Super mario compilation

Mapping related threads and questions go in here!
Revan XVII

Post » 30 Apr 2014, 06:58

Hey all, I'm new here, Just got SE the other day and holy shit is it godly, kinda miss minecraft mode, but SE well makes up for it, anyway I'm working on a compilation mappack of a few mario games, Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario World, Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga, Luigi's Mansion, and Super Mario Land 2 The 6 Golden Coins, the thing is I can't make a tileset bigger than 16x2000 pixels without the tiles not working properly in-game, so first question, is it possible to have more than 1 tileset active in one mappack on SE? My second question is, is there anyone willing to make some enemies for me? If so I will make a bonus level in Bowser's World 8 castle with the usernames of all who contributed. These are a few of the enemies I could use off the bat if anybody is interested:

- Birdo (spits eggs? or bullet bills if eggs won't work)

- Boo (functions like in super mario world and is invincible to everything except stars)

- Pokey (functions like in super mario 2, Doki(ey) Doki(ey) panic)

- Snifit (Functions like in super mario 2)

- Ninji (Functions like in super mario 2)

- Bob-omb (with explosion if possible, if not just make it like a goomba plz)

Alright there's the list for the enemies for Wordl 1-1 through 1-4, if you're interested send me a pm or post a link to the enemy design you have on this thread, hopefully this will get done before summers end.

Qwerbey

Post » 30 Apr 2014, 08:58

You can replace the default SMB and Portal tilesets by adding tilesets named "smbtiles.png" and "portaltiles.png" respectively in the "graphics" folder of your mappack. Doing this may create a myriad of problems; however, so be careful.

renhoek

Post » 30 Apr 2014, 09:52

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4032&p=91868#p91868
I haven't gotten the bosses done though and I haven't updated in a long time.

Revan XVII

Post » 30 Apr 2014, 16:37

renhoek wrote:viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4032&p=91868#p91868
I haven't gotten the bosses done though and I haven't updated in a long time.

Dude thanks soo much, seriously this just boosted the progress of my game by like 3 days!

Revan XVII

Post » 30 Apr 2014, 16:47

QwertymanO07 wrote:You can replace the default SMB and Portal tilesets by adding tilesets named "smbtiles.png" and "portaltiles.png" respectively in the "graphics" folder of your mappack. Doing this may create a myriad of problems; however, so be careful.
Okay, but as a precaution I feel the need to ask, can I put 2 different tilesets in a folder and have both of them work without replacing an older tileset?

Revan XVII

Post » 30 Apr 2014, 20:57

Okay so I need like a super in depth tutorial for custom backgrounds, the tutorial here didn't help me at all, it's too vague.

Automatik

Post » 30 Apr 2014, 21:31

How to use custom background:
The screen of Mari0 is 400x224 pixels.
The portal background is the standard custom background, you can overwrite it by doing the following:

Place “background1.png” inside your mappack folder.
You can keep adding consecutive numbers to add more than 1 background (background2.png, background3.png, etc) for parallax scrolling. Adjust the scroll factor slider (main tab) to control the speed of parallax scrolling.

This standard background can be overwritten by each map individually by putting “1-1background1.png” (for world 1-1) inside the folder. Also supports multiple backgrounds.
For sublevels, use “1-1_1background1.png”.

Then check the “Custom Background” box in the main tab of the editor.
Okay, but as a precaution I feel the need to ask, can I put 2 different tilesets in a folder and have both of them work without replacing an older tileset?
Nope, you can only have one custom tileset. Merge your 2 tilesets into one.

Revan XVII

Post » 30 Apr 2014, 21:39

THANK YOU! I can't believe I never thought of that, thank you so much!

edit: I did what you said to replace the portal background but what folder inside the mappack folder do I put it in since this method doesn't seem to be working for me?

Revan XVII

Post » 01 May 2014, 03:51

If anybody wants to see a full playthrough of world 1-1 here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoLRgjgu5lw

leave a comment with your thoughts on the video.

