the strange place[SE]

Mapping related threads and questions go in here!
0>0

Post » 18 Feb 2014, 18:09

hello everyone
i have made a new mappack and its so different from THE BEST MAPPACK
or THE BEST MAPPACK2
if you dont believe me
here is some screenshots
and here is the download link
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ns423 ... _place.rar
EDIT:
there is a bug on level 2 in world 5
just put a warp pipe in the pipe in this level in the level editor
Last edited by 0>0 on 18 Feb 2014, 21:05, edited 1 time in total.

B-Man99

Post » 18 Feb 2014, 20:10

This is an incredible improvement! Here's some notes, although overall I'd say this was a blast to play having in mind that I wasn't expecting much given your last mappacks

1-1: Nice intro :)

1-2: GREAT MUSIC CHOICE! It's a personal favorite, it sounds great, and it suits the mood.
The level design feels miinimalistic, but I actually say that as a good thing. Decent platforming. It could use a checkpoint or two though. I'd recommend updating with something like that

1-3: Still platforming, but I got over the repetitiveness because it wasn't that hard and I got through fairly quickly. The faith plates are a nice touch.

1-4: A bit too easy. Could use something else during the bowser fight. The light bridge is a nice touch though. Still digging the music, as many of the people here know, I really love Bowser's Inside Story (especially the music, I should upload some piano arrangements sometime. I never really thought too.... argh I'm going off topic)
Again, the minimalistic design is actually a nice choice because of the mood. I'm totally enjoying this. Definitely make the boss battle longer somehow.
Last edited by B-Man99 on 18 Feb 2014, 20:20, edited 2 times in total.

0>0

Post » 18 Feb 2014, 20:19

thanks
i cant wait for your new comments

B-Man99

Post » 18 Feb 2014, 20:21

I originally edited my post but I'll just put this here:

2-1, 2-2, and 2-3: Another music track feels a bit unnecessary. I had fun, but there wasn't anything too different from world 1, which is a bit problematic. A few of the cube jumps were just painstakingly hard, so I'd recommend finding some new element and using that in these levels. On a side note, when does Mario find his portal gun?

Also, a few of the times where you have to jump on the faith plate are really hard to get right, I kept falling off and such.

2-4: I was expecting this to be an uninteresting as the past few levels, but I was glad to see something refreshing and not repetitive. I really enjoyed this level. Thanks for proving me wrong. I don't think you should have to though. Try to give the platforming earlier on in world 2 some more thought. I'm honestly just glad I continued going because I kind of didn't want to

I'll have more after World 3.

0>0

Post » 18 Feb 2014, 20:27

umm sorry but in this mappack mario dont have the portal gun from the start to the end

B-Man99

Post » 18 Feb 2014, 20:39

Oh that's fine no problem. I was just curious.

3-1: Underwater. Great idea! Something I haven't seen yet in this mappack, should be fun. The spike texture doesn't look right though. You should make a custom tile that's exactly the same as the spikes, except with a blue background instead of transparent, so that it looks normal instead of randomly having the water stop. Since this level doesn't have too much difficulty with where the spikes are place, I'd suggest... I don't know having more fish or something? I mean don't go overboard but it did feel easy.

3-2: For some reason that first water section reminded me of Floppy Flippy Happy Flappy Birds. I wanted to scream at the top of my lungs. This mappack should be on infinite lives because of the difficulty in some spots. it isn't exactly a consistent difficulty but I'm having a blast. Again, the spikes need to look normal, and this level desperately needs a checkpoint right after that water section.

As for the latter half of 3-2, the platform-moving-things are a really tough, nice touch, but I feel like this belonged in world 2, since that didn't exactly have a theme, while world 3 already does. maybe you should move the bridges, and just leave world 3 with the underwater theme?

3-3: Unnecessary platforming after the underwater thing again, so I suggest taking some of that and somehow putting it into world 2. The underwater section was great, again, and it's still incredibly challenging, so you should really make it infinite lives. I had to use the infinite lives cheat in order to get past world 3, I'm not going to lie xD

3-4: Fun! Nothing underwater, but the boss battle was a nice mix between world 1's and world 2's. Needs a break in between the platforms and the Bowser battle though. I can't count the number of times I died just trying to get onto that last one, without even getting to Bowser.

