Engine Limitations?

Mapping related threads and questions go in here!
Mr_Spork

Post » 09 Dec 2013, 08:47

Forgive me if this has been answered, I have searched but I have not found anything that really answers the following question:

Is there a definitive guide to game engine limitations for Mari0?

The kinds of things I'm talking about would include

-Horizontal pipes cannot be right-facing (the pipe entry entity only allows player to approach from above or the left, whether you have created a mirrored tile of the left-facing pipe or not)

-You cannot place Mario start to the right of the flag pole - the flag pole represents the rightmost edge of the playable field, whether you land your player to the right of it via pipe or not.

-You cannot place tiles completely out of view above the play screen, but [insert way here] is a good way to prevent the player from jumping over a vertical barrier that you present.

Etc.

A list, and again, I apologize if it exists, my search-fu has failed me in this regard, that lists some of the commonly discovered issues by mappers and the ways that these issues can be worked around, if any, would be really cool.

Mr_Spork

Post » 09 Dec 2013, 08:53

Another thing:

-Setting up a left-scrolling area presents problems such as X and Y but they can be worked around by Z.

For X and Y I have things like "player is too close to left edge of viewport to see far enough ahead (but this can be a feature to enhance difficulty of certain areas)" and "some enemies disappear and will not re-appear if approached from the right.

HugoBDesigner

Post » 09 Dec 2013, 10:46

Well, Spork, first of all welcome to the Stabyourself Forums! We hope you stay and like it.

For the things you've asked, they're not "engine limitations". The engine it runs in is called LÖVE 2D.
Maurice (the creator of Mari0) added to the game just what he needed to make the Super Mario Bros. mappack and the Portal mappack.
The next update for Mari0, known as Mari0 Special Edition (or simply Mari0 SE) will have a lot of features for mappack makers, such as new entities, enemy customizer, new tiles properties, etc. But this update is currently on hiatus, unfortunately. If you want some new SMB features (like pipes in all directions), new enemies or map-making improvements, I'd suggest you to try out Alesan's entities mod. But, if you want to customize the game's entities/enemies textures, add new visual entities or have new Portal-related addons (like new tile properties and gels), then I'd suggest you to try Mari0 +Portal.
I hope I helped :)

Mr_Spork

Post » 14 Dec 2013, 09:07

Thanks for the tip HugoB - I will check out your recommendations. I've actually looked at your Mari0 + Portal, just short of installing it. It is very impressive work.

Sunset_Moth

Post » 24 Dec 2013, 03:04

Welcome to the forums!
Last edited by Sunset_Moth on 24 Dec 2013, 04:01, edited 1 time in total.

BobTheLawyer

Post » 24 Dec 2013, 03:16

bubba_nate wrote:Welcome to the forums! (If you didn't come to the forums just to ask this.)
Welcome regardless!