Gravitas (v2.1) [AE, 1.6, SE]

Mapping related threads and questions go in here!
Sky

Post » 21 Dec 2013, 07:20

Gravitas

Story/Gameplay
Media
General Advice
Technical Stuff
Credits/Changelog
Download

Story/Gameplay

This year the Super Smash Brothers Tournament is in Hyrule. Mario has once again been invited, so he travels there with his newfound portal gun, hoping to mix up the competition. As he nears Hyrule, he discovers an ancient temple. Intrigued, Mario steps inside; but as he wonders whether anyone has found this place, the door seals shut behind him, locking him in.

Worse yet, Mario feels incredibly sluggish. He tries to jump... but he can't.

Yeah, you read that right - in this mappack, Mario can't jump. Instead, he must use his mind and his portal gun to search for the exit. Timing, thinking, and a good understanding of Mari0 physics are required to get through each of the temple's seven corridors. If you don't have any of that, don't fret - the puzzles are ordered in a way that helps you learn as you go along. But even if you have what it takes, you'll still end up relearning everything you know about Mari0.

There are strangely-colored stones scattered about that serve a dual purpose. Blocks made of this stone will absorb portal shots and generally make life harder, so you'll need to plan around those. But standing in front of statues made of the same material puts a spring back in Mario's step, allowing him to jump in front of the statues. Of course, these will be used to the fullest for puzzle design, so expect some head-scratchers.

Media

You can watch a playthrough of v0.5 here (the first four levels), courtesy of Mari0Maker:

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

General Advice
  • You'll need to run a lot to cross gaps. Remember to get some momentum first.
  • Your momentum will not carry you if you come out of a portal facing up. You'll stop just as suddenly as if you tried to jump. However, you'll still come flying out of sideways portals.
  • You can jump just enough to get up from a light bridge, or to reach a portal over your head.
  • In a pinch, a perfectly-timed jump will stomp an enemy coming at you. Don't rely on it too much, though - it's hard to do consistently.
  • Always keep an eye out for ledges or walls you can portal to; your reticle might reach places you didn't expect.
  • Remember to reload your portals; it's a useful tool for clearing space when there's not a lot of room. With two floor portals and a quick reload, you can accurately land on small ledges without flying off the sides.
  • Think from the top down. The key is to go as high up as you can using portals, and then come back down the manual way.

Technical Stuff

So how does all this work, anyway?
To keep Mario from jumping, I used a special tile in place of the airspace. Combining the collision and invisible block properties creates a block that acts like an invisible block (Mario can walk through it, but stops when he hits it), but doesn't reveal a coinblock. It also has the advantage of hiding whatever the tile actually looks like, so I can see when and where I've added the tiles. I like to call them stoppers.

However, the block presents several complications, since it also acts as a solid tile in a sense. With the blocks in place, Mario can't run across gaps, since the game thinks he's running into a wall. Also, light bridges and lasers stop immediately when hitting the blocks. (Curiously, emancipation grills are unaffected.) So, to remedy those situations, I remove the stoppers where necessary. Most of the time these are along the ground and serve no purpose anyway, and other times the level is constructed so that the player can't jump into them.

With that in mind, here's a screenshot of a level in the editor:
Notice how some blocks are pure red. These are nonsolid, act like air, and help me see where there shouldn't be stoppers. Since I used the Better Level Editor to add/remove the stoppers almost every time I test, these kept the affected areas from being replaced as well. They're not present in the release - they were just for visualization purposes.

Credits/Changelog

All tiles and backgrounds come from Zelda II, and were copy-pasted out of maps maps from http://www.nesmaps.com/. Ironically, that was one of the few games in which Link could jump.