Mari0Maker

Post » 01 May 2014, 04:02

Revan XVII wrote:If anybody wants to see a full playthrough of world 1-1 here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoLRgjgu5lw

It's okay. The level design was not too great, really. It lacks a few things here and there.For example, you could make the water animate if you wanted it to with animated tiles.
Other than that, it's decent, but it still needs some work done to it. :)

Also, you should probably get a different program to record your videos, like this one: https://obsproject.com/

Revan XVII

Post » 01 May 2014, 04:09

Mari0Maker wrote:
Revan XVII wrote:If anybody wants to see a full playthrough of world 1-1 here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoLRgjgu5lw

It's okay. The level design was not too great, really. It lacks a few things here and there.For example, you could make the water animate if you wanted it to with animated tiles.
Other than that, it's decent, but it still needs some work done to it. :)

Also, you should probably get a different program to record your videos, like this one: https://obsproject.com/
Thanks for the feedback, I know it's outdated but I enjoy using hypercam, and at first I wanted to animate the water but I've had a rough few days with this game so I didn't feel like risking f**king up the whole thing again, so I played it safe, besides it's the minecraft water texture, the entirety of the textures put into one, I didn't really have the energy to do animations.

Revan XVII

Post » 02 May 2014, 00:16

Good news, I've just finished work on world 1-3, I know it's not much but the first world will be pretty easy once the second world starts it will progressively get harder and harder. The castle will take a little while because I've exhausted my good ideas for the day but I'll try to finish up the first world tonight!

Revan XVII

Post » 02 May 2014, 05:42

World 1 is now complete! here's a video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKp_ls5 ... e=youtu.be leave a comment with your thoughts if you'd like.

Qwerbey

Post » 02 May 2014, 07:15

My chronological criticisms:

1-1:
1-1_1:
- Pipes with no indication... [flies into an unstoppable rage] I see you at least placed plants, though.
1-1_2:
- Still using a button for music changes...? Triggers are much better suited for that task.

1-2:
- Place a solid but transparent block at the end of the cave entrance then put a side-pipe on that. That way you automatically walk in.
1-2_1:
- Just so you know, you can crouch jump to get into one-block gaps as big Mario.
1-2_2:
- There's a place you can get trapped in if you don't have the portal gun (also, how did you lose it by going through a door?).

1-3:
- Same as the first thing I said only worse, because it's necessary.
1-3_2:
- Enemy spam, enemy spam.

1-4:
- You should place emancipation grills under the pansers things so the fireballs don't drift down.
- You really appreciate stars too little.
- More player-training for the question-mark box-checkpoint system is needed (assuming they end up working, that is).
- Nobody in the right mind will jump into lava.
- (Minor) The boss should have it's own sub-level and music.

Revan XVII

Post » 02 May 2014, 16:31

QwertymanO07 wrote:My chronological criticisms:

1-1:
1-1_1:
- Pipes with no indication... [flies into an unstoppable rage] I see you at least placed plants, though.
1-1_2:
- Still using a button for music changes...? Triggers are much better suited for that task.

1-2:
- Place a solid but transparent block at the end of the cave entrance then put a side-pipe on that. That way you automatically walk in.
1-2_1:
- Just so you know, you can crouch jump to get into one-block gaps as big Mario.
1-2_2:
- There's a place you can get trapped in if you don't have the portal gun (also, how did you lose it by going through a door?).

1-3:
- Same as the first thing I said only worse, because it's necessary.
1-3_2:
- Enemy spam, enemy spam.

1-4:
- You should place emancipation grills under the pansers things so the fireballs don't drift down.
- You really appreciate stars too little.
- More player-training for the question-mark box-checkpoint system is needed (assuming they end up working, that is).
- Nobody in the right mind will jump into lava.
- (Minor) The boss should have it's own sub-level and music.
I get what you mean about the invisible pipes but since we can't pick up, use potions, or have doors, I had to use the only alternative I had, and as to the portal gun disappearing I disabled it on all maps except for the areas where you can find one. Also the 1-2_2, has a portal gun every time, I don't see where you can get stuck. Also I don't like spamming stars because it makes the game too easy, I prefer a challenge, which is why, albeit sounds contradictory, I left fireflowers in every major area per level. As for the 1st castle boss, I didn't wanna change the track because I love the song that plays, although I don't seem to know what you mean by "nobody in their right mind would jump into lava", if you're referring to the hidden portal gun down there, I put it there intentionally, since it's not crucial to the entire level, the start and middle, I didn't want to put it out in the open. In world 2 there will be little to no invisible pipes, I'm trying to make each world like the game it mimics, world 1 is smb2, world 2 will be super mario world, world 3 will be super mario land 2, world 4 will be superstar saga, world 5 will be luigi's mansion, world 6 will be paper mario, worlds 7 and 8 will have features from all previous worlds.

