Mhm, okay ~ I'm curious how it will go. Good luck!

Rikifive

Post » 05 Jan 2022, 06:35

I've received an email, that someone tried to download the mappack, but couldn't, due to lack of permissions. Sorry about this, it's because of that Google's security update.

I've updated the OP with new download link, and also updated the pack itself, because my English was terrible back then. I've cleaned the contents a bit and rewrote the instructions. I hope these will be more understandable.

I also have renamed the version name from "Unfinished Build 1.2" to "v0.2". It's less confusing that way. Nothing has changed aside that.

Should anyone run into any troubles, please let me know.

---
Also... I noticed "Alesan99's Entities" and whoa, I only took a quick look at this and now I wish I had it back then... This would be perfect for my needs. Great stuff.

CatLuigiGamer

Post » 05 Jan 2022, 17:22

Rikifive wrote:
05 Jan 2022, 06:35
I've received an email, that someone tried to download the mappack, but couldn't, due to lack of permissions. Sorry about this, it's because of that Google's security update.

I've updated the OP with new download link, and also updated the pack itself, because my English was terrible back then. I've cleaned the contents a bit and rewrote the instructions. I hope these will be more understandable.

I also have renamed the version name from "Unfinished Build 1.2" to "v0.2". It's less confusing that way. Nothing has changed aside that.

Should anyone run into any troubles, please let me know.

---
Also... I noticed "Alesan99's Entities" and whoa, I only took a quick look at this and now I wish I had it back then... This would be perfect for my needs. Great stuff.
Alesan99's Entities is a good mod to make mappacks and easier to add mappacks as well. And Custom Characters, Power-ups, Custom Enemies. It's pretty cool tbh.

Rikifive

Post » 05 Jan 2022, 18:24

CatLuigiGamer wrote:
05 Jan 2022, 17:22
Alesan99's Entities is a good mod to make mappacks and easier to add mappacks as well. And Custom Characters, Power-ups, Custom Enemies. It's pretty cool tbh.
Yeah, I've been looking around in the editor for a moment and I'm impressed by all these wonderful options the original vanilla game lacked. On top of that, it also doesn't require installing any 3rd party things (namely LOVE) to be able to run the game unlike it was with SE, which makes things way more convenient.

It surely is an excellent mod. I'm not sure when exactly it was released, but I truly wish I could work in it all these years back. That would greatly improve the quality of my mappack.