Additionally, the music in the 2.0 version comes from The 8-Bit Adventure Album by Michael Staple, available on Bandcamp! It's a great album, be sure to give the whole thing a listen. Specific tracks used:
  • Odd-numbered temples: 25. Grouda's Castle (Stage 1)
  • Even-numbered temples: 9. Creepy Groove (Deadman Valley)
  • Final temple: 29. Grouda's Castle (Stage 5)
Changelog:

Code: Select all

2.1 (Alesan's Entities only)
-Added helpful tips on the level screens
-Forced character choice to Mario
-Re-arranged some objects to make it easier to back-port Gravitas updates to Mari0 1.6 in the future
-Added a missing checkpoint in 3-1
-Made the second Tetris-platform puzzle in 4-1 easier
-Fixed the faithplate surfing section in 6-1 to make it more obvious that you need momentum
-Fixed cheesing the last puzzle in 6-1
-Probably other fixes that I can't think of right now

2.0 (Alesan's Entities only)
-Added music from The 8-Bit Adventure Album by Michael Staple: https://michaelstaple.bandcamp.com/album/the-8-bit-adventure-album
-Minor updates to puzzles across all levels to fix glitches, utilize and/or gates, and make alternate solutions more viable
-Shuffled platforms in 3-1's spiny/box puzzle to make it easier to get around
-Updated the first puzzle in 5-1 to make it actually a puzzle
-Updated the second puzzle in 5-1 to make it less frustrating to get around
-Updated the bullet bill puzzle in 5-1 to make it less reliant on reflexes
-Replaced the final puzzle in 6-1 with a completely new puzzle based on the old layout
-Replaced the bridge puzzle in 7-1 with a similar but better balanced one
-Replaced the multi-room puzzle in 7-1 with something more unique
-Added a hint about the "DLC" level once the main levels are completed
-Added a missing sublevel to the DLC level so that taking a certain pipe doesn't softlock the map
-Fixed several visual oddities across all levels
-Removed the warp zone property (finally!)

SE porting v1.0
-Changed faithplate-surfing areas; there was lag, but I fixed it
-Added gates to make things look smoother

v1.0
-Finished all seven levels
-Fixed more bugs (mostly related to emancipation grills)
-Added DLC level (press down when starting the first level)

v0.5
-Added two more levels (total of four)
-Fixed bugs in 1-1
-Added warp zone property to each level (so that the pipe to world 4 doesn't bring you to -1)

v0.2
-Released to the public
-Added first two levels

Download

In sum:
  • You can't jump except in front of statues
  • There's seven levels
  • Refer to General Advice if you get stuck
  • Think with portals
Good luck!

DOWNLOAD (Mari0: Alesan's Entities)
Older versions (v1.0): Mari0 1.6 || Mari0 SE/CE
Last edited by Sky on 13 Sep 2020, 05:53, edited 21 times in total.

Superjustinbros

Post » 21 Dec 2013, 07:43

So I decided to give this a whirl (seeing as you don't need a mod to run this) and I enjoyed it quite much. Nothing really I could find that was broken or untested, all around a great mappack.

Sky

Post » 21 Dec 2013, 07:45

Superjustinbros wrote:So I decided to give this a whirl (seeing as you don't need a mod to run this) and I enjoyed it quite much. Nothing really I could find that was broken or untested, all around a great mappack.
Thanks, I was kind of afraid I missed something. There's a lot of technical stuff that I had to get right.

idiot9.0

Post » 21 Dec 2013, 08:43

This was one of the better "Gimmick" mappacks I have played so far, if not the best. The puzzles were real good, nothing felt unfair, and the areas that you were able to jump were clear and not confusing. I'm waiting on that full version now.
(also the simple fact that this doesn't require a mod adds to it, since you not only were able to manipulate vanilla Mari0 but also so I can custom character it up.)

I've noticed something. Most of my favorite mappacks come from you WillWare. A+ to you.

Sky

Post » 21 Dec 2013, 08:50

idiot9.0 wrote:This was one of the better "Gimmick" mappacks I have played so far, if not the best. The puzzles were real good, nothing felt unfair, and the areas that you were able to jump were clear and not confusing. I'm waiting on that full version now.
Thank you! I don't think the full version will come for some time, however - the second level took way longer to make than the first one, and that was AFTER I figured out what I was doing. Constantly topping each successive puzzle is going to take a while.
idiot9.0 wrote:I've noticed something. Most of my favorite mappacks come from you WillWare. A+ to you.
I... wow. Thank you for enjoying my attempts at throwing things together.