Revan XVII

Post » 02 May 2014, 19:47

There may be a slight delay with world 2, I'm not feeling too good so I'm gonna take it easy for a bit I'll do a little work on world 2 here and there but it may be a while before I finish it.

B-Man99

Post » 02 May 2014, 20:48

Please use the edit button instead of double posting
Thanks in advance and don't worry about it since you're new it's okay I'm just surprised no one has said this yet since it's something the community follows by

Revan XVII

Post » 02 May 2014, 21:04

B-Man99 wrote:Please use the edit button instead of double posting
Thanks in advance and don't worry about it since you're new it's okay I'm just surprised no one has said this yet since it's something the community follows by

Sorry, although there is a 3 hour time difference between posts, didn't think I'd need to use the edit button. Sorry again.

BTW I'm looking for a super mario world enemy pack, do you know of any?

Qwerbey

Post » 02 May 2014, 23:08

Let me elaborate.
Revan XVII wrote: I get what you mean about the invisible pipes but since we can't pick up, use potions, or have doors, I had to use the only alternative I had, You could use plants to show pipes as long as they're not used for anything else and you train the player a lot. and as to the portal gun disappearing I disabled it on all maps except for the areas where you can find one. Also the 1-2_2, has a portal gun every time, I don't see where you can get stuck. Where you got stuck in the video. It's impossible to get out without a portal gun. Also I don't like spamming stars because it makes the game too easy, I prefer a challenge, which is why, albeit sounds contradictory, I left fireflowers in every major area per level. If there's a star around, no one will use a flower. As for the 1st castle boss, I didn't wanna change the track because I love the song that plays, Hence the "(Minor)." I just don't think it fits for a boss. although I don't seem to know what you mean by "nobody in their right mind would jump into lava", if you're referring to the hidden portal gun down there Yes., I put it there intentionally, since it's not crucial to the entire level, the start and middle, The jump next to the gun does not look possible without touching lava or using portals, so I don't see how it isn't crucial. I didn't want to put it out in the open[.]

Revan XVII

Post » 03 May 2014, 00:06

QwertymanO07 wrote:Let me elaborate.
Revan XVII wrote: I get what you mean about the invisible pipes but since we can't pick up, use potions, or have doors, I had to use the only alternative I had, You could use plants to show pipes as long as they're not used for anything else and you train the player a lot. and as to the portal gun disappearing I disabled it on all maps except for the areas where you can find one. Also the 1-2_2, has a portal gun every time, I don't see where you can get stuck. Where you got stuck in the video. It's impossible to get out without a portal gun. Also I don't like spamming stars because it makes the game too easy, I prefer a challenge, which is why, albeit sounds contradictory, I left fireflowers in every major area per level. If there's a star around, no one will use a flower. As for the 1st castle boss, I didn't wanna change the track because I love the song that plays, Hence the "(Minor)." I just don't think it fits for a boss. although I don't seem to know what you mean by "nobody in their right mind would jump into lava", if you're referring to the hidden portal gun down there Yes., I put it there intentionally, since it's not crucial to the entire level, the start and middle, The jump next to the gun does not look possible without touching lava or using portals, so I don't see how it isn't crucial. I didn't want to put it out in the open[.]

Can you give me the exact time where I got stuck in the video, so I might be able to fix it? As for the hidden portal gun, I like to make elaborate platforms,puzzles,mazes, in builder games, it's what my friends know me best for, my over-complicated structures, and it is possible to get to the portal gun, just very slowly walk off and then turn left quickly, incase you're on of those player who gets jumpy around stuff like that, I am, but in the SMB2 area(s) plants will indicate hidden warps in almost every map if there's a 1 or 2 space gap, there's a hidden warp. Also, last bit, the portal gun is essential for 2 things in the level, 1) finishing the level and getting to the boss, 2) finding the hidden warp zone.