Vertical Test [SE Map]

Mapping related threads and questions go in here!
Smear-Gel

Post » 29 Jan 2014, 19:38

I did a little 1 level thing in SE, utilizing a couple of the new features, but the star of the level is the Excursion Funnel

I'd love feedback and I'm curious as to if you think I should continue this.

Screenshots:

Download:

Link

Smear-Gel

Post » 03 Feb 2014, 22:36

Can anyone who downloaded this...tell me what they think? I really would like to know where I went wrong or right. The feedback will actually affect the later levels I make.

HansAgain

Post » 03 Feb 2014, 22:55

I enjoyed playing this mappack. I would like to see other leves. I think you shouldn't make us use one element along the entire level, because if you erase the portals between the test, you have to go back to the start.

Sky

Post » 03 Feb 2014, 22:56

Hans1998 wrote:I enjoyed playing this mappack. I would like to see other leves. I think you shouldn't make us use one element along the entire level, because if you erase the portals between the test, you have to go back to the start.
This could easily be controlled by having just one portal to work with.

Smear-Gel

Post » 03 Feb 2014, 23:21

Hans1998 wrote:I enjoyed playing this mappack. I would like to see other leves. I think you shouldn't make us use one element along the entire level, because if you erase the portals between the test, you have to go back to the start.

That was the point. The whole level was designed around using the Excursion Funnel for the entire time. The last section was the hardest to make since the buttons just straight up stopped working for some reason and at that point the funnel was stuck going in the opposite direction.

In my playthroughs to test it out I just worked with one portal for as long as I could, like WiiWare said, so you dont have to backtrack TOO much, I think. I only erased the portals around twice.

I probably wont go so overboard next level though. A bit.

Sky

Post » 03 Feb 2014, 23:47

What I meant by that was that you could set it so that the player uses only one portal (blue), and place the other portal (orange) in front of the excursion funnel using those portal entities. When you reload with the blue portal gun, you can't reload the orange one.

Smear-Gel

Post » 04 Feb 2014, 00:11

WillWare wrote:What I meant by that was that you could set it so that the player uses only one portal (blue), and place the other portal (orange) in front of the excursion funnel using those portal entities. When you reload with the blue portal gun, you can't reload the orange one.
I figured, but I already used the pre placed portal entities twice in the level and didnt want to do anything more that might make things get too confusing.

Superjustinbros

Post » 04 Feb 2014, 01:49

The only point where I had to deactivate my current Portals was to get to the switch enclosed inside the cage before the first locked door.
Also while I was playing the map, I accidentally deleted my Portals when I reached the third puzzle (the one with the spike pit) and had no choice but to suicide and restart the map.
Still an interesting map and a good demo of this new feature.

Smear-Gel

Post » 04 Feb 2014, 15:57

Superjustinbros wrote:The only point where I had to deactivate my current Portals was to get to the switch enclosed inside the cage before the first locked door.

Exactly, That's the only time I had too as well.

Superjustinbros wrote:Also while I was playing the map, I accidentally deleted my Portals when I reached the third puzzle (the one with the spike pit) and had no choice but to suicide and restart the map.
Still an interesting map and a good demo of this new feature.
Huh, I'm going to have to fix that.

Either way, the levels are all about using the same feature from beginning to end, but I will attempt to make the later levels a bit less tedious, but not at the expense of the difficulty since being prudent with your portals is the whole point.

EDIT:

Forgot to thank you guys for the feedback, it's HUGELY appreciated.

copy

Post » 04 Feb 2014, 22:05

This was a very fun map with some unique puzzles. There was quite a bit of backtracking involved (Just because I rebound the portal removal key to something stupid), but I'd like to see another test like this in the future.