Mari0Maker

Post » 21 Dec 2013, 19:05

This was one fantastic mappack WillWare. I really enjoyed it.
The tile choice was also excellent. :)

Superjustinbros

Post » 21 Dec 2013, 19:05

WillWare wrote:
idiot9.0 wrote:I've noticed something. Most of my favorite mappacks come from you WillWare. A+ to you.
I... wow. Thank you for enjoying my attempts at throwing things together.
I find you're also one of my top developers, since you're able to do some pretty good stuff with my Colors tileset.

HansAgain

Post » 21 Dec 2013, 19:15

Pretty good. It's challenging and has an awesome tileset.
I want to see this complete.

OrbitalBlueprint

Post » 21 Dec 2013, 19:29

I like the concept of the map. Quite original if I may say so.

TurretBot

Post » 21 Dec 2013, 21:56

Really great mappack! But I couldn't get the last puzzle done, my brain needs a break...
Love the Zelda 2 tiles. Apparently there's no music, you should get some.

Level by level review:
1-1:
First puzzle - Good, kind of confusing at first because I suck at momentum puzzles.
Second puzzle - I dropped into the pit immediately. I love how the goomba suddenly became an actual threat.
Third puzzle - At first, I thought I wouldn't be able to go through the portal, but you can jump just high enough to get in.
Fourth puzzle - Simple "haha you can't jump sucks to be you" inbetween puzzles puzzle.
Fifth puzzle - I portaled onto the second koopa and it's shell killed me. Second try I did it fine.
Sixth puzzle - I hate koopas I hate koopas I hate koopas I hate koopas I hate koopas but only in this puzzle.
Seventh puzzle - Short, did it by jumping, not sure if I was supposed to.
Eight puzzle - I did it by jumping into the portal one block above me, and then setting a new portal from the top of the platform to the button.
2-1:
Ninth puzzle - Uh, why is it red?
Tenth puzzle - Easy.
Eleventh puzzle - Died here, but then I got it.
Twelfth (I had to look this word up on wikipedia.) puzzle - "Good, kind of confusing at first because I suck at momentum puzzles." -Me
Thirteenth puzzle - Having to go back to the previous puzzle is original.
Fourteenth puzzle - Mind boggling! Seriously it took me so long to figure this one out.
Fifteenth puzzle - SHELL PUZZLE NO YOU SUCK
Sixteenth puzzle - Easy.
Seventeenth puzzle - Argh, why isn't there a checkpoint here?

Superjustinbros

Post » 21 Dec 2013, 22:18

Turret Opera wrote:Apparently there's no music, you should get some.
Here's the song I use: http://www.mediafire.com/listen/s346tb6 ... smusic.ogg

TurretBot

Post » 21 Dec 2013, 22:41

Superjustinbros wrote:
Turret Opera wrote:Apparently there's no music, you should get some.
Here's the song I use: http://www.mediafire.com/listen/s346tb6 ... smusic.ogg
Trippy, which kind of fits the gimmick, but not the theme.

Sky

Post » 21 Dec 2013, 23:42

Turret Opera wrote:Level by level review: Yay, I love these!
1-1:
First puzzle - Good, kind of confusing at first because I suck at momentum puzzles. ...what? Momentum? No.
Second puzzle - I dropped into the pit immediately. I love how the goomba suddenly became an actual threat. That's what I was going for!
Seventh puzzle - Short, did it by jumping, not sure if I was supposed to. Yep, you did it right.
Eight puzzle - I did it by jumping into the portal one block above me, and then setting a new portal from the top of the platform to the button. This doesn't sound right, but I don't know what you're talking about. You'll have to show me.
2-1:
Ninth puzzle - Uh, why is it red? Each level has a different color scheme. Better question: Why aren't YOU red?
Thirteenth puzzle - Having to go back to the previous puzzle is original. I smell sarcasm
Fourteenth puzzle - Mind boggling! Seriously it took me so long to figure this one out. YES! I was hoping for that!
Fifteenth puzzle - SHELL PUZZLE NO YOU SUCK Well what else am I gonna do with these destructible tiles? Hide coins?
Seventeenth puzzle - Argh, why isn't there a checkpoint here? The enemies won't load right if I put a checkpoint here. I'll try to find a workaround.
As for the music I really have no idea what I'm doing with that. Nothing I've tried has really seemed to fit. I'm open to more suggestions, though. If I don't find anything I'll leave it open so that other people can put their own music in.

