Requesting Map-Making Assistance

Mapping related threads and questions go in here!
fatboysraidmcdonalds

Post » 10 Dec 2013, 03:28

I'm currently working on a difficult puzzle-themed Mari0 mappack that uses no mods. I'm up to World 5, Level 2. However, I need the community's help with two things:

1) Minor: Beta-Testing. Although I always test my levels to make sure they're possible and bug-free, I cannot catch every bug because I know exactly how to solve the puzzles and therefore miss the bugs reached by doing the wrong things.
2) Major: Ideas. As I previously stated, I'm up to World 5, Level 2. Unfortunately, I ran out of ideas for puzzles. So I would like to request suggestions for more levels, if you do not mind. I WILL give you credit for that level! So please, do not be shy or reluctant to assist a fellow Mari0 player.

What I am looking for:
If you are beta testing, then I would like for you to try to break the game. I want you to try any way possible to glitch the game or solve it in an unexpected way. Basically, I request that you try to find any faults in the game.

If you are helping me with ideas, please express what you want me to add as new levels. (Or change in older levels.) You can express this in words, pictures, videos, or even level codes or downloads. I will NOT mod the game or add any mods! I want this mappack to be accessible for anyone as long as they have internet access and Mari0.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Note: Here is proof of the existence of this mappack.
Here is the download link to the mappack. (Updated to version 3.)
My Little Pwny Version 3
Last edited by fatboysraidmcdonalds on 15 Dec 2013, 04:28, edited 4 times in total.

Superjustinbros

Post » 10 Dec 2013, 05:22

First off, I welcome you greatly to the forums, and hope you enjoy your stay. So a group Portal-themed mappack playable with Vanilla Mari0? Seems interesting.

Just from popping this in, here's what I got:

*Music has a delay before starting up and is also a bit too loud compared to vanilla Mari0's songs. Also, while optional, OGG files take up less room than .mp3 files.
*If we're using Portal tiles, we could create some additional Portal-themed tiles so the style of the SMB tiles don't clash with the Portal tiles and vice versa, like pipes, brick blocks, water tiles, etc. At the moment I see you're using 0'Brothers' tileset.
*Try to avoid excessive use of entities, such as in 3-1 and 4-2. A little bit like 2-2 won't hurt the mappack, but you can also substitute spikes with upwards-facing lasers with invisible blocks right above them.
*Another thing to consider not doing are rooms that force you to be Small Mario. And if a room has both a damageable hazard and brick blocks, a reset pipe (with the entrance/exit to the same room you're in) can do wonders, so suicide won't be required.
*I have really nothing to say in regards to the background, except that the ends of the background don't loop correctly (as where it does loop, the neon blue lines are darker). I could also recommend using a different color of neon for each world to give it some variety.

With that said, this is looking quite promising. Just remember to have the puzzles be made so they increase in difficulty.

Pixelworker

Post » 10 Dec 2013, 10:44

I must say, you have an unique level design. Your mappack doesn't feel like a typical portal-themed testchamber, since you used more platforming elements than usual, but it's definetely an amazing puzzle mappack. I'm pretty sure that you played 0'Brothers, due to the puzzles with invisible blocks and the up-moving platforms. Just like Justin said, you would like to add reset pipes so the player can't lock themselves like in 2-1, because that would force them to exit the game and start it again, which can be frustrating at some times.
If you are running out of ideas, play other users' mappacks to get some new, I often did this by myself while working on Bowser Science. You might already know it, but there's a huge thread over here where the mappacks the SYS community created are listed and sorted by genre.

fatboysraidmcdonalds

Post » 11 Dec 2013, 01:44

Superjustinbros wrote:First off, I welcome you greatly to the forums, and hope you enjoy your stay. So a group Portal-themed mappack playable with Vanilla Mari0? Seems interesting.