All in all, world 3 was a lot less repetitive than world 2, so I had more fun, but it really REALLY needs checkpoints, so I'd say it's somewhere in between world 1's amazing-ness and world 2's lack of motivation.

0>0

Post » 18 Feb 2014, 20:49

do you know how it hard to make the water sections its so hard to me
in this time i wasnt know how to make custom tiles for spikes or anything but i now know how

0>0

Post » 19 Feb 2014, 12:09

why no one comment anymore?

B-Man99

Post » 19 Feb 2014, 12:30

I'm guessing a lot of people are turned off because of your previous mappacks
Or the huge screenshots. I probably should have mentioned that. You should probably scale down those. I'm waiting to see what you can do with what I gave you. I didn't really have the time or energy to try world 5 (I had notes for world 4 but they were basically the same thing as what I already said)
If you worked on it a little more and improved sections of it then this would definitely be a more favored mappack (so more people would play it...?) than it is now. Maybe people just don't have much to say besides what I said, because I think I broke it down a lot. More likely though is just simply that not a lot of people want to try your mappack. I liked a lot of it, if that helps. Seriously. A good OP is probably the difference between someone trying your map, and someone deciding not to.

0>0

Post » 19 Feb 2014, 13:20

you say i must improve this mappack to be a favored mappack
but how i can improve it? with making more levels or what?

renhoek

Post » 19 Feb 2014, 13:28

0>0 wrote:you say i must improve this mappack to be a favored mappack
but how i can improve it? with making more levels or what?
read his points and make changes according to his complaints.
You don't unclog a toilet by adding shit to it.

idiot9.0

Post » 19 Feb 2014, 16:15

renhoek wrote: You don't unclog a toilet by adding shit to it.
This is now one of my favorite analogies, even if it is a blatant poop joke.

0>0

Post » 19 Feb 2014, 17:06

i think about it and i dont want to improve it more

B-Man99

Post » 19 Feb 2014, 17:21

Gee thanks for wasting my 3+ hours of time that I spent critiquing and trying to help on all three of your mappacks
Including the first two which were total crap and seeing how I'm one of the only ones that actually kept playing you can forget about people wanting to play one of your maps again
I honestly don't even know what to say.
I love how on all three of these threads you never even thanked me.
Great effort 0>0. I'm totally going to keep helping you.

At least something good came out of this. I'm now more than fueled to make something good, and we will forever have renhoek's amazing analogy to use, all because of this experience.
Still, screw this experience.

0>0

Post » 19 Feb 2014, 17:38

thank you very much B-Man99

Firaga

Post » 19 Feb 2014, 18:35

Usually when you shit out mappacks at a rate faster than that of a speeding bullet, they usually turn out poorly.
Imo, they should be cared for like a newborn baby, making the level pretty, making the level layout great.
What I would do is give people a demo of the level before releasing the entire thing all at once. It gives people hype when they like the demo you gave them, and it would also give you criticism on what you should do in later levels, or what to fix in the current levels.

LittleLopez2002
PERMABANNED

Post » 20 Feb 2014, 19:13

Wow ,, Just wow.

I have sifted through a lot of poo on this site expecting to find a diamond. I made an account just to post this,, THIS MAP ROCKS ! !!

the map pack blends flowless platforming with an engaging experience and there is nothing on this site like it

you sir are a gentlemen

HansAgain

Post » 20 Feb 2014, 19:22

LittleLopez2002 wrote:Wow ,, Just wow.

I have sifted through a lot of poo on this site expecting to find a diamond. I made an account just to post this,, THIS MAP ROCKS ! !!

the map pack blends flowless platforming with an engaging experience and there is nothing on this site like it

you sir are a gentlemen
Of course you just registered to say this map rocks, because there are no mappack better than this, mappacks like Acid Trip, 0'Bros, Mad Science are shit compared with this.
(Of course i'm being sarcastic, and i think this dude is 0>0 trying to proove that his mappack is good, but that's not true, his map is still bad, Random crap is better than this)
In case you are "real", i suggest you to read this before saying things like this are good.