TurretBot

Post » 22 Dec 2013, 00:49

WillWare wrote:
Turret Opera wrote:Eight puzzle - I did it by jumping into the portal one block above me, and then setting a new portal from the top of the platform to the button. This doesn't sound right, but I don't know what you're talking about. You'll have to show me. On the right is how I did it, and the left one is how I think you're supposed to do it.
2-1:
Ninth puzzle - Uh, why is it red? Each level has a different color scheme. Better question: Why aren't YOU red? Year of luigi motherducker
Thirteenth puzzle - Having to go back to the previous puzzle is original. I smell sarcasm Not sarcasm...
Fifteenth puzzle - SHELL PUZZLE NO YOU SUCK Well what else am I gonna do with these destructible tiles? Hide coins? No, hide powerups.
Seventeenth puzzle - Argh, why isn't there a checkpoint here? The enemies won't load right if I put a checkpoint here. Hmmm? How so? I'll try to find a workaround.
As for the music I really have no idea what I'm doing with that. Nothing I've tried has really seemed to fit. I'm open to more suggestions, though. If I don't find anything I'll leave it open so that other people can put their own music in.
I think SJB's song will work until you can find something that fits.

BobTheLawyer

Post » 22 Dec 2013, 01:01

Yeah, you're able to jump up like that, because WillWare can't put those fancy blocks of his above you because there is a solid block there.
He should make it one up, or nonportable if he wants to stop that.

Sky

Post » 22 Dec 2013, 01:05

BobTheLawyer wrote:Yeah, you're able to jump up like that, because WillWare can't put those fancy blocks of his above you because there is a solid block there.
Actually I was planning on making that a feature for a later puzzle.

TurretBot

Post » 22 Dec 2013, 01:26

BobTheLawyer wrote:Yeah, you're able to jump up like that, because WillWare can't put those fancy blocks of his above you because there is a solid block there.
Wait that's not what I was saying I did wrong or are both of them wrong?

Sky

Post » 22 Dec 2013, 01:36

Planned solution:
Place portals here. Fall on small ledge on the right.
Solved.

TheSeek

Post » 22 Dec 2013, 01:48

Awesome mappack and gimmick, very, very good job.
WillWare wrote:Planned solution:
Solved.
Honestly, i simply...
stayed on the edge on the left of the switch and pressed it:
I can see it wasn't the intended solution, as if it was all the other stuff would be useless, but it's what i did instinctively.

Sky

Post » 22 Dec 2013, 02:08

TheSeek wrote:Awesome mappack and gimmick, very, very good job.
Solved.
Honestly, i simply...
I can see it wasn't the intended solution, as if it was all the other stuff would be useless, but it's what i did instinctively.
Thanks for pointing that out, it's been fixed for the next release.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 22 Dec 2013, 02:40

WillWare wrote:
TheSeek wrote:Awesome mappack and gimmick, very, very good job.
Solved.
Honestly, i simply...
Thanks for pointing that out, it's been fixed for the next release.
I made that too, but then I tried solving it correctly.

Haven't said yet, but your mappack is truly amazing! Some puzzles... they were just amazing! How did you came up with something as cool as this? I truly wanna see it finished!

Sky

Post » 22 Dec 2013, 05:43

I was originally going to wait until I was done to post a new update, but since you guys are awesome, I'll update to v0.5 when I finish the fourth level.
(Seriously! More than half the people who downloaded have commented already. And I thought mapping was at a low point! You guys rock!)

Image Image

I've done the third one already (see above), and I hope to get the next one done before Christmas. Possibly tomorrow. EDIT: I'll be very surprised if I don't get it done today.

Also, I've decided to make myself a deadline for finishing this, because otherwise it'll grow stagnant without updates for forever, like the rest of my mappacks have. Therefore, I'll try my hardest to get all seven levels done before 2014 hits. I can't say for sure if I will, but that's what I'm working toward.

Did I mention you guys rock? Really, thank you.
Last edited by Sky on 22 Dec 2013, 19:19, edited 2 times in total.