Just from popping this in, here's what I got:

*Music has a delay before starting up and is also a bit too loud compared to vanilla Mari0's songs. Also, while optional, OGG files take up less room than .mp3 files. --I don't know how to edit music files to make them lower. Neither do I know how to fix the delay. Sorry.
*If we're using Portal tiles, we could create some additional Portal-themed tiles so the style of the SMB tiles don't clash with the Portal tiles and vice versa, like pipes, brick blocks, water tiles, etc. At the moment I see you're using 0'Brothers' tileset. --Where can I find portal-themed pipes and bricks?
*Try to avoid excessive use of entities, such as in 3-1 and 4-2. A little bit like 2-2 won't hurt the mappack, but you can also substitute spikes with upwards-facing lasers with invisible blocks right above them. --I put those spikes there in 2-2 so you could kick the turtle and get a few extra lives. Also, I completely redesigned 3-1, and I reduced the number of enities in 4-2.
*Another thing to consider not doing are rooms that force you to be Small Mario. And if a room has both a damageable hazard and brick blocks, a reset pipe (with the entrance/exit to the same room you're in) can do wonders, so suicide won't be required. --What's wrong with rooms requiring you to be small? I also put reset pipes in any room that you could get stuck in or has both a damageable hazard and brick blocks.
*I have really nothing to say in regards to the background, except that the ends of the background don't loop correctly (as where it does loop, the neon blue lines are darker). I could also recommend using a different color of neon for each world to give it some variety. --I fixed the looping of the background. I'll do the latter suggestion, but let me finish the levels first.

With that said, this is looking quite promising. Just remember to have the puzzles be made so they increase in difficulty.
When I complete World 6, I'll post the latest update link.
Last edited by fatboysraidmcdonalds on 11 Dec 2013, 01:48, edited 1 time in total.

fatboysraidmcdonalds

Post » 11 Dec 2013, 01:47

Pixelworker wrote:I must say, you have an unique level design. Your mappack doesn't feel like a typical portal-themed testchamber, since you used more platforming elements than usual, but it's definetely an amazing puzzle mappack. I'm pretty sure that you played 0'Brothers, due to the puzzles with invisible blocks and the up-moving platforms. Just like Justin said, you would like to add reset pipes so the player can't lock themselves like in 2-1, because that would force them to exit the game and start it again, which can be frustrating at some times.
If you are running out of ideas, play other users' mappacks to get some new, I often did this by myself while working on Bowser Science. You might already know it, but there's a huge thread over here where the mappacks the SYS community created are listed and sorted by genre.
I did play 0'Brothers, but I only got up to World 3 Level 1. I thought I could get inspiration from this level but it seemed those puzzles didn't fit the theme of my mappack, so I only used the mappack for the tiles. As I previously posted, I put reset pipes anywhere where you could get stuck.

ucenna

Post » 11 Dec 2013, 01:48

Shameless topic plug: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3033

If you run out of ideas you can certainly use some of them

Superjustinbros

Post » 11 Dec 2013, 03:41

--I don't know how to edit music files to make them lower. Neither do I know how to fix the delay. Sorry.
Try Audacity. It works on just about any OS you can think of.
--Where can I find portal-themed pipes and bricks?
Check the Tileset Respositorium thread, occasionally you may find something Portal-related.
--I put those spikes there in 2-2 so you could kick the turtle and get a few extra lives. Also, I completely redesigned 3-1, and I reduced the number of enities in 4-2.
IMO I'm usually against very easy opportunities for 1UPs since all the Mario games post-SMB2 practically give you an overabundance of them. The main thing I have with 4-2 is having to stomp the sliding Koopa Troopa shell right before it hits the button after it kills the second row of enemies on one of the ledges. It's just awkward from my perspective.
I also haven't figured out the very first room where you have to dump Spinies, since A, the Spinies cannot overlap one another (and if they do, it's unintended programing) and B, anywhere I'd want to place a portal would be blocked off by the wall next too the Light Bridge unless you're playing with a second player (one player portals around the light bridge, the other dumps the Spinies into the room blocked off by the light bridge).
--What's wrong with rooms requiring you to be small? I also put reset pipes in any room that you could get stuck in or has both a damageable hazard and brick blocks.
Mostly since if you try to incorporate areas like these, the player could be big and glitch themselves around the level's structure via mass-phasing through the walls.