LittleLopez2002
PERMABANNED

Post » 20 Feb 2014, 19:31

Hans1998 wrote:
LittleLopez2002 wrote:Wow ,, Just wow.

you sir are a gentlemen
Of course you just registered to say this map rocks, because there are no mappack better than this, mappacks like Acid Trip, 0'Bros, Mad Science are shit compared with this.
(Of course i'm being sarcastic, and i think this dude is 0>0 trying to proove that his mappack is good, but that's not true, his map is still bad, Random crap is better than this)
In case you are "real", i suggest you to read this before saying things like this are good.
the strange place is a mari0 map.

dishwasher_fluid9999
PERMABANNED

Post » 20 Feb 2014, 19:33

AhahhAHHHHHAHHHHHAHHHAhAhHAh
this is So fun !

Firaga

Post » 20 Feb 2014, 19:35

The map is sub-par at best.
Also, there have been a recent influx of people signing up just to reply to this thread, in the past few minutes at least.
Seems a bit fishy.

HansAgain

Post » 20 Feb 2014, 19:36

Do i have to say that you will be permabanned for doing multiple accounts?

Automatik

Post » 20 Feb 2014, 19:42

LittleLopez2002 wrote:the strange place is a mari0 map.
What. Of course it's a mari0 map. It's a bad mari0 map, and you (As in, 0<0) are trying to give it good review, under another account. It's obvious.
Giving false good reviews is useless, Btw. There is no rating system here. Nothing to win.
And thanks you for calling every other mappack on this forum "poo". Thank you.

LittleLopez2002
PERMABANNED

Post » 20 Feb 2014, 19:44

Automatik wrote:
What. Of course it's a mari0 map. It's a bad mari0 map, and you (As in, 0<0) are trying to give it good review, under another account. It's obvious.
Giving false good reviews is useless, Btw. There is no rating system here. Nothing to win.
can i request a moderator to defend me here ?

i am not the perfect and beautiful maker of this map and i can probably prove it ? ?

Automatik

Post » 20 Feb 2014, 19:46

LittleLopez2002 wrote:i am not the perfect and beautiful maker of this map
There. You have proven that you're the author of the mappack.

Firaga

Post » 20 Feb 2014, 19:51

LittleLopez2002 wrote:
Automatik wrote:
can i request a moderator to defend me here ?

i am not the perfect and beautiful maker of this map and i can probably prove it ? ?
As far as I'm aware, he didn't attack you directly, so I don't know why you would ask for a mederator to back you up.
Also, it is very fishy in a twenty minute time frame, two accounts made to post in the same single thread and to praise it, and another Guest that I have seen on the WhoIs list trying to register (not there now, but it's good to note that whoiever it was was trying to make another account possibly maybe). You're either 0>0 or one of his friends, as the writing grammar/punctuation differs between accounts.
LittleLopez2002 wrote:i am not the perfect and beautiful maker of this map and i can probably prove it ? ?
First off, if you actually tried the map, and other maps on here, you could easily see there is work that far succeeds this map, like A0zora, Abstracta, etc..

Second, even if you show a different IP, all that matters is if the IP you're currently using is on the list of IP's that have been used to attack websites in the recent years (if anyone's curious, I use this http://www.stopforumspam.com/), you would be banned on sight, added with the fact that someone joined to praise the map as well not 5 minutes later adds to the suspicion. It's not that damn hard to set up a proxy hurr durr i'm someone else

0>0

Post » 20 Feb 2014, 20:00

HEY littlelopez2002 IS NOT ME!

LittleLopez2002
PERMABANNED

Post » 20 Feb 2014, 20:01

i am not the perfect and beautiful maker of this map and i can probably prove it ? ?[/quote]
As far as I'm aware, he didn't attack you directly, so I don't know why you would ask for a mederator to back you up.
Also, it is very fishy in a twenty minute time frame, two accounts made to post in the same single thread and to praise it, and another Guest that I have seen on the WhoIs list trying to register (not there now, but it's good to note that whoiever it was was trying to make another account possibly maybe). You're either 0>0 or one of his friends, as the writing grammar/punctuation differs between accounts.
LittleLopez2002 wrote:i am not the perfect and beautiful maker of this map and i can probably prove it ? ?
First off, if you actually tried the map, and other maps on here, you could easily see there is work that far succeeds this map, like A0zora, Abstracta, etc..

Second, even if you show a different IP, all that matters is if the IP you're currently using is on the list of IP's that have been used to attack websites in the recent years (if anyone's curious, I use this http://www.stopforumspam.com/), you would be banned on sight, added with the fact that someone joined to praise the map as well not 5 minutes later adds to the suspicion. It's not that damn hard to set up a proxy hurr durr i'm someone else[/quote]

how do i know you are not the op on a different account ?