TurretBot

Post » 22 Dec 2013, 05:47

WillWare wrote:(Seriously! More than half the people who downloaded have commented already. And I thought mapping was at a low point! You guys rock!)
Nah, it's kind of like being famous
You gotta hit the gold for people to like it
One block placed differently could've cost you so much man
I would know too

renhoek

Post » 22 Dec 2013, 06:20

WillWare wrote:Seriously! More than half the people who downloaded have commented already. And I thought mapping was at a low point! You guys rock!
It's not dead it's just most of the maps submitted are normally made for the wrong reasons and get in the way of the design of the map itself. It could be because of a tile set or just to get praised normally.

This looks really cool though so I'll give it a try later and see if I can point out any flaws to help out.

OrbitalBlueprint

Post » 22 Dec 2013, 13:33

I've just tried the demo, and I've gotta say that those are some original puzzles you've created! I like it how you can only jump when being around those weird statue/stone things :D

Sky

Post » 22 Dec 2013, 20:47

Image Image
Gravitas has jumped up to v0.5!

New features:
  • Two new levels!
  • Minor updates to previous levels!
  • Two puzzles that look the same, but aren't!
  • High-speed shenanigans!
  • A puzzle that I had to resolve because the intended solution didn't work right!
  • Tetris pieces!
All this and more in the new update! Grab it in the first post!

HansAgain

Post » 22 Dec 2013, 21:52

Yep. It's still AWESOME!

Sky

Post » 22 Dec 2013, 22:07

Hans1998 wrote:Yep. It's still AWESOME!
That's good, thanks. Nothing's broken?

HansAgain

Post » 22 Dec 2013, 22:16

I haven't seen anything.
I think you should remove the warpzone (i mean, uncheck "Has warpzone").

Sky

Post » 22 Dec 2013, 22:22

Hans1998 wrote:I think you should remove the warpzone (i mean, uncheck "Has warpzone").
It's so that the pipe to World 4 doesn't go to World -1. I can think of twenty different ways around it, but none of them are really optimal unless having it is that distracting.

TrustyGun

Post » 23 Dec 2013, 03:19

I found a small bug in world 3- There is no way out of this hole, because you can't place portals on 1 block surfaces.

Sky

Post » 23 Dec 2013, 03:22

TrustyGun wrote:I found a small bug in world 3- There is no way out of this hole, because you can't place portals on 1 block surfaces.
Oh, good catch. I'll fix it for later, not sure whether I should update it now or not.

Sky

Post » 23 Dec 2013, 06:26

Mari0Maker made a video of the first couple of levels (with awesome music to boot). Thank you very much!

Now I can fix a few glitches.

TurretBot

Post » 23 Dec 2013, 07:00

WillWare wrote:
Hans1998 wrote:I think you should remove the warpzone (i mean, uncheck "Has warpzone").
It's so that the pipe to World 4 doesn't go to World -1.
I had to do that, too. Maurice won't fix it, because his way is "more faithful than SMB."

Superjustinbros

Post » 23 Dec 2013, 09:30

TurretBot wrote:
WillWare wrote:
It's so that the pipe to World 4 doesn't go to World -1.
I had to do that, too. Maurice won't fix it, because his way is "more faithful than SMB."
You can always just make -1 a short level that leads to an actual warpzone (complete with the text) that goes to World 4. Or if you really feel like experimenting, you can make -1 an optional co-operative level that also leads to the World 4 Warp.

TurretBot

Post » 23 Dec 2013, 09:39

Superjustinbros wrote:
TurretBot wrote:
WillWare wrote: It's so that the pipe to World 4 doesn't go to World -1.
You can always just make -1 a short level that leads to an actual warpzone (complete with the text) that goes to World 4.
You could use a white bg to cover the text.

Sky

Post » 23 Dec 2013, 10:27

I know how to fix it. But is it that bothersome? That's what I need to know.

TurretBot

Post » 23 Dec 2013, 12:33

Honestly, I don't care... But you never know.