fatboysraidmcdonalds

Post » 11 Dec 2013, 04:04

Superjustinbros wrote:
--I don't know how to edit music files to make them lower. Neither do I know how to fix the delay. Sorry.
Try Audacity. It works on just about any OS you can think of.
--Where can I find portal-themed pipes and bricks?
Check the Tileset Respositorium thread, occasionally you may find something Portal-related.
--I put those spikes there in 2-2 so you could kick the turtle and get a few extra lives. Also, I completely redesigned 3-1, and I reduced the number of enities in 4-2.
IMO I'm usually against very easy opportunities for 1UPs since all the Mario games post-SMB2 practically give you an overabundance of them. The main thing I have with 4-2 is having to stomp the sliding Koopa Troopa shell right before it hits the button after it kills the second row of enemies on one of the ledges. It's just awkward from my perspective.
I also haven't figured out the very first room where you have to dump Spinies, since A, the Spinies cannot overlap one another (and if they do, it's unintended programing) and B, anywhere I'd want to place a portal would be blocked off by the wall next too the Light Bridge unless you're playing with a second player (one player portals around the light bridge, the other dumps the Spinies into the room blocked off by the light bridge).
--What's wrong with rooms requiring you to be small? I also put reset pipes in any room that you could get stuck in or has both a damageable hazard and brick blocks.
Mostly since if you try to incorporate areas like these, the player could be big and glitch themselves around the level's structure via mass-phasing through the walls.
1) I'll try Audacity. --Edit: I used it and it worked. It loops perfectly now.
2) I'll look for portal pipes in that thread. --Edit: I found a tileset with fitting pipes and used it.
3) I'll replace the entities with a red laser
4) There is another way to kill the enemies other than the strategy you're using.
5) You have to put a portal on the ceiling at the same time that you go through the portal to pass the light bridge.
6) For all the rooms that require the player to be small, I put one of two things:
A) A small sub-level that forces you to remove your power-up.
B) Lasers in an area only accessible by glitching maliciously.

For 4 and/or 5, I could make a video/gif on how to do them, if you'd like.

fatboysraidmcdonalds

Post » 13 Dec 2013, 02:56

Update:

I said I would upload the latest version when I reached World 6. However, I cannot come up with ideas for any more levels and so decided to upload the latest version anyway.

My Little Pwny 2

Superjustinbros

Post » 13 Dec 2013, 21:33

Here's my edit:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/wea4s ... 0Build.zip

*Removed horse
*Toned down the difficulty of the very first room
*Massively overhauled 4-2
*Portal-style tileset

fatboysraidmcdonalds

Post » 15 Dec 2013, 01:27

Superjustinbros wrote:Here's my edit:

*Removed horse --Horse? What horse?
*Toned down the difficulty of the very first room --This was a nice edit to my version.
*Massively overhauled 4-2 --I changed the way the button works, so that the door stays closed once you hit the button the first time, and I removed the door and laser before the button, but other than that, this was also a nice edit.
*Portal-style tileset --Eh, I prefer my old tileset. I kept my old tileset.
I also changed the music to a different theme that loops much better, is less overpowering than the other song, and is more catchy. *cough*stolefrombowserscience*cough*

I still haven't added any new levels, though. I cannot come up with anything.

fatboysraidmcdonalds

Post » 15 Dec 2013, 04:24

New Update:

See above post for details.

I also added World 5 Level 2!

My Little Pwny Version 3

Pixelworker

Post » 15 Dec 2013, 15:09

fatboysraidmcdonalds wrote:*cough*stolefrombowserscience*cough*
I don't know if I should proud of that... anyway, it's not really 'mine', it's from the Portal 2 OST, I only edited a bit so it loops nicer. I do not recommend using it in every single level though, since the same piece of music can become annoying if played again and again.

I'm glad you now use custom tiles, it makes your mappack even more unique, but if you're using tiles from other members, you should credit them (for example the Repeat-Pipe from 0'Brothers.

Superjustinbros

Post » 15 Dec 2013, 17:10

fatboysraidmcdonalds wrote:

*Toned down the difficulty of the very first room --This was a nice edit to my version.
*Massively overhauled 4-2 --I changed the way the button works, so that the door stays closed once you hit the button the first time, and I removed the door and laser before the button, but other than that, this was also a nice edit.
*The Rainbow Dash dressed up as Mario icon.
*Your old tileset isn't even 16-Bit like the Portal tileset. Plus, with the 44-tile with like I said it'll prove to be difficult for others to find the tiles they need. Quality, not Quantity.

fatboysraidmcdonalds

Post » 17 Dec 2013, 00:04

Pixelworker wrote:
fatboysraidmcdonalds wrote:*cough*stolefrombowserscience*cough*
I don't know if I should proud of that... anyway, it's not really 'mine', it's from the Portal 2 OST, I only edited a bit so it loops nicer. I do not recommend using it in every single level though, since the same piece of music can become annoying if played again and again.

I'm glad you now use custom tiles, it makes your mappack even more unique, but if you're using tiles from other members, you should credit them (for example the Repeat-Pipe from 0'Brothers.

Don't worry, I'll give credit to everyone who I used materials from.