Automatik

Post » 20 Feb 2014, 20:11

*facepalm*
Why would the OP criticize himself? Firaga has been around since 02 Jul 2012, making an alt account before the OP's, waiting for 1.5 years, and then finally posting his shit mappack and giving it a false good review AFTER the bad reviews were posted? It make no sense.
Why would the OP respond in 9 minutes? And just 1 minute before the "other" guy?

LittleLopez2002
PERMABANNED

Post » 20 Feb 2014, 20:14

was getting caught part of your plan ?

Automatik

Post » 20 Feb 2014, 20:16

I also joined in Jul 2012, sorry, this make no sense.

idiot9.0

Post » 20 Feb 2014, 22:00

And welcome back to Idiot's Review Corner, where I take the good and maybe not-so-good maps of Mari0 and decide if it's worth your time.
Today on the corner, "The Strange Place".
Keep in mind that my reviews are not for the feint of heart and many F-bombs may be thrown.
Without further ado, the review is in the spoiler below.
The Strange Place Review:

Before playing: the title screen shows nothing but ground. Lack of any detail tells me this is going downhill.

1-1/ Bland. Could it kill to add some detail.
1-2/ "What a Strange Place"... Yeah, I consider a boring level with no detail and laser death traps "strange"... no wait I'd call it boring.
1-3/ Time to add spikes and enemies in non-dangerous parts and still keep it boring
1-4/ "Ready to die mario gwahahaha" = Boring boss fight on laser bridge.
2-1/ More laser death and a spot for 1-up grinding that doesn't work. Still bland.
2-2/ If you're just going to hand out 1-ups like this, just put infinite lives on. This is pointless. Also hey time to add gravity puzzles with purple gel how fun.
2-3/ I don't remember ordering any enemy spam but here it is and it tastes terrible.
Also that portal placement is cheap. Zoom right into the spikes without warning.
2-4/ Another pointless battle with bowser. Press 2 buttons and done.
3-1/ "Water Perfect". SERIOUSLY USE GRAMMAR. Commas and apostrophe's exist for a reason. Punctuation. USE IT. Also custom tiles exist. Make the spikes look like they're underwater. The cutoff burns.
3-2/ When does the part where I have fun begin?
3-3/ Oh look more underwater and spikes. And oh look it's still not fun.
3-4/ Oh my god this dialogue is terrible. I don't remember when Mario or Bowser ever said they'll "kill" each other.
4-1/ Still just bland. But hey more gels are being added. Finally variety
4-2/ And variety gone. Back to lasers and underwater spikes. But wait, a cube button puzzle! Finally variety!
4-3/ And variety gone again. Back to enemy spam and boring lasers
4-4/ And another boring Bowser.
5-1/ You're slowly making me hate Purple gel. Also one of your checkpoints glitched out and constantly killed me. The one that's at the start of the Purple gel area in fact. It spawns you in a wall and if your mouse is to the left of your character you clip through into the pit.
5-2/ Oh look more underwater spikes. How refreshing.
Oh, and as a note, if you know it's bugged FUCKING FIX IT BEFORE RELEASE YOU TWIT.
5-3/ You don't deserve to use this music. This music is too good for how shit this end boss is. "I'm going to kill you forever and go home." Yeah, Mario would totally say that. And the boss is just 1-4 copy-pasted. Shit shit shit.
5-4/ "I'm free I'm free Yahoooooooo" End.
Final Verdict: A terrible Spam Sandwich/10

Seriously this is just so boring. The levels lack any form of detail and it's all just on a black background. Not to mention the actual design is just so bland. The danger is just tons of spikes, lasers, and enemy spam. There's no challenge at all, most of the jumps are easy, and new gimmicks are gone the moment they show up. Orange and blue gels show up once each, the rest is the purple gel for stupid gravity puzzles. Any form of dialogue that's in it is completely terrible and doesn't even make a bit of sense. "Mario finds a strange hole and Bowser wants to Kill Mario." Ooh so original.

Should you play this: No unless you like punishment. It's not worth it. Don't let any alts or "friends" fool you, it's not worth touching unless the author gives it a MAJOR rehaul.

Sašo
Stabyourself.net

Post » 20 Feb 2014, 22:02

this thread is a disaster