Sky

Post » 04 Jan 2014, 07:04

I have officially finished Gravitas, and updated it to v1.0! Took longer than expected, but life got in the way... So I included a DLC level! Press down when starting the first level to access it. Of course, to download the mappack itself, go to the first post!

This will probably not be the last version - I make more mistakes and oversights the more complex I make the puzzles, so I probably will have to fix some bugs in the future. Who knows, I might even add another level... Keep your eyes peeled!

B-Man99

Post » 04 Jan 2014, 07:28

Wow! Somehow I missed this gem when it was first released, but so far in the first two levels at least I have to to say this is a really good map pack! Fine all around, especially fantastic in the art and puzzles, but the fact that you made this concept in vanilla mari0 is incredible! This required a lot of thinking on your part as well as the player's. You should be very proud of yourself. I do really like the theme and artwork, the feel matches the elements of gameplay well. I wish I had time to finish it at the moment, but I'd already consider this a job well done
Say, where'd you get the name? I'm a bit curious. :)

Sky

Post » 04 Jan 2014, 07:30

B-Man99 wrote:Say, where'd you get the name? I'm a bit curious. :)
No jumping -> heavy -> gravity -> Gravitas.
Also, thank you for the compliment!

B-Man99

Post » 04 Jan 2014, 07:41

Gah! When I saw the name I thought of gravity but I assumed that the ending "as" meant it had something to do with another language or something, and I thought of the no jumping thing a bit differently, so I never put two and two together
Fun fact though (from my small knowledge of Latin roots as well as double checking with google)
Gravitas is actually a word. It means seriousness or dignity. Completely unrelated, but still interesting :)

Wikipedia says it's a part of roman philosophy though. Might have to do with the meaning behind the temple? :O

Mari0Maker

Post » 04 Jan 2014, 20:34

Yay, I can't wait to play the finished product!

Sky

Post » 04 Jan 2014, 22:48

Mari0Maker wrote:Yay, I can't wait to play the finished product!
This, um, IS the finished product... unless there's bugs.

Automatik

Post » 04 Jan 2014, 23:49

WillWare wrote:This, um, IS the finished product... unless there's bugs.
I think he meant something like "I can't wait to finish downloading that mappack."

Sky

Post » 17 Apr 2014, 04:06

Good news - I managed to port Gravitas to SE! Grab it in the first post!

I have to point out a complication, however - it involves the faithplate surfing segments:
They don't look like this anymore. In SE, the player teleports to the center of faithplates, so if I hadn't changed this, the player would be stuck landing on the first one. The best workaround I could find was to make a custom enemy that transforms into itself when stomped, and replace the floor with it. In other words, I made a bouncy floor. It doesn't work as well as I wanted it too, but it works... although I should warn you that level 6 lags horribly. Play at your own risk.

EDIT: Wow, go figure that right after I release it, I find a way to reduce the lag. I've updated it in the first post. I am terribly sorry, I should have thought of it sooner...

TurretBot

Post » 17 Apr 2014, 17:52

A really Image enemy?

Sunset_Moth

Post » 19 Apr 2014, 17:30

*upvotes post with imaginary upvote system because there isn't one to my knowlege*

gemwrecker

Post » 22 Apr 2014, 20:12

Well, gonna do a playthrough of this. Here's the first part:

Sky

Post » 23 Apr 2014, 21:39

Thanks for the video, Gemwrecker! Can't wait to see the rest of the series! Let me explain the jumping again - you can jump in front of the statues and curtains only. The black parts have nothing to do with where you can jump - it's the objects that are differently colored from the rest of the temple that count. And if you think it's hard now, it's only going to get worse... :)

I fixed the music at your request; I don't play with the volume up very often, so that's how it slipped my attention. Redownload it for the fix. Also, I'll add your video (and the future ones) to the first post, unless you have any objections.

Fun fact: after I finished making this mappack, I actually forgot I could jump for several days.

EDIT: Quick update that fixes spinies - apparently they can't be killed by boxes anymore, and I designed some puzzles around that, so I fixed them. Redownload (again) for the fix.

EDIT2: Turns out Bullet Bills didn't work the same either... fixed again...

EDIT3: Fixed one final issue with the last temple, making the SE version 100% completable. Phew. There's too many changes in SE...