Credits:

--Edit: Changes in red
--Edit 2: Further changes in blue

Stabyourself.net - Obvious reasons
Baf - Tileset with Reset Pipe
SupaMit - Tileset with Portal-Themed Pipes --No longer using
Pixelworker - Ideas + Music --No longer using Pixelworker's music.
Superjustinbros - Ideas + Difficulty Balancing -- + Tileset with Portal-Themed Pipes + Bricks
BobTheLawyer - Bob's Better Editor Mod, which helped me make this mappack easier and quicker.
OrbitalBlueprint - Tileset with text
Last edited by fatboysraidmcdonalds on 30 Dec 2013, 21:54, edited 4 times in total.

fatboysraidmcdonalds

Post » 17 Dec 2013, 00:08

Superjustinbros wrote:
fatboysraidmcdonalds wrote:

*The Rainbow Dash dressed up as Mario icon. --I'll get a better icon when I come up with a better name.
*Your old tileset isn't even 16-Bit like the Portal tileset. Plus, with the 44-tile with like I said it'll prove to be difficult for others to find the tiles they need. Quality, not Quantity. --What's wrong with non-16-Bit? Also, I don't find it difficult to find the tiles they need in the tileset. If you drag the scroll bar instead of using the mousewheel, it's easy to find what you're looking for. Plus, they could always use Bob's Better Editor

ucenna

Post » 17 Dec 2013, 01:26

I still think you should check "tips, tricks, and secrets" if your running out of level ideas. There's plenty in there.

Superjustinbros

Post » 17 Dec 2013, 02:11

--What's wrong with non-16-Bit? Also, I don't find it difficult to find the tiles they need in the tileset. If you drag the scroll bar instead of using the mousewheel, it's easy to find what you're looking for. Plus, they could always use Bob's Better Editor
The styles of the tile sets clash with one another. 0'Bros never used any 16-bit styled tiles, and the more professional Portal map packs won't go anywhere below 16-bit. And notice how the tile sets for those map packs I just mentioned aren't monstrous. You don't need to have a mammoth-sized tileset to make a good mappack.

The tiles I provided are small enough and provide every important tile to making a Portal mappack one would need. I didn't add in a million other tiles that wouldn't get used since I was looking for only one tile.

Second, the reason why it's normally recommended by everyone here to have exactly 22 tiles per row is so the way the tileset is mapped, that's how it appears in the editor's tile palette. The Better Editor and Bob's edit of it do not alter how tiles are arranged in the palette. And yes, people will say it's easier to click the scrollbar and drag it, with something like my colors tileset that's true, but even then it's still 22 tiles across, not 44, so there aren't as many blank spaces.

fatboysraidmcdonalds

Post » 17 Dec 2013, 02:29

Superjustinbros wrote:
--What's wrong with non-16-Bit? Also, I don't find it difficult to find the tiles they need in the tileset. If you drag the scroll bar instead of using the mousewheel, it's easy to find what you're looking for. Plus, they could always use Bob's Better Editor
The styles of the tile sets clash with one another. 0'Bros never used any 16-bit styled tiles, and the more professional Portal map packs won't go anywhere below 16-bit. And notice how the tile sets for those map packs I just mentioned aren't monstrous. You don't need to have a mammoth-sized tileset to make a good mappack.

The tiles I provided are small enough and provide every important tile to making a Portal mappack one would need. I didn't add in a million other tiles that wouldn't get used since I was looking for only one tile.

Second, the reason why it's normally recommended by everyone here to have exactly 22 tiles per row is so the way the tileset is mapped, that's how it appears in the editor's tile palette. The Better Editor and Bob's edit of it do not alter how tiles are arranged in the palette. And yes, people will say it's easier to click the scrollbar and drag it, with something like my colors tileset that's true, but even then it's still 22 tiles across, not 44, so there aren't as many blank spaces.
The only problem with this is that if I change the 44-tile-per-row to 22-tile-per-row, the id's would change. Even if I did replace the current with yours, it would still change the ids. Is there a workaround for this?

Edit:
It actually doesn't change the ids. So first, I manually moved the tiles to it would be 22-tile-per-row. Then, I copy and pasted each part of the portal-themed pipe to replace the 16-bit pipes in my old tileset. Finally, I noticed your bricks and repeated the previous step, except with the bricks.

fatboysraidmcdonalds

Post » 23 Dec 2013, 19:06

I'm sorry for the bump, but I have a quick question.

Which song should I use for this mappack?

or